Berserk Saga Project News

Oh my God, I just had my best party ever, haven't slept an hour all night, and then came back in the morning and
THIS IS WHAT I SEE!!! :isidro:
Most awesome 24 hours in my life ever!! Thank you for the link, Raffo!
DarkDragoon said:
It's like Berserk went to heaven and became a god. A beautiful, divine, fucked-up god.
Perfect description, I was also thinking something like this but I couldn't describe it this well :serpico:

I could write some evil critique about the CGI and those "WTF is this, there was nothing like this in the manga" scenes, but I won't, because I'm too excited...
Realistic movements, bright colors, Hirasawa's music, and good VAs... Berserk never fails to amaze me by proving it can get even more awesome than before...

And daaaamn, imagine this in a theatre!!! *faints and nosebleed* Those lucky japanese!
It's a bit off, but I'm really hoping for that they'll show this movie in cinemas in my country... I remember last year there was an anime day in one of the "Art Cinemas", and they played famous anime movies... Berserk would be worth to show in theatre!!
If this happens, and I can watch it, I think I'll almost die of awesomeness overdose...

edit: it was full of mistakes because of excitement, I'm still trying to fix them, lol...

DirectDK said:
HOLY SWEET MOTHER OF ALL THINGS GOOD AND BAD AND IN THIS WORLD OF EXISTENCE!!!!!!!

I loved it. Absolutely positively LOVED IT. Chills everywhere, I swear, and even a little teary eyed. I kid you not. I am man enough to admit it! This trailer got me teary eyed!!!

It's so absolutely gorgeous. The facial expressions, the colors, the environments, the war scenes... It's so beautiful.

The voice acting, hell I got so lost in the moment, I totally even forgot these were new voice actors. Everything fit for me.

And honestly, I don't need to comment on the first song (SUSUMU IS AWESOME AND THE SONG IS AWESOME AND BERSERK IS AWESOME), but I really dug the 2nd song too. I don't know what the lyrics are, but I think it fit very beautifully with the trailer. The scene where Charlotte hugs Griffith, and the scene where Griffith and Guts are smiling at each other like little kids... BEAUTIFUL.

I AM SO HAPPY.

I assumed you were a fan of the song used in the second half. You would've had to been to become teary-eyed. I know this because the same sensation fell over me!

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
It was pretty enjoyable to see it, the title of the song of the anime series "Waiting so long" is how I feel right now, for this movie to arrive. They put the name of the songs in the trailer, or just the artists name? I can't read japanese so if anyone can verify, I wold be thankful.

Walter said:
There's also some liberties being taken, not all of which are bad in my opinion. But namely a Guts/Casca scene that's transposed to be in a different location, and where exactly is Griffith standing triumphantly atop? Doldrey? Doesn't make much sense. He was on the front lines, not doing the infiltration. Maybe just "some other mission."

I thought Griffith was on that castle when Guts fights Basuzo, even though still he wasn't doing that, or as you said, maybe they added another mission. Also, could be Doldrey, but they sure changed the size of the castle and the mountains behind it.

Makes me wonder, if all we saw in the trailer will be in the movie, or is part of the second one as well? Depending on how long it is, it's still alot to cover.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DarkDragoon said:
It's weird, at first the animation seemed weird to me, like there was too much cg or something. But the more I watched, it just seems like the animation is really, really well done; it looks absolutely beautiful and really high-budget, so much so that I'm not used to seeing anime like that.

In some scenes the CG did jump out at me, like when Guts is charging on his horse for example, it felt like the horse was an object moving along a plane and that took me out of it. Overall though it's pretty competent.

Handmade_lion said:
2. the last previously animated what I like to call 'the winding staircase swordfight of unlimited space.' If it's one thing 'Guts' Rage' taught any of us, it's that you can't swing a longsword just anywhere you please. Different swords, granted, but they all share a continuity of length. There are walls. And solid objects. And it made us particularly pissed at this scene in the 90s anime, when Guts could do wide slices on two separate men on a staircase. Hehehe! A fun little thing to look for in the new movie.

The '97 series merely replicated the scene from the manga. The staircase isn't that narrow and Guts slashes the first guard vertically before cutting down the second one horizontally.

Walter said:
And that "other" song, uh... let's just forget about it, okay guys?

I didn't mind it.

Walter said:
But namely a Guts/Casca scene that's transposed to be in a different location

They also changed the dialogue.

Walter said:
where exactly is Griffith standing triumphantly atop? Doldrey? Doesn't make much sense. He was on the front lines, not doing the infiltration. Maybe just "some other mission."

