Artwork from the coming movie

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys, I'm reposting this since it's been buried in the mega-thread we had going before creating the dedicated category. I snatched these background artworks from the official site. Enjoy and feel free to post whatever artwork from the movie you think looks cool!

Aazealh said:
Digging that falcon idol on the altar.

Falcon-Small.jpg

Anyway, here are all the backgrounds I've seen so far:

01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05 | 06 | 07 | 08 | 09

These screenshots from the trailer are also worth checking out:

Walter said:
Griffith said:
If you like that, you're going to love this:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Very lovely, and it's nice to have what amounts to official wallpapers already. Even better though, the scenes look readily identifiable, so it's new info to boot!

01 looks like Wyndham, specifically the abandoned version from Griffith's vision (you can see what appears to be the same tapestry as the one that appears behind the old woman in this shot).

02 could indeed be the church where Griffith is elevated and/or where Queen's funeral takes place.

03 looks like the field where Guts and Griffith have their first official duel (though it's technically their second engagement, so Griffith is 2-1 overall =).

04 is potentially very exciting, because if it's not the forest where Guts kills Donovan or more likely has the 100 man fight, it could be where he battles Wyald!

05 looks like the site of the Falcons first battle with Adon's forces, and the cliff Guts and Casca fall over.

06 looks like the plain surrounding Doldrey, among other sieges.

07 could be their interpretation of cave Guts and Casca take refuge in. The atmosphere looks similar to the previous forest shot.

08 looks reminicient of the scenery in "Requiem in the Wind" and "Soldier's Twilight" when the Falcons finally escape their pursuers and deal with the knowledge Griffith will never be the same (if only they knew).

09 is pretty vague, could from a few things, but the be Assassin episodes are a good guess.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
First of all, awesome assessment, Griff. I actually hadn't thought about trying to pinpoint all the scenes, but there's probably enough detail here to give a decent hypothesis.

Griffith said:
01 looks like Wyndham, specifically the abandoned version from Griffiths vision (you can see what appears to be the same tapestry as the one that appears behind the old woman in this shot).
I always thought the castle town in Griffith's vision was something ideal, not necessarily tied to a real place. That definitely looks like the same tapestry as the shot with the old woman, so my vote is that this is part of the vision, not a real place.

03 looks like the field where Guts and Griffith have their first official duel (though it's technically their second engagement, so Griffith is 2-1 overall =).
Hard to say for sure, but it could easily be either of those scenes. Looking at the trailer again, the background looks extremely similar to that first shot where Guts swings his sword toward the camera, which would place this shot during their first engagement.

04 is potentially very exciting, because if it's not the forest where Guts kills Donovan or more likely has the 100 man fight, it could be where he battles Wyald.
My first thought was the forest where Guts encounters SK, but there's no dramatic fog, and it's certainly not dark enough. Could be so many scenes...

08 looks reminicient of the scenery in "Requiem in the Wind" and "Soldier's Twilight" when the Falcons finally escape their pursuers and deal with the knowledge Griffith will never be the same (if only they knew).
Definitely.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
A few comments:

Griffith said:
01 looks like Wyndham, specifically the abandoned version from Griffiths vision (you can see what appears to be the same tapestry as the one that appears behind the old woman in this shot).

This is just nitpicking but like Walter said this isn't actually Wyndham but rather an imaginary city (or one remembered from his past, with the castle up high on the mountain and all).

Griffith said:
04 is potentially very exciting, because if it's not the forest where Guts kills Donovan or more likely has the 100 man fight, it could be where he battles Wyald!

Aside from these and the place Wally mentioned where Guts first met SK, it could also be where the Slug Count and Rochine's minions butchered those from the Band of the Falcon that had been left behind, or where Silat and the hired men he led attacked the Band of the Falcon in volume 9.

Griffith said:
06 looks like the plain surrounding Doldrey, among other sieges.

It does feel like the terrain surrounding Doldrey, but it's too different to satisfy me. If it's facing Doldrey then it's lacking the fortress and the mountains aren't high enough, and if it's facing away then there should be a river and no mountains.

Other than that I'd come to the same conclusions about everything else.

Good stuff Griffith.

09 also reminds me of Vol 08 and it could be the scene right before they show the band of the hawk hit up that tavern. Page 147 bottom left image has the same look from the outside with those wooden pillars/ beams. Wait, it's not snowing. DAMNIT >_<' !!

Griffith

Walter said:
I always thought the castle town in Griffith's vision was something ideal, not necessarily tied to a real place. That definitely looks like the same tapestry as the shot with the old woman, so my vote is that this is part of the vision, not a real place.
Aazealh said:
This is just nitpicking but like Walter said this isn't actually Wyndham but rather an imaginary city (or one remembered from his past, with the castle up high on the mountain and all).

It may not be Wyndham (different castle, though I've always thought of them as equivalent), but I don't think it's imaginary or ideal either, since it's also shown during Griffith's childhood memories while he's in prison. It became his ideal certainly, but I think that city and castle are real places. Speaking of which, wouldn't it be cool to see King Griffith visit?

"I think I'll move in here." :griffnotevil:
"But sire, what about Falconi...?" :magni:
"I SAID I WANT THIS ONE!" :femto:

Walter said:
Hard to say for sure, but it could easily be either of those scenes. Looking at the trailer again, the background looks extremely similar to that first shot where Guts swings his sword toward the camera, which would place this shot during their first engagement.

