The Dark Knight Rises

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Proj2501 said:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/05/nolan-the-dark-knight-rises-is-a-revolutionary-epic
Chris Nolan said:
It's my attempt to get as close to making a Fritz Lang film as I could. It's also more in the mould of Doctor Zhivago, or A Tale Of Two Cities, which is a historical epic with all kinds of great storytelling taking place during the French Revolution.

Well, at least someone thinks it's going to be good. :ganishka:

Actually, I hadn't really thought of it that way. Nice to know it's not short on ambition.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
So according to all the info we got, here's what i think will be the plot more or less (definitely inspired by DKReturns, there were a couple of lines in the most recent footage that reminded me of it, specially when the cop tells the rookie he's in for a show tonight, straight out of DKR):

Batman has been in retirement for years (as Alfred says in the trailers, he's no longer the Batman). He is forced to don the cape and mask again because crime and gangs are getting out of hand. He faces the gang leader and gets horrifically beaten and injured. He heals, realizes his mistakes, faces the gang leader again, and takes him out. Bats dies, Alfred dies, and at the end, we learn he has only faked his own death, and has taken a new role as a leader for a new army dedicated to the symbol of Batman. Batman lives on as a symbol of resistance, the man still fights, but now as a leader. Hence, the end of the trilogy and the saga.
Insert somewhere Catwoman's story :p

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Griffith said:
Oh please. The build up to this film should be a study in relative expectations and human fickleness. This movie, the follow up to most artistically/critically/financially successful comic book film in history, is probably going to be in the 95th percentile of super hero movies, or even movies in general, yet everyone's just shitting on it constantly like it's not just going to be a relative disappointment but the WORST THING EVAR! Based on recent history, it's probably going to end up being better than currently favored fanboy fever-dream, the naturally unreleased, Prometheus. They should hand this franchise over to Paul WS Anderson or something, then everyone can come back to earth and stop complaining about the conditions of the penthouse.

My bitch? Bane looks too small. That's it, and I'll trade that for a superior performance.

He apparently also disagrees with you about the nature of the "Nolan Universe." I'm going to go ahead and agree with that over the studio's cheesy DiCaprio-Riddler push. The most telling thing about that story is even after the success of TDK, the studio was STILL trying to dictate the direction of the franchise based on such stupid box office formulas... Get ready for Reynolds! Our hopes are answered, we'll finally be able to put this depressing chapter in Batman history behind us and move back to Schumachian glory.

I agree with you on everything. I've been anticipating Prometheus moreso than DKR, but I know for a fact that DKR will disappoint me less than Prometheus will.

Also, yeah, everyone complaining about how horrible DKR is going to be is just ridiculous. I think a lot of the members of this board have taken the incorrect cues from the admins about how they should feel about the movie.

NightCrawler

I have no anticipation for this because Nolan's Batman is really meh (I still think Burton's first Batman movie is the best). TDK had some life because of Ledger, and BB had some really great first 30min. The rest just leaves me completely emotionless.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
I have no anticipation for this because Nolan's Batman is really meh (I still think Burton's first Batman movie is the best). TDK had some life because of Ledger, and BB had some really great first 30min. The rest just leaves me completely emotionless.
That's pretty much exactly how I've felt throughout this trilogy. Enjoyed beginning of Begins, Ledger's portions of Dark Knight. But the remainder of those films left quite a lot to be desired.

I'll certainly see this movie, because it seems like it'll be a spectacle regardless, and I'm curious to see what note Nolan ends it on, but I can't say that I'm counting down the days to it.

NightCrawler said:

So does the first Batman leave you emotional? It does me when the camera pans up the alley to Elfman's score..

Griffith

Aazealh said:
:ganishka: Ambitious indeed.

It's the greatest film since Metropolis!

NightCrawler said:
I have no anticipation for this because Nolan's Batman is really meh (I still think Burton's first Batman movie is the best).

Have always agreed with the latter, but not the former. Like I alluded to, we've been totally spoiled. I'm looking forward to Ryan Reynolds' Batman now. It'll be expectation recalibrating poetic justice. I hope they get Zach Snyder to direct. :guts:

Walter said:
That's pretty much exactly how I've felt throughout this trilogy. Enjoyed beginning of Begins, Ledger's portions of Dark Knight. But the remainder of those films left quite a lot to be desired.

