The Dark Knight Rises

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
maybe not of all time.. but its probably my favorite action movie of all time.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Aazealh said:
You know, I wonder how people will feel about the trilogy in retrospect... I don't think The Dark Knight is nearly as good as it's made out to be (here's to you, Eluvei).

I don't even look at it like a cohesive story (once they recast a part like that I can't =), but like Batman Begins was a practice run for The Dark Knight, which I think is basically going to be remembered as the quintessential Nolan Batman movie, and the reason the other two exist (he seems to confirm that with his thoughts on this one, since he basically said it wasn't necessary and the only angle was to try and do some kind of ending, which doesn't bode well for it either). As for it being overrated, while that's certainly true, I don't think that should be held against it any more than it should be praised just for being popular, though that undeniably helps its legacy. It's the critically acclaimed Batman movie (with a cool title =) that made a billion dollars, so I don't think any amount of nitpicking its various flaws will amount to a successful referendum rebuking that, nor is one warranted. For me personally it's kind of an alternating cycle of "that's worse/better than I remembered" each time I watch. Inception's the same way.

Aazealh said:
And I think the movie benefited tremendously from Heath Ledger's untimely demise, as it built an incredible amount of hype around it. In any case, I'll see TDKR regardless of my fears about its quality.

Definitely, it was the right movie at the right time, and I don't think TDKR will enjoy that luxury regardless of its quality.

Truder said:
maybe not of all time.. but its probably my favorite action movie of all time.

That sounds more like an exception than the rule, like you're not really a big fan of action movies, because there's much better in that regard.

Griffith said:
The Dark Knight Rises shoots
FOOZBALL
!? Apparently it was a real Rogues Gallery. :carcus:

This is my favorite quote, from
infamous meathead quarterback/rapist Ben Roethlisberger
:
Gee, ya think?

Anyway, it's pretty neat, especially a particular someone they brought out of retirement, but for those already familiar with these people it's going to be kind of surreal to see.

Yeah I had the opportunity to play an extra in this scene due to the fact that one of my college teachers still has connections in the movie business, I passed on it since it sounded so lame.....I wonder if they'll ever make a good Batman movie?

Griffith

Skull Knight said:
Yeah I had the opportunity to play an extra in this scene due to the fact that one of my college teachers still has connections in the movie business, I passed on it since it sounded so lame.....I wonder if they'll ever make a good Batman movie?

You suck.

I second that!

Btw, have you guys seen the latest videos and pictures of
the Tumbler + Cat-Woman on the bike + Batman in his plane
riding through the city they're filming at?

Griffith said:
You suck.

I guess I just have high standards when it comes to comic movies....which are rarely done right in my opinion. ESPECIALLY Batman.....I think the only one that was ever any good was Batman Returns. When I saw the more recent Batman movie, where he had the retarded robot voice I had to stop watching it was just soooo bad.....

Griffith

Skull Knight said:
I guess I just have high standards when it comes to comic movies....which are rarely done right in my opinion. ESPECIALLY Batman.....I think the only one that was ever any good was Batman Returns.

My comment was directed at your general stick-in-the-mudness (it'd serve you right if your professor never gives you another casting call =). Also, Batman Returns isn't even a very good movie, let alone a good comic movie or the best Batman, so it doesn't sound like your standards are so high and refined. Case in point:

Skull Knight said:
When I saw the more recent Batman movie, where he had the retarded robot voice I had to stop watching it was just soooo bad.....

