Berserk Saga Project News

H

hellrasinbrasin

Aazealh said:
The word of law is the manga. Period.

You're right Aazealth when no adaptation seems to get the source material right the only fallback point in any series will always be the books. Despite the faults the 97 series had and it had a few the Studio 4c films will never have the depth that the show brought to it despite its flaws. And I think that's all I'm gonna say in regards to comparisons between the 2 adaptations for the time being.

---

In a related subject who's actually going to Comic-Con Int in July to give the head of Studio 4c their humble opinion of their Berserk films.

hellrasinbrasin said:
In a related subject who's actually going to Comic-Con Int in July to give the head of Studio 4c their humble opinion of their Berserk films.

You have no idea how much I would love to do this.

I've know for a few years on of the "That guy with the glasses" reviews, Benzaie, is a HUGE Berserk fan. He posted a pretty short video review. I've kept up with Benzaie for a while now, so I'm always up for hearing what he has to say:

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/bt/benzaie/specials/35556-berserk-golden-age-review

Seems although he loved seeing it, he couldn't deny the need for more character/plot development. He's hoping that the next films pick up some of that slack. I'm not holding my breath personally.

Aazealh said:
That's a pretty stupid line of thought. If they wanted to do the Millennium Falcon arc, they would have done it in the first place instead of releasing an inferior, truncated rehash of the Golden Age arc.

Let me put it another way; the producers may have followed and liked the manga (thus wanting to make a film adaption) but got impatient once they went back to the early volumes and realized (coming fresh out of the Millennium Falcon) that "oh yeah, the early volumes were like this huh," and simply decided to cut anything that they deemed non-relevant to the contemporary Berserk arc. I mean, that's stupid, but that's the impression I'm left with. A lot of people think the first Black Swordsman volumes have a somewhat different flavor from the rest of the story/manga, so it wouldn't surprise me if STUDIO 4C felt the same and skipped it all together, yeah, like you said.

They weren't ever planning on doing those first volumes, they cut it out because they thought it was expendable (like the scenes they're cutting from the Golden Age) not because they wanted to do it chronologically. Though maybe they will adapt some of it now that Miura expressed a wish that they'd do so. I'm not holding my breath though.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
A.C said:
Let me put it another way; the producers may have followed and liked the manga (thus wanting to make a film adaption) but got impatient once they went back to the early volumes and realized (coming fresh out of the Millennium Falcon) that "oh yeah, the early volumes were like this huh," and simply decided to cut anything that they deemed non-relevant to the contemporary Berserk arc. I mean, that's stupid, but that's the impression I'm left with.

That's not how things work. It's not like these guys were in love with Berserk and it prompted them to adapt it. They wanted to make money and Berserk felt like a good candidate for money-making, that's all. There's no rhyme or reason to what you're saying here. Aside from their lack of talent, the main reason they're butchering the story is because it isn't fit for a theatrical release. And guess what? Neither is the Millennium Falcon arc. If they made it tomorrow it'd be just as badly mangled as the Golden Age arc is. But at this rate anyway I wouldn't bet on that part of the story being adapted anytime soon.

A.C said:
A lot of people think the first Black Swordsman volumes have a somewhat different flavor from the rest of the story/manga

I don't know who these people are, but I don't like them already.

Just for kicks... here are 2 Berserk reviews for the second movie.

Kotaku: http://kotaku.com/5922239/the-second-berserk-movie-is-better-than-the-first
Japan Cinema: http://japancinema.net/2012/06/25/berserk-golden-age-arc-ii-the-battle-for-doldrey-review/

That Kotaku review is written by the same guy who wrote the first one, which if any of you read, was a pretty dumb review, lol.

Walter said:
I'm glad that some people (one person?) are finding some enjoyment out of the new movie. I don't want to see Miura upset by a failure at the box office for an adaptation of his life's work. But as a discerning fan, I can't approve of what I'm hearing about it. It's progressively becoming less and less recognizable as Berserk. People dig fantasy and medieval stories, sure. I can get behind that. But that's merely the backdrop of what makes Berserk special. And that's not being conveyed in this movie, by the look of it.

A fair statement. I definitely see your point.

Death May Die said:

WOW thanks Death May Die, I think this may be the best review for Egg of the King that I have seen yet. I'm glad someone put out a far reaching review that covers at least 95% of the gripes I myself had with the first movie.

[quote author=DirectDK]

Japan Cinema: http://japancinema.net/2012/06/25/berserk-golden-age-arc-ii-the-battle-for-doldrey-review/

[/quote]

I have one major problem with their review, referring to Griffith: "Arc II of this Golden Age explores that fact he has romantic feelings for Guts, even reaching a jealous Casca’s suspicions."

Since when was that ever a fact? Is this just a projection of this reviewer's opinion about the scenes in the movie, or have studio 4c taken actual liberties to factualize that statement?

