Berserk Saga Project News

Couple new Clara_de_porras tweets this morning (4:30 EST) and one of them links to an interview. I thought maybe I could translate it and be able to make out what's going on. I can, sordove, but it's more hilarious and lost in translation than anything. I thought I'd share some of the things my translator processed from the interview.

"I was turned into a high school basketball."

"I continue to read in real time."

"Go! In the rice table tennis."

"I type too conceal inner table."

and ""Why, are you'm Guts" is broken (laughs)."

A brand new update from the Berserk film site;

http://www.berserkfilm.com/news/?p=237

In addition to a new promo poster, which depicts a Crimson Beherit in a God Hand summoning mode, with "corrected" facial features and all, they've also made an announcement about a pair of what appears to be Guts and Griffith bobbleheads that will be going on sale to help promote the movie.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Señor Caudillo said:
a pair of what appears to be Guts and Griffith bobbleheads that will be going on sale to help promote the movie.
Those look like gashapons actually, little mini figures that usually come in blind boxes. I really hope they make a set for the movie, I'd love to have gashapons of the Falcons in that style.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Dar Klink said:
Those look like gashapons actually, little mini figures that usually come in blind boxes. I really hope they make a set for the movie, I'd love to have gashapons of the Falcons in that style.

They're bonuses for people buying advance tickets at Circle K Sunkus, so I wouldn't hold my breath for a whole set. There's also a microfiber towel to get, I wonder what it looks like. The cellphone wallpapers and such aren't very interesting.

Dar Klink said:

I second this, those bobble heads look pretty cool.

frankencowx said:
I second this, those bobble heads look pretty cool.
I also agree, I really love how detailed are their faces, very faithful to the anime-designs. I just started to dream of statues in this quality, it'd be cool if they made some after the movie came out, I think they would sell good among fans.

Just saw this on Anime News Network:

"The staff for the Berserk anime film project confirmed on Tuesday that the second and third films in the Golden Age trilogy will also open next year after February 4's Berserk Ōgon Jidai-Hen I: Haō no Tamago (Berserk Golden Age Arc I: Egg of the Supreme Ruler).

Berserk Ōgon Jidai-Hen II: Doldrey Kōryaku (Berserk Golden Age Arc II: The Battle for Doldrey) will open in June and run for about 100 minutes. As the name implies, this installment will focus on the epic battle by the Kingdom of Midland to retake Doldrey Castle from the Chuder Empire.

Berserk Ōgon Jidai-Hen III: Kōrin (Berserk Golden Age Arc III: Descent) will open in June and run for about 110 minutes. In this film, the story "delves nonstop into the abyss of dark fantasy."

The first film will be about 80 minutes long and have 1,114 cuts. The second film will have 1,257 cuts, and the third will have 1,591 for a grand total across the entire trilogy of 3,962."

I've gotta say that I am completely thrilled about seeing the eclipse in the third film although I am very worried about poor Wyald being skipped again....

I'll post updates to the article as they come in as I feel there are mistakes in some of the details of the report, as I doubt that both the second and third films will be released in the same month and that the title of the article mentions the June date for the second film but mentions that the third will arrive "later in the year".

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
It's good / bad news that apparently we'll get all 3 films in 1 year. I want to see the Black Swordsman stuff animated badly. But either they've been hard at work on this for a while, with a lot of the stuff already done, or they're rushing and might do a shoddy job. Also, the time issue worries me. I am afraid there are gonna be A LOT of cuts. If you add all the time they mentioned up, and divide it by 24 (the number of Golden Age original TV episodes), you get something like 12 minutes. So, imagine the original TV anime if more than 10 minutes were chopped off each episode. Boooo..

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Gobolatula said:
It's good / bad news that apparently we'll get all 3 films in 1 year. I want to see the Black Swordsman stuff animated badly. But either they've been hard at work on this for a while, with a lot of the stuff already done, or they're rushing and might do a shoddy job. Also, the time issue worries me. I am afraid there are gonna be A LOT of cuts. If you add all the time they mentioned up, and divide it by 24 (the number of Golden Age original TV episodes), you get something like 12 minutes. So, imagine the original TV anime if more than 10 minutes were chopped off each episode. Boooo..