Yeeeeeah. :schierke:

Here's my rationale for the Batman movie hierarchy, since I didn't rate them based on batvoice:

Griffith said:
I got it in my head that Batman Begins might technically be the best Bats movie, which upon reexamination, two boring hours later, was a notion best left to my imagination after not seeing it for a while. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is still awesome, when you can combine elements of classic movies like Citizen Kane, Casablanca and others with Batman the animated series, you win. I'm convinced Batman 1989 is still the best Batman movie; best Batman, costume, mobile, Joker, music, cinematography, mythology, etc. It's the perfect self-contained Batman movie. Returns was lot worse for the ware, a serious downgrade from the original in just about every way, it almost makes the direction the last two went in less surprising, as it was on its way with that one (also more understandable that Keaton bolted when he did). Forever is more terribly unwatchable than I remembered, and I remembered it mainly for that. Batman & Robin... Fuck No. As for The Dark Knight, it's still the most serious and probably best film ever made about a super hero... just not the best Batman movie. =)

So, no surprises here, the holy trinity remains Batman, Mask of the Phantasm, and The Dark Knight.

Honorable mention to the 1966 movie. BAM! :guts:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Skull Knight said:
I think the only one that was ever any good was Batman Returns.
Griffith said:
Also, Batman Returns isn't even a very good movie, let alone a good comic movie or the best Batman, so it doesn't sound like your standards are so high and refined.

At the time, I really enjoyed Batman Returns. Then again, I was 8. I liked Tim Burton's first Batman film, but everything after that stank. Compared to The Dark Knight, Batman Begins doesn't seem that good anymore, and I really liked it when it came out (of course, after the two Schumacher turds, anything would seem like a work of genius).

I watched Mask of the Phantasm about a year ago (it was about $9.00 on Amazon.com at the time and I urge anyone who considers themselves a fan of Batman to pick it up on DVD, it's well worth it) and I have to say that compared to the other Batman films, it's the best. That scene where Bruce is begging his dead parents to release him from his obligations as Batman still gives me chills. So good. :guts:

Griffith

Rhombaad said:
At the time, I really enjoyed Batman Returns. Then again, I was 8. I liked Tim Burton's first Batman film, but everything after that stank.

Same here, but watching it recently everything about it was surprisingly inferior to the original considering most the same principles were involved, excluding the original screenplay writer. Which makes sense since most of the problems are script related; plot, characterizations, dialogue... it just doesn't hold up. I don't know if I should be more surprised all that stuff was so much worse in this one, or that it was so much better in the first.

Rhombaad said:
Compared to The Dark Knight, Batman Begins doesn't seem that good anymore, and I really liked it when it came out (of course, after the two Schumacher turds, anything would seem like a work of genius).

Good extended take on what you're saying above (as well as a nice lesson on... well, I won't spoil it =):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up9EXGyX1To

Rhombaad said:
I watched Mask of the Phantasm about a year ago (it was about $9.00 on Amazon.com at the time and I urge anyone who considers themselves a fan of Batman to pick it up on DVD, it's well worth it) and I have to say that compared to the other Batman films, it's the best. That scene where Bruce is begging his dead parents to release him from his obligations as Batman still gives me chills. So good. :guts:

Yeah, it's great, and for being the "kids cartoon" Batman movie it's probably the most mature of any of them.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
frankencowx said:
Good man good man...

I would also like to attribute Elfman's score to the hottness of Burton's Batman, for pioneering the most iconic super hero score (to me anyways). For some reason Batman isn't Batman without it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mdV50dDYm4

What is Batman without this??

That reminds me of my favorite scene out of any Batman movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99M7aK9Xrjc

It combines the perfect atmosphere, the mystery, the perfect editing, the amazing soundtrack that moves along to every detail, the cinematography, the set, the perfect Batmobile, the acting (the seriousness and awkwardness of silent Keaton in this scene alone puts to the ground every other Batman).

Griffith

NightCrawler said:
That reminds me of my favorite scene out of any Batman movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99M7aK9Xrjc

It combines the perfect atmosphere, the mystery, the perfect editing, the amazing soundtrack that moves along to every detail, the cinematography, the set, the perfect Batmobile, the acting (the seriousness and awkwardness of silent Keaton in this scene alone puts to the ground every other Batman).

