The Dark Knight Rises

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Walter said:
Would you like a hand-cam grab of the final fight too? Along with insightful audience comments like: "Oh, he just got hit."

I didn't even watch it with sound the first time, i was more interested in the way the shot was being made, ence my comment about it. Far more interesting than leaked photos, yes. Specially since it might reveal the way Nolan is approaching fight scenes this time around.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
I didn't even watch it with sound the first time, i was more interested in the way the shot was being made, ence my comment about it. Far more interesting than leaked photos, yes. Specially since it might reveal the way Nolan is approaching fight scenes this time around.
This is pretty simple to me. Batman movies are an event; the Nolan ones even moreso. I'd rather not have that experience watered down by some shoddy leaked camera footage a year before the movie's release, and I can't imagine that I'm alone. If that's something you're interested in, there are probably hundreds of other sites that will relay that kind of stuff. I'd just rather it not be here.

If you want to carry on conversations about this kind of stuff, then please at least use spoiler tags in the future for the sake of those trying to avoid leaked footage.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
NightCrawler said:
As for the footage, i like the fact that the camera is far and i bet they're using some wide angle lens to cover all that mayhem, so i hope to see a decent Nolan fight scene for once.

Good call, though I didn't mind the look of the fights in the second movie; nothing memorable, but not memorably bad either. For an extreme example of how to do/don't do these kinds of hyperrealistic fight scenes (or even a compelling action movie versus a formulaic one), watch The Bourne Identity (DO), then The Bourne Supremacy (DON'T) back to back. At the very least you'll see the fights in the first one, and that Doug Liman > Paul Greengrass.

Walter said:
If you want to carry on conversations about this kind of stuff, then please at least use spoiler tags in the future for the sake of those trying to avoid leaked footage.

Yeah, spoiler tags and warnings should definitely be utilized for any information directly posted in-thread (descriptions equating to "Batman fights Bane in this movie" are ok), especially leaked images, which shouldn't be directly posted at all, only linked. Though, it's also advisable for those trying to avoid such material not to click on links already designated as such, and furthermore not click on the videos on those linked pages. Buyer beware after all, I've even had trouble resisting spoiler-tagged reviews in other movie threads ("I'll just read the first senten... fuck"), so even casually reading these threads can be hazardous, but... If we can't talk responsibly about new and spoilerific information regarding the new Batman movie in the new Batman movie thread, there's not much point to it.

NightCrawler

Griffith said:
If we can't talk responsibly about new and spoilerific information regarding the new Batman movie in the new Batman movie thread, there's not much point to it.

I agree.
I think you're being too strict in this matter Walter. It's a movie in development, there's a thread for it here, so there is bound to be discussion about leaked stuff and new info. Spoiler tags should be used, but i think a quick scene of Batman and Bane fighting isn't spoilery at all. Everyone is expecting them to fight more than once throughout the movie.
Anyway, you run this joint, so it's your call.

X

Xem

One of the comments on IGN made a good point about all these leaked videos and pictures. Basically if we're going to be scrutinizing every image almost a year before it's released it's going to make the movie-going experience much harder to appreciate since any inconsistency, error, or angle has already been judged from nearly all perspectives. Then again, Nolan has traditionally been pretty smart when it comes to campaigning so I'm of the persuasion that this particular scene(s) were meant to be "leaked", probably to address certain liberties the movie is taking (Bane's costume for example, an improvement imo, or Batman still in his previous suit [so far]) in order to prepare or "ease" certain fans. I find it interesting we're getting so much Bane, and no Catwoman, since traditionally she's the far more popular character. Perhaps Catwoman is Nolan's new Joker in that sense.

That aside, I'm pretty happy with what I've seen pre-editting. Usually if you see scenes from a movie in such a raw format (this guy's camera angle is pretty terrible) they look like utter garbage, especially when you got two grown men wearing goofy costumes pretending to slug each other... so color me satisfied. I'd like to add I'm also pretty impressed with what I could see of the fight choreography as well. Like you guys said, maybe Nolan will really get his fight Batman fight scenes nailed squarely this time. That's pretty exciting.

