Berserk Saga Project News

frankencowx said:
There is no way we will see Silat and the Baakiraka in the movies.
That's exactly the opposite of what I wanted to hear... You wanna make me worried? :magni:
Please, there are enough shitty things in my life, don't f*ck up Berserk - one of those few little things that light it up! (I actually want to say it to the staff who're making the movie, and threataning them by doing a harakiri... I don't think they would care, haha...)

But actually it's a good thing that we will get the three movies in one year, I'd get crazy if I had to wait 1-2 years between them, but hearing these news, I don't have that disappointing feeling like "This'll never end, I'll die before it finishes..."

And also the separation of the storyline seems logical... I think, if the 3rd movie starts with the rescue of Griffith and end with the Eclipse, we'll have enough time for Wyald (well, I hope at least)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Really, you guys shouldn't be so surprised by the run times. 80 mn is short, sure, but given how much of the story they've seemingly removed they must not have much left to show. The other two are closer to average, and what else did people expect anyway? 180 mn each? That was never going to happen. Especially since, as mentioned in the official website's update, they originally planned to make a single big movie. Not a trilogy. It was decided to split it in 3 parts later on. I guess that explains why it's kind of a mess... Let's just hope they manage to fix it up as much as possible before the release(s).

Julalien said:
I've gotta say that I am completely thrilled about seeing the eclipse in the third film although I am very worried about poor Wyald being skipped again....

Well it's not like they weren't going to show the Eclipse... Wyald though... I'm as worried as you are.

Gobolatula said:
I want to see the Black Swordsman stuff animated badly.

You're just hurting yourself.

Gobolatula said:
But either they've been hard at work on this for a while, with a lot of the stuff already done, or they're rushing and might do a shoddy job.

We knew from the beginning that they weren't strictly working on the first movie (seeing scenes with the Skull Knight, for example), so it's not too surprising. Oh and we already knew they were doing a shoddy job as well. :troll:

Deci said:
If we can't have it all, at least let's have more manga-converts after all is said and done. Right?

We're not a cult recruiting new members.

Deci said:
Descent should be released ~October (All Hallow's time, not bad marketing).

Really?

Truder said:
I doubt the 3rd movie is in the same month as the 2nd movie.

How perspicacious.

Señor Caudillo said:
Since practically all the scenes depicted in the movie trailer can be fairly accurately placed as having been derived from volumes 4 through 6, it should have been expected that Golden Age I isn't gonna be covering the battle of Doldrey.

Everybody expected it already as far as I can tell.

Deci said:
You'll see what I'm saying in a couple years when you have anime fanboys hootin' and hollerin' about "That Doldrey Movie!" or "But in Descent when Guts kissed Casca" ....

Ya not that big of a deal, small fries really, but still short-sighted. :azan:

Dude you were too quick to judge what they did, don't dwell on it. The trilogy format itself doesn't suit the story being told, so subtitles are really not that big of a deal in comparison.

Tzur said:
There are a few people who I've been trying to get into the series but are too lazy to read. An abridged movie trilogy is a good staring point to get them into the series and might give them incentive to read the manga.

You'll forgive me, but I've always thought that people too lazy to read weren't worth wasting time on (to try and convince them to read it anyway, that is).

frankencowx said:
There is no way we will see Silat and the Baakiraka in the movies.

I think there's a good chance they'll be in there actually. Will provide the action for the first part of the third movie, up until the Eclipse.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Walter said:
but I can't imagine them cramming volumes 9-14 in one movie.

I'm not to stress about that one; meaning there are a lot of parts in these volume that are "mainly graphics" (not dialogue in general I mean) So I just take it 9sadly) that the fight scenes will probably shortened. Especially the eclipse when everybody is getting eating. They might not show all of it but the essential and more important stuff (not that the rest isn't important but you know what I mean).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
I'm not to stress about that one; meaning there are a lot of parts in these volume that are "mainly graphics" (not dialogue in general I mean) So I just take it 9sadly) that the fight scenes will probably shortened. Especially the eclipse when everybody is getting eating. They might not show all of it but the essential and more important stuff (not that the rest isn't important but you know what I mean).
Agreed that much of volumes 12-13 are visual, and could be absorbed quicker in a different medium. But I'm also talking about the sheer number of plot developments that are crammed between those dense volumes.