Doesn't look like Doldrey at all and I doubt we'll see it in the first movie anyway, so it's got to be something else. Hopefully they didn't change the outcome of the battle during which Guts defeated Bazûso (where the Band of the Falcon lost), so that would mean something they added. Probably when Guts gets that feather he's got tucked in his cape at 1:15 as well.

Walter said:
Voice acting: Love Guts. Not a fan of how small Griffith sounds -- his voice doesn't resonate with me. It's just shrill. Casca is just so-so. No complaints about Zodd, though!

I like Guts; I dug the previous guy but the new one does a great job as well. I haven't listened to them side by side but I think they sound relatively similar anyway. Not a fan of the new Griffith either though (sounds like he speaks through the nose to me); I prefer the former voice actor. As for Casca, I think it's an improvement. Not that the old voice actress was bad, but her voice was too shrill.

Th3Branded0ne said:
They put the name of the songs in the trailer, or just the artists name? I can't read japanese so if anyone can verify, I wold be thankful.

Yeah, the names are in there. Hirasawa's song is titled "Aria". A.I.'s is "ウツクシキモノ" which means "Something Beautiful" or "Someone Beautiful" (or "A Beautiful Thing/Person").

Th3Branded0ne said:
Makes me wonder, if all we saw in the trailer will be in the movie, or is part of the second one as well? Depending on how long it is, it's still alot to cover.

Not that long really, considering the parts they're skipping. I'm still pretty concerned about how they're slicing the story and what they're adding/removing.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
I eagerly await for a kind hearted (and very beautiful) person to translate the trailer for us. :griffnotevil:

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I don't know what you b-holes are talking about. That second song ruled.

I was very happy with this trailer. I was like, "YES. YES YES YES YES YES....."

I'm somehow not upset about the additions / changes. Though I am worried. I loved the triumphant Griffith shot. And I kinda like Guts and Casca in that pretty ... area.

Yeah, I mean I recognize most of the dialogue but if someone could sub a YouTube video, that would rule, directdk.

I liked both songs, with an obvious preference to Hirasawa's work. Although, the second song seems more like something of an emotional reflective song at times, a little like the Guts theme from the old anime that Hirasawa was responsible for.

This new trailer has reaffirmed my faith. Although there are some niggles which may irritate some of the more thorough manga readers, they appear minor to me in this trailer, so long as it doesn't change the course of the original story like the old anime by backing itself into a corner and maintains this epic high budget feel, I should be happy.

Both songs sound pretty good. Agreed on choice of footage for the second song. Maybe not the best. Definetly need to hear the entire Susumu track!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
JezzaX said:
Although there are some niggles which may irritate some of the more thorough manga readers, they appear minor to me in this trailer, so long as it doesn't change the course of the original story like the old anime by backing itself into a corner and maintains this epic high budget feel, I should be happy.

At this point I can't say that this movie seems much more faithful to the manga than the TV series was. Nor would I say that the changes are minor when scenes take place in different locations with altered dialogue or when we don't know where some of the footage is from. Not that it'll necessarily ruin the experience or anything, but I don't think your comparison is fair here.

Aazealh said:
At this point I can't say that this movie seems much more faithful to the manga than the TV series was. Nor would I say that the changes are minor when scenes take place in different locations with altered dialogue or when we don't know where some of the footage is from. Not that it'll necessarily ruin the experience or anything, but I don't think your comparison is fair here.

My version of minor, may differ from another Aaz. I know many people aren't too happy to see new or altered scenes, but they appear to be minor or forgivable alterations if it means keeping the film to a specific running time and progressing the plot in the same direction by my standards. I agree, we can't say that's it's going to be more faithful than the 97 series but provided it continues after the eclipse, which seems possible with the inclusion of Skull Knight so far and is higher in quality than it was 14 years ago, then I would have little to complain about and I'll be grateful it's being made at all.

Love it! I like when guts introduces himself to griffith. Hes got an I dont give a fuck if you know my name or not tone to it.

Bad ass trailer, Cant wait :ubik:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
JezzaX said:
My version of minor, may differ from another Aaz. I know many people aren't too happy to see new or altered scenes, but they appear to be minor or forgivable alterations if it means keeping the film to a specific running time and progressing the plot in the same direction by my standards.

I'm sorry but there's no "version" of what minor means, especially in the context of your comparison. It was just an unwarranted understatement on your part, of the kind that's been recurring in discussions about the movie ever since the first footage was shown. And I don't see how transposing that scene of Guts & Casca getting into an argument to another location would have any effect on what you mention.

JezzaX said:
I agree, we can't say that's it's going to be more faithful than the 97 series but provided it continues after the eclipse, which seems possible with the inclusion of Skull Knight so far and is higher in quality than it was 14 years ago, then I would have little to complain about and I'll be grateful it's being made at all.

