Berserk Saga Project News

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
JezzaX said:
So, the US version of Egg of the King was released today, has anyone picked it up to see what the dub is like or if there's anything of interest on the disc?

I sure hope they will correct the mistakes they made in the subtitles. The version I saw this summer had some mistakes like :"Prince Charlotte" ...

Death May Die said:
Just got my copy.

Sadly:

Special Features: Production Art Gallery

...and that's it.

Going to watching it with my brother here in a little bit. For better or worst. :schierke:

What a missed opportunity. I'm wondering if it's even worth getting for the UK release.

Ugh. This movie.

Only for various short moments was I captivated by the movies animation. It can really look good. To me at least, I didn't feel it ever looked absolutely horrible. So thankfully it wasn't the animation that ruined it for me, nor take me completely out of the movie. The 2D is most consistent in style. But almost NEVER do the 3D models and 2D models look the same. I hope they had improved on that in the further coming movies.

The English Dubs, I like but the dialog that was chosen was horrible. It doesn't matter how good you sound when what your saying is out of context. I'm sure its the same way in the original Japaneses VO. On top of that they altered a lot of scenes, most which have been mentioned by others. The one that stood out to me was guts waking up next to Casca and how it progressed. Not that it was bad, but why did they alter it. Really, I asked myself that a lot in this movie. Why?

I'm glad to say watching Guts hack through people is still highly entertaining in itself to me. But the story has been trimmed to a degree of bare bones, that it confused my brother, and myself. We scratched our heads more than once when it come to what they felt they needed to keep and needed to cut. The movie is simply WAY too fast, and has lost a lot of the story luster that made it great. I do realize everyone knows all of this already. I was just looking forwarded to reviewing it.

My personal Score for the movie.
6/10

I did like Casca, even though she felt like a by-stander character. They altered

I just watched the english dub too. Apparently its been available quite a while. Anyway I was pretty much going to say the same thing, sounds good but theres a lot of moments where the dialogue is almost facepalm provoking.

I don't know if its a given for the rest of you as well but the jap dub is of course superior, which I watched when it got released... So thats about it as far as fresh feedback goes. So there's more stuff but then this post could get long and over analyzing.. Which I guess you guys already have covered.

I watched the English dub, you can really hear the old VA's. Especially Guts sound pretty much the same.

And Griffith... Well he sounds really weird in some scenes.
And I agree with DMD, they alter alot of dialog. Ofcourse you have to to make the dialog sync with the animation. But there is some really weird dialog now.

Edi said:
http://youtu.be/uwkHLkrV5Hk

...ookaay. I understand that Charolette is experiencing her first erotic experience, but if this is how she reacts to Griffith touching her breast over her clothes, I'm morbidly curious how the rest will play out.

Yeah, the manga scene is too in some respects but given that we have almost a full minute of breast foreplay, I wonder how much pulp will be added to the ensuing sex scene.

Walter said:
Well, if you saw it illegally previously then it'd be in your best interest, and Miura's, to purchase it.

I bought the Japanese first press Blu Ray and I'm doing the same for the second film, I'm not dismissing my favourite series by pirating, no matter how bad the interpretation may be.

JezzaX said:
I bought the Japanese first press Blu Ray and I'm doing the same for the second film, I'm not dismissing my favourite series by pirating, no matter how bad the interpretation may be.

This. Exactly this. I imported the Japanese movie day 1 and have the 2nd film on preorder. No matter how off their interpretation may be, I am still going to support this project. The series has a limited appeal to audiences, but that is what makes it special to me. These movies did not do well in theatres in Japan, and I'm hopefull support of the home market will help this project going till its conclusion. Most pop anime that everyone is familiar with I actually dislike. Its never going to meet our collective expectations, and sure its ridiculous at times, but its still fucking Berserk Gutts damnit! :guts:

On a more positive note, the US Facebook page for the series just posted this

Killer! BERSERK just landed its first merchandise partner! We'll be posting Official US merch for Berserk as soon as we can.

Hopefully this can lead to some nice Berserk merchandise in the US. It may also lead to some not so nice merchandise too, but that's not exactly a surprise at this point.

For what it's worth, that scene with Charlotte and the overacting to the Boob-Grabbing. I think I've got my moment of comedy out of this movie series now as underwhelmed as I am by it, that scene is comedy gold :ubik:

Skullgrin140 said:
For what it's worth, that scene with Charlotte and the overacting to the Boob-Grabbing. I think I've got my moment of comedy out of this movie series now as underwhelmed as I am by it, that scene is comedy gold :ubik:

Just wait until the English dubbed version of that scene. :ganishka:

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I'm watching the dub of the 1st movie on the Viz blu-ray right now. English Griffith sounds a bit different. I didn't like the original dub cast, but I felt I should give them another chance. It is kind of neat hearing these voices again. Again, I wish the Japanese cast reprised their roles.

One nitpicky thing I have about dub Griffith is the casual use of the word "friend." This happened in the original TV series, too. An example: "And now, my friend, decide. Surrender or I'll dislocate your blah blah blah..." It's a small detail but not. "Friend" is obviously an important word to Griffith, and nowhere in the Japanese dialogue does he ever call Guts "friend."

Oh well.

Gobolatula said:
One nitpicky thing I have about dub Griffith is the casual use of the word "friend." This happened in the original TV series, too. An example: "And now, my friend, decide. Surrender or I'll dislocate your blah blah blah..." It's a small detail but not. "Friend" is obviously an important word to Griffith, and nowhere in the Japanese dialogue does he ever call Guts "friend."

Agreed, but it's not that huge a deal for me. Griffith always was manipulative, so telling Guts what he wants to hear doesn't seem far fetched for him.

I also just saw the dub. I was really dreading it based on the trailer I'd seen, especially Zodd's new Grimlock voice. But surprisingly they did a pretty decent job of it. Most of it sounds pretty natural, without the verbal diarrhea they sometimes insert to match the moving lips. Occasionally Guts wold sound a bit too educated, and Zodd a bit too stiff, but for the most part it works. Even Zodd, who's voice rarely sounds the way it does in the trailer. I still think I prefer the original Zodd dub actor better though, he chewed the scenery better.

The weirdest part was Griffith. It sounds like the guy has taken up smoking or something. His voice sounds much deeper than I recall. Oh well, he has nice inflection.

I still have the same opinion on the film itself, mainly being serviceable but deeply flawed in some areas. Still looking forward to see what they do with the next two. And hey, part 2 is only a couple days away on Japanese Blu Ray!

I'm looking forward to finally getting to see this one. It's taken waaaay too long. Even though I enjoyed the first one, based on what people have been saying, I'm really worried about the second. It sounds like it has even more changes than the first, and changes that I won't be able to forgive as easily...

We shall see.

grr I wanna see the english dub for the first film but retailers in my area apparently have not received it yet for some reason after waiting this long its bloody infuriating oh well hopefully the second movie gets a sooner North American release

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
JezzaX said:
As much as I'm not too keen on what I've heard from the second film, my pre-order has shipped from CD Japan
Ahh dammit, mine didn't. Maybe because I literally just ordered it yesterday. Though I pay good money for my Japanese people to be super crazy fast with my Berserk blu-ray.

Top Bottom