Berserk Saga Project News

Holy crap, I don't know how good the sales really are but Berserk is really doing well on Amazon ranks

It's ranked 104 in DVD ( The Bluray )
22 in DVD > Blu Ray > Anime (wow!)
31 in DVD > Anime ( Double wow!!)

If it manages to sell over 10,000 copies, you could say it didn't fail.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Like you said yourself, Amazon ranks aren't a very reliable indicator. And I don't think 10,000 copies is what the studio is aiming for either.

Aazealh said:
Like you said yourself, Amazon ranks aren't a very reliable indicator. And I don't think 10,000 copies is what the studio is aiming for either.

10,000 copies = 400,000 + euros, or around 600k dollars ( Not to forget they aren't released yet )
And when it gets released outside of Japan, especially in the USA
And there's the 1.3 million from the theaters
And 2 more movies to appear on them + their DVD and Blu ray sales

Stuff like Naruto and Bleach sell around 1,000 copies
Just like them, even Berserk wouldn't be too popular with the otakus because they're all over moe and shit
If it sold 10,000 copies it would be a huge success for an action and dark fantasy anime actually

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SuperVegetto said:
Stuff like Naruto and Bleach sell around 1,000 copies

Are you joking? I don't know what's funnier, that you think a Naruto movie would only sell a thousand copy in Japan, or that a Berserk movie would outdo Naruto 10:1. Either way it's ridiculous and I'm asking you to stop posting nonsense.

Aazealh said:
Are you joking? I don't know what's funnier, that you think a Naruto movie would only sell a thousand copy in Japan, or that a Berserk movie would outdo Naruto 10:1. Either way it's ridiculous and I'm asking you to stop posting nonsense.
It's a little more than 1,000 but I said so since Bleach stopped selling that much. Let's make 3000 the approximate number of sales for one Naruto and Bleach release
I was speaking about Naruto anime in general not movies.
Here's some previous sales of Naruto and Bleach

Sales for the week of 01/10-01/16
32 - 1,751 *,**1,751 - Naruto Shippuuden: Futari no Kyuueishu Arc 4

06/20~06/26 (2011) Oricon Top 30 Anime DVD
23(***) *,*495 *,**3,442 **2 BLEACH Hamen Metsubo Hen

06/13~06/19 (2011) Oricon Top 30 Anime DVD
1 - ● 2,947 2,947 BLEACH Arrancar Metsubou-hen v5

10/3-9/2011
*4, 1,407 *,**1,407 Naruto: Shippuuden Goei Shuketsu no Sho vol.2

9/5-11/2011

*5, 1,430 *,**1,430 Naruto: Shippuuden Goei Shuketsu no Sho vol.1

10/31-11/06
*7, 1,239 *,**1,239 Naruto: ShippuudenGoei Shuketsu no Sho vol.3

Yes most of them are first week sales, but they rarely appear in the rankings after that, so they couldn't have sold that much.

For movies they sell more though, I know Bleach once sold 20,000 for it's 4th movie and Naruto sold 12,000 + for it's latest movie Blood Prison

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SuperVegetto said:
I was speaking about Naruto anime in general not movies.

I know, and that's the problem. Compare what's comparable. These long running TV series don't need DVD/BD sales to make money, so making projections and defining financial success for the Berserk movie based on that seems pretty pointless. I'd say the amount it made in theaters is more determinant in that regard.

Aazealh said:
I know, and that's the problem. Compare what's comparable. These long running TV series don't need DVD/BD sales to make money, so making projections and defining financial success for the Berserk movie based on that seems pretty pointless. I'd say the amount it made in theaters is more determinant in that regard.

Yeah it can never make as much with BD sales than it did with the theater sales, unless it sells so much outside of Japan, and I doubt that's going to happen, at least not that much.

But if we look it at another way,

Berserk is 18+, most people who read it should be adults who have jobs, and Berserk is over 20 years old, and most of them have been waiting for a new anime all this time.
The only way we can approximately figure out how many people buy Berserk is divide the number of sales with that of the volumes, because assuming each person bought each volume is the only way we can get close to the number of people who buy Berserk, or simply the number of sales a normal Berserk volume gets.

Berserk has sold over 30 million in Japan, I'll circle at 30 million. There are 36 volumes. If we divide them we get 833.333 people who buy Berserk approx.

Now only if 1% of those people bought the movie, we'd get about 8k sales. I hope they did, even more than that

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SuperVegetto said:
Yeah it can never make as much with BD sales than it did with the theater sales, unless it sells so much outside of Japan, and I doubt that's going to happen, at least not that much.

The international market is pretty different from the Japanese one I think, so I wouldn't exclude some nice sales numbers after cumulating every other country.

SuperVegetto said:
The only way we can approximately figure out how many people buy Berserk is divide the number of sales with that of the volumes, because assuming each person bought each volume is the only way we can get close to the number of people who buy Berserk, or simply the number of sales a normal Berserk volume gets.

Berserk has sold over 30 million in Japan, I'll circle at 30 million. There are 36 volumes. If we divide them we get 833.333 people who buy Berserk approx.

No, last I checked Berserk sat at 25 million volumes sold in Japan. And the volumes aren't selling like you think they do. The progression isn't even. For example, volume 36 sold 256,464 copies (according to Oricon) during its first 2 weeks before dropping off the charts. After that the progression is marginal. You have to take that into account. Another thing to keep in mind is that the Golden Age arc is a specific part of the story, one that's both pretty old and has been animated before. It might not appeal to the entirety of the manga reading crowd, just as it might appeal to non-manga readers (although that remains conjecture). And then there are people who went to see it in the theater and won't feel the need to buy it on DVD/BD. Lastly, the quality of the movie can tip the balance one way or another; that shouldn't be ignored. Even the fans could refrain from buying it if it doesn't meet their expectations.

ZODDOII

BERSERK
SuperVegetto said:
tumblr_m3iqcccvMY1qflb4co10_1280.png

Was this in the manga?

This poor old man looks so bad. and who is that shadow? may be is..... :-X

russian homepage for berserk movie .. berserkfilm.ru , thought i would check it,and they had few small screens from movie.

According to Anime UK News, those who will be attending the MCM Expo in London at the end of May will get a little treat:

Kazé UK and Manga Entertainment will present exclusive footage from exciting new anime movie Berserk: The Golden Age Arc - Egg of the King, to be followed by a Q&A with Kaze UK's Andrew Partridge and voice actor Michael Sinterniklaas, plus a free signing of Berserk posters at Manga's booth

This is supposed to be happening on the Sunday, which is conveniently the very day I bought a ticket for. If anyone has anything they want to ask in the Q&A, let me know and I'll see if I can slip in a few questions and report back.

JezzaX said:
According to Anime UK News, those who will be attending the MCM Expo in London at the end of May will get a little treat:

This is supposed to be happening on the Sunday, which is conveniently the very day I bought a ticket for. If anyone has anything they want to ask in the Q&A, let me know and I'll see if I can slip in a few questions and report back.

Does this quote mean exclusive footage from 2nd movie?

Since Michael Sinterniklaas is there, it could be an exclusive clip of what it will be like when dubbed. I would also assume that with Sinterniklaas' involvement, they might be using the same cast as the 97 series, I just hope they do a better job of it this time.

Some other news for the UK lot. Manga Entertainment have announced that:
Berserk The Golden Age Arc: Egg of the King movie to get UK DVD & Blu-ray release on 31 December

JezzaX said:
Since Michael Sinterniklaas is there, it could be an exclusive clip of what it will be like when dubbed. I would also assume that with Sinterniklaas' involvement, they might be using the same cast as the 97 series, I just hope they do a better job of it this time.

Some other news for the UK lot. Manga Entertainment have announced that:
Oh damn thats awfully late... Puck is pissed,watch out UK
522766_426854524008987_100000533280294_1522722_1211877029_n.jpg

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=VPXV-71219

External bonus? I only saw that now and not a few days ago, and I pre ordered my copy less than a month ago, am I getting those ballpoint pens?

Top Bottom