DirectDK said:
Just for kicks... here are 2 Berserk reviews for the second movie.

Kotaku: http://kotaku.com/5922239/the-second-berserk-movie-is-better-than-the-first

Hoo boy, this fanboy "critic" again. I don't even know where to begin with this joker :ganishka:
But I'll let this particularly egregious and self-contradicting part of his "review" speak for itself

As with The Egg of the King this film is a faithful adaptation of the Berserk manga. Unlike in the previous film, however, the abridgment helps the story instead of hindering it.

Just to let it sink in - yes, this trilogy is indeed expurgated and hacked to oblivion, but it's still a "faithful adaptation of the Berserk manga." And apparently, with the second film, Studio 4°C(heap) managed to butcher it and CG'fy it in such a delightfully artistic way that it actually makes the story even better and more enjoyable. And what about the Queen, Foss, Owen and Raban? And the character interaction and development? Bah, who needs those silly things when our friends at Studio 4°C(heap) are at helm :schierke:

DirectDK said:
That Kotaku review is written by the same guy who wrote the first one, which if any of you read, was a pretty dumb review, lol.

You won't say, man :void:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DirectDK said:

To think these guys are probably paid to write this bullshit.

Jaze1618 said:
Since when was that ever a fact?

Never.

DirectDK said:

Ok, I sort of defended the first review, but this is a real doozy

Also the fact that we, the audience, know so little about the inner workings of Griffith in the movie makes this scene so much more unsettling

Ah, so that's why the Griffith/Casca flashback and the court intrigue were cut.

While it doesn't end suddenly like the last film, it does drag on a bit, passing the obvious cliffhanger and several other logical conclusion points until finally choosing one.
Perhaps because what comes next is a flash forward of roughly one year?

In this second film, 3D models are used almost exclusively on people whose faces are covered—or when the action is at such a high speed, no one would notice anyway.
The trailers and teasers alone expose some fallacies in this statement w/ Adon in particular having a fair share of close-ups. Though I agree that sort of modelling/cel-shading is best reserved for distant background action, not foreground.

(in regards to the cameos) It's a kind of twisted nostalgia to remember just how bad it's going to get and how much better these people's lives were before meeting Guts.
...Right. Puck was in captivity, Farnese was a self flagellating leader of the Holy Iron Chain Knights obsessed with burning heretics w/ Serpico as her companion and swordarm and Isidro as a wandering street urchin. Certainly the best years of their lives before meeting Guts.

Still, by the end of the film, it's enough to make you wonder if sex is ever a consensual, pleasurable experience in the world of Berserk.

no comment.

H

hellrasinbrasin

Since I haven't seen it posted yet here we go...

The second film in the Berserk film trilogy, Berserk Ōgon Jidai-Hen II: Doldrey Kōryaku (Berserk: The Golden Age Arc II - The Doldrey War), opened at No. 9. Studio 4°C's anime film trilogy adapts Kentarou Miura's Berserk manga. The film focuses on Guts (Hiroaki Iwanaga) and The Band of the Hawk's epic battle alongside the Kingdom of Midland to retake Doldrey Castle from the Chuder Empire. The film ranked at No. 8 on Box Office Mojo's chart and earned US$355,767 on 93 screens.

Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-07-02/japanese-box-office-june-23-24

I'm surprised nobody has asked this yet, or did I miss it, but did they remove the scene with those soldiers trying to rape Caska while Guts is having his 100 man battle? When Judo and others come to save her

There can potentially be a lot of things that didn't make the movie adaptation. How is one to zero-in on that particular scene, SuperVegetto? Not sure why you're surprised but if you have information, feel free to share.

IncantatioN said:
There can potentially be a lot of things that didn't make the movie adaptation. How is one to zero-in on that particular scene, SuperVegetto? Not sure why you're surprised but if you have information, feel free to share.

I don't have info, I was just asking

SuperVegetto said:
I'm surprised nobody has asked this yet, or did I miss it, but did they remove the scene with those soldiers trying to rape Casca while Guts is having his 100 man battle? When Judo and others come to save her

That scene IS indeed in the movie. :casca:

I'm most interested now in what Clara posted more than a week something about Sign and Aria lyrics, some kind of competition I think? Anybody knows what it's all about?

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I think I said this to Aaz the other day, but at this point, I am going to assume that they're going to cut EVERYTHING related to Berserk out of these movies. That way I'll be really surprised when I see something from the manga. I'm tired of these movies breaking my heart :judo:

I don't know if this was posted before but here's an interview with Susumu Hirasawa about [Aria]

“Creating the music for “Berserk” is similar to the sensation of unlocking one of the restraints I’ve built up within myself.”
To original author Kentaro Miura and fans of the series alike, Susumu Hirasawa plays an essential role as the musician who performs the music for the world of “Berserk”. It is he who wrote “Aria”, the theme song for the Golden Age Arc movies. A solo with a rich melody worthy of crowning the beginning of the Berserk Saga, it embodies a spectacle interwoven by the early impulses of youth and fate.

