Berserk Saga Project News

H

hellrasinbrasin

Here's a 28 Minute Interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJo9HtK10oM&feature=player_embedded

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well, not to keep nitpicking, but there's a problem with what we're shown of the Skull Knight breaking through the Eclipse. :slan: I've made into into a .gif file for convenience's sake, but it's a big one so I'm just going to link it: CLICK ME.

There are actually two mistakes in there. The first one is the placement of each member of the God Hand on their respective fingers. In the manga, Void's on the thumb, Femto on the index, Slan on the middle finger, Ubik on the ring finger and Conrad on the pinky. But here we can clear see that Void's on the middle finger. A strange and incomprehensible change. That's not what first caught my attention though. No, the problem is that Femto is standing on the hand when SK barges in, while he's supposed to be down below having his way with Casca in front of Guts. I imagine it'll be different in the movie, but I just had to point it out. And for those interested, I even made a slowed-down version. :void:

hellrasinbrasin said:

Most of the video is boring, but when the producer's interview starts (around 9:00) it gets pretty interesting. The guy says Miura had refused offers to make movie versions of Berserk from "tens of other firms" before finally accepting the guy's offer, and only after being shown a costly pilot (about 4 years ago). Still, apparently budget was a problem. And they keep saying the movies were planned with the global market in mind right from the beginning, so I guess that's good news for us.

The techniques they use to combine 3DCG and 2D are interesting as well. In theory it could all look perfect once finalized. I'm afraid they might not have had the budget to touch up as many of the 3D parts as what would have been needed though.

Cool observation Aazealh.

hellrasinbrasin said:

That's really awesome. It's funny how they introduce Berserk with the Black Swordsman arc to explain what it's about to general viewers, while we have the movie featuring Golden Age. Cool to learn about the 2D and 3D stuff, plus the pilot. Now we know where they got material for the CM's ^_^

Interesting interview! It was cool seeing and hearing how all the CG was implemented but watching the part of the interview with the woman introducing the CG aspects, I was cringing a little bit :p. Still though, hearing about the budgetary constraints and hearing about their plans of melding the 3DCG and 2D to help compensate for this sounded like an interesting endeavour. At least they sound excited about it and seem to think it will work out nicely. The idea of having the international market in mind from the start was nice to hear too, they are really trying to branch out the Berserk brand and get it real popular. :ganishka:

My favorite part of the interview was probably the one Japanese guy explaining why the manga is so popular and good. His description was spot on! :SK:

H

hellrasinbrasin

Yeah when money is an issue you start getting creative. Splicing 3DCG and 2D production wise was the only option on the table from what was said. I look forward to seeing what happens with later films when the technique used to mesh 2D & 3D isn't as disjointed as it is for these films.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Skullknight breaking through the eclipse
just looked so incredibly badass! :badbone:

I love everything right now! hugs all around!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Guys let's try to keep the title credit details within spoiler tags until more people see it. I know the surprise of it is part of what impressed me so much.

Just finished watching the 10 minute. Extremely disappointed, as most folks here, that Guts' childhood has been amputated from the film. But hey, at least they did try and compensate for this blunder by giving us instead a little history lesson, about how medieval siege battles were fought. For which, many thanks, Studio 4°C!! :guts: :schierke:

Aazealh said:
The guy says Miura had refused offers to make movie versions of Berserk from "tens of other firms" before finally accepting the guy's offer, and only after being shown a costly pilot (about 4 years ago).

This part piques my interest. I wonder what exactly did Studio 4°C had to offer that the other animation companies didn't? Certainly, a commitment to an accurate and faithful adaptation that respects the integrity of Miura's story was not one of those things. So I'm leaning towards the question of money. Though I wish the producer would tell more about that animated pilot film which sealed the deal. Aside from the fact that this is where those early shots of Puck and some other characters that surfaced few years ago originated from, nothing else is known or can be said with certainty about it.

Aazealh said:
And they keep saying the movies were planned with the global market in mind right from the beginning, so I guess that's good news for us.

I have mixed feelings about this. The making and releasing of the films with the worldwide audiences in mind, it also possibly leaves open the door for censorship, in an effort to make them "appealing" to such audiences,. Which means that particularly unsavory characters like Wyald and their scenes might get cut.

Aazealh said:
Still, apparently budget was a problem.

The techniques they use to combine 3DCG and 2D are interesting as well. In theory it could all look perfect once finalized. I'm afraid they might not have had the budget to touch up as many of the 3D parts as what would have been needed though.

Well, then I was right all along, when I mentioned few months ago the Berserk movie's shoddy CGI visuals having to do with its shoestring budget. But hey, even though they can't seem to have enough money to hire more (and better experienced) animators, at least Studio 4°C can still afford that medieval swordfighting "expert" guy as a consultant :void:

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Here in okinawa waiting for the movie to start. As expected, ther ae like 5 people here including me. They are selling some interesting things over here like the OST and a nice looking leather bound book. Not sure what is inside of it since it was labeled as a pamphlet. Still excited to see this bad boy.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Turkitage said:
You brought a video camera, right?????

