Berserk Saga Project News

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
JezzaX said:
I thought I saw somewhere that it's at the end of the year, likely November/December, but it's speculative, so don't quote me on that.

If they continue to do 3 films a year until they have covered all the content from the manga, it should give the manga a good chance to gain more ground and material in that time to justify yet more films. I'm looking forward to seeing how the later content is covered. Hopefully, these first few films will do well enough to warrant a higher budget to make sure the animation is improved upon later.
First movie was today, second movie is June 23rd, 3rd movie... they dont have a time frame yet. I am going to post the book that I got so hang tight. just need to get a scanner :iva:

Okay, I just got home from seeing the movie, too. It was badass. It has been out for 12 hours now, so I am surprised there aren't 1000 bootlegs of it floating on the internet now. I live in the mainland, but I am on the outskirts of Tokyo, so my theater wasn't full either.

It had a lot of people, but there were still 1/4ths of the seats left. The credits were awesome because they showed everyone's screen name that signed up to be part of the Band of Hawks on the website.

I just hope the main theaters were packed and this sells well. It was amazing. The first 5 minutes almost made me disappointed because of all the hype the movie had, but it got awesome fast. They were hyping it in magazines saying, "I can't believe they could show that kind of stuff in movies in Japan," so I thought it was just fake hype, but the movie did deliver. The violence wasn't toned down so much like I thought it was going to be.

The movie needed to be 3 hours long though. When it ended, I felt it was abrupt. I thought Julius' son needed some more scenes though from the manga to introduce him a little better, too.

Overall, great movie. Can't wait for June. Sorry for the ramble, I am just a little excited after the movie.

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
No. Okinawa is really, ugh, not into a lot of things that mainland is into. I could go on about that but... maybe it will get busy at night... granted a lot of people still have to work on Saturday so maybe Saturday Night/Sunday, there will be more... but I bought all the goods including the OST! =V going to load up pretty soon.

They sold the OST at your place? How much was it? My place was selling an 800 yen bookmark only. . . That is almost how much my ticket costed me, so I passed.

Glad to hear that some of the graphic content wasn't overly toned down, it shines a ray of hope that some of the scenes from later in the series won't be cut back too much.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Tabegoro said:
They sold the OST at your place? How much was it? My place was selling an 800 yen bookmark only. . . That is almost how much my ticket costed me, so I passed.
Well I got the 800 yen regular pamphlet, the 2500 yen leather bound pamphlet, and the ost which was 2800 yen. My ticket was 1600 yen! :mozgus:

So i spent around 100 bucks today on Berserk :slan: I am going to carefully take a part the 800 yen pamphlet and scan it when i get a chance.. the leather bound book... I dont know... maybe I will sell it!

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Well I got the 800 yen regular pamphlet, the 2500 yen leather bound pamphlet, and the ost which was 2800 yen. My ticket was 1600 yen! :mozgus:

So i spent around 100 bucks today on Berserk :slan: I am going to carefully take a part the 800 yen pamphlet and scan it when i get a chance.. the leather bound book... I dont know... maybe I will sell it!

Any chance of pictures of the leather bound pamphlet please? :slan: EDIT: Sorry, I shouldn't have read your post in such haste, seeing that you're going to be providing pictures.

I've spent a similar amount in the past week on Berserk too, with a young animal subscription, bandanna, poster, figma statue and the movie watch. Yet, I still want more!

SaiyajinNoOuji

JezzaX said:
Any chance of pictures of the leather bound pamphlet please? :slan:

I've spent a similar amount in the past week on Berserk too, with a young animal subscription, bandanna, poster, figma statue and the movie watch. Yet, I still want more!

I don't know why they aren't rotated since I did that before I uploaded them.

RaffoBaffo said:
Everyone? :guts:

Well, I didn't count them, but there was an entire 5 minutes of credits with pages of peoples' usernames, so I just thought it was everyone. Needless to say, it was a lot of people.

SaiyajinNoOuji said:

I don't know why they aren't rotated since I did that before I uploaded them.

Wow, I would have loved to spent that much on Berserk merchandise. I have to head out to town and see what it being sold.

