Berserk Saga Project News

Okay, I love my fellow SK'ers, and hopefully y'all still love me after this post, but I really feel like some of you are being a bit over dramatic about this fast food ad. When I saw this image for the first time, it didn't give me a sick feeling to my stomach at all. I chuckled. I thought it was hilarious. And I have a strong belief, that most people will see this, and laugh as well. No one is going to take this image seriously. The character designs / faces are way off. It's just a silly over-the-top ad. People that will see the movie, will know what Berserk is about. And people that know the manga, will know even more what Berserk is about. And for people that don't even know anything about Berserk, any person with a brain will know that when they see that image it's just a comedic ad with two anime dudes eating a burger and soda... so what?

It's not diluting the Berserk manga. It's not affecting anything that you guys enjoy. Are you guys in Japan and seeing this ad everywhere you go? No. This ad doesn't mean Berserk is selling out. This ad doesn't make Berserk a disgrace. This ad doesn't mean Berserk is at its all time low. This ad doesn't mean that no one should be hyped for this movie anymore... I mean, seriously? It's a fricken ad... about fast food... It is what it is. Nothing more. Enjoy what we have. Judge the movie for what is is when you see it. Sure, if the movie is an abomination, that yeah, that will be really depressing. It could perhaps turn away several potential Berserk manga fans in the future. It could soil the Berserk name in some fashion or another. But I have a feeling that even if the movie isn't fantastic, it's not going to be an abomination (and I still believe the movies are going to be very enjoyable, despite the shortcomings that we have already discovered). And no matter what, Berserk will always have its true hardcore manga fans, that stick with the manga at whatever cost, and that aren't so EASILY SWAYED by some stupid fucking ad. Seriously people, find something else to complain about...

Grail

Feel the funk blast
I'm in the same boat as Derek here (regarding my general attitude towards the commercial). The commercialization is so blatant and downright goofy that it makes me smile more than anything. :guts: While I can understand that people are annoyed about Berserk being so badly misrepresented, it's better not to take it too seriously. Besides, I don't think you can argue that Guts wouldn't gobble down a big, manly burger if he had the chance! :troll:

I wonder if Miura knows about these ads, and if he does, how does he feel about them?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
DirectDK said:
The character designs / faces are way off.

Then it's totally consistent with the rest of the production.

DirectDK said:
This ad doesn't mean that no one should be hyped for this movie anymore...

Yeah, there were already plenty of other reasons not to be.

DirectDK said:
Seriously people, find something else to complain about...

You could also find something else to apologize for. You know, Phantom Menace 3D is coming out soon; it's not so bad compared to the other prequels! :griffnotevil:

Still love ya, but fundamentally disagree.

Griffith said:
Then it's totally consistent with the rest of the production.

From the footage that we've seen (the trailers, spots, and cast interviews) I've been quite pleased with the faces. The faces in this fast food ad aren't along the same lines.

Griffith said:
You could also find something else to apologize for. You know, Phantom Menace 3D is coming out soon; it's not so bad compared to the other prequels!

Sigh~ I'm not trying to apologize or justify anything. All I'm saying is don't make this silly ad into something bigger than it needs to be. And that goes for everyone, not just trying to single out you. The anime saga is the anime saga. The manga is the manga. Feel free not to watch the movie if you don't want to. You and I still have the precious manga. That's all the matters in the end, and that's all that most of us seem to care about.

Griffith said:
Still love ya, but fundamentally disagree.

:slan: Glad to hear it. But okay, I guess we just have to agree to disagree then.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
DirectDK said:
This ad doesn't mean Berserk is selling out.
This ad doesn't make Berserk a disgrace.
This ad doesn't mean Berserk is at its all time low.
directDKinfominister.jpg

I knew we made you the Merchandise Mod for a reason :void:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I'm sorry if my post about the ad pushed you over the edge, Derek. My comment was directed entirely at the ad and stems from my frustration with the fact that we as a society have to slap a dollar sign on every single thing these days. Promotions for the film are one thing, but do we really need to see Guts and Griffith being used to sell fast food? It's ridiculous. Nothing is sacred anymore. I hate seeing stuff like that these days. It feels cheep and disrespectful. I know it comes with the territory, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

As for the films, I'm still looking forward to seeing them. I've enjoyed the clips we've seen so far, and I'm relieved to know that Gambino and Donovan haven't been cut out entirely. The animation is very well done and I've enjoyed the music. I'm reserving judgment until after I see the first film in its entirety, and even then it may take me several days of ruminating before I decide whether or not I'm satisfied.

