Berserk Saga Project News

I guess the $64,000 question now is if any of the Bakiraka are still in this adaptation. By the looks of it, they'll all be replaced by a single "rematch" with Silat that might last a full minute.

Even expecting a worst case scenario with this movie, it's still very disappointing that more than an entire volume's worth of material is cut out to basically have a streamline theatrical version of the TV adaptation with the exception of the additions of Silat and Skullknight. I really hope this is the last one.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Roderick said:
I guess the $64,000 question is if any of the Bakiraka are still in this adaptation. By the looks of it, they'll all be replaced by a single "rematch" with Silat that might last a full minute.
I doubt the term "Bakiraka" is anywhere in this adaptation. Afterall, Silat is more like "Assassin Guy" here.

The whole thing about trying to create a dramatic and intense battle with the Hawks is very laughable since you practically dont know any of them, they're just empty action figures... And yeah Silat is also pretty laughable in this context, kinda reminds me of the Resident Evil live action films where they just throw in whatever they think looks cool with total disregard of logic and compatibleness, doesnt even work as eye candy since your brain will automatically be distracted trying to make sense of everything.

Seriously I think Wyald would have made more sense in this compressed state. At least he's an apostle and is thus somewhat more connected to the plot. This will probably just seem out of place.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Roderick said:
to basically have a streamline theatrical version of the TV adaptation

I think you're doing the TV adaptation a disservice. =)

I'm only half joking, if recreating the TV series was their aim, and it seems that way at times, they're falling sorely short of even that goal. Interesting fact I noticed doing the BERSERK: RECUT project, the TV series adapted episodes #001 Sword Wind to #038 The Endless Night Begins of the manga almost verbatim, panel by panel in many cases, even down the fucking wardrobe. As a matter of fact, the most significant changes were additions! Other than that and some annoying but minor tweaks for content and such, for 15 straight TV episodes, spanning volumes 5 through 9 of the manga, the crappy TV series basically contained a virtual 1:1 adaptation hidden in the middle of it! The very kind that so many chodes were clamoring was simply impossible before it even became clear how much the filmmakers weren't interested in any sort of faithful adaptation, but an expedient one.

So, given that it could be done at length even in an adaptation as limited as the TV series, it was actually quite reasonable to expect from a group claiming to be making a faithful adaptation, implying more faithful than past efforts, to, you know, actually do that, instead of putting virtually everything on the chopping block and butchering it indiscriminately. It's also not unreasonable for fans to be upset when such a put on is perpetrated on them, virtually ending all hope of a faithful, or essential, adaption of the series. So, on those grounds it upsets me, just as I'd expect it to upset any self-respecting Berserk fan, but of course, nobody has to be upset, about anything it seems. There's the school of thought that says we should just sit back, relax, and enjoy what we get, however underachieving it may be; and perhaps that's the correct course. After all, for an expedient adaptation, that's certainly the expedient response. :azan:

Edi said:
Definitely time to say goodbye to the hopes of seeing Wyald.

I'm a little surprised that Wyald didn't make the cut. Don't get me wrong though. I didn't think they cared enough about Berserk to try to be faithful. It's actually the opposite. The more I see of this studio's work the more they remind me of those Berserk readers who don't really understand the series and always complain because Berserk isn't constant fighting, one encounter right after another. They clearly don't care enough about Berserk to understand it. To them it's just sex and violence. Sex. Violence. And that scary filler Miura thinks up just to waste our time until we see more sex and violence. With that in mind, I'm surprised they didn't include Wyald because he's probably the shining example of sex and violence combined in Berserk. I'm surprised they passed him up when what his "scene" includes is the only thing they care about.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
And then include a blurry backstory of how he got to be the leader of the blackdogs while he's knocked down. :troll:
These movies for me are recaps of stuff in the manga, but they included only the stuff that seems faithful to them.

Griffith said:
I think you're doing the TV adaptation a disservice. =)

Oh, I get you there. I was more specifically referring to the volume 10-13 content, which appears for now to strangely have very similar omissions, especially regarding Griffith's rescue and escape. More noticeable since the episodes that covered those volumes skipped or altered the source material the most (aside from the Black Swordsman arc) and is content that many hoped would be restored in the new adaptation So far, it looks like the new improvements are the anime debuts of Silat and Skullknight along everything from the Skullknight rescue on to wherever the movie decides to end. Additional scenes surrounding Guts & Casca's lovemaking might also be an improvement if they don't screw it up. On the other hand, important scenes like Griffith's flashbacks and dream/fantasy sequences will likely not be as faithful as the TV anime's were if the first two are any indication.