RaffoBaffo

Ex-Newser of the late Berserk Chronicles
Tabegoro said:
Well, I didn't count them, but there was an entire 5 minutes of credits with pages of peoples' usernames, so I just thought it was everyone. Needless to say, it was a lot of people.
Ok, if they respect the ranking i'm in :guts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJo9HtK10oM

here is a interview of a producer (?)

maybe a bit late but i seems the first CM with griffith was a pilot, and the attack of doldrey is also in the pilot.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The regular pamphlet looks like this?

gxrhs063-img600x450-1327369924d3uqjz77204.jpg

RaffoBaffo said:
Everyone? :guts:

According to what they said a while ago, it's the top 1500 members.

jackalj said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJo9HtK10oM

here is a interview of a producer (?)

maybe a bit late but i seems the first CM with griffith was a pilot, and the attack of doldrey is also in the pilot.

It's already been posted and discussed a few pages ago.

Thank you hellrasinbrasin for posting that GORGEOUS AI music video!!! I swear, honest to goodness, when
Guts reaches his hand out to Adonis, it was so emotional, that my hand literally responded and it twitched to move upwards toward my computer screen to grab it! LOLOLOLOL! I was INTO it.

Thank you thedigitalsin for capturing the first 10 minutes of the film!!! I was smiling from start to finish. I will agree with some people here, that at times, the movements do look a bit awkward. And I do understand how people are comparing certain segments to video game cutscenes. But, overall, I think it looks absolutely beautiful! The environments, the amount of people moving on screen at once, the colors, the armor, the fighting (most specifically Guts' scenes and the Bazuso fight), etc etc... it's all a sight to behold! And this Bazuso scene isn't really much of an emotional one but I already got quite invested in it. Especially when Griffith is looking down at him from the top, I dug it.

Additionally,
I like the emphasis on Guts looking up into the sky to see the hawks. I like the fact that they showed naked dead body corpses lying next to the castle walls (a good sign that they will keep that dark, gory, grim feeling in the show). And of course... the OPENING CREDITS. WOW WOW WOW WOW. Truly truly amazing. And I too, was SHOCKED, that they showed so much!!! When I saw Schierke and crazy Casca, I lost it. And when they showed Skullknight breaking through... chills. And needless to say... HIRASAWA!!! It was surreal. I CAN NOT WAIT to get to the stuff after the Golden Age. I mean, hell, I'm gonna enjoy the Golden Age a ton of course, but to finally see all the stuff afterwards in animation form... it's going to be so fucking awesome!!!

Also, hellrasinbrasin, thank you for the 28 minute TV special! It was a very interesting watch, aside from the over the top hosts, LOLOL. And that voice over was so hilarious and over dramatic. Anyways, seeing that small clip of the pilot was a cool watch too. I wish they would show the full thing! And the interviews with the producers and the Studio 4C crew was really great to see. It does seem like the folks at Studio 4C are trying their best to blend the CG with the hand drawn. Getting a feel for how much care they have put into this... I really do hope the movie succeeds. I really do hope that the movies and Berserk get more fans, readers, and recognition. Kudos to them.

Tabegoro & SaiyajinNoOuji, I'm so uber jealous of you guys!!! It sounds depressing that you only had 10 people in your theater SaiyajinNoOuji, but good to know that Tabegoro had a nearly packed theater. I thought I would have tons of questions, but after seeing the recent clips that have popped up, and reading the answers to the questions that have already been asked... I feel like I have a good feel for the movie, and I just hope I'll be able to see it sooner than later!

HAPPY DAYS BERSERK FANS. HAPPY DAYS!

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
So is it uncommon in Japan for anime movies to be released as "extended editions" on dvd/blu-ray, as opposed to the shorter theatrical versions, like is often done with American movies? Because that would be the best case scenario at this point.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
KuraiDragoon said:
So is it uncommon in Japan for anime movies to be released as "extended editions" on dvd/blu-ray, as opposed to the shorter theatrical versions, like is often done with American movies? Because that would be the best case scenario at this point.

That would be great, but think about it for a second: if they had more material, why not feature it in the movie? 80 minutes is a pretty short running time for a theatrical movie. Extended editions are usually for movies that were deemed too lengthy, which isn't the case here.

H

hellrasinbrasin

While I accept the need to introduced a slightly toned down and compartmentalized cut of The Golden Age Arc to all audiences. The "Hellsing Ultimate" mindset for the production probably isn't the best way of handling a series like Berserk. I just hope that once this year comes to a close that the OVA's will be paced out better story wise. But other than that I have been enjoying the films Soundtrack.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
hellrasinbrasin said:
While I accept the need to introduced a slightly toned down and compartmentalized cut of The Golden Age Arc to all audiences. The "Hellsing Ultimate" mindset for the production probably isn't the best way of handling a series like Berserk. And while I'm being unrealistic in saying I would have liked each film to have had a run time of 215 Minutes each is being unrealistic. I just hope that once this year comes to a close that the OVA's will be paced out better story wise.