I will never forgive you if you didn't.
well my smartphone has a 32gb sd card and can shoot in 1080p. Also no one is in front of me....

Edit...oh shit. Lights are dimming and im getting a chubby.

Lol some mom just brought her two little kids lol

Señor Caudillo said:
Just finished watching the 10 minute. Extremely disappointed, as most folks here, that Guts' childhood has been amputated from the film. But hey, at least they did try and compensate for this blunder by giving us instead a little history lesson, about how medieval siege battles were fought. For which, many thanks, Studio 4°C!! :guts: :schierke:

This part piques my interest. I wonder what exactly did Studio 4°C had to offer that the other animation companies didn't? Certainly, a commitment to an accurate and faithful adaptation that respects the integrity of Miura's story was not one of those things. So I'm leaning towards the question of money. Though I wish the producer would tell more about that animated pilot film which sealed the deal. Aside from the fact that this is where those early shots of Puck and some other characters that surfaced few years ago originated from, nothing else is known or can be said with certainty about it.

I have mixed feelings about this. The making and releasing of the films with the worldwide audiences in mind, it also possibly leaves open the door for censorship, in an effort to make them "appealing" to such audiences,. Which means that particularly unsavory characters like Wyald and their scenes might get cut.

Well, then I was right all along, when I mentioned few months ago the Berserk movie's shoddy CGI visuals having to do with its shoestring budget. But hey, even though they can't seem to have enough money to hire more (and better experienced) animators, at least Studio 4°C can still afford that medieval swordfighting "expert" guy as a consultant :void:

As you know they were the only ones to produce an actual pilot. Miura may not have liked the level of commitment given to the berserk animated series back in 97.

Quote from: Aazealh on Today at 03:58:11 PM
And they keep saying the movies were planned with the global market in mind right from the beginning, so I guess that's good news for us.

I have mixed feelings about this. The making and releasing of the films with the worldwide audiences in mind, it also possibly leaves open the door for censorship, in an effort to make them "appealing" to such audiences,. Which means that particularly unsavory characters like Wyald and their scenes might get cut."

Well in a perfect world, Berserk wouldn't be censored in the least. But Berserk is a very mature series and even though it has a great following, I don't think they could fund the rest of the project if only Berserk fans go. Personally I'm willing to sacrifice parts like Wylad, for the chance that we can finally see Post-Eclipse animated.

JoeZeon said:
Personally I'm willing to sacrifice parts like Wylad, for the chance that we can finally see Post-Eclipse animated.

To each their own, but I can't get on board with this line of thinking. As Griffith argued in an earlier post, Kentarou Miura's Berserk manga is complete in and of itself. It doesn't need an animation to make it whole or finally give it validation.

I sincerely hope Studio 4C continues to remember how lucky they are to have been given the opportunity to adapt it into an animation.

With that being said I eagerly anticipate getting to watch these myself.

Truder

JoeZeon said:
Personally I'm willing to sacrifice parts like Wylad,
That would definitely make me rage. :mozgus: I'm pretty lenient with the cuts or changes that they make, but that would go just go too far!

We shouldn't worry about things like that just yet though. The first movie just came out and that is where the attention should be.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
That was an interesting take on the battle. A lot of extra stuff added in. It wasn't really necessary but it was still cool. Though, much, much duller of an introduction than Guts fucking a demon.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Holy shit. Its fucking intense. Total bluballs though. Movie is an hour and twenty minutes. It ends after griffith is talking with Charlotte about his dream. Next movie is in june.

Edit... going to drop some money potentially if you all want to see the stuff. I can scan it and upload the pamphlet and ost. Let me know.

Truder

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Holy shit. Its fucking intense. Total bluballs though. Movie is an hour and twenty minutes. It ends after griffith is talking with Charlotte about his dream. Next movie is in june.
Could you go more in depth? You're our only way to know how the movie was. :daiba:

SaiyajinNoOuji

Bare with me since im typing this via my smartphone and i have some sausage fingers. They did cut/condense some stuff but i dont think it really detracted from the main story line. Guts childhood and some of the smaller battles were shortened to small 5 second quips. Everything else though... woah. The music set the atmosphere tremendously. I was pumped from start to finish. Even though i already knew what happened, i was still excited.

Now the animation... it works in some areas like the fighting but when they are talking and pacing around, i thought i was playing a ps2 game and was looking for the skip button. Regardless, its still a great movie and i think when you all have a chance to see it, will enjoy it.

SO MUCH TO SAY! Will write a bit later. But for now, looks like this is streaming live right now. You need a membership (it's free), but check it out. Nothing really interesting yet. Just people holding up the life size DS... lol.

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv75950258

Top Bottom