Berserk Saga Project News

DirectDK said:
I just decided to email CDJapan. Basically, they told me NOT to order this one (the 9,100 yen one): http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=NEODAI-3634

Someone requested CDJapan through their request service to buy this from another online shop and resell it to him, before it was readily available and officially on their site properly.

In other words, the cheaper link I posted originally is the correct one. This one: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=VPXV-71221

Thank you DirectDK for the feedback and efforts! I just ordered mine along with the DVD! :guts:

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
jackson_hurley said:
so they're gonna give original artwork from the movie at the double feature.. :
https://www.facebook.com/BerserkFilm
Honestly I realize how big of an asshole I sound like saying this, but I don't really care about "original artwork" from any of these movies. It's hard for me to understand how that's supposed to be exciting. Don't get me wrong; there's lots and lots of art in the films that looks FANTASTIC. I just can't see myself drooling over an original piece of art some random person drew to help make these crappy things. Even if it's cool Berserk art, it feels on the same level as Berserk fan art to me.

Though, I think I'd feel different about artwork from the '97 anime. I actually feel connected to that. And if they were giving a way a doodle of Puck that Miura scribbled on some napkin, count me in.

I'm grumpy today. :puck:

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
I feel bad because I live close enough and have the means to go to this, but I just can't see it as worth the money. Maybe if I lived in SF and could just walk over there and pay just the movie fee, but it's not worth the cost of travel. I never thought I'd say that about something Berserk related either! :judo:

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Walter said:
Some neat looking stuff from Movie 3 in that gallery: https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/577578_650953364921350_1508584537_n.jpg

Sweet! i did not see that. I just browsed quickly on the facebook page. thx Walter

Deci

Dar Klink said:
I feel bad because I live close enough and have the means to go to this, but I just can't see it as worth the money. Maybe if I lived in SF and could just walk over there and pay just the movie fee, but it's not worth the cost of travel. I never thought I'd say that about something Berserk related either! :judo:

I'd go, if nothing else to meet some Berserk-aholics like myself.

Hello all. I've been lurking on the site for about a year, I finally got admin approval so this is my first post.

I'm surprised by the level of hatred that people have towards these movies here, most of the other sites (ANN, Amazon, etc) people seem to like them. Personally I like the movies if you take them as a companion to the manga and the original 90s anime. Yea they leave a lot of stuff out, but so does a lot of anime. I think they're pretty good as long as you also read the manga to get the full story.

I heard a few people mention that they are doing the Lost Children Arc next, does anybody know a source or anything for this? I think if they did that as a trilogy it could come out pretty well. Movie 1 could be the snake Baron and the Count, movie 2 could be Rosine and the Mist Valley, and movie 3 could be the conclusion to Rosine.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Heisenberg said:
I heard a few people mention that they are doing the Lost Children Arc next, does anybody know a source or anything for this? I think if they did that as a trilogy it could come out pretty well. Movie 1 could be the snake Baron and the Count, movie 2 could be Rosine and the Mist Valley, and movie 3 could be the conclusion to Rosine.

The Lost Children chapter, which is part of the Retribution arc, does not include the events you mention with the Snake Baron and the Slug Count. Those are part of the Black Swordsman arc, and so far it doesn't look like that arc is being done.

Heisenberg said:
I'm surprised by the level of hatred that people have towards these movies here, most of the other sites (ANN, Amazon, etc) people seem to like them. Personally I like the movies if you take them as a companion to the manga and the original 90s anime. Yea they leave a lot of stuff out, but so does a lot of anime. I think they're pretty good as long as you also read the manga to get the full story.

Welcome to SK.net. I hope you're ready for some in depth discussions and debates among the community. :slan:

Whilst it has been said countless times by many people here, I feel the need to share my thoughts once again, mostly because I'm lurking the board waiting for the next manga episode and trying desperately to get my Berserk fix during it's absence. But, it's not so much what they left out of these films that is the problem, it's the incorrect interpretation of each character and the unnecessary additions that the animation studio decided to include in the final cut.

I wouldn't say that I would be entirely happy if they had just cut a few scenes and turned it into a summary with extended directors cuts on home release, but it would be a BIG improvement over the character development (or lack thereof) we have been left with and the bizarre changes that have been made. It sends out the wrong message to people who are being introduced to Berserk for the first time and it doesn't let them gain a true representation of the source material. So, for me personally, I can fully understand a lot of the board members disapproval, especially for those who have been waiting for close to 15 years for a more accurate portrayal above the 97 anime.

If you've been a lurker for a while, I'm sure you're fully aware of many of the opinions among the board, but if you haven't looked it over, I recommend seeking through the review threads for the in depth analysis from both Aaz and Walter, since I don't think many other people could show you the issues quite as well as they can.

