Berserk Saga Project News

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
WTF??!? Are they deliberately trying to piss us off? What possible reason could they have for Zodd not throwing his sword? God dammit.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
First of all, thanks for reviewing it Tabegoro. It's great to have early impressions from one of our members. But I can't say any of your tidings really bring me happiness... But don't let that soil the fact that I appreciate you reaching out to us for questions. I have a few.

Tabegoro said:
No, they did not show the Griffith/Gennon flashback, so the viewer had to guess a little about their relationship before Griffith killed him.

For uninitiated viewers? They'd have to guess more than a little.

The movie had very little character development or character interaction in my opinion. I still enjoyed it though.
How? The fact that there were characters moving around on screen?

Zodd never threw his sword. . . why did they cut this? Guts just cuts through the guy after a pretty cool battle like he did with everyone else for the first hour of the movie.
Of course... :mozgus:

The court intrigue thing apparently ended with Julius. That was a little disappointing.
As we surmised. So that means no burning of the queen and other nobles. Nothing that shows Griffith's darker side, other than moody stares.

The movie starts off with the fight with Adon, then goes to another fight with Gennon, and then ...
Does Guts explain his reasons for leaving to Judo and Carcus? No scene at the bar where Judo tries to talk him out of leaving?

ends with Guts leaving the band and not saying those famous last words.
Wait, that doesn't make any sense. What about the Griffith and Charlotte seduction scene? Is Griffith shown being imprisoned and whipped/tortured, like in the trailers? The beherit never falls through the grate?

But hey, it's better than nothing.
I'd rather have nothing.

Guys, the Eclipse is going to be a fucking nightmare. And I don't mean the intentional kind.

H

hellrasinbrasin

With how retarded this production has been I wouldn't be surprised if they have Zodd throw Guts a sword during the Eclipse.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Wow, sounds like it's actually much worse than the first one somehow. Should we just shut down this whole section or something? Anyway, I'm relieved the Berserk Saga Project will most likely be over with the third installment.

Tabegoro said:
It was basically a movie with two long battle fights. . . and that's about it.
Tabegoro said:
The movie had very little character development or character interaction in my opinion.

I think that about sums it up.

Thanks Tabegoro, bad news but good intel.

H

hellrasinbrasin

Griffith said:
Sounds like it's actually much worse than the first one somehow. Should we just shut down this whole section or something?
I would hold off until the 3rd film hits theaters at least.

I really don't understand the logic behind this adaption if they wanted to do an anime about epic cg battle without showing characters development then they made a big mistake by choosing berserk.

It seems that the team behind the adaption think the story only focuses about wielding a sword and sway it at the enemies??

I'm most worried about the 3rd movie. They have a lot of bases to cover with the Guts/Casca/Hawks reunion, Skullknight, Silat, Griffith rescue, assassins, Wyald, pre-Eclipse set up, the Eclipse, the rescue, Godo's hut scenes, and Black Swordsman arc buildup. There is no way they are going to keep all of those elements in there at the rate they've been going, and that is most disappointing since much of that was not adapted in the TV series. They'd better extend the film's length to cap off the trilogy properly, but it's almost certainly going to be another short 75 minute run-time.

berserk36 said:
I want to ask about both movies do they both feel PG-13 ish or feel turn down on the gore/nudesences in both movies

One of the few upsides to these is that there is no actual censorship like the TV series had to do.

Roderick said:
I'm most worried about the 3rd movie. They have a lot of bases to cover with the Guts/Casca/Hawks reunion, Skullknight, Silat, Griffith rescue, assassins, Wyald, pre-Eclipse set up, the Eclipse, the rescue, Godo's hut scenes, and Black Swordsman arc buildup. There is no way they are going to keep all of those elements in there at the rate they've been going, and that is most disappointing since much of that was not adapted in the TV series. They'd better extend the film's length to cap off the trilogy properly, but it's almost certainly going to be another short 75 minute run-time.