The TV anime certainly does appear to look better in comparison since the TV series contains more faithfully adapted manga material than the film series has so far. On that level, the only thing the first two films have over it are more explicit sex scenes, the King of Midland whipping Griffith, a glimpse of Donovan, and the original torturer. Of course this is apparently at the expense of several of the in-depth character development, flashbacks, and plot elements. So far, it's a rather poor compromise.

Skeleton said:
I'm a little surprised that Wyald didn't make the cut. Don't get me wrong though. I didn't think they cared enough about Berserk to try to be faithful. It's actually the opposite. The more I see of this studio's work the more they remind me of those Berserk readers who don't really understand the series and always complain because Berserk isn't constant fighting, one encounter right after another.

I thought so for pretty much the same reasons. Those scenes, along with that of the Bakiraka, are pretty action-packed and fall in line pretty well with what the filmmakers seem more determined than anything to showcase in the film trilogy. That and the noticeably significant amount to female skin that made the cut in the second film (namely, the T&A), which the Wyald scenes have plenty of. Maybe the nude, decapitated female cadavers didn't appeal the the same crowd? For those reasons it sort of made sense why he didn't make it into the TV anime (censorship and all that) but the film is already rated R18 comes across more as apathy toward the source material.

Griffith will be the one to injure Guts' eye.
Called it first

Oh and Griffith coffee

167517977_624.v1359623439.jpg

Roderick said:
Additional scenes surrounding Guts & Casca's lovemaking might also be an improvement if they don't screw it up.
Oh I do think they will add some additional scenes. Guts can't stand Griffith looking down on him after all. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Some notes on the film from an early viewing of Movie III was recently posted on 2ch: http://kohada.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/animovie/1358866748/2
I spent some time trying to ensure accuracy of the translation, but since it's mostly haltingly written Japanese, I can only be sure of the barest essence of the wording. The guy could also be making it up (2ch is an anonymous user board). So don't hold me to it, please. I welcome additional translation attempts.

Cuts:
-Guts' 1 year of traveling, tournament
-The apostle attack on Rickert and the remaining Falcons
-Wyald and the Black Dog Knights
-Guts strangling Casca, reflecting on Gambino/Donovan/his past
-Judo's last words "Reduction of Judo's last monologue, cut lines" :judo:
-Gaston's last words (he's just shown as having died earlier)
-He mentions the child of Guts and Casca, but I can't tell if he's saying it IS or is NOT in the movie...
-Guts and Casca's lovers spat the morning of the rescue
-Griffith's delusional alternate future, where he's with Casca with a kid named Guts and a dog named Pippin
-Griffith's God Hand conversation sequence doesn't include the child who died, because of course he was cut from Movie II.

Notes on Viewing:
-Guts and Casca's love scene surprisingly well done, "Scene is beautiful and realistic. I was surprised." However, it is cut short.
-Griffith's rescue sequence ends shortly after the escape from the tower. (called it :void:)
-Desperation not conveyed well in scene of Falcons realizing Griffith's condition
-Eclipse is conveyed much the same as in the TV series
-There is piano music during Casca's rape scene that was a bit much (unsure of this line).
-Neither Guts' rage nor anger felt as well as in the manga or TV adaptation
-Ends with Guts donning his Black Swordsman armor, a final monologue, but unclear what direction is next
-Thought it overall wasn't very good, and felt underwhelmed even though all they expected was for eclipse to be properly executed. Thought expectations were unduly raised by trailer.

Walter said:
Some notes on the film from an early viewing of Movie III was recently posted on 2ch: http://kohada.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/animovie/1358866748/2
I spent some time trying to ensure accuracy of the translation, but since it's mostly haltingly written Japanese, I can only be sure of the barest essence of the wording. The guy could also be making it up (2ch is an anonymous user board). So don't hold me to it, please. I welcome additional translation attempts.

