Berserk Saga Project News

I wish they would have had some "departments" who browse through the internet to read people's opinions about cms or trailers and use them to improve some stuff in the Berserk movie... but they don't

Or at least they could compose CM in that way that'll hide such things as PS2 guts face, but they dont

Shadow8 said:
What is that, they really sloppy and doing a bad job. If I was part of the team of the anime, I would be ashamed. :judo:

Yeah, but it was just a gag commercial. It is not even a real dialogue for the movie. It is like those joke commercials from last year trying to sell the manga.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
ApostleBob said:
I don't quite buy this because I can't find any historic examples of a Baldric used with a sword as long as Guts'. Mainly because very few people carried swords as long and broad as even the Guts raider sword.

No one's ever used anything close to Guts' sword historically.

ApostleBob said:
Never said it was, just that I appreciated the attention to this minor detail that my OCD mind couldn't let go. I'm certainly not trying to use this minor improvement to rationalize Guts childhood being omitted.

What I was saying is that they could have made more of an effort as far as said detail goes. I wasn't talking about Guts' childhood.

ApostleBob said:
Agreed, I think the Black swordsman arc is essential. The battle against the count and all his men makes me wince whenever I read it. Guts takes a ton of punishment. And it has a perfect climax as Guts finally faces the God Hand... and loses quite spectacularly. But he never gives up. It's the total embodiment of the impossible struggle Guts faces throught the remainder of the series.

Beyond that it also establishes the world, its rules and many core elements of the series (the Brand, beherits, apostles, sacrifices), the characters of Guts, Puck, the Demon Child and of course the God Hand (including Femto's past as Griffith and his relationship with Guts). These are what people shouldn't miss.

ApostleBob said:
But I get why they didn't lead with it. From a marketing perspective, the Golden Age is the way to build an audience. Not nearly so grim and hopeless.

The Black Swordsman arc isn't much more "grim" than the Golden Age arc (nor is it particularly hopeless) if you look at both in their entirety. It just so happens that they've amputated a lot of the "grim" content for the movie and will likely do the same for the other two. In any case, no offense intended but I don't think you have any legitimacy in determining what is or isn't the way to build an audience. Those are choices that were made for reasons we ignore and likely based on more than one factor. They are what they are and don't need to be defended or justified by third parties with no intimate knowledge of the issue.

ApostleBob said:
Hopefully they'll continue on through the Eclipse to Guts' Apostle Hunting days. But I'm keeping expectations in check. If it's a single film, I could see them combining aspects of the Snake Baron, the Count, and Rosine into a single narrative.

Nothing says they'll keep the film format once the trilogy is done, assuming they keep going after that. Could very well move on to OVAs.

voodoo_sh said:
I wish they would have had some "departments" who browse through the internet to read people's opinions about cms or trailers and use them to improve some stuff in the Berserk movie... but they don't

To be fair, I don't think taking cues from people on the Internet would be a good thing.

H

hellrasinbrasin

AI Beautiful Things (+ a Whole lot of "Brand" new and familiar Berserk Footage)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NDDzEeNAI&feature=g-all-u&context=G20eb306FAAAAAAAAAAA

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
hellrasinbrasin said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NDDzEeNAI&feature=g-all-u&context=G20eb306FAAAAAAAAAAA

Thanks! The footage looks very nice, and I never get tired of the song.

Thx hellrasinbrasin! This one makes me love Berserk film again :ganishka: So tomorrow's the premiere.
I hope we have some japanese members here who can go to the cinema, capture everything on the mobile phone and then upload here :troll:

Aazealh said:
No one's ever used anything close to Guts' sword historically.

I've only heard of one who's come close: the Magnificent Bastard, Pier Gerlofs Donia. He was quite a warrior in his time. :guts:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pier_Gerlofs_Donia

Here is his sword, and his Lieutenants' sword
http://images.volkskrant.com/weblog/www/pub/mm/tempest/115646/Image/maart2010/swurdgp.jpg

Aazealh said:
Beyond that it also establishes the world, its rules and many core elements of the series (the Brand, beherits, apostles, sacrifices), the characters of Guts, Puck, the Demon Child and of course the God Hand (including Femto's past as Griffith and his relationship with Guts). These are what people shouldn't miss.

Agreed, but with the order they are telling it now, many of these elements will already have been established in a different way. Perhaps not the best way... My point is that I don't think the the black swordsman arc is expendable at all, and that they better include it if they go on to OVAs. Too many core themes are established, it's the dark period that is largely responsible for the Beast of Darkness, and the encounter with the God Hand is essential.

Aazealh said:
In any case, no offense intended but I don't think you have any legitimacy in determining what is or isn't the way to build an audience. Those are choices that were made for reasons we ignore and likely based on more than one factor. They are what they are and don't need to be defended or justified by third parties with no intimate knowledge of the issue.