Also, I was skeptical about Hardy as Bane for a while, I mean he's not even South American, not even close.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
Then again, Nolan has traditionally been pretty smart when it comes to campaigning so I'm of the persuasion that this particular scene(s) were meant to be "leaked"
Nolan had to have been aware they'd get out. These pictures and video were taken from public spaces where the movie was being filmed -- literally on the streets of Pittsburgh.

As for Bane's look, I won't make any judgments until we see some actual press shots. Any sort of CG could be done to enhance his look, if that's their intention.

Griffith

Deci said:
One of the comments on IGN made a good point about all these leaked videos and pictures. Basically if we're going to be scrutinizing every image almost a year before it's released it's going to make the movie-going experience much harder to appreciate since any inconsistency, error, or angle has already been judged from nearly all perspectives.

Won't we just be over them then? It's like getting a trailer with all the bad scenes in the movie instead of the good ones. :guts:

Deci said:
That aside, I'm pretty happy with what I've seen pre-editting. Usually if you see scenes from a movie in such a raw format (this guy's camera angle is pretty terrible) they look like utter garbage, especially when you got two grown men wearing goofy costumes pretending to slug each other... so color me satisfied.

Agreed, I don't put much stock in raw set imagery, it's called movie magic for a reason; it doesn't actually look good if you just look at it straight ahead. That's why none of this will spoil the actual movie for me any more than my own home movies and photos.

Walter said:
Nolan had to have been aware they'd get out. These pictures and video were taken from public spaces where the movie was being filmed -- literally on the streets of Pittsburgh.

Coincidentally, a friend of mine was in Chicago during the filming of The Dark Knight and came upon a public set. When he tried to take a picture CPD shut him down so all he got was a picture with the cop that told him he couldn't take pictures. =)

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Griffith said:
Coincidentally, a friend of mine was in Chicago during the filming of The Dark Knight and came upon a public set. When he tried to take a picture CPD shut him down so all he got was a picture with the cop that told him he couldn't take pictures. =)

Same thing happened to me on Dark Knight. However, there were plenty of people filming around that didn't get "caught". I just happened to be right in the front of it. But on a side note, try to avoid videos like these. Like said various times before, this is nothing compared to the end product. I got to see the Tumblers scene on Wacker Dr. and you wouldn't believe me if I said that the fastest speed that car ever got to was 15MPH. Just an example.

I don't know how these guys dress up like that in this heat wave... :badbone:

Oburi

All praise Grail
http://justjared.buzznet.com/photo-gallery/2566965/anne-hathaway-as-dark-knight-rises-catwoman-first-look-01/

Umm...

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Looks like they might be going with Catwoman taking over for Batman (after Bane breaks him), after all. I'm not thrilled with her look, but this is just the first of many screenshots to come.

NightCrawler

I never liked Hathaway's casting in the first place. So far, in terms of looks, both Bane and Catwoman are severly underwhelming.
But i'm sold on Hardy as an actor.
Let's see if Nolan can handle the 3rd movie curse :p

Griffith

NightCrawler said:
But i'm sold on Hardy as an actor.

I'll never forgive him for Star Trek: Nemesis though. Not because it sucked, but because he took the part of Shinzon from James Marsters. :judo:

NightCrawler said:
Let's see if Nolan can handle the 3rd movie curse :p

Even he brought up the futility of trying to follow the last one. I don't see how he can top it, unless Anne Hathaway dies... before filming her scenes.

X

Xem

Too early to tell with those photo's of Anne Hathaway in my opinion. Is she working for Batman? That's the obvious choice... BUT

Did she steal the... er, motorcycle? Is she even 'Catwoman' yet in these pictures? Will she even be 'Catwoman' in the sense that we know? I think it's possible we may not get the original backstory of Catwoman in this movie. Possibly Selina Kyle will just be a nameless vigilante until Batman shows her the way or perhaps she's working with Bane and/or The League of Shadow (edit: possibly working with Batman and The League of Shadow as well, that'd cover the good/bad guy aspect of her character imo).