Let's say movie 3 truly spans Volumes 9~14. That would include:
-Guts trains for a year away from the Hawks
-Griffith's time in prison
-Guts reunites with Hawks
-Guts and Casca become a couple
-Hawks rescue Griffith
-Bakiraka attack the Hawks
-Wyald is sent after the Hawks
-Wyald is defeated, turns into apostle, reveals Griffith's body, then killed by Zodd
-Reflection before the Eclipse
-The Eclipse
-Escape
-"The One who Hunts for a Dragon."

All of that in under 2 hours... it's a lot to cover. Just try to imagine the pacing of it, and how unnatural it would feel to move from one major event to the other in that short a time span.

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
I think I read volumes 9-14 extremely fast compared to some other volumes, just because of the amount of action. I think fitting it all into the third movie is plausible. The fights themselves don't need to take that long, and things like Griffith in prison and Guts training aren't going to take up that much time. The eclipse will be pretty lengthy though. I don't know, I've lost a lot of faith now that I know the running times, but I haven't completely given up.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Walter said:
Agreed that much of volumes 12-13 are visual, and could be absorbed quicker in a different medium. But I'm also talking about the sheer number of plot developments that are crammed between those dense volumes.

Let's say movie 3 truly spans Volumes 9~14. That would include:
-Guts trains for a year away from the Hawks
-Griffith's time in prison
-Guts reunites with Hawks
-Guts and Casca become a couple
-Hawks rescue Griffith
-Bakiraka attack the Hawks
-Wyald is sent after the Hawks
-Wyald is defeated, turns into apostle, reveals Griffith's body, then killed by Zodd
-Reflection before the Eclipse
-The Eclipse
-Escape
-"The One who Hunts for a Dragon."

All of that in under 2 hours... it's a lot to cover. Just try to imagine the pacing of it, and how unnatural it would feel to move from one major event to the other in that short a time span.

Yeah I didn't think about it that way, but still I have a bit of hope. (still afraid of a possible Wyald cut or something though)

S

supa_pokute

I don't think you realize how expensive it is to produce some of these animated films. As much as I agree I wish it were longer, it is what it is.

skullnights_pants

I'm a llama!
This is a movie so of course its going to be shorter, and won't include everything the TV series did, so its not useful to compare like for like?

3 hour chapters would be good but the commercial reality is that they certainly needed it to be sub 90mins to cater for the movie crowd and not just berserk fans

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
skullnights_pants said:
the commercial reality is that they certainly needed it to be sub 90mins to cater for the movie crowd and not just berserk fans
Are you a film industry authority with experience in "the commercial reality" of movie-goers? I ask because your answer here sounds presumptuous, particularly in light of how most movies these days are well over 90 minutes.

This bullshit aside, I don't know why so many people are surprised by the run time suddenly... Most animations are short. Why should this one be any different, particularly since it was originally planned as a single movie.

skullnights_pants

I'm a llama!
Walter said:
Are you a film industry authority with experience in "the commercial reality" of movie-goers? I ask because your answer here sounds presumptuous, particularly in light of how most movies these days are well over 90 minutes.

This bullshit aside, I don't know why so many people are surprised by the run time suddenly... Most animations are short. Why should this one be any different, particularly since it was originally planned as a single movie.

I am not so sure that most movies are over 90 mins, what I said was a well known assumption thrown around, a lot of commercial films are often around 90 mark, but I wouldn't call my post bullshit.

Looking at IMDB top animated films (I couldn't find an anime list), a good proportion of them are around 90mins, and is surprises me that Toy Story is only 77m :magni:

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Walter said:
I was fucking hoping so bad that he was gonna reply, "I AM." and then gives us a scan of his Warner Brothers Studios ID badge. He works in the "epic movie writing" department, too.