Really? I agree totally on Begins, but Dark Knight left a lot to be desired compared to what exactly? Did you feel that way when you first saw it? (I checked, you had your reservations, but still gave it a 4 out of 5 =). I feel like its competing with its own legacy at this point rather than comparable films in the genre. If anything, in retrospect Ledger's scenes stand out to me as not being as great as everyone initially thought (some are kind of embarrassing even, but maybe you feel that about the whole thing). They just get a pass as being acceptably cool to appreciate in a way the rest of the film is experiencing a backlash. "Oh, Nolan's Dark Knight... SO overrated." I'll say it again, it's so "overrated" that it's actually underrated now.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I must have been giving in to peer pressure with that 4/5... It's been about 4 years since I saw Dark Knight, so the following is based on my memory of the experience: I distinctly remember leaving the theater with my wife and we both agreed: "Kinda meh" despite all the hype. It had to do with the final hour or so of the movie, which seemed to drag on from climax after climax, to the point where it didn't have any cohesion anymore. I was just waiting for the movie to end. Also, I remember the movie being less about Batman, to the point where he just felt like the glue that held things together, rather than being a driving force in the movie. And then he went to Japan for some reason near the beginning?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Really? I agree totally on Begins, but Dark Knight left a lot to be desired compared to what exactly? Did you feel that way when you first saw it? (I checked, you had your reservations, but still gave it a 4 out of 5 =). I feel like its competing with its own legacy at this point rather than comparable films in the genre. If anything, in retrospect Ledger's scenes stand out to me as not being as great as everyone initially thought (some are kind of embarrassing even, but maybe you feel that about the whole thing). They just get a pass as being acceptably cool to appreciate in a way the rest of the film is experiencing a backlash. "Oh, Nolan's Dark Knight... SO overrated." I'll say it again, it's so "overrated" that it's actually underrated now.

I was rather underwhelmed by Begins and TDK, as you know. I wouldn't say that TDK was a bad movie or anything, but I didn't find it very good either. Just average I guess (I do think Ledger made a fine Joker though). I almost feel bad for saying this but I probably wouldn't "rate" it higher than Iron Man 2, even though it aims to be very high brow by comparison. Kind of like what Nolan said in that IGN article, comparing the third movie to Doctor Zhivago and so on... It feels like he doesn't want to admit he's making a blockbuster based on a comic book, so he puts a pseudo-intellectual coat of paint on it to make it look super deep (just like Inception!! :rakshas:). The joke's on me though, because I'm now more curious to see it than I've ever been, just in light of those prestigious references. But still not curious enough to bother going to the theater. :iva:

NightCrawler

The major problem with these movies (except for the usually atrocious third act), is Bale as Batman. I don't know if it's the direction he gest, but he makes one of the most interesting comic heroes into a bore.
Nolan also has a lot of issues with pacing and in establishing mood and atmosphere.

Everyone just go and watch Prometheus and forget about this. It's gonna fuel a lot of discussion, it's going to be the new Alien 3 :ganishka:

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
hellrasinbrasin said:
I can't wait for the inevitable shit-storm that will open up after seeing the
1st post Nolan/Bale film featuring Ryan Reynolds as the lead character...

I think people will be ignoring that to the point that it gets buried.

Griffith

Walter said:
I must have been giving in to peer pressure with that 4/5... It's been about 4 years since I saw Dark Knight, so the following is based on my memory of the experience: I distinctly remember leaving the theater with my wife and we both agreed: "Kinda meh" despite all the hype. It had to do with the final hour or so of the movie, which seemed to drag on from climax after climax, to the point where it didn't have any cohesion anymore. I was just waiting for the movie to end. Also, I remember the movie being less about Batman, to the point where he just felt like the glue that held things together, rather than being a driving force in the movie. And then he went to Japan for some reason near the beginning?

I can't put too much stock in your saw it once 4 years ago with major hype analysis, but you're right it was too big, but I didn't find it disorienting or anything. I like your initial review better, which is pretty spot on with the movie's issues. The thing is though... they don't make it a bad movie, just flawed like any other. I've seen it a couple of times since under different circumstances (like when I went over all the Batman movies again) and continue to fluctuate between impressed and "it wasn't as good as I remembered." But, that's because it was good enough to have even greater potential, and again, its not reaching its higher potential is a far cry from it being bad. At some point we can't let the perfect be the enemy of the good, and... The Dark Knight is apparently where I draw that line. =)

For the record, I thought the falling action from the Joker's speech to Gordon's was perfect.

