Berserk Saga Project News

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
StarKodama said:
Sorry! :guts: Are you in there under Aazealh? And how does one get their name on the list, anyway?

Yup, I'm listed as Aazealh. To appear you have to participate in a little contest on Twitter. The specifics are detailed in this thread.

voodoo_sh said:
They lack of marketing, am I right?

Do they? It didn't seem to be the case to me. They've done their fair share of promoting, partnerships and merchandizing.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I don't think this has been posted but it does show a bit of the fight between Guts and Dan and Earl at the 1 minute mark, to give an idea of how that fight is going to look.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WscO1ZVkXGg&feature=related

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
I don't think this has been posted but it does show a bit of the fight between Guts and Dan and Earl at the 1 minute mark, to give an idea of how that fight is going to look.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WscO1ZVkXGg&feature=related

It has been posted actually, but that's not a big deal.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Aazealh said:
Do they? It didn't seem to be the case to me. They've done their fair share of promoting, partnerships and merchandizing.
it wasnt as heavily advertized as some of the other movies. Some of the other movies that get heavy air time are shown at all times of the day... I only saw Berserk once on a comercial during the morning news. :sad:

I have another thing which bothers me with regard to these new films... that is the total showtime of the 3 combined together. Is it sufficient enough to cover the entire Golden Age Arc? The last I remember during the 1997 animated series it took them 24 episodes (exclude the first which was from the Black Swordsman Arc) to cover most of the Golden Age Arc, which also translate to at least 8 hours of running time. Not to mentioned that the 1997 series already omitted almost 2 volumes worth of content from it (which include battle with Silat, the Bakiraka assassins, Skullknight's appearance, Wyald battle, The raping of princess charlotte from the King etc.)

If you ask me, I would say the entire Golden Age Arc might need up to 10 hours of showtime in order for it to cover everything, I am pretty the these new 3 films do not meet up to that amount of showtime, hence I am pretty concerned on what will they will omit this time around.

P.S: Not sure if this concern has been posted before, if it does, I am sorry for reposting again. :sad:

Since the project was announced. Over and over... and over... and over... again. :troll:

As with any movie adaptations, consider them extras. They are never like the original material, and always cut/change things to fit the format/budget/director vision. Ask the LOTR fans. The movies by themselves are good fun, but not even near a literal translation of the books. That's the case with most movies adaptations (if not every single one). I'd think that would be common knowledge and expected by now. I mean... It's always been like that. Nothing new.

The manga (original source) will always be the complete, original, main "Berserk". Any others are just extras for fun. Like the video-games. :carcus:

People who expect the exact same thing on any other media always are just setting themselves up for disapointment. Life is too imperfect. Two completely equal and awesome Berserk versions would implode the universe. :void:

Walter said:
In brief: Miura would like The Black Swordsman Arc to be next, pending success of the three Golden Age movies.

That is pretty awesome news! I better get out my shrine and start my prayers--I am waiting to see the box office results for last week

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Walter said:
In brief: Miura would like The Black Swordsman Arc to be next, pending success of the three Golden Age movies.

If Miura had some balls he would've said that since the beginning, before they started producing this anime. No wonder the movie is doing poorly. Rehash what everyone has already seen with a crappy new skin? Something that doesn't feel remotely like Berserk. And with all the shitty cash grab merchandise and promotion? Bleh.
At least the old anime was more faithful, didn't pretend to be this EPIC thing with every little sequence trying to be more spectacular than the previous, and at least had a soundtrack by someone who has been an inspiration while Miura draws.
I might be a grumpy bastard, but this whole project stinks.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
If Miura had some balls he would've said that since the beginning, before they started producing this anime.

Show some fucking respect. Grumpiness doesn't excuse everything. You don't know the specifics of how this was all done and I'm sure you know Miura couldn't have just forced everybody to do things his way (nor is it how he'd act anyway).

NightCrawler said:
And with all the shitty cash grab merchandise and promotion? Bleh.

The TV series had way more merchandise associated to it when it came out...

NightCrawler said:
If Miura had some balls he would've said that since the beginning, before they started producing this anime. No wonder the movie is doing poorly.

There are so many things wrong with this sentence, it makes my head spin. The film isn't doing poorly at all for the number of theaters it's been released in. And it's getting overall positive reviews from fans and non-fans alike, aside from some technical issues with the 3D.

And blaming Miura? Really? Other than the initial approval to do his entire series (including the Black Swordsman Arc), as it got rolling I doubt his role was much more than a special consultant. He was busy with the manga and isn't a filmmaker. But he had, in fact, refused many other productions before so I'm sure he had confidence in the direction they were taking.

NightCrawler said:
Rehash what everyone has already seen with a crappy new skin? Something that doesn't feel remotely like Berserk.

At least the old anime was more faithful, didn't pretend to be this EPIC thing with every little sequence trying to be more spectacular than the previous.

So you've seen the movie then? It's been released in you're country with subtitles? :azan:

Everything we've heard from those who have seen it has been overly positive regarding the story and characters. Same thing with online reviews. I reserve the right to hate this film, but not until I've seen it.