Anyway, I would feel a little bit better if this Golden Age story was a quadrilogy instead of a trilogy. The time thing really does worry me, considering these guys stated they wanted to be accurate to the manga. Another thing that would make me feel a little bit better is a production shot of Donovan.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
My point is that a movie can be over 90 minutes and still very profitable, and commercially viable. I really don't see why you would think otherwise, given the recent blockbuster successes of Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings.

Now, obviously the commercial aspects of this are different for an animated feature. But that's not how you phrased your assertion, which was that 90 minute movies are more appealing to audiences.

skullnights_pants said:
I am not so sure that most movies are over 90 mins,
Ninety-minutes hasn't been the standard for over a decade. Most movies are well over 100 minutes now. If you want some verifiable, yet non-scientific, proof here's a listing of current movies along with their run times: http://movies.yahoo.com/showtimes-tickets/

but I wouldn't call my post bullshit.
Well, sure. You wouldn't, but I would.

skullnights_pants said:
can someone answer, how much input did miura have for the anime and for this current project?
No one can answer that right now. All we have is a short blurb from Miura from last year stating that he was excited about bringing Berserk to a new audience. His specific level of input for the movies is not known.

skullnights_pants

I'm a llama!
Well my reasoning was that there was probably enough material for it to be over 90m like with all films made these days, but it was cut down to sub 90m. I know a lot of films do well over this amount but what reason is ther to trim it down?

Gobolatula said:
Another thing that would make me feel a little bit better is a production shot of Donovan.

A fully CGI'd Donovan would probably make my stomach lurch but yeah some evidence of Gut's Childhood being in this movie would be welcome

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
skullnights_pants said:
Well my reasoning was that there was probably enough material for it to be over 90m like with all films made these days, but it was cut down to sub 90m. I know a lot of films do well over this amount but what reason is ther to trim it down?
You started your assertion by saying the movies were likely limited to under 90 minutes because that's how audiences like to digest them. Clearly that isn't a rule, as has been proven with examples earlier. But for an animated movie in Japan, 80 minutes isn't that short. It's pretty much average. Why? Likely for an entirely different reason: budgetary constraints.

Walter said:
I don't think Precious Thing is a better ending point than Departure for the Front, which has some more processing of the events in the preceding episodes, while also providing a cameo of things to come. But sure, I could see it swinging either way at this point.

Yeah, either of those episodes can work fine as a conclusion for the first movie. But in my opinion, "Precious Thing" would serve better as ending. Because seeing Guts, while still shaken and exhausted by the assassination job, making that mildly stunned facial expression after overhearing Griffith's candid speech to Charlotte about friendship/having a meaning in life, and then abruptly turning around and walking off after noticing Griffith's crooked smirk that he makes upon hearing the news of Julius' and Adonis' deaths, it all shows the hints of personal dissatisfaction and unease Guts is starting to feel about being Griffith's crutch. This, in turn serves as an appropriate prelude to his quitting of the Hawks in the next movie.
On the other hand, the brief but prominent display of the Midland's royal flag accompanied by a short narration about its symbolism at the start of "Departure for the Front" alongside with the shots of Midland armies with their nation's magnificent architecture in the background, this would function really well as an opening scene for the second movie.

Walter said:
But Golden Age (1), really? You sound so optimistic!

The portrayal of Guts' childhood in the manga is quite concise and straightforward to begin with, standing at no more than ~130 pages when put together. So I don't think that it'd really take up too much screen time in the movie, if adapted. That's why I was being hopeful in my previous post about further updates on the list of characters on the film's website. Keep in mind that just over a month ago, there were only initially 3 characters listed, as opposed to the 11 that we have now. So if Gambino becomes a latest addition to the cast of characters, this would be a reliable indicator of Guts' childhood being preserved in the upcoming movie (since Gambino is so heavily tied to it), even if that part of the story hasn't been depicted in a trailer.

Walter said:
The general ending point isn't really in question as far as I'm concerned. Now, how it begins, and what will be cut from how the Golden Age begins in the manga is the real question...

