Berserk Saga Project News

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
I think parts of it looked really cool, and I'm really glad to see them staying faithful with certain details (like Guts wearing the right armor,) but I have to say, again, that the CG looks bad. And there aren't too many things worse and more distracting than bad CGI, just ask Lost.

NightCrawler said:
I think it looks/sounds pretty embarrassing. Not really enjoying it at all. Too clean. Unconvincing CG.

DarkDragoon said:
but I have to say, again, that the CG looks bad. And there aren't too many things worse and more distracting than bad CGI, just ask Lost.

Just curious, what's bad about the CG? To me, the only clip that stood out to me was the horse riding scene at the end of the "Kiss" video. Other than that, I thought everything look fantastic. Maybe I don't have the eye for it, though.

NightCrawler said:
Why the silly voice acting?

I think we all agree the "Kiss" voice acting was pretty bad. Luckily, those were just voice overs done for the ad. Yes, they were by the actual voice actors but they weren't in context. When I saw Casca shouting at Guts in the waterfall scene, saying "something something BERSERK", I was thinking, what da heck? But thedigitalsin pointed out that she was saying "I love Berserk", which is pretty hilarious. Anyways, point being, I don't think we can take much from these CMs about the voice actors. I do think Guts sounded good though, and judging by this CM, if no one had told me the original Guts voice actor had left, I would have believed it was the same guy.

Walter said:
Studio 4C, give this man a job! Such a huge improvement... Great work, DK!

Aazealh said:
Hehe, that's mah man! Walter's right, these guys should totally hire you. :casca:

OMG that would be a dream come true!!! I'd move to Japan in an instant!!!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DirectDK said:
I do think Guts sounded good though, and judging by this CM, if no one had told me the original Guts voice actor had left, I would have believed it was the same guy.

Yeah they sound a lot like each other to me, which I don't mind at all as I always liked the original VA.

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
DirectDK said:
Just curious, what's bad about the CG? To me, the only clip that stood out to me was the horse riding scene at the end of the "Kiss" video. Other than that, I thought everything look fantastic. Maybe I don't have the eye for it, though.
I don't know, it just stands out to me too much, it reminds me of an anime-style video game. Though the more I watch it the less I notice it and the better it looks, so I probably just need to get used to it. I'm still completely optimistic that the finished product will look great.

Sammoniac

You taffers!
I said earlier that I liked the CG. The reason : its so fluid and technicaly malleable. There's no other way they could have animated such huge armies (there are a lot of them in Berserk). So we have to cope with it. I prefer having computer animated soldiers than boring still shots in a movie. I think they did a good job blending the CG with the hand-drawn elements. I also believe it will greatly enhance the fight scenes. Even with so little footage, I'm already used to it.

I have to say at first that my expectations were really low, so I guess I'm pleasantly surprised. I'm sure that its going to be awesome to see in HD.

Although I'm not particularly impressed with such extremely short TV spots overall, they have given me some glimmer of hope for the upcoming movie. Accurate animated rendition of Zodd's horns aside, I'm also quite happy with the way Studio 4°C handled Casca in the new CMs. Casca's face and features are more closer and accurate to her manga counterpart than they were in any previous promo shots, the one from that Newtype poster in particular.

Sammoniac said:
There's no other way they could have animated such huge armies (there are a lot of them in Berserk).

To be more correct - there's no other way they could've animated such huge armies cheaply and expediently, with a shoestring budget.

Sammoniac said:
So we have to cope with it.

Perhaps the voice acting and musical score are gonna be so top notch, that it just might outweigh the movie's CGI animated shortcomings. Heck, if that happens, I may even watch (and enjoy) the Egg of the Supreme King while wearing very dark-blue tinted sunglasses so that an occasional visual/continuity error or any poorly done CG effect or two will not be as noticeable to my eyes :serpico:

ShinHell9

I started on here when I was like 14...
Just picked up vol. 36 in Tokyo yesterday and saw the small ad for this, I'm really glad I'll be in Japan when this comes out. Does anyone know if any websites have a list of what theaters it will be playing in?

Hi again everyone.