Until we get cat ears and a tail I'm not assume we've got another suited-up 'animal' in this movie just yet though. Also, as much as I love Hathaway, as some sites are saying she does seem a little too cutesy and well, sane, to play Catwoman. Until we get more information on the direction Nolan's taking I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Griffith

I doesn't make much sense to put Catwoman in the last movie and not ever let her be Catwoman, so I hope they don't go that route. In any case, it isn't too early to say that photo doesn't look promising, but reinforces initial reservations about Hathaway as Catwoman being a possible albatross of this film.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
I really want to like this movie! I've been scouring the interwebs and a lot people agree that it is futile to surpass the 2nd movie mainly because the Joker was made too awesome and Catwoman is too far of a contrast. I personally don't like Anne Hathaway, she should stick to romantic comedies, but i will give her the benefit of the doubt. I remember seeing leaked images for DK and they were less than impressive. A little movie magic goes a long way.

Griffith

The Dark Knight Rises shoots
FOOZBALL
!? Apparently it was a real Rogues Gallery. :carcus:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11219/1165808-60.stm said:
It was Saturday's installment of Christopher Nolan's "The Dark Knight Rises," his third and final Batman movie filming in Pittsburgh through Aug. 21.
The fans were assembled for a game between the make-believe Gotham Rogues and Rapid City Monuments.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11219/1165808-60.stm said:
While end zone lettering spelled out "Gotham Rogues" and the park was decked out with homemade signs such as "Rogue Rage," "Rogues Gallery" and "Rogue Nation," it sometimes felt like old home week.

Extras in the Rogues' colors of black and gold cheered as some Steelers players, including Ben Roethlisberger and Hines Ward, appeared as Gotham teammates.

Bill Cowher returned for his first coaching gig since leaving the Steelers after the 2006 season. Kevin Colbert, the Steelers' director of football operations, reunited with Mr. Cowher as an assistant Gotham coach.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11217/1165434-100.stm said:
....Thomas Tull, the film's executive producer
who joined the Steelers ownership group two years ago. Tull
helped influence the shooting of the movie in Pittsburgh
and he's been trying to get the Steelers involved

This is my favorite quote, from
infamous meathead quarterback/rapist Ben Roethlisberger
:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11217/1165434-100.stm said:
"I heard it's going to be a neat thing... ...I don't think it will be a big part, it's not like we're chasing Batman down or anything. It's something neat that in 10 years or 20 years we can tell our kids we were in a movie. Thomas does movies big and I'm sure it will be a big-time movie and something fun to be part of."

Gee, ya think?

Anyway, it's pretty neat, especially a particular someone they brought out of retirement, but for those already familiar with these people it's going to be kind of surreal to see.

NightCrawler

Big spoiler warning: don't see this video if you don't want to hear Bane's voice
(i sure hope they ADR this, because it's god-awful)

http://youtu.be/kR4hVwDhbIg

From another (much closer) angle: http://youtu.be/4nNaR6dZNb0

X

Xem

I'm surprised he can talk at all with that headgear on.

By that way, does this look like
Talia
to anyone else but me?

Griffith

So, it's come to this:

http://io9.com/5828841/so-wait-is-there-really-a-dark-knight-rises-backlash

I'd say the backlash began with the lame title (at least for me =). Anyway, instead of lamely preaching patience and rationality (duh), a much better angle is how the franchise is now a victim of The Dark Knight's success.

Deci said:
By that way, does this look like
Talia
to anyone else but me?

Maybe Warner Brother's (Nolan) was lying when they said Marion Cotillard wasn't playing her.
Offcially, her character is Miranda Tate, a member of the board at Wayne Enterprises... OR IS SHE!?
:magni:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
I'd say the backlash began with the lame title (at least for me =). Anyway, instead of lamely preaching patience and rationality (duh), a much better angle is how the franchise is now a victim of The Dark Knight's success.

You know, I wonder how people will feel about the trilogy in retrospect... I don't think The Dark Knight is nearly as good as it's made out to be (here's to you, Eluvei). And I think the movie benefited tremendously from Heath Ledger's untimely demise, as it built an incredible amount of hype around it. In any case, I'll see TDKR regardless of my fears about its quality.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Aazealh said:
You know, I wonder how people will feel about the trilogy in retrospect... I don't think The Dark Knight is nearly as good as it's made out to be.
I agree with you there. I watched DK recently and I saw a couple of things that could have been done better.. and I never noticed them until this year when I watched it all by myself. It's still my favorite movie though. :ubik:

Top Bottom