Aazealh said:
I was rather underwhelmed by Begins and TDK, as you know. I wouldn't say that TDK was a bad movie or anything, but I didn't find it very good either. Just average I guess (I do think Ledger made a fine Joker though). I almost feel bad for saying this but I probably wouldn't "rate" it higher than Iron Man 2, even though it aims to be very high brow by comparison.

I wouldn't go so far as to compare it to a shitty advertisement for The Avengers, but I would agree with that as far as the original Iron Man goes, which was a good grown up superhero movie without being pretentious. My point though is that this isn't a good movie on the superhero scale, but just as a film. The fact that it was an "average" adult movie that had legitimate critic/award show buzz (to the point it actually spurred the expansion of the best picture category) instead of being something half for kids is significant. It's like someone tried to make a serious crime thriller like Heat but with fucking Batman. That it's not Goodfellas doesn't make it "meh" to me. I feel like that kind of effort should be acknowledged instead of being relegated to the same status as most of the shit we get (Berserk the animated movie!), even if it's not for you. Otherwise, we are just complaining about anything and everything and deserve what we get (I repeat, Ryan Reynolds!).

What I think is interesting going forward is if we ever get a Batman movie more in the vein of adaptations like Spider-Man, Iron Man and The Avengers; basically, Batman more as he looks in the comics in a grey and blue costume. I think what filmmakers find challenging about that is making him believable as a normal person doing these dressed like that, which is why Superman can just wear blue tights on the big screen and Batman can't (I think the trick is just to do it, really). That's why depictions of him have fluctuated between camp and dread seriousness with him in body armor.

Aazealh said:
Kind of like what Nolan said in that IGN article, comparing the third movie to Doctor Zhivago and so on... It feels like he doesn't want to admit he's making a blockbuster based on a comic book, so he puts a pseudo-intellectual coat of paint on it to make it look super deep (just like Inception!! :rakshas:). The joke's on me though, because I'm now more curious to see it than I've ever been, just in light of those prestigious references. But still not curious enough to bother going to the theater. :iva:

Haha, same here. And yeah, for a guy that clearly is going for GENIUS here, he sure is ham-fisted at times (the whole boat scenario in the last movie, yeesh).

NightCrawler said:
The major problem with these movies (except for the usually atrocious third act), is Bale as Batman. I don't know if it's the direction he gest, but he makes one of the most interesting comic heroes into a bore.
Nolan also has a lot of issues with pacing and in establishing mood and atmosphere.

Yeah, but let me just say this in defense of...

NightCrawler said:
Everyone just go and watch Prometheus and forget about this. It's gonna fuel a lot of discussion, it's going to be the new Alien 3 :ganishka:

...never mind, we all have our blind spots. :slan:

H

hellrasinbrasin

The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 Fall 2012 look for the Trailer on the DVD to the Superman VS. The Elite film.

Source: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=60969

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Tom Hardy got a pretty nice tan with his Bane-mask on.

eyhYM.jpg

Griffith

Why does he look more like Bane when he's not in the Bane costume? I think it's because Bale in the Batsuit kind of dwarfs him.

Anyway, I think I found the fix for Wally's Dark Knight viewing experience:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR04HS2G8E4

:carcus:

I'm not going to discredit Nolan's Batman movies. When they came out I thought they were wicked. Now they seemed to over stay their welcome. As much as I like the DK, DKR just is missing all the marks. From its title, to villain, and just plain underwhelming promotion. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised. A good movie is a good movie. Nolan has impressed me before, I feel he deserves the benefit of the doubt. I could say the same for Raimi and Spiderman 3 though... :-/

Griffith said:
Oh please. The build up to this film should be a study in relative expectations and human fickleness. This movie, the follow up to most artistically/critically/financially successful comic book film in history, is probably going to be in the 95th percentile of super hero movies, or even movies in general, yet everyone's just shitting on it constantly like it's not just going to be a relative disappointment but the WORST THING EVAR! Based on recent history, it's probably going to end up being better than currently favored fanboy fever-dream, the naturally unreleased, Prometheus. They should hand this franchise over to Paul WS Anderson or something, then everyone can come back to earth and stop complaining about the conditions of the penthouse.