It will never live up to the manga, but I wasn't really expecting it to. I just hope it doesn't do a great disservice to it, but that remains to be seen.

Although the image of Guts and Griffith is hilarious and more than a little disturbing, this sort of merchandising campaign between a major anime film production and Lotteria has been successful before. Over the past few years, Evangelion, Macross Frontier, K-ON!, and Fullmetal Alchemist have all had cross-advertising with the fast food chain which involved some fairly ridiculous depictions of the characters.

I don't care for the image of Guts and Griffith myself and the animators certainly could have chosen a better image but for anime this kind of advertising isn't unusual and at the very least this shows that the promoters of the film are at least trying to advertise the animated version of Berserk in a similar fashion to the other massive film hits that other studios have had over the years. Which, by itself, is some sign of the amount of faith that the producers/promoters have in the project.

Now, I just want to see the movies myself and take a look at how Toshiyuki Kubooka interprets my favorite manga of all time. And based on the new clips that have recently been uploaded I can say that I like how Zodd and Guts' confrontation has been handled much better than how it was done in the old television series.

I both agree about how disgusting this ad is (I'm sure I'll never buy those burgers :ganishka: I guess they managed to reach the opposite of their aim) and also about that until it doesn't affect the movie itself, it's almost okay (well, not okay, rather acceptable... but still disturbing...)
I mean, until there's no product placement in the movie itself, I can get over it. But at the moment I glimpse any kind of advertisement or even an easter egg in the movie that is not related to the original, I'll get violent... But I'm sure Berserk won't get that low, these were just the worst nightmares I could come up with... I'm not Sonia, so I guess my predictions are not going to come true, haha...
We saw chibis and funny things before even by Miura himself, we should try to think about it like those (although I know the picture doesn't make sense and far worse than those, but... yes...)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DirectDK said:
I really feel like some of you are being a bit over dramatic about this fast food ad. When I saw this image for the first time, it didn't give me a sick feeling to my stomach at all. I chuckled. I thought it was hilarious. And I have a strong belief, that most people will see this, and laugh as well. No one is going to take this image seriously. The character designs / faces are way off. It's just a silly over-the-top ad.

Yeah, some reactions may have been a bit over-dramatic. However you're exaggerating too when you say it's "hilarious". "Silly & cheesy" is more like it. I'd have to agree that it isn't such a big deal overall though. Like Julalien said, it's par for the course with productions of that caliber.

DirectDK said:
It's not diluting the Berserk manga. It's not affecting anything that you guys enjoy. Are you guys in Japan and seeing this ad everywhere you go? No. This ad doesn't mean Berserk is selling out. This ad doesn't make Berserk a disgrace. This ad doesn't mean Berserk is at its all time low.

I don't think anyone said it was doing any of these things. However it's easy for me to understand how it had some fans rolling their eyes at its goofiness, since it's pretty much how I reacted to it myself. For those of us who see Berserk more as a work of art than as a commercial product to consume and forget about, it isn't especially enjoyable to see the series put forward in that context.

DirectDK said:

That advertisement isn't the reason people aren't hyped about the movie (anymore).

Joe Chip said:
Wouldn't they need Mr. Miuras consent in order to make them ?

Not sure they would. Hakusensha holds rights over Berserk as well, and I doubt Miura personally approves everything that relates to Berserk. And that goes triple for stuff that concerns the movie.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Bramwell said:
This was uploaded on the 14th. I think theres a few new scenes but not many

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHDVGT2AD5Y

Wow yeah, some new scenes indeed! Thanks for the video. First thing is the confirmation that the battle scene in the barren area that we saw many times is the taking of the castle that Bazûso defended. Speaking of which, I have to say that they could have made more of an effort on him, his eyes seem way too big for example and make him look goofy. I'm not going to say "almost like he's from Wind Waker" but it did come to my mind. I also wish they'd have left his armor the way it was in the manga. Looked way cooler in my opinion, and more fitting of his character.