Cuts:
-Guts' 1 year of traveling, tournament
-The apostle attack on Rickert and the remaining Falcons
-Wyald and the Black Dog Knights
-Guts strangling Casca, reflecting on Gambino/Donovan/his past
-Judo's last words :judo:
-Gaston's last words (he's just shown as having died earlier)

-He mentions the child of Guts and Casca, but I can't tell if he's saying it IS or is NOT in the movie...
-Guts and Casca's lovers spat the morning of the rescue
-Griffith's delusional alternate future, where he's with Casca with a kid named Guts and a dog named Pippin
-Griffith's God Hand conversation sequence doesn't include the child who died, because of course he was cut from Movie II.

Notes on Viewing:
-Guts and Casca's love scene surprisingly well done, "Scene is beautiful and realistic. I was surprised." However, it is cut short.
-Griffith's rescue sequence ends shortly after the escape from the tower. (called it :void:)
-Desperation not conveyed well in scene of Falcons realizing Griffith's condition
-Eclipse is conveyed much the same as in the TV series
-There is piano music during Casca's rape scene that was a bit much (unsure of this line).
-Neither Guts' rage nor anger felt as well as in the manga or TV adaptation
-Ends with Guts donning his Black Swordsman armor, a final monologue, but unclear what direction is next
-Thought it overall wasn't very good, and felt underwhelmed even though all they expected was for eclipse to be properly executed. Thought expectations were unduly raised by trailer.

images

What the hell was the point? Omfg

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:

That sounds about right, based on what we've seen of the film so far. Hopefully, this is the end of the Berserk Saga Project, or they somehow make a massive improvement when animating the Black Swordsman arc (based on the first three films, I wouldn't count on it).

I hope they at least played Aria when Guts sets out after wearing his black armor (99% sure they didn't though, they are incapable of good ideas). That would be something to look forward seeing. Everything else sounds so butchered.

I sense some symbolism here.

Picture the Eclipse.

We, the fanbase, are Guts.

This project is Femto.

Berserk is Casca.

And yeah...I pretty much feel like Guts right now. And you know what? I think its time for some Retribution arc! :mozgus:

Walter said:
I updated the part about Judo. Some of his lines are cut, but he still gets a moment apparently.

It's still going to be bad due to him getting almost no character development at all.

Can anyone guess the worst anime studio ever? :troll:

Sammoniac

You taffers!
If I recall, they originaly planned to do only one movie of the Golden Age. Later, they realised it would not be possible to cover everything they wanted to cover in one movie, so they decided to do a trilogy. This trilogy project was doomed since day one, since all the decisions and main scenes of the three movies were probably done as soon as the first movie came out. So having hope for the second and third movies was rather pointless I guess, because the bad work was already done.

But now, the Lost Children arc MAY not suffer the same fate as the trilogies. With all the feedback they had since the beginning of this disaster, maybe they learned to be more careful about what they do (and say). I don't think that a lot of work is done for that part yet, they probably are waiting for some income from the trilogy. They'll probably want more money and success this time, so they MAY stick more to the manga for the following productions. Or they may not.... :femto:

I'm trying to be optimistic here, (once again). *sigh*

Roderick said:
On the other hand, important scenes like Griffith's flashbacks and dream/fantasy sequences will likely not be as faithful as the TV anime's were if the first two are any indication.
Walter said:
Cuts:
Oh, fancy that. :griffnotevil:

Walter said:
Notes on Viewing:

Man, it really does look like a remake of the last 5 TV episodes. I'm hoping there is more to it between the rescue from the eclipse and donning that armor.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
You know how when when diluting something there's a threshold you have to maintain, like with juices or cocaine, for it to still technically qualify as that thing? I think this adaptation passed that threshold with Berserk a while ago. Anyway, that rather comprehensive list of cuts from movie 3 reminded me of when Homer tried to watch TV at Flanders' house only to find that all the channels were blank:

Homer: Hey, what gives? I thought you had a satellite dish.
Ned: Sure doodily-do. Over 230 channels locked out!

That's sort of what this Berserk adaptation is turning into, a metaphorical blank screen of Berserk. So much is being cut that at a certain point the absent material by itself would make up a better adaptation. :ganishka:

Sammoniac

You taffers!
Griffith said:
That's sort of what this Berserk adaptation is turning into, a metaphorical blank screen. So much is being cut that at a certain point the absent material by itself would make up a better adaptation. :ganishka:

An adaptation without Guts and Casca dancing? Such a blasphemous travesty! :troll:

Top Bottom