Author Topic: Berserk Saga Project News  (Read 784018 times)

Offline IncantatioN

• Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
Re: Berserk Saga Project News
« Reply #2475 on: November 21, 2012, 08:00:41 PM »
It's a bit pointless talking about the removal of a character or an important moment or dialog at this point. We know time is limited in the adaptation for the format it's released in and it's being made, whether we like it or not. The 97 anime series suffered a similar fate. My point is - (i) it's a given that they will take parts of the story out, and (ii) anything that deviates from or is less than what is depicted in the manga will be insufficient to the story of Berserk. Taking out any 1 key moment will trigger the latter notion. I know it's good to be hopeful and optimistic but let's try to be realistic at the same time and it's something really out of our control. It'd be awesome if the studio hired the Admins for the making of the films.
At the end of time, a moment will come when just one man remains. Then the moment will pass. Man will be gone. There will be nothing to show that we were ever here... but stardust.

Offline MrWeatherby

• Of the Interstice
  • What's up, ketchup?
« Reply #2476 on: November 21, 2012, 08:44:29 PM »

Liking the character or not isn't the issue here. Don't try and use that to make yourself look rational and reasonable when in reality you have no arguments.

Laughable. Guts breaks his sword during the escape against soldiers, Griffith finally snaps when he realizes he was his own undoing by the words Guts overheard, Skullknight cryptically mentions the Eclipse, and how the Egg of the King functions is well enough inferred by Griffith's failed suicide and mental collapse.

There, I just took care of everything Wyald did for the story.
You got a lot of guitars

but you don't play guitar.

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #2477 on: November 21, 2012, 08:56:19 PM »
Guts breaks his sword during the escape against soldiers, Griffith finally snaps when he realizes he was his own undoing by the words Guts overheard, Skullknight cryptically mentions the Eclipse, and how the Egg of the King functions is well enough inferred by Griffith's failed suicide and mental collapse.

Laughable is the word, yes. You "took care" of nothing. Everything can done away with when you approach it this mindlessly. But as exemplified by the first two movies, the result then sucks. Just like the escape scene in the TV series sucked. I guess that's not a problem for you, but unfortunately it is for some other people. I sure as hell wouldn't want to read your version of Berserk.

Offline MrWeatherby

• Of the Interstice
  • What's up, ketchup?
« Reply #2478 on: November 21, 2012, 09:21:29 PM »
Laughable is the word, yes. You "took care" of nothing. Everything can done away with when you approach it this mindlessly. But as exemplified by the first two movies, the result then sucks. Just like the escape scene in the TV series sucked. I guess that's not a problem for you, but unfortunately it is for some other people.

Be aware that the narrative structure of a comic and that of a film are two totally different things, and that when the pre-production process starts for an adaptation the value of "important" plot elements begins to be reassigned. This is to say nothing of the time in which you have to build worlds in either.

I sure as hell wouldn't want to read your version of Berserk.

You would literally read the same comic because not once did I say anything about altering the books themselves.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 09:38:37 PM by MrWeatherby »
You got a lot of guitars

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #2479 on: November 21, 2012, 10:30:48 PM »
Be aware that the narrative structure of a comic and that of a film are two totally different things, and that when the pre-production process starts for an adaptation the value of "important" plot elements begins to be reassigned.

You don't say?! :schierke: Yes, thank you very much I am aware of this, as I have told the legion of armchair filmmaking experts who've reiterated ad nauseam in this thread, for most before they even saw a trailer, that any and every change made to the story would be 100% appropriate and absolutely necessary because of the differences between the media. However, as it was made glaringly obvious by the first two movies, the removal of many story elements and cutting down of the remaining ones to bare bones did not help the pacing. And removing even more stuff wouldn't have helped either, because that's not where the problem lies.

Aside from that, I fully understand that there are time constraints, but if anything the production is to blame for not having had any foresight when they planned the adaptation. Going from a single movie to a trilogy and even then still not realizing until they were halfway through that they'd bit way more than they could chew? Is that professional? I made my stance clear from the very beginning on the format they'd chosen (that it would be a mess) and so far I believe I was unfortunately correct. We'll see if third time's the charm, but I remain dubious, as I've said on the latest podcast.