Second, regarding Guts' first encounter with the Band of the Falcon. He has the time to slowly put on his helmet and even to menacingly brandish his sword, which is not how it happened in the manga (they attacked by surprise and he didn't have time to do anything but drop his bag and defend himself). It also seems like Casca is among those who first attack him, as we see him take a horse down by cutting its legs (something he didn't do during that encounter) and the next frame is her falling down. I'm chalking it up to the clip's editing (splicing different scenes together), but if not it could be a big difference from how it's supposed to happen and would somewhat mess up the subtle characterization of Casca and Carcus.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
When Guts and Casca are fighting it looks like 2 characters fighting in a video game. There's some CG that looks really good and some that's poorly done.

Gobolatula said:
When Guts and Casca are fighting it looks like 2 characters fighting in a video game. There's some CG that looks really good and some that's poorly done.

I think one of my favorites of the bad cg scenes is what can be seen in that Zodd seiyuu (?) interview. Guts seems to cower in marveling of the sight that is Zodd's transformation, and it looks like a lazy and inexpensive flash effect. Two images, one over the other, and one's moving. For whatever reason it seems to have stuck out to me.

Gobolatula said:

Totally agree here. I was impressed how Guts and Zodd fought in that interview video, but now we have poorly animated soldiers and armies and Guts vs Casca videogame fight.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
I liked the song. :carcus:

The parts that weren't CG I loved.

The CG needs a lot of work, or needs to be scrapped all together(too late for that). Whoever suggested CG for these movies need to be slapped across the face.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Does this mean Guts doesn't fight those other two guys from the band of the Hawk? If so that sucks. He kills one of them and cuts the other dudes arm off.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
Does this mean Guts doesn't fight those other two guys from the band of the Hawk? If so that sucks. He kills one of them and cuts the other dudes arm off.
Nah, looks like it's just editing.

boots1.jpg
boots2.jpg

First solider that approaches Guts. Note his boots. They aren't the same as Casca's, which are shown later. Furthermore, in this same frame, you can see that lead-off guy is carrying a sword, whereas Casca is shown later holding the crossbow still. Casca then rolls down... and to the left. Down... and to the left. Which, while accurate, she's supposed to have gotten a quiver in Guts' right arm by this point. So it's clear they're changing parts of the fight. Nothing to get too upset over though. Like in many cases, the question then becomes, "What was wrong with the fight as it was?" Possibly too many breaks in the action for what's probably a short scene on the screen.

Which means there's a segment missing between these shots, even though it's edited to look like one continuous shot. Ultimately though, that's not Casca leading off. Which leaves room for Dan and Earl to get destroyed by Guts before Casca intervenes.

Aazealh said:
It also seems like Casca is among those who first attack him, as we see him take a horse down by cutting its legs (something he didn't do during that encounter) and the next frame is her falling down. I'm chalking it up to the clip's editing (splicing different scenes together), but if not it could be a big difference from how it's supposed to happen and would somewhat mess up the subtle characterization of Casca and Carcus.

I was going to ask if he cut the horses legs out in the manga, couldn't remember. Thanks for clearing that up. Even though thats not how it happened, I thought that was pretty bad ass, but then again most things about Guts are bad ass so...

Also, in that video, Guts looks older, less boyish than he should be during that particular time??

frankencowx said:
Also, in that video, Guts looks older, less boyish than he should be during that particular time??

The similar can be said of some other characters, especially Charlotte and Griffith. In numerous shots they look quite a lot older than they were in the manga during the Golden Age arc, and more like their Milenium Falcon-era selves.

frankencowx said:
I don't think... Maybe it seems like because Miura's style changed a lot during the manga but the movie's character designs are the same from the beginning. But I think the difference can be seen between their younger and older version.

G

Gnomeking

I can't wait to see the new movies! Unlike a lot of people that are being picky about certain things. I'm just happy to get any form of new animation adaptation. Every clip and scene I've seen looks amazing, these films have some of the best looking animation I've ever seen. It is better than hellsings ultimate. I would like to see every epic page of the manga done detail for detail but that's unlikely. I just want the basics vs the old anime ( puck being there and skullknight) and than anything for it to go past casca's femto rape. No offence to anyone I think everyone should just be a bit happier berserk is being redone.

Top Bottom