Eddie said:
Just picked up vol. 36 in Tokyo yesterday and saw the small ad for this, I'm really glad I'll be in Japan when this comes out. Does anyone know if any websites have a list of what theaters it will be playing in?

Um... consider me JEALOUS!!! That's awesome Eddie! Maybe a should plan a trip in January too. Only problem is I'll have to learn the language in 3 months if I want to get the most out of the movie. =P

And no, I doubt any websites have shown a listing of theaters yet. I'm sure if you're in any of the big cities you'll have no problems finding a showing.

Fell asleep last night while uploading these pics.

The YA issue with episode 325 had these color pages with movie news -

IMG_8448-1.jpg

IMG_8449-1.jpg

IMG_8452-1.jpg

IMG_8455-1.jpg

IMG_8457-1.jpg

IMG_8458-1.jpg

Who's the person in the last picture? Interesting to see Hirasawa, I wonder what his comment says!

Here's pictures of the promo sleeve off Vol 36 with movie news -

IMG_8438-1-1.jpg

IMG_8439-1.jpg

IMG_8441-1.jpg

IMG_8443-1.jpg

IMG_8445-1.jpg

Don't know what any of that says, but that snap-shot of hard-working Miura is cute.

I think the cg is better than just the static action shots of the old anime, with people chanting " yaarrr yarrr!"

BTW hi everyone! this is my first post here :ubik:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Señor Caudillo said:
To be more correct - there's no other way they could've animated such huge armies cheaply and expediently, with a shoestring budget.

You don't know what the budget is, so don't call it "shoestring". Yeah, we'd all like this to be the biggest animation project ever attempted by anyone, but at some point you have to stop ranting and face reality, especially given the amount of material there is to animate.

IncantatioN said:
Who's the person in the last picture?

Sagisu Shirô, the man composing the soundtrack.

IncantatioN said:
Don't know what any of that says, but that snap-shot of hard-working Miura is cute.

That's from volume 32's dust jacket. It's a reference to the battle that took place in Vritannis, specifically to the "rain of arrows" that the huge Kushan army unleashed on the Holy See alliance. Drawing all those soldiers was quite laborious at the time.

Great stuff :serpico: One thing I do like is the use of lighting in what we've seen so far. That image of Griffith makes me appreciate the extra effort they're going to for the lighting. I know it's not favored by everyone but light blooming effects such as the duel between Guts and Griffith and the scene with Zodd make me appreciate the extra effort they've put in, it compliments some of the CG scenes quite nicely..

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
JezzaX said:
That image of Griffith makes me appreciate the extra effort they're going to for the lighting. I know it's not favored by everyone but light blooming effects ...
Are we sure that's not just IncantatioN's camera flash? :griffnotevil:

For this image?

IMG_8449-1.jpg

It doesn't appear to be from what I can see.

EDIT: But then, looking at the smaller image, it doesn't look as pronounced.

My bad guys ... sorry for that, I didn't upload the picture I took without Flash because the one with looked sharper to my sleepyhead this morning. Here's the one I took without -

IMG_8451-1.jpg

And this other panel without Flash -

IMG_8456-1.jpg

Aazealh said:
Sagisu Shirô, the man composing the soundtrack.

It completely slipped my mind that this man was responsible for the Casshern soundtrack (some of which is shared with Bleach). But this has just made me really excited as I love the sounds in this film and I have complete faith he will do Berserk justice with Hirasawa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi1M84pfhfc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExTsYH0sDLc

It's amazing what that flash did for that picture of Griffith holding open the tent flap (?). With it I had thought it may have been taking place around the time him and Guts took a bath together. Don't ask me why, I just thought it was around that time. And now without the flash I can see it takes place somewhere entirely different. Seems to be when Guts first woke up after his first fight with Griffith. I'm used to seeing camera flashes cover people's faces, not blend in with the sky. Very sneaky!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Handmade_lion said:
Griffith holding open the tent flap (?).

He's holding Guts' sword. :slan:

Anyway, welcome to all newcomers. Sorry for the registration delay, we're getting a lot of spam these days and it slows the process down.