They announced very early on that they planned on animating the entire series, so there's no need to guess here. Yet at the same time, I think it's too early to start dreaming about it. Whether it's made or not depends on how successful the movies will be, and is way beyond the scope of this first movie's faithfulness to the manga. So I'm glad you're "grateful it's being made at all" but that's irrelevant. Again, some people have been saying this as a means to justify their eagerness to overlook any possible problem with the movie ever since it was announced. That's fine by me, but if that's all it comes down to then they shouldn't pretend to assess whether the changes made matter or not (since nothing will bother them).

DirectDK said:
HOLY SWEET MOTHER OF ALL THINGS GOOD AND BAD AND IN THIS WORLD OF EXISTENCE!!!!!!!

I loved it. Absolutely positively LOVED IT. Chills everywhere, I swear, and even a little teary eyed. I kid you not. I am man enough to admit it! This trailer got me teary eyed!!!

It's so absolutely gorgeous. The facial expressions, the colors, the environments, the war scenes... It's so beautiful.

The voice acting, hell I got so lost in the moment, I totally even forgot these were new voice actors. Everything fit for me.

And honestly, I don't need to comment on the first song (SUSUMU IS AWESOME AND THE SONG IS AWESOME AND BERSERK IS AWESOME), but I really dug the 2nd song too. I don't know what the lyrics are, but I think it fit very beautifully with the trailer. The scene where Charlotte hugs Griffith, and the scene where Griffith and Guts are smiling at each other like little kids... BEAUTIFUL.

I AM SO HAPPY.

I can't describe my reaction to the trailer any better than this. I was really happy with Zodd's voice in particular. I never liked how he was handled in the television series and this new interpretation of Zodd is much closer to how I imagined he would sound. Casca and Griffith sound good as well but I felt that Guts sounds exceptional. I'm really looking forward to hearing more how the actor handles Guts' character as the series goes on. Susumu Hirasawa's new song is transcendent, as usual, and I also liked AI's song as well. I felt her song was beautiful in combination with the quick shot from the assasination scene and the close-ups of Guts and Griffith from their first meeting towards the end of the trailer.

I was in absolute shock over how cool the trailer was while watching it but the sunlight-pierced title card at the end really killed me in terms of inducing misty man tears. I'm absolutely importing this as soon as the home video release hits Japan. If not for anything but to at least help support the studio so that they keep animating the story past the Golden Age arc. Its great seeing younger Guts, but its high time for the Black Swordsman to get up on the screen for longer than the single-episode teaser we got so long ago in the television series. :guts:

Seeing as the trailer's definite of what will appear in the first part of the movie (please don't kill me if it's not! ... like those CM's had possible footage of future arcs) where in the story do you think this movie will end? End of Volume 6 perhaps?

Having just watched the Trailer, I am very impressed by what has been shown. My hopes are quite high for this movie and the hopes that it might be successful. Seeing so many new additional changes in Berserk in anime form again is rather interesting, from the sounds of it the cast is very well selected and I am also impressed with the lead Seiyu for Gutts. Even though I wanted the old cast back I get the feeling the new ensemble cast will do a good job.

The animation I will admit still bothers me with the mix of 2D & CG, I'm more into the older form of traditional animation for anime but I think this hits the nail perfectly. The movements for some of the characters in cel shaded CG looks pretty good not to mention the animation for this looks abundant and quite colorful as well as alive.

One other thing, hearing Susumu Hirasawa in Berserk is something great to hear after all these years and the new song is pretty powerful from what very little we heard, Hopefully somewhere in the film there will be enough room for Forces. The other song by AI is a nice new addition as well to bring to the table.

But overall the trailer is very good, I think we are in for something spectacular and we are getting something Berserk has needed for a very long time.

Aazealh said:
I'm sorry but there's no "version" of what minor means, especially in the context of your comparison. It was just an unwarranted understatement on your part, of the kind that's been recurring in discussions about the movie ever since the first footage was shown. And I don't see how transposing that scene of Guts & Casca getting into an argument to another location would have any effect on what you mention.

You may assess my comparison as being an understatement and that's your opinion, much in the same way that I'm entitled to one. The studio (and perhaps Miura, if he had any creative input at all for the production) obviously decided there's a reason to take this direction for either the theatrical purpose of the film itself or to adjust the story to fit in the time allowed. It's unlikely that they thought they would add scenes for the sake of adding them unless they have a specific reason. What I'm saying is, I'm hopeful that their changes would not be detrimental to the original source material and may become a minor change when considered in the grand scheme of things. This is coming from the perspective of someone who will be open minded about creative changes of a director provided they work on the whole.