Artistically successful? I think not. Of course art is a matter of opinion, but to say the film is the MOST artistically successful is QUITE an exaggeration. It fits the generic Hollywood superhero formula to a T. I find it offensive that you would consider it to be in the 95 percentile of movies in general. Perhaps it could be in that percentage with the films of today (which isn't saying much), but to say that it stands on the same level as the cinematic classics is just ridiculous and..."fanboyish" as much as I hate that term. As for the critical/financial success, all I can say is Hollywood has spent years turning the public into simpletons that will eat shit with a smile...so I'm not surprised by the film's "success" at all.

Griffith

Turkitage said:
Oh god.. that youtube video was horrible.

It ain't MST3K, but I felt like it warmed up by the middle. :sad:

Skull Knight said:
Artistically successful? I think not. Of course art is a matter of opinion, but to say the film is the MOST artistically successful is QUITE an exaggeration. It fits the generic Hollywood superhero formula to a T. I find it offensive that you would consider it to be in the 95 percentile of movies in general. Perhaps it could be in that percentage with the films of today (which isn't saying much), but to say that it stands on the same level as the cinematic classics is just ridiculous and..."fanboyish" as much as I hate that term.

renegade.gif

I can see why you'd be uncomfortable with that word. Anyway, I said that compared to other comic book/super hero films of its kind (don't come back with Ghost World or something please), not "that it stands on the same level as the cinematic classics" as you so ridiculously hyperbolized/distorted my statement. So, thanks for the "fanboy" lecture based on your reading comprehension mishap. I especially appreciated the pablum about art and the state of American cinema with the not so subtle subtext of, "NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY BATSMAN! :judo: :mozgus:"

Skull Knight said:
As for the critical/financial success, all I can say is Hollywood has spent years turning the public into simpletons that will eat shit with a smile...so I'm not surprised by the film's "success" at all.

Now there's an original thought, but absolutely correct.

I miss Skully. Why won't he come back? :SK:

Griffith said:
It ain't MST3K anymore, but I felt like it warmed up by the middle. :sad:

renegade.gif

I can see why you'd be uncomfortable with that word. Anyway, I said that compared to other comic book/super hero films of its kind (don't come back with Ghost World or something please), not "that it stands on the same level as the cinematic classics" as you so ridiculously hyperbolized/distorted my statement. So, thanks for the "fanboy" lecture based on your reading comprehension mishap. I especially appreciated the pablum about art and the state of American cinema with the not so subtle subtext of, "NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY BATSMAN! :judo: :mozgus:"

Now there's an original thought, but absolutely correct.

I miss the real Skully. Why doesn't he come back? :SK:

I figured you'd bring up the Berserk movie comments....but the difference is I never claimed it would be in the 95 percentile or the most successful.....my saying it was flawed should have tipped you off there. It wasn't a reading comprehension mishap...maybe it was a wording mishap? :guts: You did say...."or even movies in general" did you not?

Griffith

Skull Knight said:
I figured you'd bring up the Berserk movie comments....but the difference is I never claimed it would be in the 95 percentile or the most successful.....

Well, nobody would say that because it's a terrible failure. I guess the Japanese audience is more sophisticated.

Skull Knight said:
my saying it was flawed should have tipped you off there.

That's quite a generous understatement. Basically defending with faint criticism.

Skull Knight said:
It wasn't a reading comprehension mishap...maybe it was a wording mishap? :guts: You did say...."or even movies in general" did you not?

I did, but movies in general simply meant movies coming out in general. You jumped to conclusions with the all-time classics thing (which would be like the 99th percentile =). I really just meant its going to be well made, top production team/values, so lets not pretend like it's a Uwe Boll movie or we're so above it. And hey, we don't know yet, DKR could be a flawed masterpiece like the Berserk movie! :iva:

Griffith said:
Well, nobody would say that because it's a terrible failure. I guess the Japanese audience is more sophisticated.
It was simply...okay....by no means even close to great.....but it doesn't have to be black or white....there can exist a gray area. As for the audience....not if they said it was in the 95 percentile! :ganishka:

Griffith said:
I did, but movies in general simply meant movies coming out in general. You jumped to conclusions with the all-time classics thing (which would be like the 99th percentile =). I really just meant is going to be well made, top production team/values, so lets not pretend like it's a Uwe Boll movie or we're so above it. And hey, we don't know yet, DKR could be a flawed masterpiece like the Berserk movie! :iva:
Hopefully you can see that by leaving just a few words out of that sentence, one would "jump" to such a conclusion. Also I know you're being sarcastic, but despite the fact that I enjoyed some aspects of the Berserk movie, I wouldn't call it a flawed masterpiece either....we both know it's not.

Top Bottom