No offense taken, but I work in the american film industry as an indie producer. I've helped developed several feature films for the studio system, so I have some idea about building an audience. However, I cannot speak to the way Japanese studios make their decisions as far as content goes. They are somewhat similar to the American system at the core, but their outward sensibilities are entirely different at times. Plus this is animated, not live-action so that creates it's its own considerations. So yeah, I'm guessing, but it's not entirely baseless.

Aazealh said:
To be fair, I don't think taking cues from people on the Internet would be a good thing.

I don't think it's bad to take the overall pulse of a fan base when you're starting a franchise, but art by committee is never a good idea.

hellrasinbrasin said:

Looking nice. Great animation and attention to detail. Much more cinematic than the original anime, but I have a feeling the original will be the more faithful of the two. Still, I'm excited.

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
I think that video is my favorite trailer/footage/whatever that exists for this movie. Hope a 1080p version makes its way onto youtube at some point. It certainly rekindles my hype.

Tomorrow, ladies and gents! :guts:

hellrasinbrasin said:

Wow, it was pretty good. No sloppy CGI parts :guts:
Also, seems like Guts took off that mask when he killed Adonis, so we can see his expression, scene is not ruined, yeah :void:
SrCraneo said:
http://i.imgur.com/U2Eol.png

That looks so bad. It's like from a ps2 game :C.
I agree that it looked kinda bad, this close-up on CGI-Guts' face really wasn't a good idea, but I don't think the CGI is that bad in this scene... The movements were pretty fast and dinamic and I liked it (of course it looks bad if you pause it, just like other animated movies, they weren't made to be look good paused :iva: ) But I just don't understand why they had to use CGI Caska when she was running away, I think this may be fixed in the future...
But it's cool that we could already see footage from the next movie. By the way, when will the next 2 come out? (sh*tty memory and horrible internet searching skills, sorry :farnese:)

Jaze1618 said:
@ 2:53 that is most likely Guts first raid with the Hawks? Or is a scene from a later movie?
That looks like Guts' first charge at Zodd, it appears that Zodd's throwing his kills (soldiers) at Guts, as he approaches to attack.

Gillia said:
By the way, when will the next 2 come out? (sh*tty memory and horrible internet searching skills, sorry :farnese:)

If I am not mistaken it was said earlier that 2nd and 3rd parts will be released throughout 2012, but how it will be - we'll see

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
ApostleBob said:
Agreed, but with the order they are telling it now, many of these elements will already have been established in a different way. Perhaps not the best way... My point is that I don't think the the black swordsman arc is expendable at all, and that they better include it if they go on to OVAs. Too many core themes are established, it's the dark period that is largely responsible for the Beast of Darkness, and the encounter with the God Hand is essential.

Then you're saying the same thing I am, only somehow you're Ok with it. I mean I don't understand what your "but" means here. Yes, they will have been established in a different way. And no, clearly not the best one as far as I can tell. That will do a disservice to the Golden Age arc, which references in many ways the events shown during the Black Swordsman arc, casting a new light on them or using them as building blocks for events that don't need to be explained but are implicitly understood by the reader. So the closing word is that indeed, it is not expendable, but they've already done away with it. And while hypothetically featuring it as an OVA or something else at a later time would be much appreciated by us, the damage will have already been done.

ApostleBob said:
No offense taken, but I work in the american film industry as an indie producer. I've helped developed several feature films for the studio system, so I have some idea about building an audience. However, I cannot speak to the way Japanese studios make their decisions as far as content goes. They are somewhat similar to the American system at the core, but their outward sensibilities are entirely different at times. Plus this is animated, not live-action so that creates it's its own considerations. So yeah, I'm guessing, but it's not entirely baseless.

Well I don't want to push the issue because I don't think it has much merit and I won't do you the offense of asking for credentials, but I don't think the series necessarily needs to "build" an audience, which is a term that probably should be precisely defined here before we continue anyway (as Berserk is not exactly an unknown series). Now as far as getting people into the theaters, I don't believe one arc has more of an attraction over the other, except maybe for the fact quite a few people have already seen the Golden Age arc animated, whereas the Black Swordsman arc would be almost all new. Furthermore, the studio had to turn the project into 3 movies because they couldn't just cram the bigger Golden Age arc into the original format (not surprising at all to me), so that most likely meant additional costs and risks (or a lowered production value because the budget became tighter). Then there's the issue of getting people to come back. Would the Black Swordsman arc achieve that? I believe so, because its end leaves the audience wanting. The Golden Age arc does as well in its original form (and the TV series' outrageous cliffhanger of an ending is a testimony to that fact), but we've yet to see what they'll do with it.

