Start pissing your Interpants... but don't tell anyone I said that!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/21/technology/social-media-history-becomes-a-new-job-hurdle.html

Companies have long used criminal background checks, credit reports and even searches on Google and LinkedIn to probe the previous lives of prospective employees. Now, some companies are requiring job candidates to also pass a social media background check.

A year-old start-up, Social Intelligence, scrapes the Internet for everything prospective employees may have said or done online in the past seven years.

Then it assembles a dossier with examples of professional honors and charitable work, along with negative information that meets specific criteria: online evidence of racist remarks; references to drugs; sexually explicit photos, text messages or videos; flagrant displays of weapons or bombs and clearly identifiable violent activity.

You know the old joke about how our Internet activity will render us all unfit to run for office? Well, that day has arrived! :troll:

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
This has been going on for quite some time now. A number of my friends have already encountered this with their current employers. Granted 5 out of 6 of them are lawyers. Gotta love the system baby! :SK:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Times like these make me cherish my generic name. :carcus:

But honestly, if a company doesn't want to hire me because they're scared off by something I did or said on the Internet, I don't want to work for them anyway.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I know this isn't a new practice, but I feel like it's certainly evolving with companies now specializing in actively keeping records of everything you've done online the past seven years. Hell, even in The Bourne Identity the CIA only tracked that girl's life back six years! :magni: :rakshas:

Also, I hope nobody can tie my rather unique name to this account. Sometimes I read things I've said on here in old posts and I'd fire myself! :ganishka:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I knew making sure a Google search on my name returned no results was the smart thing to do. :griffnotevil:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
I'm changing my name.

ohno.jpg

Oh god I'm so screwed!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
This reminds me of the whole 'watch what you say on Facebook cos your Boss might read your status' haha.
Understandably because that's exactly what this is.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
My boss is a friend of mine on Facebook and his status updates are far more inappropriate than mine. :ganishka:

Top Bottom