Also, I'm aware they announced early on that they intend to do as much of the manga as possible. I'm also aware that this is dependent on the success of the first three films they have in production, since this isn't a charity based fan service, it's business. I also find it insulting that I'm seemingly being naive and letting things slide. I have my issues and gripes with the production like I would anything else, I'm just not as much of an analyst as some of the more (for lack of a better word) zealous Berserk fans and can remain optimistic about some changes if they are deemed necessary. Whether or not this rings true will only be found in the final cut of the film. My optimism can also stem from the fact that one key character that was cut from the previous series, has been shown as having a place this time around and is more likely to make an appearance where it matters to make the continuation possible.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Julalien said:
I was really happy with Zodd's voice in particular. I never liked how he was handled in the television series and this new interpretation of Zodd is much closer to how I imagined he would sound.

Hehehe yeah they invested into some special sound effects this time instead of having the voice actor try to sound like a monster. :void:

Julalien said:
Its great seeing younger Guts, but its high time for the Black Swordsman to get up on the screen for longer than the single-episode teaser we got so long ago in the television series. :guts:

Amen to that, but that won't be for a while. A long while...

IncantatioN said:
Seeing as the trailer's definite of what will appear in the first part of the movie (please don't kill me if it's not! ... like those CM's had possible footage of future arcs) where in the story do you think this movie will end? End of Volume 6 perhaps?

Somewhere in volume 6 would be my guess (after the assassination for example). It doesn't have to be the end.

Skullgrin140 said:
Hopefully somewhere in the film there will be enough room for Forces.

I wouldn't count on that.

JezzaX said:
You may assess my comparison as being an understatement

I'm not "assessing your comparison", what I said was an understatement was to call the changes "minor". Don't try making smart-sounding sentences if you don't even understand what you're saying.

JezzaX said:
that's your opinion, much in the same way that I'm entitled to one.

Ah, the old classic. Nothing can better express the lack of a valid argument.

JezzaX said:
The studio (and perhaps Miura, if he had any creative input at all for the production) obviously decided there's a reason to take this direction for either the theatrical purpose of the film itself or to adjust the story to fit in the time allowed. It's unlikely that they thought they would add scenes for the sake of adding them unless they have a specific reason. What I'm saying is, I'm hopeful that their changes would not be detrimental to the original source material and may become a minor change when considered in the grand scheme of things. This is coming from the perspective of someone who will be open minded about creative changes of a director provided they work on the whole.

What you're saying is that you're guessing there's a good reason for it. Despite the verbosity that's all it amounts to. Only your uninformed guesses don't hold any ground in regard to the changes the scene underwent, as you would have known had you thought about it a little before posting. But please, why don't you elaborate on how changing that scene is supposed to help the "theatrical purpose" or to "adjust the story to fit in the time allowed"? Hell, what does that even mean? Shortening the movie? Because if so, it seems to me that it's rather lengthening it, probably in order to evenly distribute the material from the manga between the 3 movies (as said material doesn't readily lend itself to making a movie trilogy, especially since they're apparently cutting off the beginning of the arc). So yeah, how does changing the characters' posture, attitude, dialogue help achieve anything? And why is it minor to you? What would it take for a change to be significant?

JezzaX said:
I also find it insulting that I'm seemingly being naive and letting things slide. I have my issues and gripes with the production like I would anything else, I'm just not as much of an analyst as some of the more (for lack of a better word) zealous Berserk fans and can remain optimistic about some changes if they are deemed necessary.

It's not insulting so much as it is the truth. And what should I think of your attempts to present yourself as a reasonable man opposed to "zealots"? Is that a compliment? Futhermore, I don't think it takes being an analyst to find it odd that they changed a scene to that extent, nor that there's footage we can't even identify. Anyway, what surprises me here is your eagerness to deem changes necessary without having been provided with any reason for them. Stockholm's syndrome, as Walter puts it.

JezzaX said:
My optimism can also stem from the fact that one key character that was cut from the previous series, has been shown as having a place this time around and is more likely to make an appearance where it matters to make the continuation possible.

And it's sad because that's actually not much at all. And again it's not relevant to the rest of the conversation.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
While I'm ever more excited this is actually happening, I'm also becoming increasingly wary about what exactly is happening, or more to the point, what we're getting. Subjective opinions aside (Griffith sounds like a nerd), a lot of the visuals look weird and even jarring in places, but I don't care so much about that as the fact that seemingly everything is somehow different or out of place, sometimes drastically. But, ya know, other than that it's clearly the definitive version of Berserk. :griffnotevil:

Anyway, my excitement is tempered by my adjusting expectations, because while I'll certainly enjoy this for what it is (like most anyone else here they had me at "berserk movie"), it probably won't be the faithful adaptation of Berserk I've been hoping for. That can be okay too, let's just not kid ourselves.