Oh hey, I can somewhat imagine that... griffithsmiling.jpg

But really, why so short? This saddens me, just more reasons to hope that after the films we get Black Swordsman OVA series that REALLY follow the story 1:1.

X

Xem

Gobolatula said:
If you add all the time they mentioned up, and divide it by 24 (the number of Golden Age original TV episodes), you get something like 12 minutes. So, imagine the original TV anime if more than 10 minutes were chopped off each episode. Boooo..

That's not an entirely accurate way of looking at it. If you take out added content it probably adds up to about 40-50 minutes alone. Then take away any extended scenes with just music cutting in and out etc, that's probably ~10 or 15 more, etc etc. I think it's easier to simply not draw on comparison to the 97 TV series in that regard. That said anything less than 2 hours is a crying shame.... and 80 minutes is nigh unforgivable, but what can ya do.

For some reason the titles of the movies are bothering me. Battle for Doldrey? Really? Ugh. Signs of oversimplification ahoy! And Descent is even worse... it's almost as if there's some subconscious effort to say the integration of fantasy elements is somehow a downhill progression imo, though I get what they were trying to say. Anyway, on the up side it's quite exciting that we'll get the whole trilogy in a year. That means we should start seeing signs of the much hypothesized (and likely imo) OVA's much sooner than I've been speculating.

I'd also like to say that with the inclination of run times throughout the trilogy it's raised my hopes a bit of seeing at least Silat and the Bakiraka. Probably not Wyald, though... looks like the Eclipse will still be just as shocking as ever this go around as well, which, when you try to look through an optimistic lens, means more people referring to the manga again once the trilogy is over. That's a plus in my books. If we can't have it all, at least let's have more manga-converts after all is said and done. Right?

I doubt that both the second and third films will be released in the same month

If they stick to an organized schedule then Descent should be released ~October (All Hallow's time, not bad marketing).

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
I doubt the 3rd movie is in the same month as the 2nd movie. They should make it a November release in honor of my birthday. :troll:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The official site just posted their own news release, basically backing up what ANN posted: http://www.berserkfilm.com/news/?p=258 The only additional tidbit to be gleaned, as far as I could see, was that movie 3 doesn't have a specific release date. Just "2012." Oh, and it seems that The Golden Age was originally intended to be released as one film. I can't imagine what a train wreck that would have been...

Julalien said:
Berserk Ōgon Jidai-Hen II: Doldrey Kōryaku (Berserk Golden Age Arc II: The Battle for Doldrey) will open in June and run for about 100 minutes. As the name implies, this installment will focus on the epic battle by the Kingdom of Midland to retake Doldrey Castle from the Chuder Empire.
Which would place the end of the first film near the fallout from Julius' assassination. The Hawks leaving for battle toward the end of volume 6 seems a logical ending point, as the introduction of Adon in the subsequent battle directly coincides with the next chain of events, leading to Doldrey, which is in movie 2.

The first film will be about 80 minutes long and have 1,114 cuts. The second film will have 1,257 cuts, and the third will have 1,591 for a grand total across the entire trilogy of 3,962."
What shoddy reporting. What is the significance of the "cuts" ? Are they referring to the editing process, and how often the camera changes perspectives/scenes? Why quantify it to the level that they did here?

I've gotta say that I am completely thrilled about seeing the eclipse in the third film although I am very worried about poor Wyald being skipped again....
There may still be time for him. It'd be a great way to start movie 3.

Deci said:
For some reason the titles of the movies are bothering me. Battle for Doldrey? Really? Ugh. Signs of oversimplification ahoy!
Don't believe everything you read. Anime News Network just translated it wrong. The kanji for the title is based on the same wording as the 6-part episode that spans between Volume 7-8: Capture of Doldrey (ドルドレイ攻略戦). And actually the kanji for "Battle" (戦) is missing from the movie title. Maybe it's just implied?

And Descent is even worse... it's almost as if there's some subconscious effort to say the integration of fantasy elements is somehow a downhill progression imo, though I get what they were trying to say.
Now you're just overreacting... But likewise, the title of the movie is based on Episode 75: Descent (降臨). So basically you just made fun of Miura's own titles twice in a row. Good job! :miura:

I'm surprised the three movies have very short lengths. Well, at least the movies aren't leaving about Skull Knight like the TV series did. Susumu doing music for the movie is a plus since that was a very important part of the tv show. I am just waiting for the announcement of the movies coming stateside. Suck if we didn't get them even though Warner Bros. is handling distribution.