You shouldn't worry since it is a f****ed up adaption and they will continue with cutting the story to adapt to the length time of the movie.

hellrasinbrasin said:
With how retarded this production has been I wouldn't be surprised if they have Zodd throw Guts a sword during the Eclipse.

I LOL'd

I know it's been said before, but at best these movies seem catered towards a subset of existing fans of the series who will feel fortunate enough to see characters moving around on screen, integrity of the source material be damned. Griffith (the admin) said it best last year when he commentedthat it was studio 4C who should be the ones feeling fortunate. Fortunate enough to be given the opportunity to adapt a work like Berserk.

For others in the world still uninitiated to Berserk, I feel that these movies are more likely to hurt Berserk's reputation overall.

Imagine they made a berserk game (rpg) that was 100% true to the manga. I'm getting the impression that if you took all the animated cutscenes from that game and compiled them into a cutscene montage you might get something similar to the movies we have now.

Tabegoro said:
Movie Spoilers!
No, they did not show the Griffith/Gennon flashback, so the viewer had to guess a little about their relationship before Griffith killed him. The movie had very little character development or character interaction in my opinion. I still enjoyed it though.
How can viewers know that Gennon is an old pedo?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
At this point, I don't think it's too hard to predict how movie 3 is going to go:

-Opens with Guts encountering the Skull Knight by campfire
-Cut to Hawks on the run, Guts saves them
-Guts and Casca make love
-They dig a hole in the ground and find Griffith's cell a few feet down, drag him out
-Guts kills 50 nameless/faceless guards on the way out, in a scene lasting 10 minutes
-Eclipse
-30 second clip of Guts armoring up and setting out to hunt down Femto
-The End.

I'm serious.

H

hellrasinbrasin

I'm guessing that the following hijinks will ensue with the 3rd during the Eclipse:

1.Corkus slips and falls and the HR Giger Apostle woman descends upon him from out of nowhere
2.Griffith will smile as he rapes Casca
3.Guts will look in the opposite direction of the rape
4.Guts will replace his old yet never broken sword with the Dragon Slayer
5.Zodd lets Skull Knight enter the Vortex without challenging him

Jaze1618 said:
I LOL'd

I know it's been said before, but at best these seem catered towards a subset of existing fans of the series who will feel fortunate enough to see characters moving around on screen, integrity of the source material be damned. Griffith (the admin) said it best last year when he commentedthat it was studio 4C who should be the ones feeling fortunate. Fortunate enough to be given the opportunity to adapt a work like Berserk.

For others in the world still uninitiated to Berserk, I feel that these movies are more likely to hurt Berserk's reputation overall.

Imagine they made a berserk game (rpg) that was 100% true to the manga. I'm getting the impression that if you took all the animated cutscenes from that game and compiled them into a cutscene montage you might get something similar to the movies we have now.

A Big Final Fantasy/Skyrim size game for Berserk with Smiler gameplay as the old Berserk games would be a great

hahaha and to think I actually thought that the longer run time would allow them to flush the story out! :ganishka: HA man this has been a waste of time and money. Just scrap the damn project after the 3rd movie or at the very least clean house. Its obvious that the produces are not fans of the series, cause any Berserk fan in their right mind wouldn't butcher the series like this. :mozgus:

Walter said:
At this point, I don't think it's too hard to predict how movie 3 is going to go:

-Opens with Guts encountering the Skull Knight by campfire
-Cut to Hawks on the run, Guts saves them
-Guts and Casca make love
-They dig a hole in the ground and find Griffith's cell a few feet down, drag him out
-Guts kills 50 nameless/faceless guards on the way out, in a scene lasting 10 minutes
-Eclipse
-30 second clip of Guts armoring up and setting out to hunt down Femto
-The End.

But the worst is that none of it will have any meaning or punch what so ever. People are going to walk out of the theater after the Eclipse thinking "wow that made no sense, this sucks" Instead of "O my god I have to know what happens next! I'm heading over to the bookstore to pick up the manga!!"