Well as we've learned they didn't plan on making 3 movies originally, but were forced to when they realized they'd bitten off more than they could chew. It's also not how I'd have done it, but it's no use talking about it now. Like you said, let's hope the rest of the project will be in a more fitting format.

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
Aazealh said:
That would be great, but think about it for a second: if they had more material, why not feature it in the movie? 80 minutes is a pretty short running time for a theatrical movie. Extended editions are usually for movies that were deemed too lengthy, which isn't the case here.
I think in a lot of cases, most cases in fact, it has a lot more to do with "flow" than actual length. That's why usually movie adaptions of books end up with extended editions, because the flow of a book is not suited for a theatrical movie. It's usually little sub-plots and background stories that get the axe *cough*guts' childhood*cough* because it takes away from the fast paced movie feel. I think the same could be true in this case.

I am, of course, being wildly optimistic.

Okay, I've lurked for a while in regards to this new adaptation, but now that it's been released and we've got to hear some of the buzz, I must say I'm cautiously optimistic about the future of this theatrical adaptation.

First, to get some lingering negative feelings about these adaptations out of the way--I am very disappointed that Guts' childhood is reduced to a very truncated patchwork of a flashback sequence. A lot of human drama involving Guts' upbringing and childhood is simply lost with only scattered crumbs remaining in the feature. :sad:

The lack of the Black Swordsman arc is also a bitter pill to swallow, especially with no concrete assurance it will be eventually animated. Ideally, this adaptation can partially save face by having a "chronological" debut of this after film 3 ends before the beginning of the Retribution arc, and make it a mostly (if not completely) self-contained story that can be viewed at home before the Golden Age arc. Not a truly satisfactory compromise, but the adaptation needs the Black Swordsman arc if it ever hopes to be a true adaptation of Berserk. The introduction of Puck alone should demand it, because it would be really weak if they concoct some B.S. alternate scene of Guts meeting Puck and otherwise bypass the Black Swordsman arc.

Lastly, the 3D modeling is very cheap looking for a 2012 theatrical feature. They're a few notches better than the early Nasonex Bee commercials, I guess, but even the cel-shading of these models seems second rate. I'm hoping the hand-drawn animation and other artistic touches help give the series a more professional appearance, but they've seriously got to do a more polished job on the 3D in future features.

Other than this, though, this adaptation seems promising. There seems to be relatively minimal censorship in terms of violence--which bodes well for much of the content that will likely comprise film 3. However, I expect some toning down of the sexual content like the scenes of Guts makin' whoopee with Casca or Griffith having a little hey-hey with Charlotte (not to mention the King of Midland's boudoir antics). The drama seems like it's coming off rather well and, outside of the near disposal of Guts childhood, the film seems to be following the Golden Age arc rather closely.

I look forward to seeing these, though understandably, not with the highest of expectations.

Again, MANY THANKS TO THEDIGITALSIN for capturing and uploading with the quickness! For those super OCD people (like me lol) I finally got around to capturing the 10 minute video from the GYAO site myself. I was able to capture a slightly higher/smoother quality clip (both video and audio wise), as well as maintaining the correct film aspect ratio. I have slow-ass upload speeds, but for now, here's the opening credits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4yMGeUX0LU

Speaking of "Aria", a higher quality sample is now available on Susumu's website, as well as of course, the whole CD for purchase!

http://noroom.susumuhirasawa.com/modules/artist/aria-single.html?ml_lang=en

I'll upload the full quality 10 minute video one right now (but it make take an hour or two for it to be done). The aspect ratio makes a big difference in my opinion! It makes the movements a tad more natural looking and so forth. In other words, it looks even more gorgeous now!!!

DirectDK said:
Hey guys. I finally got around to capturing the 10 minute video from the GYAO site myself. I was able to capture a slightly higher/smoother quality clip (both video and audio wise), as well as maintaining the correct film aspect ratio. I have slow-ass upload speeds, but for now, here's the opening credits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4yMGeUX0LU

I'll upload the full quality 10 minute video one right now (but it make take an hour or two for it to be done). The aspect ratio makes a big difference in my opinion! It makes the movements a tad more natural looking and so forth. In other words, it looks even more gorgeous now!!!

Awesome, Guts ruining that guy's day around 0:40 with his Dragonslayer gets me so excited for this whole project. xD

Top Bottom