Since practically all the scenes depicted in the movie trailer can be fairly accurately placed as having been derived from volumes 4 through 6, it should have been expected that Golden Age I isn't gonna be covering the battle of Doldrey. But I am quite concerned about the lack of any indication in the news about whether or not the scenes depicting Guts' childhood will be kept in the movie. So I'm hoping that for more updates on the cast of characters' page soon, on the Berserk film site.

Walter said:
The official site just posted their own news release, basically backing up with ANN posted: http://www.berserkfilm.com/news/?p=258 The only additional tidbit to be gleaned, as far as I could see, was that movie 3 doesn't have a specific release date. Just "2012."
Which would place the end of the first film near the fallout of Julius' assassination. The Hawks leaving for battle toward the end of volume 6 seems a logical ending point, as the introduction of Adon in the subsequent battle directly coincides with the next chain of events, leading to the Doldrey, which is in movie 2.

Yes, after looking through the tankobon volumes that span the Golden Age arc and trying to guess more precisely on which episodes is the movie gonna be based upon, and also assuming that it'll also include Guts' childhood, I am more willing to believe that the movie is going to be covering from the episodes "Golden Age (1)" through the "Precious Thing."

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Señor Caudillo said:
I am more willing to believe that the movie is going to be covering from the episodes "Golden Age (1)" through the "Precious Thing."
I don't think Precious Thing is a better ending point than Departure for the Front, which has some more processing of the events in the preceding episodes, while also providing a cameo of things to come. But sure, I could see it swinging either way at this point. But Golden Age (1) really? You sound so optimistic! The general ending point isn't really in question as far as I'm concerned. Now, how it begins, and what will be cut from how the Golden Age begins in the manga is the real question...

Given the new information about runtime, I'm starting to wonder where movie 2 will end... A natural breaking point would be after the duel, but I can't imagine them cramming volumes 9-14 in one movie. Another way to do it would be end movie 2 as the Hawks escape with Griffith. That would leave ample time for Wyald, the Eclipse, and the aftermath.

X

Xem

Walter said:
Now you're just overreacting... But likewise, the title of the movie is based on Episode 75: Descent (降臨). So basically you just made fun of Miura's own titles twice in a row. Good job! :miura:

You'll see what I'm saying in a couple years when you have anime fanboys hootin' and hollerin' about "That Doldrey Movie!" or "But in Descent when Guts kissed Casca" ....

Ya not that big of a deal, small fries really, but still short-sighted. :azan:

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
frankencowx said:
80 minutes + 100 minutes + 110 minutes...

290 minutes to the first animes 600 minute runtime? *Inser Darth Vader NOOOOO*

My expectations are really low at this point. It's becoming more apparent that these new movies won't be nearly as faithful as the old anime.

Well, the running times are certainly a disappointment. I'd be happy if Wyald made it in for even 15 minutes, which isn't too extraordinarily optimistic. The anime TV series is sort of an embarrassment in my books, mainly do to the poor quality animation and shitty still shots. The new animation earns points simply from the superior animation.

Either way, I'm still excited about the new Berserk series. There are a few people who I've been trying to get into the series but are too lazy to read. An abridged movie trilogy is a good staring point to get them into the series and might give them incentive to read the manga.

I wonder if they'll leave in the backstory of Gaiseric/Skull Knight or if that'll be removed also. It would be kind of ignorant if they axed that IMO.

I think we shouldn't do these time countings... Movies are very different from a series I think.

I'm also afraid of Wyald getting cut out - actually, I would understand it, because he doesn't have a role after, but on the other hand, this whole scene with this disgusting monster and Caska running around naked describes how badass Berserk is (actually, that was the scene when, while reading it, I said out loud that "I cannot describe how much am I amazed by the perverted genius of this man") :ganishka:
So I'm hoping for Wyald...
And please, somebody calm me down by saying that there's no way we won't see Silat and the Baakiraka in the movies...

Top Bottom