Berserk Saga Project News

ApostleBob said:
After looking at the 'Dragon Killer' picture from the convention some more, I think the size of it in comparison to those people might be deceptive. The guy and girl aren't right next to it, but are several feet closer to the camera. Might just be a perspective thing.

I don't think so man. The sword doesn't look to scale, not only is it smaller than the Dragon Slayer in absolute size, but the height to width proportion looks wrong (ie, the sword is no long enough).

Whatever, as long as they get it right in the anime.

On the subject of that, I'm not super fond of those three 'face' pictures either. Guts' face is too round and soft, and the others aren't great either. Maybe the animation throughout will change, some shots will look more like the manga, while others look more like ....ahhhh, that posted picture.

And as others have mentioned, hopefully the find Guts' clothes in that first scene with Skully.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
Dragon Killer? Why call it that if you're going to stay true to the manga. It also looks a bit short considering it's not bigger than the random guy walking by haha!
NightCrawler said:
facepalm2.gif
Gobolatula said:
EUUUUGGGGGHHHHHHH. .. .. .

They could do a little bit of research... Yeah, it means the same thing, but why not google "Guts' sword" before you print that up...?
As Gobs indicated, Dragon Killer is a correct translation of the original japanese term, "DORAGON Koroshi" (ドラゴン ころし). It's no reason to be upset. Dragon Slayer is simply a more elegant approximation of the term in English, to our ears. But "Killer" is just as correct as Slayer or even Murderer. I also think the replica looks pretty good.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Walter said:
As Gobs indicated, Dragon Killer is a correct translation of the original japanese term, "DORAGON Koroshi" (ドラゴン ころし). It's no reason to be upset. Dragon Slayer is simply a more elegant approximation of the term in English, to our ears. But "Killer" is just as correct as Slayer or even Murderer. I also think the replica looks pretty good.

Nevertheless it was pretty jarring mistake. If they don't know how it is pronounced outside of Japan, why print it in English?

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
NightCrawler said:
Nevertheless it was pretty jarring mistake. If they don't know how it is pronounced outside of Japan, why print it in English?
Japan doesn't print stuff in English for the sake of America, they do it because they like printing stuff in English. We don't matter that much.

Also, who decided that "Slayer" was correct in the first place? When was it first called that?

DarkDragoon said:
Japan doesn't print stuff in English for the sake of America, they do it because they like printing stuff in English. We don't matter that much.

Also, who decided that "Slayer" was correct in the first place? When was it first called that?
Well, the first Berserk-related product that ever got an "official" English translation that I'm aware of was the Dreamcast game, which called it the Dragon Slayer. Now, there's nothing wrong with "Slayer," I like the term for the sword as well, but the translation of that game was...not very good, to put it lightly.

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
Cyrus Jong said:
Well, the first Berserk-related product that ever got an "official" English translation that I'm aware of was the Dreamcast game, which called it the Dragon Slayer. Now, there's nothing wrong with "Slayer," I like the term for the sword as well, but the translation of that game was...not very good, to put it lightly.
Well in that case, I wouldn't call it a "jarring mistake," to not call it a term that originated from a poorly translated video game. And the thing is, it's just a name on a display in Japan, it has nothing to do with an English translation. Japan just writes names of things in English because they like to, and, as far as Japan is concerned, Dragon Killer is the way to write it in English. When the anime actually gets dubbed I would bet it will be called the Dragon Slayer.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
It's no Knight of Skeleton as far as undesirable translations go, that's for sure. Then again, we need to be prepared for discrepancies...

www.knightofskeleton.net :SK:

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Griffith said:
It's no Knight of Skeleton as far as undesirable translations go, that's for sure. Then again, we need to be prepared for discrepancies...

www.knightofskeleton.net :SK:
Good boy.

Yeah, it's silly to get upset over "undesirable" translations, but I do it so much! Dragon Killer and Dragon Slayer are the same thing, but it's just that "slayer" sounds cooler.

Though with "skull knight," I think Aaz was telling me that the Japanese text of "SKULL KNIGHT" translates directly to "SKULL KNIGHT" with no wiggle room for any errors. Needless to say, the Berserk Project guys aren't English translating experts and when the movie's released, I'm sure we'll get something real good.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
That sword replica doesn't look that bad to me, and they said it was over 2 meters long, so it shouldn't be too small either. Maybe it's the perspective. As for the name "Dragon Slayer", it came from BSOM as far as I know. Sure, "Dragon Killer" isn't so good, but really guys, if you want to nitpick about the Japanese using incorrect names, this is but a drop in the ocean. And I don't think anyone here wants me to start schooling them about the use of proper terms in Berserk in general, official or unofficial.

Gobolatula said:
Though with "skull knight," I think Aaz was telling me that the Japanese text of "SKULL KNIGHT" translates directly to "SKULL KNIGHT" with no wiggle room for any errors.

Well it could always be "Knight of Skull", but that'd be stupid. Less stupid than "Knight of Skeleton" though, and more correct.

Gobolatula said:
Needless to say, the Berserk Project guys aren't English translating experts and when the movie's released, I'm sure we'll get something real good.

That's what it comes down to. These guys know as much about English as the average member here knows about Japanese. It's nothing new.

In other news (i.e. actual news), a new CM is soon to be released. It's currently undergoing Automated Dialogue Replacement (post-recording), which means we'll hear some of the voice acting.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Aazealh said:
n other news (i.e. actual news), a new CM is soon to be released. It's currently undergoing Automated Dialogue Replacement (post-recording), which means we'll hear some of the voice acting.

Great news. How soon is soon?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
Great news. How soon is soon?

Well if I had a date I'd have posted it obviously, so... be patient. :slan:

I don't expect it to take a month, but it could be "not so soon". In truth they didn't give any indication.

Aazealh said:
In other news (i.e. actual news), a new CM is soon to be released. It's currently undergoing Automated Dialogue Replacement (post-recording), which means we'll hear some of the voice acting.

YOSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! :guts: :guts: :ubik: :ubik: :casca: :casca:

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Aazealh said:
You're aware the movie focuses on the Golden Age arc, aren't you?
Well... Who knows when it comes to the commercial. Odds are it's gonna be for volume 36. Last time, they showed scenes from all over the place.

But, at the same time, they'd probably wanna show off what they got going.

X

Xem

Aazealh said:
You're aware the movie focuses on the Golden Age arc, aren't you?

Of course, I was just assuming since all the other CMs were from random parts of the manga that this would follow suit.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
Here is the studio where the film's music is being recorded: http://www.airstudios.com/studios/lyndhurst-hall.aspx

It's a prestigious place apparently. Clara_de_Porras has posted various pictures of it on Twitter (01 | 02 | 03). The names of the people working on the music will be announced later.
Well, that gives us enough information to deduce that it will be, at least in large part, an orchestral score, and not something electronic.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Well, that gives us enough information to deduce that it will be, at least in large part, an orchestral score, and not something electronic.

Indeed, although that already seemed likely anyway.

Top Bottom