Good call, that scene always stood out as pure Batman whimsy. But seriously, this is just as good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZicrp_p4BE#t=4m26s

:troll:

X

Xem

The theme from the original Batman movie plays at the Batman ride at a local theme park here since when I was a kid and it alone sets the Batman mood perfectly. I don't think I ever truly realized how amazing it was until I was standing in line and felt "Gothamy" like Batman might come flyin' by at any minute.

update: Catwoman has ears! :slan:

Article titled "Is This Giant Metal Thing Bane's Doomsday Device In The Dark Knight Rises?" with pictures

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Is-This-Giant-Metal-Thing-Bane-s-Doomsday-Device-In-The-Dark-Knight-Rises-26955.html

X

Xem

Chris Nolan talked a little bit about the movie, starting with saying the movie takes place EIGHT YEARS after the previous film. Here he talks about Bane,

http://movies.ign.com/articles/121/1213032p1.html said:
"He's brutal. Brutal. He's a big dude who's incredibly clinical, in the fact that he has a result-based and oriented fighting style. It's not about fighting. It's about carnage. The style is heavy-handed, heavy-footed, it's nasty. Anything from small-joint manipulation to crushing skulls, crushing rib cages, stamping on shins and knees and necks and collarbones and snapping heads off and tearing his fists through chests, ripping out spinal columns. He is a terrorist in mentality as well as brutal action."

Sounds pretty fuckin' awesome to me. Looks like he's on the right track....

Not sure if we'll be seeing venom or not in the movie,

http://movies.ign.com/articles/121/1213032p1.html said:
"He was injured early in his story. he's suffering from pain and needs gas to survive. He can't survive the pain without the mask. The pipes from the mask go back along his jawline and feed into the thing at his back, where there are two cannisters."

which I personally have no issue with. I can with or without it. I'm just wonderin' what the hell Batman was doing for 8 years. :femto:

Here's the rest of the article. And one more quote,

a prologue to the film will be shown in select IMAX cinemas on December 21, 2011. According to Nolan, the footage is "basically the first six, seven minutes of the film", a sort of "introduction to Bane, and a taste of the rest of the film."

All I gotta say is: :beast:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I wish they were going the venom route instead of this mysterious gas, but it's not a deal-breaker for me. Just reading the little that you posted of what Nolan said about the film has got me excited for it again. :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
I wish they were going the venom route instead of this mysterious gas, but it's not a deal-breaker for me. Just reading the little that you posted of what Nolan said about the film has got me excited for it again. :guts:

Well maybe the gas itself could be Venom, you know? I want to stay hopeful in that regard.

Griffith

I've read some of the "leaked" descriptions of the prologue under the assumption they're total BS. One thing that rubs with the eight year gap is the idea of Bane breaking Batty's back as a bridge between movies. Well... it makes sense for Batman to wait years after that, not so much for Bane though.

X

Xem

Griffith said:
I've read some of the "leaked" descriptions of the prologue under the assumption they're total BS. One thing that rubs with the eight year gap is the idea of Bane breaking Batty's back as a bridge between movies. Well... it makes sense for Batman to wait years after that, not so much for Bane though.

I sorta hope that's not the case. For one I think it's a tad cliche'd now, a similar concept is also used in Batman Begins. Bruce gets "defeated" by Falcone then disappears and returns what like 8 years later and defeats him? I'm starting to think while Bats will most likely get his ass handed to him by Bane in the movie, he might not be the one he breaks. I thought this during TDK when Joker had 'assassinated' Gordon, like Nolan had switched out Robin and/or one of the other members of the Gordon family the Joker actually has killed in the comics. Of course this turn out to be the case for Gyllenhaal and Two-Face to an extent.

The 8 year gap I hope is probably filled with Batman either retired or back 'discovering' himself somehow...

Either way I'm sure that's got a connection to the introduction of Catwoman. We'll see...

edit: I also wonder if Nolan was dropping any clues in his interview. "crushing skulls, snapping heads off and tearing his fists through chests, ripping out spinal columns" Are we actually gonna see any of that? :beast:

Some of the comments are debating if the rating might end on as R, but it's too large a franchise and it's too easy to edit down to PG-13.... sadly.