NightCrawler

Berserk is his. I doubt they would move along with such a thing without his approval. If he approved this rehash of the Golden Age, then i'm going to say it was a pussy move.
I thought the same about the PS2 game, and the liberties taken with it. I'm not a blind devotee of everything outside the manga, and i'm going to question the artistic merit of such choices, if they were made by Miura.

I don't care about reviews, what i've seen so far is bad. I'm not delusional to the point of thinking the movie is going to have a totally different tone from everything that has been shown. And the 3d is the least of my concerns.

NightCrawler said:
If Miura had some balls he would've said that since the beginning, before they started producing this anime. No wonder the movie is doing poorly. Rehash what everyone has already seen with a crappy new skin? Something that doesn't feel remotely like Berserk. And with all the shitty cash grab merchandise and promotion? Bleh.
At least the old anime was more faithful, didn't pretend to be this EPIC thing with every little sequence trying to be more spectacular than the previous, and at least had a soundtrack by someone who has been an inspiration while Miura draws.
I might be a grumpy bastard, but this whole project stinks.

To be precise. The TV-Show is a crappy tv-show. It's not limited animation anymore, it feels like dragon ball z in its worst moments. And who wants a perfect retelling of the manga anyways? That's on the one hand fuckign impossible and second why would you just imitate something, just create something new/different out of it. That's what i wish for. You can say all taht bullcrap when you watched the movie, but beforehand its just bullcrap. after that it's your bullcrappy opinion.

And to be honest. Retelling? Everyone would have forgot that shitty tv-show till now and say " oh, what happened there?! Mhm...can't remember" and then there should be a follow-up to that? Sorry but i think since the tv-show was executed this bad they had to rehash everything. And i'm glad. Because the tv-show is unwatchable.

NightCrawler

kaimera said:
To be precise. The TV-Show is a crappy tv-show. It's not limited animation anymore, it feels like dragon ball z in its worst moments. And who wants a perfect retelling of the manga anyways? That's on the one hand fuckign impossible and second why would you just imitate something, just create something new/different out of it. That's what i wish for. You can say all taht bullcrap when you watched the movie, but beforehand its just bullcrap. after that it's your bullcrappy opinion.

And to be honest. Retelling? Everyone would have forgot that shitty tv-show till now and say " oh, what happened there?! Mhm...can't remember" and then there should be a follow-up to that? Sorry but i think since the tv-show was executed this bad they had to rehash everything. And i'm glad. Because the tv-show is unwatchable.

Don't you think there's too many liberties taken with this adaptation? Not even with faithfulness, but with tone, with the style, the design of the characters. Everything feels off. But i guess we'll see the SkullKnight animated, and everyone will cheer in joy.
As for the old tv-show. People to this day watch it and use it to introduce others to the manga. And as i've seen, the transition is almost flawless. People get hooked, if they like the anime, they'll love the manga. There's obvious problems with the old anime, but at least it feels like Berserk. Go take a look at Griffith's Recut.

NightCrawler said:
Don't you think there's too many liberties taken with this adaptation? Not even with faithfulness, but with tone, with the style, the design of the characters. Everything feels off. But i guess we'll see the SkullKnight animated, and everyone will cheer in joy.
As for the old tv-show. People to this day watch it and use it to introduce others to the manga. And as i've seen, the transition is almost flawless. People get hooked, if they like the anime, they'll love the manga. There's obvious problems with the old anime, but at least it feels like Berserk. Go take a look at Griffith's Recut.

I'm willing to give the film the benefit of the doubt. Whilst I'm grateful for the old series being an introduction to Berserk many years ago (along with the Dreamcast title) we likely have something of a nostalgic view of it, despite not being as faithful to the manga as it could have been. Neither the old anime or the new project will gain awards for their animation or faithfulness to the manga, but with this being just the first film and having only seen a select few clips, I'm going to hold out complete judgement until I see it in it's entirety.

Yes, the new project appears bright and colourful upon first glance, but judging on some of the other scenes that we're seeing there's every opportunity the tone will darken as it gets closer to the eclipse and who knows what things will be like post eclipse?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
NightCrawler said:
Berserk is his. I doubt they would move along with such a thing without his approval. If he approved this rehash of the Golden Age, then i'm going to say it was a pussy move.

Well, if he approved of it because he truly didn't mind, or perhaps because he wanted to see it done differently after the last adaptation, I don't really see how it's that way. You're exaggerating to extremes and as Aaz pointed out being needless disrespectful.

NightCrawler said:
I thought the same about the PS2 game, and the liberties taken with it. I'm not a blind devotee of everything outside the manga, and i'm going to question the artistic merit of such choices, if they were made by Miura.

Who is? Outside the manga isn't the issue around here (otherwise, bash away =), but Miura is synonymous with the manga (hint hint), not the merchandise which he doesn't himself produce. You're holding him to an unfair artistic standard as if he's truly in complete control of all these things when it's never that simple with a property this big. I mean, he isn't drawing Berserk for free so it can be distributed at art shows, it is his livelihood and part of a bigger business, and part of that is merchandising and everything else that comes with it. That may very well be why he keeps his focus on the manga, because he's not interested in the peripheral stuff or business side. He certainly isn't one for self-promotion.