And like I told you and others before you, your reasoning about it being less "grim and hopeless" is not very pertinent, because the original material for the Golden Age arc is often pretty hard on the reader. Of course, removing Guts' childhood took care of it to some extent, but there remain other scenes, not to mention what's to come in the third movie. If your rationale is that "grim and hopeless" turns people away, they'll be turned away no matter what. Besides that, the danger of sweetening and purging too much is for people to be left wondering what the hell happened (why it all went to shit "unexpected") and to think they were tricked into something they hadn't asked for. Once again that's something we've seen with the TV series, and it's not necessarily the best way to hook people in for more.

ApostleBob said:
Looking nice. Great animation and attention to detail. Much more cinematic than the original anime, but I have a feeling the original will be the more faithful of the two. Still, I'm excited.

I think the bottom line will be that they're both unfaithful enough to raise complaints. And not just unfaithful in that the respective studios took "necessary creative liberties", which I think is a particularly bogus and completely unfounded blanket response to any and all remarks people have made. But really, it's got the best production value we've ever seen and is the beginning of a huge project for the series, so it's downright impossible for a fan not to get excited in spite of pretty much anything.

Saephon said:
I think that video is my favorite trailer/footage/whatever that exists for this movie.

Agreed.

Gillia said:
Wow, it was pretty good. No sloppy CGI parts [...]
I agree that it looked kinda bad, this close-up on CGI-Guts' face really wasn't a good idea, but I don't think the CGI is that bad in this scene... The movements were pretty fast and dinamic and I liked it (of course it looks bad if you pause it, just like other animated movies, they weren't made to be look good paused :iva: )

Yeah, most scenes using CGI are going to look bad if you scrutinize them.

It was a pain in the ass to record and took forever to load, but here's the first ten minutes of the film. There was no fullscreen option (only one to make the video slightly bigger) so enjoy my Firefox Miku skin!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEgcHdTb8t4

Note that a bit of the footage here has been censored, but will be shown in its uncensored entirety in theaters and its eventual home video release.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
thedigitalsin said:
It was a pain in the ass to record and took forever to load, but here's the first ten minutes of the film. There was no fullscreen option (only one to make the video slightly bigger) so enjoy my Firefox Miku skin!

Note that a bit of the footage here has been censored, but will be shown in its uncensored entirety in theaters and its eventual home video release.

Nice, thanks a lot for going through the trouble. Much appreciated!

The battle scene is cool (though quite uneven in quality), but the real deal's in the credits.
Can't believe they're showing so much stuff. Puck, Farnese, Serpico, Isidro, Schierke, the Berserk's armor? Not to mention SK breaking into the Occultation ceremony!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
thedigitalsin said:

Thank you so much. The last few clips in the title sequence elicited this reaction from me: "H O L Y S H I T!!"
I did not expect to see all that. What a pleasant surprise. This is the most excited I've been about this project so far.

Aside from the title sequence, I have to say I was quite bored with the footage shown.

Thanks A LOT man!! Those credits look waaaay cool -
Miura's character drawings, Schierke, Isidro, Puck, Farnese, Serpico, Guts in the Berserker armor, Skull Knight at the Eclipse!
Whoa whoa, psyched. Soldier faces look ... odd (unnaturally clean, weird expressions).

EDIT: You beat me to saying that Walter :guts:

The intensity of what we read is so different than what's shown. Guts vs Bazuso - the latter's surprise at his axe cracking isn't there, he kicks Guts off a few feet away in the clip before raising his axe, but the next scene has Guts standing closer in proximity. A soldier attacks Guts right after, which is skipped.

Character design for the General (who gives Guts his reward) - 97 anime > movie.

Lord Leith

Welcome back Casca
hellrasinbrasin said:

I gotta admit, the CG is growing on me :casca: Infact the biggest animation goof I saw in that, was in standard 2D animation. Around 2:17, what's up with that guy, with his fist in the air, with his mouth wide open, not moving even an inch lol, actually now that I look more, a few people in that shot are frozen, or get frozen...kinda weird, but aside from that, all of the footage looked fine to me.

thedigitalsin said:

WOAH, thanks! Those opening credits are just fantastic!

Oburi

All praise Grail
Wow, I couldn't help geeking out through that. Thanks digitalsin, you are the man! The best part was indeed the credits.
Couldn't believe they showed all those characters.
But I really enjoyed the battle scene too. I loved it actually. I might have a heart attack when I finally watch the full movie.

turkitage

ターク
thedigitalsin said:

Awesome. Thank you!! I will look at your Miku Firefox skin any day for content like this!

The credit intro really capped that whole video off, love that they
teased the later volumes/movies and added pics from the manga.
I'm already excited for this movie, but now all I can think about is the next two and beyond!!!!

Top Bottom