Berserk Saga Project News

Glad I wasn't late to work, it juuuuuuuust arrived! Not opening up the shrink-wrap or the poster-wrap till I get home.

683e8fa7-3f40-49e8-8b35-219004a6a8f8_zps2ae412c4.jpg

e209b69f-9d36-4928-b8e8-1f6b1570354c_zpsde8e53a8.jpg

I'll be interested to hear what the differences are between the two versions and what the running times actually are. It seems like they've been listed from anywhere between 110 minutes to over 120. I think... :???:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Well, the Golden Age portion of the saga is officially over now. It received mixed reviews. We don't know the final sales figures, so we don't know if it was a financial success or failure. Plotting its future is murky.

But what do you guys expect in the coming months? How soon do you think it'd be feasible for them to formally announce and show off Lost Children (presuming that's still where the project is headed)? What would you like to see changed in the coming section of the project?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
Do we know production budgets for the trilogies and collections so far?
I doubt information like that will ever be disclosed. Japanese companies generally keep that stuff close to the vest, I think.

Bummer : / ... wish there was like a boxofficemojo equivalent for them where it gives an overall picture of total production costs including marketing both local and overseas plus collections both local and overseas with a breakdown of what it earned in which country. In this case, I'd be curious to see amounts for ticket sales, Japanese BR/ DVD sales and the English BR/ DVD sales.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
Bummer : / ... wish there was like a boxofficemojo equivalent for them where it gives an overall picture of total production costs including marketing both local and overseas plus collections both local and overseas with a breakdown of what it earned in which country. In this case, I'd be curious to see amounts for ticket sales, Japanese BR/ DVD sales and the English BR/ DVD sales.
Yes, well... I've done pretty extensive research on how the movies did, and if you've followed the thread you've seen when I posted them. We have detailed information on the first few weeks of each movie being at the box office. Based on that data alone, the movies did progressively worse in theaters, generally landing between 8th and 11th in the rankings and disappearing from the top placements within a week or two. Other factors contribute of course, such as what other movies there are at the time, but it's all the data we have to go on.

That's not really the point I was trying to make with my recent post though... What do you guys expect next?

True, I remember those stats and the box office ranking at what the movies debuted at. Movie 2 I think opened on a weekend when there was a weather issue or something. It'll be nice to see a total figure/ overall picture.

I'd like to see The Black Swordsman done next followed by Lost Children. Most reviews for movies 1 and 2 said good things about backgrounds and I hope they can work on the CG complaints that the majority have. Prefer them to treat it like OVA's rather than compress the story in movies but I presume they'll stick to movie format with another trilogy perhaps? Don't know how soon they'd move ahead with it.

It was obviously disappointing to see them change things and opt for newly written scenes or cut scenes from the first 2 movies, but it's bound to happen given the format. Story's key. If cost is a major factor, I wouldn't mind a lower quality production in return for longer screen-time covering more story, expressing the right emotions and actions. It's hard though cos in return people might complain about the CG being bad ... a lot to consider/ think about ... not to deviate but would a Kickstarter help where X amount is raised with the promise of OVA's tackling more story consistently? I'd be ok with them taking their time adapting it if that's the case.

I just realized it's easier for me to talk about it than post/ type it all out because of random thoughts in my head :farnese:

To be honest, I wouldn't be all too bothered if Studio 4c decided to call it quits. The only positive aspect to come from this is increased awareness of Berserk as a whole.

If they do decide to carry on, I hope they really take their time to plan everything far more meticulously than they have for this trilogy and decide to really follow up on a lot of the criticisms they have no doubt received from some of the bigger fans. If I was to expect an announcement, I wouldn't think we would hear about it until next year at the earliest and I would expect it to no doubt be about the Lost Children, hopefully in OVA format.

Walter said:
Well, the Golden Age portion of the saga is officially over now. It received mixed reviews. We don't know the final sales figures, so we don't know if it was a financial success or failure. Plotting its future is murky.

But what do you guys expect in the coming months? How soon do you think it'd be feasible for them to formally announce and show off Lost Children (presuming that's still where the project is headed)? What would you like to see changed in the coming section of the project?

I hate to say this but they should just have given the project to someone else. I'm not trying to be a stickler but the films don't do the manga justice. Since they still have the license to use Berserk and if they actually make more, a few points:

1. Stop cutting important scenes in favor of adding brand new ones. Not all of them were bad, but do we really need to see Guts and Casca dancing more instead of a bonfire of dreams sequence?

2. The horrible flash backs. I don't know what they were thinking, but they look awful when they go in slow motion and I believe anyone watching it that doesn't know Berserk will have no clue whats going on (especially the first one with Guts' childhood).