In conclusion, I'm not saying a movie without Wyald will inevitably be terrible, but that I honestly believe it will be lessened by his omission (not just the character himself but everything in that part of the story), just like the other movies were lessened by other omissions. Especially if they end up replacing his segment with a nondescript one that turns out to be half as long as the real thing would have been anyway. Can't wait to see Guts break his sword on some random guy's shield. What a badass.

You would literally read the same comic because not once did I say anything about altering the books themselves.

You didn't say so, but your line of argumentation about how little Wyald did for the story ("nothing about him was really essential"), how easily that segment's exclusion could be palliated and how those wishing for it to be featured are only motivated by their love of the character seem to go beyond the scope of the movie adaptation.

Offline MrWeatherby

• Of the Interstice
  • What's up, ketchup?
« Reply #2480 on: November 21, 2012, 11:59:01 PM »
as I have told the legion of armchair filmmaking experts who've reiterated ad nauseam in this thread

Oh Aazealh, I love it when you talk ad hominem to me.

You didn't say so, but your line of argumentation about how little Wyald did for the story

Yep. So it's perfectly reasonable to make an exaggerated assumption that given the core material I would strike Wyald from the record. Perfectly normal, perfectly reasonable.

edit: this is also pretty pointless, much like all arguments where neither side gives an inch. So whatever, you can think whatever you want about my opinion and me for that matter, but I'm not going to exhaust myself on an argument to nowhere.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 12:10:40 AM by MrWeatherby »
You got a lot of guitars

Offline Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #2481 on: November 22, 2012, 12:57:20 AM »
Be aware that the narrative structure of a comic and that of a film are two totally different things
Please be aware that we have all heard this crap over the past 2 years from people trying to validate changes made in the adaptation process. But I wouldn't wish anyone to read through all 100 pages of it. That being said, I think you picked a pretty poor example in trying to justify Wyald as a "good" exclusion.

Laughable. Guts breaks his sword during the escape against soldiers, Griffith finally snaps when he realizes he was his own undoing by the words Guts overheard, Skullknight cryptically mentions the Eclipse, and how the Egg of the King functions is well enough inferred by Griffith's failed suicide and mental collapse.

Well, at least you tried to cover your bases, but you're still minimizing what Volume 11 brings to the table. It's the first time Guts sees the vortex of souls, and also introduces us to the notion that apostles return to human after they are killed.

But to me, Wyald's importance is more than just these. The battle against him demonstrates just how far Guts has come as a human, while also setting the stage for the Eclipse. Taking down Wyald took everything Guts had, and that was just one apostle. How about when a horde of apostles arrive?

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #2482 on: November 22, 2012, 08:44:50 AM »
Oh Aazealh, I love it when you talk ad hominem to me.

You realize that I wasn't referring to you in that particular sentence?

Yep. So it's perfectly reasonable to make an exaggerated assumption that given the core material I would strike Wyald from the record. Perfectly normal, perfectly reasonable.

It's hardly exaggerated. And maybe you should have worded your opinion more carefully if you didn't want people to come to that conclusion.

Offline SuperVegetto

« Reply #2483 on: November 22, 2012, 02:03:01 PM »
Third movie opening shows eclipse scenes now

Offline jackalj

« Reply #2484 on: November 22, 2012, 03:59:34 PM »
Third movie opening shows eclipse scenes now

Anyone recorded the show?

Offline SuperVegetto

« Reply #2485 on: November 22, 2012, 04:13:15 PM »
Anyone recorded the show?

No but got some low quality movie 2 pics. Also do yourself a favor and do not watch that broadcast no matter what if you're a fan of the epic song that is Aria.
Some submissions had it singing it in baby voice
Some had it with ridiculous drawings that although some were funny, Aria is not a song for funny drawings! Seriously!
And the worst was some American/European woman who sang Aria while doing a thai dance and although her lyrics seemed good to me Aria being sung in that voice was just ehh... need to erase it from memory asap

Here are the pics, resolution is bad but that's all I could get

Offline JezzaX

« Reply #2486 on: November 22, 2012, 06:03:16 PM »
Is there a link for the show?

