Berserk Saga Project News

2012 Berserk Film Trilogy's Main Cast, Staff Listed on ANN http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2011-08-24/2011-berserk-film-trilogy-main-cast-staff-listed

Cast:
Guts: Hiroaki Iwanaga (Tomica Hero Rescue Force, Moyashimon, Kamen Rider OOO)
Griffith: Takahiro Sakurai (Toriko, Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Boku-tachi wa Mada Shiranai.)
Casca: Toa Yukinari (Grey's Anatomy dubbing, Naruto Shippūden)

Staff:
Director: Toshiyuki Kubooka (Batman: Gotham Knight episode 5)
Screenplay: Ichiro Okouchi (Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion)
Character Design/Chief Animation Director: Naoyuki Onda (Gantz)
Animation Director: Satoshi Iwataki (Toaru Majutsu no Index)
Art Director: Yusuke Takeda (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex), Goki Nakamura (Cat Soup), others
Art Setting: Mitsuhiro Arita (Final Fantasy XI), others
World Setting Supervisor: Kenichi Iwao (Final Fantasy XI/XIV)
Western Swordsmanship Coach: Jay Noyes (Final Fantasy XII)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Neat, thanks for posting the link (I added the relevant info to your post)! The original VAs aren't reprising their roles apparently. Let's hope the new ones do a good job with it! Funny that some of the staff comes from Final Fantasy games, too.

And I wish we'd know who's doing the music.

I should have done that myself, lazzy me
Apparently Cascas seiyuu Toa Yukinari is rather new to animation. I checked out her one-liners in Steins Gate and Usagi Drop. Her role in DragonCrisis wasn't even specified and I won't look into Naruto. With so little reference it's a bit hard to tell if her voice fits the role. I didn't check the male cast.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Thanks for posting that info, SKplag!

Aazealh said:
The original VAs aren't reprising their roles apparently. Let's hope the new ones do a good job with it!

Agreed! I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do.

Aazealh said:
Funny that some of the staff comes from Final Fantasy games, too.

I'm just glad no one from Final Fantasy XIII is on the list. :troll:

Aazealh said:
And I wish we'd know who's doing the music.

I'm hoping for Susumu, but I have a feeling that it won't be him. The score in the trailer sounded more traditional.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Walter said:
Great, glad these are known quantities now. Griffith's VA being Cloud Strife in that awful Square FF7 movie is sure to please some fans :ganishka: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMmeev8SMgc
Now I'm going to have to go watch this.

I've seen it a while ago but can't remember wich one it is. I liked pretty much all of them in the "movie". check it out walter!

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
Great, glad these are known quantities now. Griffith's VA being Cloud Strife in that awful Square FF7 movie is sure to please some fans :ganishka:

The movie wasn't that great (I enjoyed it when I first saw it, but it does not hold up on repeated viewings), but I liked Cloud's voice. These seiyuu are very good at changing their voices to fit the role, so he might not sound anything like himself in Berserk.

Walter said:

The collection as a whole wasn't that great, but I really enjoyed Episode 5 of Batman: Gotham Knight. I thought it was the best of all the segments.

Thanks for the info!!! Hmmmm, not much to say about the voice actors until I hear them. I really did like Guts and Griffiths' original VA (I don't think I'll miss Casca's), but generally speaking, I'm impressed with most Japanese VAs from anime that I've seen, so I have faith that this cast will be competent. Here's hoping, anyway!

I'm only familiar with Takahiro Sakurai, his voice acting in Code Geass was pretty good.(don't remember Cloud's voice, I think I'll follow Walter's link) And I guess I have to watch Gotham Knight one more time to see if Toshiyuki Kubooka is worthy. :void:

Why change the old sounds I do not think the film will succeed and I hope to be in the film Voice of Canna, Nobutoshi :guts:

Because of http://myanimelist.net/anime/10218/Berserk_Ougon_Jidaihen_I:_Haou_no_Tamago

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
mevoo said:
Why change the old sounds I do not think the film will succeed and I hope to be in the film Voice of Canna, Nobutoshi :guts:
Let's not get too extremist here over some goddamned voice actors. There's a number of good reasons not to use the same voice actors, chiefly among them, it's been 14-15 years since the last anime. I know Nobutoshi did some work for the PS2 game, but that doesn't mean contracting him and everyone else in the original cast would be feasible.

Getting new talent is a totally viable way to go for this project.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Change is good, here's hoping they don't have Guts yelling like an idiot every time he swings his sword. There's no reason to overreact to new...

Walter said:
Griffith's VA being Cloud Strife in that awful Square FF7 movie is sure to please some fans :ganishka:
Oh, fuck me! :femto:

Walter said:

Actually, he's not bad, not so different from the last VA and could be an improvement.

Walter said:
Let's not get too extremist here over some goddamned voice actors.

Remember, the important things here are the amount of CGI used (better be hand drawn! >_<), voice actors (r my favorite seiyu in it? SAGOI ^__^), and if it's a totally bitchen kickass anime one can be proud to rep on 4chan.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
I liked the old Guts. The new guy's got a lot to live up to in my opinion.

Agreed. I don't mind new voice actors, but I've always liked Nobutoshi Canna's take on Guts. Hopefully this new guy has got what it takes.

