Berserk Saga Project News

Sammoniac

You taffers!
Griffith said:
I can just imagine the pitch, "Hey, Guts kills this sorta buggy apostle first thing, then a slug, and later kills another insect-themed one with all sorts of bug monsters he could fight, so it'd be smart if we just wrapped it all up into one ultimate Black Swordsman package, then we could get back to Guts vs. Griffith and that Golden Age drama in the next movie! Plus, if it's revenge on the one that killed fan favorite Carcus it'll all tie in better and be all the more meaningful than him fighting some random stupid little girl we already cut, it's a win/win for OUR story!"

Yeah! And in order to find the buggy apostle, Guts would have to fuck all the girls in the land! And Zepek's apostle form would be the final boss of the movie! :troll:

Walter said:
Not worth much... :carcus:

However, their review does mention that we get some of SK's backstory, meaning that wow, maybe they really do mention Gaiseric's empire.

Thats what I was thinking, at least I hope. I don't want to think of the alternative; them making up stuff for his background.

Griffith said:
Plus, if it's revenge on the one that killed fan favorite Carcus it'll all tie in better and be all the more meaningful than him fighting some random stupid little girl we already cut

:ganishka:

The sad thing is I wouldn't put it past them to do something like that. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if someone from Studio Four Degrees Celsius read that and thought it was such a brilliant idea that they'd be stupid not to do it.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
tama chan said:
NOTE: For what it's worth, Kotaku posted a review of the third film - http://kotaku.com/5981641/the-third-berserk-movie-is-by-far-the-most-violent-thing-i-have-ever-watched
One thing I'm relieved about is that the CG is (supposedly) consistently better. The clip of the first 10 minutes didn't make me cringe like in the former two cases, but I wasn't sure if they were just saving all the crappy animation for later. But good to know that the cuts were "all for the best." :ganishka:

What if they plan to replace/combine Rosine's role in the Lost Children chapter with this apostle in a nightmarish sham of a Black Swordsman movie mashup?
The sad thing is that I'm at a point where I believe that they might just screw it up just this badly. Berserk Movie 4: Revenge of Spaghetti Butt.

"Descent is quite simply the most graphic mainstream anime movie I have ever seen."

Yeah...Berserk is SOOO mainstream...

As if I didnt hate this project enough already, now they´re giving Berserk the infamous label of "mainstream." I literally dont think I can get more depressed.

I mentioned a guy I tried introducing Berserk to in another thread a while ago. Last I saw him he told me he´d seen the first two movies and thought they were great and had proceeded to watch the old series but I can tell he wont be reading the manga since he knows that they´ll be continuing the movies, cause he thinks they are faithfull, since thats the information the project representatives gave us...

...just sad.

If Miura were to secretly hire/recruit assassins to deal with this, I´d be more than happy to sign up :zodd:

Darkman

Obey the one Law of Tooth & Claw
So according to that review Rickert is like litterally missing in action till what the ending at the cave? :magni:

We don't see skull knight saving him, meeting puck, the fortuneteller lady :???:

I mean Hopefully something is explained otherwize its like hole after hole for plot!
Its lame as those scenes I think are vital and do not take up much screentime.

They add a cameo of puck and future charecters yet those scenes arnt there!
Yikes!

^Haha yeah its fuckin ridiculous, they really bit themselves in the ass there :ganishka: ...again, nothing the project would fare worse of, since noobs and "take it for what it is" philosophers wouldnt notice it..

Hanma_Baki said:
^Haha yeah its fuckin ridiculous, they really bit themselves in the ass there :ganishka: ...again, nothing the project would fare worse of, since noobs and "take it for what it is" philosophers wouldnt notice it..

This made my night, thanks

Griffith said:
Just to be sure, you're not talking about the above images, are you (I'm not sure what you mean by her "secondary" or "principle" forms)? Either way, the design does borrow ideas from Rosine's transformations...

Nope! There are additional images at the very end of the book featuring Rosine as she appears starting in episode 112 after she transforms to battle Guts. I meant her 'principal' form to mean the apostle shape she has for most of her story and the 'secondary' form to be what she transforms into in that episode from her usual apostle body.

Berserk-Mainstream( as described in Kotaku's review) ? :ganishka: ..anyway that reviewer watched R-15 and it was almost too much for him? really ,I wonder if only thing in R-18 is explicit Caska's rape and different version of ''Breakthrough''

cuts are dissapointing of course but honestly what I'm banking on for the third film is largely the eclipse if it is done right(and from the review it sounds like its at least potent and graphic) I could forgive a lot about this series but my final judgment will not be made until I have a retail copy of this movie to watch on my TV and the time to appreciate(and stomach) it fully

SuperVegetto said:
This made my night, thanks

Just speaking my mind, sir :griffnotevil:

tama chan said:
I always thought the Eve of the Festival with Rickert had great scenes and I will miss them. :(

Again, if the charcter in question never really had any meaningful screen time to begin with then whats the point? Im not giving you shit here, just imagine the scene actually being present, then what??? You dont know this/these character/s so why would you care about what happens to him/them? Like many have already stated, this was practically doomed from the start. The scene wouldnt have had any impact whatsoever...Sad but true. Plus Im sure much of the more "technical" scene material is cut too so that scene wouldnt even make sense either way.