Aazealh said:
The Lost Children chapter, which is part of the Retribution arc, does not include the events you mention with the Snake Baron and the Slug Count. Those are part of the Black Swordsman arc, and so far it doesn't look like that arc is being done.
Well since chronologically the snake Baron and the Count take place in between the end of the Golden Age, and the Lost Children story, I assumed they would include those if they do another trilogy. If you're not going to put it in the beginning, as Miura originally intended, that would be the way to do it. Giving the Black Swordsman arc an entire trilogy would be a pretty big break from their current pacing.
JezzaX said:
Whilst it has been said countless times by many people here, I feel the need to share my thoughts once again, mostly because I'm lurking the board waiting for the next manga episode and trying desperately to get my Berserk fix during it's absence. But, it's not so much what they left out of these films that is the problem, it's the incorrect interpretation of each character and the unnecessary additions that the animation studio decided to include in the final cut.

I wouldn't say that I would be entirely happy if they had just cut a few scenes and turned it into a summary with extended directors cuts on home release, but it would be a BIG improvement over the character development (or lack thereof) we have been left with and the bizarre changes that have been made. It sends out the wrong message to people who are being introduced to Berserk for the first time and it doesn't let them gain a true representation of the source material. So, for me personally, I can fully understand a lot of the board members disapproval, especially for those who have been waiting for close to 15 years for a more accurate portrayal above the 97 anime.
Yea I guess I could see that. I'm not trying to defend the choices they've made. I still enjoy the films though, as somebody who has already read the manga and seen the original anime. I could definitely see how it could give somebody a false impression of the story if this was their first introduction to Berserk though. Honestly I'm just happy to have something to take away the sting of waiting for new manga episodes.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Heisenberg said:
Well since chronologically the snake Baron and the Count take place in between the end of the Golden Age, and the Lost Children story, I assumed they would include those if they do another trilogy. If you're not going to put it in the beginning, as Miura originally intended, that would be the way to do it. Giving the Black Swordsman arc an entire trilogy would be a pretty big break from their current pacing.

You presume that they intend to feature the Black Swordsman arc at all, but at this point it's everything but guaranteed.

Aazealh said:
You presume that they intend to feature the Black Swordsman arc at all, but at this point it's everything but guaranteed.
That's why I was asking if anybody had the source that said what they were planning on doing next, so far all I've heard are rumors. I didn't see any reason to assume they wouldn't be doing the Black Swordsman arc if the only indication was that they said they would be doing Lost Children next. I could be wrong of course; we'll probably have some news on it soon with Descent being released on DVD in another month.

Deci

Heisenberg said:
That's why I was asking if anybody had the source that said what they were planning on doing next, so far all I've heard are rumors.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2012-08-30/interview-eiko-tanaka

"Was there a particular arc of the manga you personally were looking forward to seeing animated?

Next will be the arc of “Lost Children”. I wish we could see Farnese animated.
"

Miura expressed interest in seeing the Black Swordsman Arc next, but I'm not holding my breath. STUDIO4℃ seems to be taking and leaving whatever they want.

Deci said:
Miura expressed interest in seeing the Black Swordsman Arc next, but I'm not holding my breath. STUDIO4℃ seems to be taking and leaving whatever they want.

...Those fu!#¤%&/(?=/%¤%&!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

b0.JPG

Well I'm still holding out hope that they're just going to put snake Baron, the Count, and Puck as the first movie in the Lost Children trilogy. If they skip the Black Swordsman arc all together I think even I will become pretty disillusioned with the film series.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Heisenberg said:
Well I'm still holding out hope that they're just going to put snake Baron, the Count, and Puck as the first movie in the Lost Children trilogy.
So, Volumes 1-3 in 70-90 minutes. Then Volumes 14-16 in 2 70-90 minute installments. Is this really what people want? :magni:

With how some things have been handled so far I wouldn't put it past them to try and summarize Guts meeting puck and getting a behelit (Volumes 1-3) in a 5-10 min dream or something.

Deci

Heisenberg said:
Well I'm still holding out hope that they're just going to put snake Baron, the Count, and Puck as the first movie in the Lost Children trilogy. If they skip the Black Swordsman arc all together I think even I will become pretty disillusioned with the film series.

Not to put it pass STUDIO4℃, but it just even further confuses if they put the Black Swordsman Arc in the Lost Children Arc. What would that be? Berserk The Lost Children Arc I: The Black Swordsman Arc? o_O

Personally I highly doubt they'll keep going with the trilogy format, I always assumed the Golden Age was only done so because it was originally intended as one big movie, then after it was realized it wouldn't be possible they scrambled to change it to a trilogy. That, and it's obviously the most well-known segment of Berserk and was probably deemed most likely to sell well in theaters. With all that and adding in the poor ticket sales, I think if anything we'll get an OVA series next. For one I really don't see them continuing with theatrical releases for many reasons, at least not with all of it. If they get far enough maybe Femto's incarnation, but not everything.