“The fundamental themes have not changed in the slightest.”
——Tell us about when you received the offer for this work.
To be honest, I’d heard rumors before I received an offer — that “Berserk” was going to be animated again, and that apparently it was going to be a very large-scale project. However, since the flow was supposedly going to differ from the television series and game versions that I’ve participated in thus far, I wondered if I might not receive an offer this time. Then Miura-sensei, the director Toshiyuki Kubooka, and other members of the staff came to my live performance. It wasn’t especially formal — Miura-sensei said, “We’ve finally decided to do it, so…”, and I replied, “Ah, that’s right”. In that way, through a very natural course of events, I accepted the offer.
——What kind of song did they request you make?
Luckily, Miura-sensei is a fan of my music and listens to it while he works. It seems only logical that I would receive an offer in light of this background, and I’ve actually almost never had a specific song request from him because of that. Once again both Sensei and the director said, “It would be best if you did it as you normally would”. There was one thing, however — since the Golden Age Arc depicts the characters in their youth, I was asked to create something in that kind of youthful image, and so I incorporated that nuance in my own style.
——What served as the source of inspiration for the song?
I requested that the director give me a single piece of material to serve as a visual reference, and so he sent me a still of the scene where Griffith receives the Behelit from the fortune-teller. From this one scene I was able to expand on the world’s atmosphere. In my experience, the more and greater variety of material I receive, such as continuities and scenarios and so on, the less I come to understand it, and consequently I decided to ask for only one thing. For example, even if what I imagined from this still went in a different direction from what the director intended, in that case I think it highly likely that it would have a favorable influence on the scope of the work.
——Is there anything you’ve become aware of with the movie?
The fundamental themes, from the time when I first had my chance to become involved in the world of “Berserk” by working on the TV series, have not changed in the slightest. Of course this is a movie, and I built up the sound production on a sense of scale that would suit that environment, but since the essential elements in pursuing this sense of scale have themselves in recent years been close to the direction of my own work, I was able to arrive at this song without changing my own style.

“Relative concepts exist undifferentiated.”
——How did you proceed to compose the song?
I completed the composition itself over the course of about two short, intensive weeks. Then I started recording it. In August of 2011, in order to commemorate exceeding 50,000 followers on Twitter, I planned to broadcast scenes of me working via Ustream, but included among them are scenes of me making this song. Although I broadcast the recording of the actual vocals as something separate, one of the fans worked it out by taking the Ustream video and the sound source used in the movie trailer and putting them together. Amazing.
——How did you make the lyrics that you sing so dramatically?
They’re “Hirasawa-ese” (Hirasawa-go), so to speak. While inspired by the language and such used in the world of “Berserk”, I wrote them like a spell, constructing it so that the echo of the words carries a single view of its world. If I were to write the lyrics in a specific language, then that would instantly limit the way you understand the world. In that case, there’s a chance I might disrupt the images carried by individual viewers. Of course there are ways to force a specific image upon them, but I myself feel that the fun of it lies precisely in what’s born from that lack of restrictions.
——What do you feel is the appeal of “Berserk”?
I think the appeal of “Berserk” all comes down to the fact that relative concepts like light and darkness, beauty and ugliness, good and evil and so on exist undifferentiated. I myself deeply sympathize with that state of things. It’s not unusual for creators to do things like censor themselves during the writing process in accordance with the context of the story and so on, but for the most part I don’t feel that “Berserk” has such limitations. Rather, I feel only freedom. Consequently, for me, creating the music for “Berserk” is similar to the sensation of unlocking one of the restraints I’ve built up within myself. Once unlocked, and the censoring part of me removed, the music becomes “Berserk”.

from http://hirasawalyrics.tumblr.com/post/25712429750/susumu-hirasawa-aria-interview

I skimmed through these posts because I didn't check the thread for a long time - I totally lost interest in this trilogy after seeing the first movie, and I didn't expect that this whole thing can get even worse. I feel sorry for Miura.

I will only watch them because it seems that finally Silat and others will be animated, but to be honest, it feels bad that these awesome characters are included in this fucked-up world of Berserk-ruins.

:judo:

I've been so optimistic about this whole project, it feels like a betrayal...

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Good news for people in Montreal. The first movie will be playing at the Fantasia festival

here's the link:

http://www.fantasiafestival.com/2012/fr/films-et-horaire/282/berserk-golden-age-arc-i-the-egg-of-the-king

now I'll be able to vote in the other thread! :carcus:

Ps: the movie is playing in a room that can fill 700 hundred people at approx. and they tend to get half full to sold out most of the time. Animation is big at this festival. Hopefully a lot of people with come to see it.

H

hellrasinbrasin

Here's a pic of a pair of fellow Berserk fans that were in the line a head of me.

480475_502869933063028_726125273_n.jpg

Top Bottom