Ok, I'm less excited now, so I can start complaining... :ganishka:

The CG still looks... strange?... Maybe that's the good word for it... Looks very different from the 2D parts, especially when there's both in one scene, eg. when the horses are CG but people are not - the lines on the CG parts are thinner and also the colors are different... I don't like it, looks unprofessional (? does this word exist?)
It seems that they put a lot effort and money into the 2D parts, because they are beautiful both in details and animation. I also like that characters' mouth moves "normally" when speaking, not that simple open-close movement like in usual animes.
The VAs sound good for me, I like them.
The changes... I don't mind them yet, they don't look very radical... I don't mind if they change the background of a scene to make it cooler, also if they write in some new missions, but I really hope they won't leave out anything important from the storyline.

IncantatioN said:
I'd also guess this... It's kinda disappointing, because it means we still have to wait for some Kushan and Baakiraka action. I'd really like to finally see Silat animated!

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Truder said:
I eagerly await for a kind hearted (and very beautiful) person to translate the trailer for us. :griffnotevil:
Found this on the anime board on 4chan, can't say it's a good translation, so take it for what it is.
>A man who believed in nothing but his sword
>Griffith: I'm Griffith. What's your name?
>Guts: Guts.
>Met a hawk who wished to ascend to the heavens
>Some speaker: Abandoning your comrades and facing the enemy head-on!?
>Griffith: Could you accompany me?
>The meeting of the two was predestined by fate
>Griffith: I will obtain my own country.
>The pulse of destiny has started to beat
>Griffith: I will decide where you should die.
>Caska: What're you trying to do? Your selfish recklessness could endanger the whole Band of the Hawk. You haven't changed at all. As long as you can wave that sword on the battlefield, you need nothing else!
>Guts: No! I'm not the same man I used to be!
>He decided to fight together with his comrades
>Zodd: What awaits you is death! Death that you can't escape from!
>Nobody can sever the bond between us
>Griffith: Fight for me. You're mine after all.
>Voice-over: As that bond continues to deepen, the footfalls of ruin draw closer.
>The "springtime of life" in the midst of bloodshed

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gillia said:
unprofessional (? does this word exist?)

It does. Online dictionaries also do.

Gillia said:
The changes... I don't mind them yet, they don't look very radical... I don't mind if they change the background of a scene to make it cooler, also if they write in some new missions, but I really hope they won't leave out anything important from the storyline.

I don't find that random field with a dolmen thrown-in for good measure to be cooler than the place the scene was originally set in (a town shortly after the Band of the Falcon came back victorious and before Griffith was made a knight). Also, changing the dialogue and the tone of the conversation, with Guts facing away from Casca and looking at his feet, then later looking like he's on the verge of crying when he grabs her wrist, means it profoundly differs from what the original scene conveyed. In the manga, Casca calls him a mad dog and he angrily dares her to repeat what she said. Then Griffith arrives and she leaves. After that, Guts tells Griffith that he's changed and that he cares about his comrades. The whole point of the scene is to underline the communication problem Guts & Casca have (and have had ever since they first met), preparing the reader for their later bonding after they both fall into the river following their first encounter with Adon. Given the new context it's also not sure Carcus and his crew will be present (overhearing and trying to gain Casca to their cause), which would take away from his character (as well as Casca's, since her reaction was telling).

Now I understand those things may not seem to be important parts of the storyline to you at first glance, but they are. They contribute to Berserk's depth.

Gillia said:
I'd also guess this... It's kinda disappointing, because it means we still have to wait for some Kushan and Baakiraka action. I'd really like to finally see Silat animated!

Really, it was unrealistic to expect events from volume 9 to be present in the first movie. There's two more to go, remember. Also, I hope you won't take it too badly if Silat & the Bakiraka are replaced and other people tell you they don't mind the changes. :iva:

Aazealh said:
Now I understand those things may not seem to be important parts of the storyline to you at first glance, but they are. They contribute to Berserk's depth.
I didn't say that they aren't important! I know everything is important in Berserk, it's something you cut out one part of and the whole universe would collide - and we don't want it...
I'm just saying that the changes don't look like they'll influence the story... And it already looks to be much more faithful to the manga that the '97 anime, so they seem to be acceptable.
By the way, does anyone know how much they consult with Miura about this adaptation? Maybe he agreed the changes/they were his ideas...

Top Bottom