IncantatioN said:

Thanks for the pictures buddy! I'm liking these two shots a lot. From these screenshots and from the TVCMs and previous movie trailer, I think Studio 4C is doing a great job with the environments. Lots of detail and colors. All very easy on the eyes for me. =)

JezzaX said:
It completely slipped my mind that this man was responsible for the Casshern soundtrack (some of which is shared with Bleach). But this has just made me really excited as I love the sounds in this film and I have complete faith he will do Berserk justice with Hirasawa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi1M84pfhfc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExTsYH0sDLc

Shiro Sagisu looks like a rockstar, btw. And thanks for the links JezzaX. Hmm... it's hard to tell from just these two songs. I'm not too happy with the sound samples he used in these two songs. Sound a bit too synthy for me. Granted, Hirasawa uses a ton of synth too, but in a different way. Hirasawa creates a beautiful balance of electronica in a natural organic space. Definitely no other style quite like Hirasawa's. Anyways, I'm not hating on Sagisu by any means. Every project is different, and maybe those two tracks fit Casshern perfectly. I doubt that Sagisu will try to mimic Hirasawa's style for Berserk. That would be silly. I'm sure Sagisu is going to compose a soundtrack how he sees Berserk. (I wonder if he's a fan? That would be extra bonus points if he is.) I'm just hoping it doesn't sound generic. The music in the TVCM and trailers sound like good epic music and all, but a bit on the generic side. I'm hoping for something a bit more.

On a side note, in a movie's sense (compared to a tv sense), when they say Hirasawa is doing the theme song, I believe it'll be more than just the song that plays during the ending credits. It could easily mean that his song will play out during the movie itself too. In fact, we may hear his theme in many different renditions throughout the movie and it may be absolutely wonderful. At least, that is my hope anyway!

Oh! And I wonder if Hirasawa will do one theme per movie, hehehehe.

DirectDK said:
Shiro Sagisu looks like a rockstar, btw. And thanks for the links JezzaX. Hmm... it's hard to tell from just these two songs. I'm not too happy with the sound samples he used in these two songs. Sound a bit too synthy for me. Granted, Hirasawa uses a ton of synth too, but in a different way. Hirasawa creates a beautiful balance of electronica in a natural organic space. Definitely no other style quite like Hirasawa's. Anyways, I'm not hating on Sagisu by any means. Every project is different, and maybe those two tracks fit Casshern perfectly. I doubt that Sagisu will try to mimic Hirasawa's style for Berserk. That would be silly. I'm sure Sagisu is going to compose a soundtrack how he sees Berserk. (I wonder if he's a fan? That would be extra bonus points if he is.) I'm just hoping it doesn't sound generic. The music in the TVCM and trailers sound like good epic music and all, but a bit on the generic side. I'm hoping for something a bit more.

On a side note, in a movie's sense (compared to a tv sense), when they say Hirasawa is doing the theme song, I believe it'll be more than just the song that plays during the ending credits. It could easily mean that his song will play out during the movie itself too. In fact, we may hear his theme in many different renditions throughout the movie and it may be absolutely wonderful. At least, that is my hope anyway!

Oh! And I wonder if Hirasawa will do one theme per movie, hehehehe.

I'd love for Hirasawa to make multiple songs, but I'm not getting my hopes up and I'm expecting he will be contribute in a similar way to the PS2 game.

As for the links I sent you, I can understand what you mean for some of it, but you can't deny the emotions emitted in the latter half of the second one I posted. I also seem to imagine Guts' running scene after the eclipse when I listen to this one too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5CUVU2DKvU&feature=related it just fits in my head.

Either way, I reckon both Hirasawa and Sagisu will collaborate to make something original and fitting to Berserk like you say. I think they picked the right composers for the project.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DirectDK said:
Anyways, I'm not hating on Sagisu by any means. Every project is different, and maybe those two tracks fit Casshern perfectly.

Casshern is a science-fiction story, so the music sounding "synthy" is kind of par for the course.

DirectDK said:
The music in the TVCM and trailers sound like good epic music and all, but a bit on the generic side. I'm hoping for something a bit more.
Aazealh said:
the new CMs' music won't be from Hirasawa Susumu or Sagisu Shirô.

Top Bottom