Hopefully if they've learned anything from this, it's that they need to make some reparations towards Miura and the fans in regards to faithfulness.

It's really not unrealistic for them to do a prequel movie, is it? They could do the Black Swordsman Arc whenever they like, just put a little foreword in the beginning stating when it takes place and off it goes. Or make a "SPECIAL" of some sort to pass it off... but truly realistically, if we've learned anything, it's we shouldn't expect anything from STUDIO4℃ one way or the other. I don't hate the movies, but they've made some downright face-palming and head-scratching decisions thus far.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
TheHighCommander said:
With how some things have been handled so far I wouldn't put it past them to try and summarize Guts meeting puck and getting a Beherit (Volumes 1-3) in a 5-10 min dream or something.

More like 30 seconds in slow-motion.

Deci said:
That, and it's obviously the most well-known segment of Berserk and was probably deemed most likely to sell well in theaters.

You know, I'm not even so sure it's actually so clearly the most well-known segment of Berserk. Yeah, sure, there was the TV series, but in Japan if you ask people about Berserk I bet what comes to their mind is Guts as the Black Swordsman, with the Dragon Slayer. I think they went with it because they deemed it the likeliest to attract a new audience.

Aazealh said:
You know, I'm not even so sure it's actually so clearly the most well-known segment of Berserk. Yeah, sure, there was the TV series, but in Japan if you ask people about Berserk I bet what comes to their mind is Guts as the Black Swordsman, with the Dragon Slayer. I think they went with it because they deemed it the likeliest to attract a new audience.
An argument could be made for it being the most significant part of the story though. The relationship between Guts, Griffith, and Casca established in the Golden Age is the driving force for the entire rest of the manga, up to and including where we are now. Guts' desire to kill Griffith and protect Casca are two of the biggest pillars that the Berserk story is built on. Even the relationships he has cultivated with the new crew is constantly being measured up to the one he had with his old 'family'.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Heisenberg said:
An argument could be made for it being the most significant part of the story though.

Hardly. It's significant because it establishes the background for Guts' adventures, which is why it lasted so long. But it's just that in the end: a flashback that establishes a background (for Guts' two main drives among other things).

Heisenberg said:
Even the relationships he has cultivated with the new crew is constantly being measured up to the one he had with his old 'family'.

He reflected on it a few times; that's not what I call "constant". And the depth of his relationships with his "family" has very long ago surpassed that of those he had with his old comrades (for which that term was never used, by the way).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
frankencowx said:
I'm not sure it's fair to say one arc is more significant than another.

I don't believe it is. They each help build up the series, sometimes in different ways, but they all contribute greatly to it. And the resulting sum is greater than its parts.

Aazealh said:
He reflected on it a few times, that's not what I call "constant".

And the depth of his relationships with his "family" has very long ago surpassed that of those he had with his old comrades (for which that term was never used, by the way).
Had I been quoting a direct line from the manga I would have said "family" with double quotations. Using 'family' with single quotations simply denotes the use of the word family to describe people that were close to him, and acted as a family, without actually being one.

Can we say his relationship with his new comrades is that deep? Perhaps, but we have to examine the reasons why. The reason the bond Guts has formed with his new crew is so exquisite is because it represents him coming out of the other end of the proverbial tunnel that he entered after the Eclipse. The Black Swordsman arc introduces Guts as almost a sociopath, who cares only about killing monsters. Chronologically, the next time we see him, after the flashback, is the Lost Children story. Here we have Guts killing demons made from children, and at one point almost chops Jill in half in order to kill Rosine. Not to mention that the apostle he's fighting is somewhat sympathetic.

While things get somewhat lighter after that (thanks to Puck), we still have the impression that Guts is never going to go back to the way he was again. The fact that he was able to come out the other side of this darkness and find a new family, is made so extraordinary because of the scars left by his old family.

You also have to remember that most of the bonding between him and the Hawks took place off panel. He's been with his new family for what, a year? Less? He spent more than three years bonding with his old comrades and growing close to them, most of which we didn't get to see. And frankly, he's not exactly open with his new friends. The only ones who really know what happened to him are the ones who have been inside his mind. The only time he ever actually spoke to one of them about his past was when Puck listened to him tell Rickert. I mean this is only natural, given how painful it obviously is to talk about, but it's still a wall that prevents him from being fully open.

Let me ask you this. Would you agree that the Eclipse is one of the most significant moments in the series? If not the most significant? And if so, wouldn't it stand to reason that the Golden Age, as the story that culminates into the Eclipse has a great level of significance?

frankencowx said:
I'm not sure it's fair to say one arc is more significant than another.
I'm not saying necessarily that it is, just that an argument could be made for it.

Top Bottom