If the Studio 4°C chooses to cut out Guts' childhood scenes, then the only other logical starting point for the movie would be the battle sequence from the episode "Golden Age (3)", right where the caption reads "4 years later" on page 86.

Walter said:
Given the new information about runtime, I'm starting to wonder where movie 2 will end... A natural breaking point would be after the duel, but I can't imagine them cramming volumes 9-14 in one movie. Another way to do it would be end movie 2 as the Hawks escape with Griffith.

As each Berserk film's ending is gonna have to set the stage for the next installment, after re-reading through the Golden Age arc episodes I think the second film can end either with;
a) Griffith passionately kissing Charlotte, as seen at the last page of the episode "Knight of the Skeleton" and the first page of the "Start of the Everlasting Night"
or
b) Griffith crouched up with a pained expression on his face in a fetal position and clawing his shoulder with his fingernails, after having fornicated with Charlotte

Both of these scenes equally underscore the painful shock and despair Griffith experienced in the immediate aftermath of losing Guts, while simultaneously paving the way for his and the Hawks' ultimate downfall.

RaffoBaffo

Ex-Newser of the late Berserk Chronicles
317135_267358603315532_197046067013453_831830_1483378017_n.jpg

黄金時代篇”トリロジー・チケットが12月3日より発売決定しました!『ベルセルク 黄金時代篇Ⅰ 覇王の卵』、『ベルセルク 黄金時代篇Ⅱ ドルドレイ攻略』(2012年6月公開)、『ベルセルク 黄金時代篇Ⅲ 降臨』(2012年公開)の、“黄金時代篇”3部作の前売り券がセットになったプレミアムチケットです。そしてその絵柄にはなんと、この度解禁となる、パートⅢにて、幽界の大いなる意思において降臨する“ゴッド・ハンド”の5体をあしらった、ファン垂涎の一品となります。

◆ “黄金時代篇”トリロジー・チケット 
¥3,900

※12月3日より全国上映劇場にて発売予定です。(一部劇場を除く。詳細は映画公式HPをご確認ください。)

※『ベルセルク 黄金時代篇Ⅰ 覇王の卵』(2012年2月4日公開)、『ベルセルク 黄金時代篇Ⅱ ドルドレイ攻略』(2012年6月公開)、『ベルセルク篇 黄金時代Ⅲ 降臨』(2012年公開)の3枚セット券となります。それぞれご鑑賞の場合は切り離してご使用ください。

※限定品となります。お早めにお買い求めください。

※“覇王の卵・ベヘリット”は特典として付属しておりません。

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=267358603315532&set=a.248799191838140.76735.197046067013453&type=1&theater

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
DAMMIT THEY'RE NOT COLORED IN!! I WANT DARK BLUE FEMTO TO BE VERIFIED!!! Otherwise, that's an awesome picture. I wonder what all that says.

Gobolatula said:
DAMMIT THEY'RE NOT COLORED IN!! I WANT DARK BLUE FEMTO TO BE VERIFIED!!! Otherwise, that's an awesome picture. I wonder what all that says.

I think they're saying that the tickets for the second Berserk film will be available in the March of next year, before that film itself is out in theaters in June. And the third and final installment in the Golden Age trilogy will be out later on in 2012, as we've already been told. Also, for the fans who have bought the so-called "limited edition premium" tickets for all three of the Golden Age movies, they can receive that God Hand poster as bonus, with proofs of purchase of those tickets. Basically, as we can all see, this is Studio 4°C's marketing strategy to get the Berserk fans to go watch each of all three Golden Age films when they are released in the theaters. The offer does not include those plastic Beherits, sadly.

Of course, since the folks at Studio 4°C know how successfully appealing to the longtime dedicated fan base can go a long way when it comes to determining whether their anime adaptation is gonna be a box office hit or a bomb, creating such an appeal based on a)faithfulness to the original manga and b)animation quality would have served much better for the movies' success in the long run than the posters, toys or other knick knacks :schierke:

Top Bottom