3. Please don't include a musical score where there doesn't need to be any. Silence can also work just as well in many scenes and be effective.

4. While the CGI wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be and did improve as the films went on, they were still noticable and took me out of the movie. Please use better animation techniques. Other then that the backgrounds and certain scenes did look impressive.

Hmm... thats all I got right now. I'm not really sure how to feel; when I first heard of the movies coming out when we were all waiting for them I was so excited, but I don't feel that way anymore. :sad:

I'm hoping they continue it ala Hellsing, as an OVA series. The films just take too long for us to get in the US, having to wait for theatrical release, then DVD release, and for some people for Funimation to dub it.

A lot of my biggest problems, the flashbacks and the CGI, have gotten progressively better as the series went on, but they could still use some cleaning up.

I don't care much about adding scenes, but they need to stop cutting important stuff. I get why they put the Golden Age into three movies, but they really need to adjust their pacing for the rest of the series. No more putting an entire arc into only three movies. One or two manga volumes per movie/OVA/whatever would be more appropriate.

DO NOT skip the Black Swordsman.

I would rather they just stopped here. Seeing as the Golden Age Arc has been told twice now and so much of the story is toned down that I feel if this went even further into the other arcs of the story I feel so much would be changed and altered mostly by people with no knowledge of the original source material. I felt this trilogy's heart was in the right place but this would have worked so much better as a new TV series than a trilogy of films on a much more tighter and larger budget without poorly made CG.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Well as a few have said already,I'd wish they stopped chopping off important portions/characters of the story. (Like minister Foss that comes back way later on in the story) I can understand the need to cut stuff up if it's in movie format but fuck, stop adding pointless part that don't bring anything to the story and put real part instead. They could stop introducing characters in advance just to please the fans. We will see them anyway if the movies keep going so whats the point to bring them in way early? The cgi didn't bothered me that much as I'm used to watch badly done movies, as long as the story is 90% similar to the manga I'll be fine...

There are few ideal solutions : put Miura in charge or stop the project, both sadly are either impossible or unlikely. (Also I woudn't want Miura in charge since manga delay would grow even larger). Anyway they should stop go all artistic and iterpret or change the scenes as they wish, don't cut the important parts from the manga, so yeah basically you just need stick to the manga as much as possible. Seems pretty hard though.

smogas said:
put Miura in charge

As nice as that would be having him in charge of this would ultimately slow down his work on the Manga a great deal, If Miura ever had any involvement in this project to begin with he would have instructed the animators & storytellers on the do's & don'ts on how these films would have turned out. I still would have liked to hear what he thought of these films seeing as they kind of went passed his radar, slim chance of hearing his opinion on these though.

Putting him in charge would be interesting. I wonder if he'd retcon any of his previous work if given the opportunity. He does have twenty years of distance from when he wrote the Black Swordsman. His sensibilities may have changes since then. It'll never happen, but it would be interesting to see him adapt his own work the way George R.R. Martin is doing for much of Game of Thrones.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
SamNeillium said:
ea1d4bbb2f6dc9b1941adfb0ca47201a1317952880_full.jpg

This wasn't in the movie, right?
Not that I recall. Rickert's scenes in this movie were limited to: shown briefly during the camp assault, shown outside Eclipse, post-eclipse.

Fine by me. Enough liberties were already taken...

How could this studio flop this project so badly? I mean, they been working on this thing since 2009 right? Didn't they take their time? This is like the fast food drive through version of Berserk. It cheap, not all that tasty as the advertisement dictates, a little bit unrecognizable at times when eating watching it, and bad for you.

Death May Die said:
How could this studio flop this project so badly? I mean, they been working on this thing since 2009 right? Didn't they take their time? This is like the fast food drive through version of Berserk. It cheap, not all that tasty as the advertisement dictates, a little bit unrecognizable at times when eating watching it, and bad for you.

berserk-lowest2.jpg

Fast food drive through version, indeed.

Is that really a thing? Please tell me someone just did some photoshop magic that I have no idea how it works and made that...

Im sad now.

Thats real, I believe that came out around the time the first film was in theaters in Japan, sponsoring a fast food franchise. It makes me ill just looking at the thing so I have to just laugh at it. Actually now that I think about it, that poster sums up the entire trilogy for me.

Death May Die said:

I'm all for the entertainment equivalent of a greasy fast food burger if it's essentially promised and expected from the get-go, but the trilogy commits a greater crime by processing and delivering fast food leftovers out of a banquet of prime cuts of steak. And unlike what the advertisement indicates, there's no soft drink to help wash it all down. :troll:

Top Bottom