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
JoeZeon said:
But the worst is that none of it will have any meaning or punch what so ever.
Well, the biggest travesty to me for the Eclipse will be that the sacrifice itself will hardly be meaningful at all, given that most of the significant character interactions have been stripped out or condensed. Pippin? Who?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Btw guys, there is no Bonfire of Dreams sequence either. That's understandably causing quite a stir on the Japanese forums.

H

hellrasinbrasin

With the way that 10 volumes of material has been condensed into 3 films each with 60 minutes of perfunctory scene showing I don't expect we'll see the other arcs being shown or done differently at all. I can't even imagine how much of a slaughter fest The Black Swordsman , The Retribution , and Millennium Falcon arc(s) would manifest as if Studio4°C is allowed to continue forward with the rest of the story.

hellrasinbrasin said:
With the way that 10 volumes of material has been condensed into 3 films each with 60 minutes of perfunctory scene showing I don't expect we'll see the other arcs being shown or done differently at all. I can't even imagine how much of a slaughter fest The Black Swordsman , The Retribution , and Millennium Falcon arc(s) would manifest as if Studio4°C is allowed to continue forward with the rest of the story.

It is all about the profit and if the studio don't earn good returns from the movies we want see any further slaughtering of the story unless they have already began working on other arcs.

Roderick said:

One of the few upsides to these is that there is no actual censorship like the TV series had to do.

At this rate Silat will have one line of dialogue and never fight Guts at all, Skullknight won't fight Zodd, instead Zodd will just watch from the distance while Skully rushes in. And I wouldn't be surprised if Skully saving Rickert won't make it in, either.

And Wyald? He won't even appear, I bet. And if he does, he'll die quicker than the female apostle Guts kills within the very first volume of the manga. Like, as as soon as he appears, Zodd will annihilate the poor bastard in two seconds flat. Same goes for the Bakiraka assassins, before all this, bet they're nowhere to be seen. So much will be cut in the third movie that it isn't even funny.

Aazealh said:
Another guy who knows the manga so well he doesn't mind the missing parts. Nor notices them.

I've been sick the past few days so I had some time to reread some of the Manga (1-11). This made me a little more bothered by the First movie than I originally suggested. Some really stupid stuff was done.

A lot of important stuff was left out, as we all know, but there was also lots of things that were changed or f'ed up.

A quick list of the changes / f ups I noticed (would take too long to list stuff left out):

-Flashback (retarded and pointless)
-Casca tripping over a rock in her battle vs. Guts (instead of Guts just powering her to the ground as she blocks his attack)
-Guts jumping into water after the assassination instead of into a sewer.
-Guts' sword during the assassination battle on the roof (the battle itself is one thing, the fact that his sword is of normal size is another)
-Stonehenge scene
-Zodd never really directly hitting Guts (more like Zodd hitting the pillars and Guts being deflected)
-Zodd's arm not being severed

Some of these changes make no sense to me? Why make Casca trip over a rock? They are changing Miura's story and his point of illustrating Guts strength.

Well I think that Wyald might appear, because they are mostly cutting character development and leaving just action scenes. Also I am usually one of those mindless fans who'll appreciate anything that's Berserk, but damn, this adaptation is really bad. I hope they'll stop it after third movie.

Walter said:
Well, the biggest travesty to me for the Eclipse will be that the sacrifice itself will hardly be meaningful at all, given that most of the significant character interactions have been stripped out or condensed. Pippin? Who?

Wow, just caught up reading all the comments about the 2nd movie. I don't really even want to see it now.

Pippin who? So sad. Especially after just reading the Bakiraka and Wyald volumes...Pippin plays a key role, and actually speaks more than at any other time during that sequence. The first movie was the same, I guess Judeau had a quick dialogue sequence and that was it..

I was hoping that more character development would come in the second movie...guess that was too much to ask for. Berserk isn't only about action....Miura's created some awesome characters, ones you care about and get pissed off at when they die.

As someone posted, and RPG completely faithful to Berserk would be pretty awesome!! Not sure if it's popular enough to get picked up by a decent developer though.

Top Bottom