Offline SuperVegetto

« Reply #2487 on: November 22, 2012, 06:34:47 PM »
Is there a link for the show?

No it's over, don't think it can be watched again

Offline Edi

• Of the World
  • Sorry for my bad English...
« Reply #2488 on: November 22, 2012, 07:49:12 PM »
No it's over, don't think it can be watched again
I can watch again. :)
"This program can be viewed on timeshift.
usage period ends: 2012/11/24(SAT) 06:33:28"

Here you have a new scene from the second movie: http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv110300877#2:38:33 Charlotte+Griffith(boob grabbing  :carcus:)

Offline JezzaX

« Reply #2489 on: November 23, 2012, 03:01:18 AM »
I can watch again. :)
"This program can be viewed on timeshift.
usage period ends: 2012/11/24(SAT) 06:33:28"

Here you have a new scene from the second movie: http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv110300877#2:38:33 Charlotte+Griffith(boob grabbing  :carcus:)

I'm not able to see anything, the video isn't on the page  :???:

Offline Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #2490 on: November 23, 2012, 04:06:34 AM »
I'm not able to see anything, the video isn't on the page  :???:
You have to have an account.

Offline ApostleBob

• Inhuman Cinephile
  • Falconian
  • Of the Nexus
« Reply #2491 on: November 23, 2012, 04:35:36 AM »
I don't suppose anyone with a premium account can grab the clips...

Offline JackQ

« Reply #2492 on: November 23, 2012, 07:48:25 AM »
the blueray for the second movie is coming in a few days now,hopefully they extended it bit,I don't except the queen to be coming back though   :judo:

Offline Johnny Apples

• Of the Interstice
« Reply #2493 on: November 24, 2012, 04:31:10 AM »
With Wyald and his Black Hounds gone, will it be safe to assume that Studio 4C will simply give some of his lines to Silat and make him be the one giving the Hawks the demoralizing bad news about Griffith's physical condition?   

Offline Jaze1618

« Reply #2494 on: November 24, 2012, 04:48:49 AM »
Hmm' I really hope not. Although I suppose that instead of Guts fighting Silat 2x before the rescue, they skip their first encounter at the arms tournament in favor of having Silat pursue the hawks with the rest of the Bakiraka. But I hope not.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 08:08:48 PM by Jaze1618 »

Offline Edi

• Of the World
  • Sorry for my bad English...
« Reply #2495 on: November 24, 2012, 11:04:13 AM »

Offline Lukis

« Reply #2496 on: November 24, 2012, 11:44:27 AM »
As usually video ended at best part damn ... kinda hated how charlotte was overreacting  :troll:

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #2497 on: November 24, 2012, 11:50:32 AM »
kinda hated how charlotte was overreacting  :troll:

It's their recipe for success: exaggerate everything at all times.

Offline pirkaf 2000

« Reply #2498 on: November 24, 2012, 11:58:43 AM »
LOL at Charlotte, pure comedy :griffnotevil:

Offline Johnny Apples

• Of the Interstice
« Reply #2499 on: November 24, 2012, 03:13:37 PM »
Hmm' I really hope not. although I suppose that Guts  fighting Silat 2x before the rescue, they skip their first encounter at the arms tournament in favor of having Silat pursue the hawks with the rest of the Bakiraka. But I hope not.

Yeah, I just can't imagine Silat pulling up Griffith's mutilated and emaciated body in front of the Hawks, and proceeding to describe to them with a sadistic glee every trauma that he had endured during his year-long stay at the Tower of Rebirth. That would be so unlike Silat in any way imaginable. Then again, since Studio 4C were able to re-make Guts into a ballroom dancer, then certainly, re-making Silat into something very different than what he was in the manga would be an easy matter   :sad: :void: