Berserk Saga Project News

Oh my god! So much news!

Thanks for the review so far SaiyajinNoOuji. It sounds like they are doing the series justice despite some alterations for run time. I'm glad they aren't censoring too much and are even implying Guts child rape. I was expecting quite a bit more censorship for an international release with this much money thrown at it, but I'm happy to be wrong. I have little doubt that Fempto's rape will make the cut and hopefully Wyald will make it in some form.

The opening ten minutes are amazing! Altered from the manga, yes. But we get a very clear sense of the world of Berserk and it's incredibly visual, without too much reliance on voice over or exposition. The tone is set and it's brutal. Perpetual war, not even by national armies but by hired mercenaries. Death is abound and innocents are in the crosshairs. It's the perfect stage for Griffith to take the spot light and bring victory and salvation to the despairing masses. And I love the opening imagery. A bird soaring high knocked down from it's ascent to be trampled. Sound like a certain rising messiah figure? Great foreshadowing.

And I love the introduction of Guts at the siege tower. He leaps past his comrades, alone, and sprints past his enemy and even takes an arrow to dive into danger. Isn't this who he is? A stubborn, fearless warrior that seeks danger only to overcome it. Same with the battle with Bazûso. David vs. Goliath. The hair on my neck bristled when he charged in and pounded him back. Very nice direction. The censored kill only makes me think we have some graphic deaths to look forward to.

Even the last 30 seconds after the credits. Guts eyeing the orphaned baby. It says so much, what it reminds him of. It condenses a lot of story into these small moments, and lets audiences fill in the blanks. I'm sure his backstory will be revealed over time, but I get a good sense what type of loner he is. It makes me want to know more about him.

Decent interview video. It makes me appreciate the struggle to get this film made and I now understand the need to do so much CGI work. The huge armies and complex armor couldn't have been easy to hand draw. Did anyone else get the sense that when Guts is beaten by Griffith and staring up at the sky that he sees an angel soaring, or is it just a Hawk? It seems ambiguous enough for me. Until I see a high-res version, it seems like an interesting foreshadow for Griffith.

I can't wait to see the full length film, even in japanese. Berserk has always held a special place in my heart as a complex human drama set on on a broad canvas of exciting action and deep universal ideas. I hope they do it justice, even if it does take it's own liberties to bring it to the big screen. So far, I'm onboard.

My first questions would be if the film uses voice over from Guts at all, or if it's all dialogue and through action. Also, how do they handle the transition from young Guts and Griffith to the three years later to the battle with the Black Rams? Do we see the raid in the manga where Guts is the rear guard or is this all a montage? Exciting stuff.

Awesome. First 10 minutes sure had a lot of movement in it. Nice pacing, though the CG still bothers me. I hope the technology improves especially as far as cell shading goes as these movies continue to come out. Shadows in anime are usually designed to look good and have nice shape design, but with a render engine you never know quite what you're going to get.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
JoeZeon said:
Hey SaiyajinNoOuji, what do fans of Berserk in Japan think about the movie? Are they satisfied with what there getting?
Saiya might not be able to give you the best insight, as there were only 10 people in his theater, including a mom and her kids :ganishka: But if you're interested in digging deeper yourself, 2Ch, the biggest Japanese forum for these kinds of things, always has an active Berserk thread. There have been about 400 posts there since the movie was released.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
RyoGTO said:
I really wish I was better with my Japanese and could actually read all this Kanji... Japanese > English translators baffle me at how bad they are still. I am so interested in knowing the reaction of Japanese Berserk fans VS. people that saw it without knowing much about Berserk at all.
The people who frequent 2ch are never the most dedicated of fans. You really aren't missing much, from the look of things over there. Many are saying that they wish the OST was done by Hirasawa Susumu. Big surprise. There are also a number of posts complaining about the lack of Guts' childhood, and even more about the 2D/3D controversy. So really, nothing different from SKnet.

Walter said:
The people who frequent 2ch are never the most dedicated of fans. You really aren't missing much, from the look of things over there. Many are saying that they wish the OST was done by Hirasawa Susumu. Big surprise. There are also a number of posts complaining about the lack of Guts' childhood, and even more about the 2D/3D controversy. So really, nothing different from SKnet.

Ah, cool, thank you for the info! I guess I will just have to be patient as we get little bits of info through the cracks here and there... for now. In the meantime, I am going to start re-reading the manga this weekend, in preparation for this momentous event.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
JoeZeon said:
Hey SaiyajinNoOuji, what do fans of Berserk in Japan think about the movie? Are they satisfied with what there getting?