Griffith

They probably just changed the cast to stop me from doing a combined edition of Berserk: Recut. :carcus:

Anyway, yeah, Guts is the toughest to replace, but judging from the trailer, whether that's an old clip of Canna or new, it doesn't sound like they're going in too different of a direction. Unfortunately, that also indicates that either way they're probably still going to make Guts do this all the time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aLR-8c11ms

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
Walter said:
Great, glad these are known quantities now. Griffith's VA being Cloud Strife in that awful Square FF7 movie is sure to please some fans :ganishka: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMmeev8SMgc
Wait, Griffith's original voice was the guy who play Sephiroth. Weird coincidence.

I definitely think Cloud's VA fits him a lot better though, I never liked Griffith's original VA, too manly sounding for him. I'm looking forward to Takahiro Sakurai taking on the role.

Griffith

DarkDragoon said:
I definitely think Cloud's VA fits him a lot better though, I never liked Griffith's original VA, too manly sounding for him.

Really? I didn't find him that manly, but Griffith's supposed to be a charismatic leader of men, so making him sound unmanly isn't necessarily the goal either. From Mule's description, he's got a soft, vibrating voice that doesn't even sound human. Granted, this is after the Incarnation Ceremony when he's in fact not human, but Guts described his voice as being the same as before.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Really? I didn't find him that manly, but Griffith's supposed to be a charismatic leader of men, so making him sound unmanly isn't necessarily the goal either.

Yeah, I think Toshiyuki Morikawa's voice fitted Griffith pretty well. He's not supposed to sound like a girl.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Yeah, I think Toshiyuki Morikawa's voice fitted Griffith pretty well. He's not supposed to sound like a girl.
No, he should sound like the cowardly weasel he is, because we all know what he's going to do to JUDO! :judo:

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
Griffith said:
Really? I didn't find him that manly, but Griffith's supposed to be a charismatic leader of men, so making him sound unmanly isn't necessarily the goal either. From Mule's description, he's got a soft, vibrating voice that doesn't even sound human. Granted, this is after the Incarnation Ceremony when he's in fact not human, but Guts described his voice as being the same as before.
Perhaps too "manly" was the wrong word. What I mean is that he sounded too much like your average, deep-voiced man, it didn't sound "soft" or "vibrating" at all. It just sounded like a man. I personally think Griffith's voice should be more unique than that, considering it was described as not even sounding human. I think the new VA has the potential to sound a little more like that, maybe.

Griffith

DarkDragoon said:
Perhaps too "manly" was the wrong word. What I mean is that he sounded too much like your average, deep-voiced man, it didn't sound "soft" or "vibrating" at all.

So, too "humanly." =) I don't know, I thought it fit the criteria alright, though it's all pretty subjective. He didn't sound harsh or anything, and they shouldn't go too far where his voice sounds high or sing-songy either.

DarkDragoon said:
It just sounded like a man. I personally think Griffith's voice should be more unique than that, considering it was described as not even sounding human. I think the new VA has the potential to sound a little more like that, maybe.

I thought he sounded similar, but with a little more emotion in his voice, which I liked. No telling how he's going to portray Griffith though, but I'd like to hear a more confident, earnest version of that (exuberant, even). My fear is they're going to try to approximate the same voices, which sort of defeats the purpose of recasting.

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
Griffith's old VA was my favorite out of all the characters. The new one sounds appropriate enough, I just need to not watch clips of Cloud, or I'm going to subconsciously find reasons to be annoyed. :slan:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The official pages for the cast & staff are online:

http://www.berserkfilm.com/about/cast.html
http://www.berserkfilm.com/about/staff.html

We're getting a little footage of Casca's and Griffith's childhood flashbacks at the top, which is always nice.

The trailer page now also shows Guts' first encounter with the Skull Knight, and is clearly arranged so new trailers can be added easily.

http://www.berserkfilm.com/trailer/

In other news, tomorrow (August 27th) a Berserk booth will be held at the character & hobby convention "Chara 2011" (キャラホビ2011) which is taking place in the Makuhari Messe. A lifesize replica of the Dragon Slayer will be displayed (over 2 meters long apparently), and some footage from the movie will be shown on nine big screens.

Aazealh said:
The official pages for the cast & staff are online:

We're getting a little footage of Casca's and Griffith's childhood flashbacks at the top, which is always nice.

The trailer page now also shows Guts' first encounter with the Skull Knight, and is clearly arranged so new trailers can be added easily.

Thanks for the info Aaz!!! Those teaser pics up top are fantastic. I'm loving it!!! The SK/Guts one is extremely cool, and I think the young Griffith running is quite pretty. Also, I didn't realize this, but the youtube trailer that they have on their site is full 1080p!!! I just watched the trailer again, in all its glory. SO beautiful!

Aazealh said:
In other news, tomorrow (August 27th) a Berserk booth will be held at the character & hobby convention "Chara 2011" (キャラホビ2011) which is taking place in the Makuhari Messe. A lifesize replica of the Dragon Slayer will be displayed (over 2 meters long apparently), and some footage from the movie will be shown on nine big screens.

!!! Man, if there is new footage shown, I sure as hell hope it makes its way to the internet!!!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DirectDK said:
Also, I didn't realize this, but the youtube trailer that they have on their site is full 1080p!!! I just watched the trailer again, in all its glory. SO beautiful!

Of course, it's been up on the official youtube channel for a month now.

DirectDK said:
Man, if there is new footage shown, I sure as hell hope it makes its way to the internet!!!

Keep your fingers crossed. :slan:

Top Bottom