NightCrawler said:
I don't care about reviews, what i've seen so far is bad. I'm not delusional to the point of thinking the movie is going to have a totally different tone from everything that has been shown. And the 3d is the least of my concerns.

Right on.

kaimera said:
And who wants a perfect retelling of the manga anyways?

:griffnotevil:

kaimera said:
That's on the one hand fuckign impossible and second why would you just imitate something, just create something new/different out of it. That's what i wish for.

It wasn't until this thread that I learned adaptation isn't so much translating something to another medium as making something completely different out of it. =)

kaimera said:
You can say all taht bullcrap when you watched the movie, but beforehand its just bullcrap. after that it's your bullcrappy opinion.

kaimera said:
And to be honest. Retelling? Everyone would have forgot that shitty tv-show till now and say " oh, what happened there?! Mhm...can't remember" and then there should be a follow-up to that? Sorry but i think since the tv-show was executed this bad they had to rehash everything. And i'm glad. Because the tv-show is unwatchable

Yeah, but that's why it's not such a good thing if the TV series turns out to be more faithful and, from what I've seen of the Blu-Ray, arguably better looking.

NightCrawler said:
Don't you think there's too many liberties taken with this adaptation? Not even with faithfulness, but with tone, with the style, the design of the characters. Everything feels off.
NightCrawler said:
There's obvious problems with the old anime, but at least it feels like Berserk.

I largely agree, but it's only fair I cut the movie the same slack I do the old (or is it "classic" now?) anime. At least until I see it and what its relative strengths are. I want to see if the whole is somehow greater than the sum of the parts I've seen and if perhaps it doesn't do the series some measure of justice in a different way.

NightCrawler said:
Go take a look at Griffith's Recut.

:ubik:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
ApostleBob said:
Everything we've heard from those who have seen it has been overly positive regarding the story and characters. Same thing with online reviews.

That doesn't necessarily mean much depending on the viewers' level of exigency.

NightCrawler said:

Well at some point you have to choose between having no products based on your work or to have products that will not be completely faithful to it. And that's not even getting into the pressure from Hakusensha and all that. Complaining about the liberties taken with the PS2 game is fine by me, but blaming it on Miura is ridiculous. Especially since staying faithful to the manga wouldn't make for a good video game short of writing an entire side story for it. The same goes for everything else. Miura isn't personally responsible for Art of War's fucked up faces, nor did he direct this movie himself.

kaimera said:
And who wants a perfect retelling of the manga anyways? That's on the one hand fuckign impossible and second why would you just imitate something, just create something new/different out of it. That's what i wish for.

That's not much of a point you're making here. This movie could be argued to be a mere imitation of the story told by the manga, and it really is exactly that. Nothing's been "created" here, stop deluding yourself.

kaimera said:
And to be honest. Retelling? Everyone would have forgot that shitty tv-show till now and say " oh, what happened there?! Mhm...can't remember" and then there should be a follow-up to that?

I disagree. A lot of people haven't forgotten about it. Don't be so presumptuous.

kaimera said:
Sorry but i think since the tv-show was executed this bad they had to rehash everything. And i'm glad. Because the tv-show is unwatchable.

Stop exaggerating, it only makes you sound stupid. And really, this new movie could be and has been argued to have at least as many defaults as the TV series did. You speak of watching it before bashing it, but you're apparently worshipping it before having watched it yourself. Let's be level-headed here. It's never all good or all bad.

JezzaX said:
Neither the old anime or the new project will gain awards for their animation or faithfulness to the manga

Correct.

JezzaX said:
Yes, the new project appears bright and colourful upon first glance, but judging on some of the other scenes that we're seeing there's every opportunity the tone will darken as it gets closer to the eclipse and who knows what things will be like post eclipse?

Not every scene in Berserk is supposed to be DARK and DULL anyway... Not sure where that came from.

NightCrawler

It boils down to this: I wished Miura had pressed for a different part of the story being animated. Nevertheless it's better for him to focus on the manga than to have a fistfight over this.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
NightCrawler said:
It boils down to this: I wished Miura had pressed for a different part of the story being animated. Nevertheless it's better for him to focus on the manga than to have a fistfight over this.

I agree with every part of that. Though, on the bright side, my hope is that the films will generate enough revenue that not only do they do Black Swordsman next, but that its actually much better for it. They could justify a higher budget then, and in either case they should have improved their new CG animation processes and will have gotten feedback on what worked and didn't (see everyone, reasoned complaining is good =). Looking at it that way, what material is better to experiment with than the stuff that's already been animated? So, instead of this opportunity arguably being wasted on what amounts to a retread of the last anime, it could be the perfect sacrifice for the rest of the material to thrive! :void:

Aazealh said:
Not every scene in Berserk is supposed to be DARK and DULL anyway... Not sure where that came from.

I agree. I think this can be viewed differently by other people and how they view the colour transition from the manga. I can understand that some people may consider the colour palette particularly vibrant in this representation compared to what they're used to, especially if they hold the old anime in high regard as a comparison.

Top Bottom