Well I suppose its popular enough to warrant a movie but I'm really not sure... I am pretty sure though that the attention that Berserk get's is a lot more apparent in Main Land as opposed to Podunk Okinawa. As Walter had mentioned, there were not that many people at the theaters... granted it was Saturday morning at 1020 and as I had mentioned before.. a good amount of people work on Saturday, especially those that would be really interested in Berserk.

On a side note... as I was leaving and the next session of Berserk was going to start, another mom and her two small daughters went inside. :ganishka: remember folks! If you are searching for lonely MILFS who are into berserk! Check your local theater! :carcus:

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
I can't speak of how accurate this is to the manga, nor how good or bad Guts looks and everything overall. But I will say I like the attention to detail they had with movements. Besides the obvious, one particular part that caught my attention was
when the soldiers get off their "tower" and immediately you notice the cluster where most mercenaries (under that assumption in my part at least) were literally waiting for a turn.
A lot of work was done in that perspective.

After seeing those 10min I was quite happy and wasnt bothered too much by CG,I am just glad I can see Berserk being animated and still think those movies will be sucess,and CG hasnt killed anyone yet,still people who are complaining about it are probably going to watch movie anyway. Gotta start saving for Blu Ray :p

Lukis said:
[...] CG hasnt killed anyone yet, [...]
Just the CGI soldiers each other in the movie :ganishka:
But I agree, although there are some bad parts, overall it looks good. I hope they will earn enough money to improve it. I started saving, too :slan:

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Aazealh said:
The regular pamphlet looks like this?

gxrhs063-img600x450-1327369924d3uqjz77204.jpg
No Sir, its much much bigger and more pages. It goes into a depth about the production of the movie and has interviews with the voice actors. Once I get a scanner I will load it up since I bought the cheaper paper one and more expensive leather bound one.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Lukis said:
After seeing those 10min I was quite happy and wasnt bothered too much by CG,I am just glad I can see Berserk being animated and still think those movies will be sucess,and CG hasnt killed anyone yet,still people who are complaining about it are probably going to watch movie anyway.

You can watch a movie despite having complaints about it you know.

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
No Sir, its much much bigger and more pages. It goes into a depth about the production of the movie and has interviews with the voice actors. Once I get a scanner I will load it up since I bought the cheaper paper one and more expensive leather bound one.

Ah, you mean they both have the same content? Ok, thanks!

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
I watched the first 10 minutes of the movie again and during the opening credits this caught my eye (this is much darker on youtube, I just brightened up the picture):
asd-2.jpg

It reminds me of when the berserker armor tries to posses Guts. Clenched teeth, a wrinkled nose and the shadowy stuff trying to consume his head. I'm not saying that it's definitely from that, but that does not look like blood dripping down his head either. The only thing that's missing is the bottom "jaw" of the armor

berserk_c317_003.jpg

Just something that caught my attention. Maybe it's from a pilot? they seemed scattered all over the place (those leaked images of Casca and Puck and the CM's of Griffith on the hill of swords and Guts attacking the holy iron chain knights). Maybe they animated a little bit of the berserker armor too but simply didn't show it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Truder said:
It reminds me of when the berserker armor tries to posses Guts. Clenched teeth, a wrinkled nose and the shadowy stuff trying to consume his head. I'm not saying that it's definitely from that, but that does not look like blood dripping down his head either. The only thing that's missing is the bottom "jaw" of the armor

Yeah I agree, and like you said it's probably from early demo footage.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Truder said:
Nah, the first thing that came to mind for me was the Rochine fight in volume 16. Remember when Guts gets his cheeks skewered by avoiding a blow to his face? Also at that point in the fight, he'd already set fire to the cocoons, hence the background imagery.

Of course, it's also such a general image that it could be from a number of things. But I do still think that looks like blood, not necessarily the uh... armor goo.

His cheek looks pierced to me. That small red circle. Fight with Roshine(don't know the real way to spell it, I see a different one every time) is what came to my mind while watching the credits for the first time.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Nah, the first thing that came to mind for me was the Rochine fight in volume 16. Remember when Guts gets his cheeks skewered by avoiding a blow to his face?

Ah, that's true, I was actually wondering what the wound in his cheek might be, but it's so obvious now! That actually makes me more excited for it. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Drakull said:
Damn it! I want to see the full anime uncensored !
Such senseless bloodthirst! :void: But really calm down, man. It was just done that way for the 10-minute preview which was aired across the Internet in Japan. It won't be that way in theaters.

Top Bottom