It could end up being the background for both assuming they don't change it with the Falcon's camp nearby. The whole thing is strange though, I mean, that shot from the trailer is still most certainly when Guts is attacked by Carcus, Dan, and Earl since he drops his bag and all, but then he's not supposed to be wearing his helmet either (plus he's missing his cape, scarf, etc). Depending on how much they've changed things, that really could be the duel with Griffith for all we know (another cheerful thought, they could actually combine those first two fights with Griffith). Speaking of which, kind of like how Guts still has his old sword and armor in the second duel. I don't remember as much of a stink being made about his helmet (or enough of one, I should say =).

Walter said:
My first thought was the forest where Guts encounters SK, but there's no dramatic fog, and it's certainly not dark enough. Could be so many scenes...
Walter said:
Aside from the place Wally mentioned where Guts first met SK, it could also be where the Slug Count and Rochine's minions butchered those from the Band of the Falcon that had been left behind, or where Silat and the hired men he led attacked the Band of the Falcon in volume 9.

I discounted the forest scenes that took place at night, but it still could be those, yes.

Walter said:
It does feel like the terrain surrounding Doldrey, but it's too different to satisfy me. If it's facing Doldrey then it's lacking the fortress and the mountains aren't high enough, and if it's facing away then there should be a river and no mountains.

Agreed, given all the other discrepancies it wouldn't be surprising though.

IncantatioN said:
09 also reminds me of Vol 08 and it could be the scene right before they show the band of the hawk hit up that tavern. Page 147 bottom left image has the same look from the outside with those wooden pillars/ beams. Wait, it's not snowing. DAMNIT >_<' !!

It could still be when they hit the tavern in volume 6. :guts:

Checking out the backgrounds and character designs, it's nice to see that those aspects are clearly being worked on by people who Give a Shit. Looking at the crowd of random soldiers, for example, I can pick up all sorts of historical arms and pieces of armour. They've clearly upheld Miura's background research.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Zoddit said:
Here the HD images "hacked" from the official site without ads...
Hey great, thanks for this! How'd you manage to do that? Some quick printscreening before they appeared?

Griffith

I have to reiterate how encouraging to downright gorgeous some of these shots look, particularly the backgrounds and closeups. Things, like faces, get weirder whenever there's a wide shot of somebody though, such as in the case of Guts during the second duel or Griffith in the first duel and when he first meets Casca (nice to see the noble in there btw). To that point...

Zoddit said:

"I bring you love."
Maybe just keeping his face in pure silhouette would have been better. :griffnotevil:

Zoddit said:

Alright, I have to ask, what the hell is this supposed to be?

Sammoniac said:
Nice! And oh... Judo DOES have freckles after all :serpico:

Yeah, only they're barely perceptible! :serpico:

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
Griffith said:
Judging by Guts' armor, it's sometime after rescuing Griffith before the eclipse.

voodoo_sh said:
Wow! But I didnt see any freckles there! Or it is just my monitor :ganishka:
It took me 3 minutes to spot them. There are 3 very, very faint freckles on his nose.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
It doesn't make any sense, but perhaps it's the scene before Griffith escapes and initiates the Eclipse. However there are a number of things that stand in the way of that conclusion. Primarily, Guts shouldn't be the one being consoled by Casca. It should be the other way around. Not to mention Guts still has a sword, and is fully outfitted.

My other suggestion would be the Bonfire of Dreams scene, but that also doesn't match up, because Guts would still be bandaged.

Griffith

Yeah, the superficial resemblance to either scenario is belied by the numerous ways they're otherwise completely unlike either scenario. If I had to bet I'd say it's a heavily altered scene from the Requiem in the Wind episode of volume 12, but other than the time of day just about everything else about it is completely off.

Thanks for the pics, they're beautiful. :ubik:

Walter said:
My other suggestion would be the Bonfire of Dreams scene

That scene is in the evening/night, isn't it?

DarkDragoon said:
Judging by Guts' armor, it's sometime after rescuing Griffith before the eclipse.

That's what I also thought... Maybe the scene when Casca announced the end of the Hawks? But those rocks are still confusing... Maybe they just added them to the background to make it look cooler, like as they also changed it a bit on the second Griffith-Guts duel scene.

Griffith said:

:ganishka: Creative association.

And, finally, the freckles we were wainting for appeared!

;)

Walter said:
Hey great, thanks for this! How'd you manage to do that? Some quick printscreening before they appeared?
not properly, I used a web debugging tool... I'm sending you more info.

Walter said:
It doesn't make any sense, but perhaps it's the scene before Griffith escapes and initiates the Eclipse. However there are a number of things that stand in the way of that conclusion. Primarily, Guts shouldn't be the one being consoled by Casca. It should be the other way around. Not to mention Guts still has a sword, and is fully outfitted.

My other suggestion would be the Bonfire of Dreams scene, but that also doesn't match up, because Guts would still be bandaged.

I was thinking the same.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gillia said:
But those rocks are still confusing... Maybe they just added them to the background to make it look cooler,
The rocks really aren't the problem. There are rocks present during the scene where Carcus breaks his sword, remember? It's more a matter of every other element of the scene not matching up.

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
Honestly, it's probably just a pretty promotional picture that isn't supposed to be anything specific. I think we all read too much into these pictures like they're actual screen grabs from the finished movie, when in reality I think they're just pictures.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
DarkDragoon said:
Honestly, it's probably just a pretty promotional picture that isn't supposed to be anything specific. I think we all read too much into these pictures like they're actual screen grabs from the finished movie, when in reality I think they're just pictures.
But we've seen many of these images animated in the first trailer. They aren't just still shots.

Top Bottom