Lukis said:
Berserk-Mainstream( as described in Kotaku's review) ? :ganishka: ..anyway that reviewer watched R-15 and it was almost too much for him? really ,I wonder if only thing in R-18 is explicit Casca's rape and different version of ''Breakthrough''

But how much time is cut from the R18? Not trying to nitpick but I cant imagine Cascas rape taking 10 minutes? :???: (Thats just the time I thought was cut...might be wrong)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
I don't think we've seen such a detailed interpretation of that female apostle, particularly the lower backside. I say interpretation since we don't know how much input, if any, Miura had in these designs besides his artwork from the manga. Specifically, the film's version of the apostle has digitigrade legs (though seemingly with two sets of ankles, heels, and plantigrade feet strangely enough... but then it is an apostle) while Miura's original doesn't go beyond the impression of a plantigrade

Actually, we do see more than enough in the manga to know that this design is pure bullshit. The panel you posted is enough already, as she's pretty much fully transformed at that point, but we see her feet and ankles on the next page anyway, and they're the same as they appear there. So, big surprise, this is a direct change that makes no sense in the context of this apostle's preferred hunting method (luring its prey).

Walter said:
However, their review does mention that we get some of SK's backstory, meaning that wow, maybe they really do mention Gaiseric's empire.

Yeah, because that sequence can't really be called "the Skull Knight's backstory". It's a legend about Midland's creation (and the Tower of Rebirth, specifically) that has Guts think of him, and while there is little doubt that he was once Gaiseric, nothing is explicitly spelled out in that scene. Makes me curious anyway, wonder how they portrayed it and what they showed.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
"Berserk: Golden Age Arc III: Descent reigns supreme and delivers an experience surpassing even the original manga in both emotional turmoil and eye-wrenching ultra-violence."

the guy was stone when he wrote that right? Nothing, NOTHING can surpass the original manga! Fool... :mozgus:

Aazealh said:
...and while there is little doubt that he was once Gaiseric, nothing is explicitly spelled out in that scene.

Yeah I bet they effed that up too. There should be a little sense of mystery there but nooo... Why let the audience stimulate their own brain cells eh? :troll:

Hanma_Baki said:
"Descent is quite simply the most graphic mainstream anime movie I have ever seen."
Considering what the main movie demographic boils down to, it's hardly surprising. Especially when the article's hook is "The Third Berserk Movie is by Far the Most Violent Thing I Have Ever Watched" there's really not much else to say.

jackson_hurley said:
"Berserk: Golden Age Arc III: Descent reigns supreme and delivers an experience surpassing even the original manga in both emotional turmoil and eye-wrenching ultra-violence."

"Wyald? Pff. Pansy" :troll:

No surprise the reviewer makes no attempt to back up such an idiotic statement outside of an empty claim that "their (the cut content's) removal gave the movie both focus and a better pace". Yeah, scenes like the developing Casca and Guts relationship sure got in the way of the real focus of the story :ganishka:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:

the guy was stone when he wrote that right? Nothing, NOTHING can surpass the original manga! Fool... :mozgus:
Actually, the way that sentence is worded, it sounds more like: "Boy, they really went overboard with this thing!"

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
All this talk prompted me to check that review. First sentence: "Over the past year, Berserk has returned to the limelight in a big way with a trilogy of movies based on the first arc of the popular manga." Guess I'd rather not waste my time after all.

Walter said:
Actually, the way that sentence is worded, it sounds more like: "Boy, they really went overboard with this thing!"

I'm wondering about that myself. The film crew has made attempts to "update" action sequences in the previous films. Maybe there's more focus on the specific slaying of Carcus and Pippin among other things?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
SuperVegetto said:
I'm 99% sure they payed that guy, or kissed his ass
Come on dude... there's no need for such hyperbole. It's a goddamned Kotaku review. Did you really expect that it would have high standards?

I was hoping he would mention what bits they kept after the eclipse. We know that there are pictures of Erika and Rickert in the cave but I wonder if they will even keep the 'Escape' episode, the apostle he kills or just go right from the cave to donning the black swordsman armor.

Griffith said:
Furthermore, it would unfortunately make sense of her increased size and seemingly random showcase introduction in the third film, at least in Berserk movie logic.

It's almost fascinating to think of all the changes, especially when you think of how difficult it will be to fix them in order to bring context to any later scenes (not that I am convinced that this project will continue with poor sales). The skull knight is given the power now to change day to night, so exactly how would that work in a scene like Albion or others? Honestly, I will be moderately entertained seeing how they figure this stuff out. :ganishka: I mean to me at least, it would seem to be less difficult had they just stuck to the script/manga like they said, although despite their other failures, like CGI, they really shot themselves in the foot when they decided to stick to a movie type format that really limited the amount of content they could fit.

Hearing that the Eclipse still shines through even a half hearted movie trilogy, just goes to show you the gravity of how strong of a scene it is. It might very well be one of the most shocking sequences ever created. Strangely, it doesn't feel too off stating that. I can't think of many films, movies, or books that has created such a shocking scene, and yet crafted it so well.

Only things in my opinion that rival the Eclipse sequence is in terms of emotional investment, and horror for me personally is:

-Old Boy (Finale Scene)
-Martyrs (2008)
-The Crucible (Finale)
-Schindler's list
-The Messenger
-Seven
-Requiem for a Dream
-Blow

Already, I'm reaching. Berserk is truly exceptional.

Top Bottom