There's news that a 6 min prologue from The Dark Knight Rises showing possibly Bane's story will be shown in front of Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol on IMAX theaters. Here's a list of theaters it's scheduled to be shown at -

Via Nolan Fans
“Our experience on The Dark Knight shooting and projecting IMAX 15 perf 65mm/70mm film was inspiring. The immersive quality of the image goes beyond any other filmmaking tool available, and in revisiting Gotham, we were determined to shoot even more of the movie in this unique format. Giving the fans an early look at an IMAX sequence is a great way to draw attention to what I believe will be an incredible way to experience our story when it comes out next summer.” – Christopher Nolan

Austin, TX || IMAX Theater Austin
Boston, MA || Jordan’s IMAX
Boston, MA || IMAX 3D Theatre in Reading
Calgary, AB || Scotiabank Theatre Chinook 16 + IMAX
Chantilly, VA || Washington, DC Udvar-Hazy Center IMAX
Chicago, IL || Navy Pier IMAX Theatre
Des Moines, IA || SCI IMAX Dome Theater Des
Detroit, MI || Henry Ford IMAX
Edmonton, AB || Scotiabank Theatre Edmonton + IMAX
Harrisburg, PA || The Whitaker Center for Science & the Arts IMAX
Houston, TX || Houston Marq*e Stadium 22 + IMAX
Indianapolis, IN || White River IMAX
Los Angeles, CA || Irvine Spectrum 20 + IMAX
Los Angeles, CA || RAVE 18 + IMAX
Los Angeles, CA || Ontario Palace Stadium 22 + IMAX
Los Angeles, CA || Citywalk Stadium 19 with IMAX
Madison, WI || Star 18 Fitchburg with IMAX
Miami, FL || AutoNation IMAX
Minneapolis, MN || Great Clips IMAX
Montreal, QC || Cinema Banque Scotia Montreal + IMAX
Nashville,TN || Opry Mills Stadium 20 + IMAX
New York, NY || Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX
New York, NY || Palisades IMAX
Omaha, NE || Star Cinema 16 with IMAX
Orlando, FL || Pointe Orlando Stadium 20 + IMAX
Ottawa, ON || Silvercity Gloucester + IMAX
Palm Springs, CA || Desert IMAX Theatre
Philadelphia, PA || IMAX & the Tropicana
Philadelphia, PA || Tuttleman IMAX – Franklin Institute
Phoenix, AZ || Arizona Mills 25 with IMAX
Providence, RI || Providence Place 16 with IMAX
Quebec City, QC || IMAX Le Theatre At Quebec
Sacramento, CA || Esquire IMAX
San Antonio, TX || IMAX at RiverCenter
San Francisco, CA || Metreon 16 with IMAX & ETX
Seattle, WA || Boeing IMAX – Pacific Science Center
Tampa, FL || Museum of Science and Industry (MOSI)
Toronto, ON || Coliseum 12 Mississauga + IMAX
Toronto, ON || Scotiabank Theatre Toronto + IMAX
Toronto, ON || Colossus 18 Woodbridge + IMAX
Vancouver, BC || Colossus Langley + IMAX
Vancouver, BC || Silvercity Riverport 18 + IMAX

Below is a list of the theaters in the UK in which the Prologue of The Dark Knight Rises will be revealed on December 21st:
UK || BFI London
UK || National Media Museum IMAX Bradford
UK || Glasgow Science Centre IMAX Cinema
UK || Odeon Manchester IMAX @ The Printworks

dark-knight-rises-bane-tom-hardy-31-460x600.jpg

I just booked my ticket for MI: Ghost Protocol's midnight (Thursday night/ Friday morning) screening at Lincoln Center's IMAX. Can't wait!

Griffith

dwarfkicker said:
Awesome poster for the movie:

http://movies.ign.com/dor/objects/961205/batman-3/images/TDKR-poster2-broken-bat_1323550050.html

Indeed, but why isn't this called The Dark Knight Falls again?

Top Bottom