Breaking Bad

Griffith said:
I just wanted to add that the answer to both questions really lies with Walter himself. For all his brilliance, his ego can't match it, and he's not the ultra-rational pragmatist he thinks he is, but a totally volatile asshole that can't be predicted, trusted, or counted on and burns bridges to boot.

Absolutely; there wouldn't be any show at all if he didn't act recklessly.
The ultra-pragmatic thing to do would have been to accept the job from his rich friends and then ask them to look after his family once he was gone and not even bother with meth at all. But even if we disregard getting into the drug business to begin with, his emotions still get in the way. He should have killed Emilio and his partner immediately. When Jesse threatened to destroy Hank, Walt should have had him assassinated. If he missed that opportunity, then he should have run Jesse over instead of the drug dealers.

He was rational when he told Jesse to threaten and intimidate the meth addicts who robbed him. But afterwards he got greedy and cocky when he decided to expand into new territory and piss off large and well armed cartels that have done far worse than smash someone's head with an ATM machine.

Saul has been of great help to him, but he and Jesse really should have just killed off Badger.

If Walt's chief motivation was to live as long as possible and provide for his family, those are all things he could have done differently.

Not accepting his rich friends' help bothered me at first. I knew he was proud, but it seemed like a pure gesture of good will. When I found out that he felt they got rich off his hard work, his rejection was still not rational, but at least understandable.

News we pretty much knew but it's confirmed now -

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/04/06/breaking-bad-final-season-2/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ew%2Fhollywoodinsider+%28Entertainment+Weekly%2FEW.com%27s%3A+Hollywood+Insider%29

The question of whether AMC will indeed split the final season of Breaking Bad is close to an official verdict. Emmy-winning series star Bryan Cranston says AMC will break the award-winning drama’s final 16-episode season into two separate runs, as reports have speculated for months. “We’re splitting it,” says Cranston, who’s currently shooting the fifth season premiere in New Mexico. “We’re going to shoot the first eight, then take a four-month production break, then the rest will air next year.” The network has not announced a premiere date for Breaking Bad, though actors on the show say the drama will return in July.

AMC and Sony Pictures TV have maintained radio silence on the show’s return and distribution plan. A studio spokesperson says the four-month production hiatus is “one scenario” that’s being considered. The network wants to divide the final 16 hour so it has a strong summer drama airing this year and the next (it would also presumably allow Breaking Bad to be eligible for two award-season cycles). With Breaking Bad production underway and summer right around the corner, obviously the schedule should get firmed up soon, though AMC has shown a willingness to engage in some production brinksmanship in the past.

Cranston, who’s directing the upcoming April 11 episode of ABC’s Modern Family, is expected to direct the ninth episode of Breaking Bad’s final season (the 2013 premiere, assuming all goes according to plan). “We pick up right where we left off,” Cranston says of the fifth season opener. “We’re cleaning up the pieces from last season’s huge ordeal where
Gus Fring was forced to meet his maker.
It’s not as easy as Walter thought. And as we’ve discovered over the years, you don’t really know who Walter White is. I’m still discovering who he is and I’m trying to allow myself to be open to him going darker and darker. There’s physical danger to himself and his family, plus there’s the emotional danger due to his anger and hubris. It’s about the evil that men do and where that takes him
.”

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Fine by me. As long as they're not extending the series beyond its original scope for the purposes of $$$, no problems here.

You should put some of that last underline portion in spoiler tags.

I'd prefer if they did it in one burst because waiting for installments isn't much fun.

But I'm glad that they are assuring that the show does not stay long enough to wear out its welcome or dilute the story.

Too many TV shows have ruined their legacy by sticking around too long *cough The Office *cough.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Forget about seasons, scehdules and episode counts, this is all I needed to hear:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/04/06/breaking-bad-final-season-2/ said:
“We pick up right where we left off,” Cranston says of the fifth season opener. “We’re cleaning up the pieces from last season’s huge ordeal
where Gus Fring was forced to meet his maker
. It’s not as easy as Walter thought. And as we’ve discovered over the years, you don’t really know who Walter White is. I’m still discovering who he is and I’m trying to allow myself to be open to him going darker and darker. There’s physical danger to himself and his family, plus there’s the emotional danger due to his anger and hubris. It’s about the evil that men do and where that takes him.”

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
HYPED
schd7.jpg

Griffith

territory.jpg

Now, should we analyze it like the Zapruder film?

waltmadsml.jpg

For example, notice the specific emphasis on it being the fifth season, not the final season? :carcus:

And Aaron Paul, "It's definitely the craziest one... as of yet." :daiba:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
Teaser for Season 5 - http://bcove.me/dznyu4v5
Looked like the side of a house had a tarp over it in the shot that we saw. Could just be nothing, or could be someone drove a car through a house to get to Walt. :guts:

I'm excited about the next season. It feels surreal that it's sort of right around the corner.

Griffith

Walter said:
Looked like the side of a house had a tarp over it in the shot that we saw. Could just be nothing, or could be someone drove a car through a house to get to Walt. :guts:

I keep meaning to over-analyze it for details like that, but just haven't gotten around it.

Walter said:
I'm excited about the next season. It feels surreal that it's sort of right around the corner.

Surreal you say?

bb01.gif

bb02.gif

bb03.gif

bb04.gif

bb05.gif

bb06.gif

bb08.gif

bb09.gif

bb10gif

bb11.gif

bb12.gif

http://breakinggifs.com/bg/

Griffith

A few days old, but bears posting:

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Breaking-Bad-Season-5-Premiere-Date-Set-AMC-Sets-Return-Date-Hell-Wheels-42732.html said:
Breaking Bad Season 5 will debut Sunday, July 15 at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT. It's been rumored that the last season of the series would be split into two parts and AMC has confirmed this. Eight episodes of the 16-episode season will air this summer, starting in July, and the other eight episodes will air Summer 2013. I expect Episode 8 to leave us hanging somehow.

So, the good news, season 5 starts July 15th! The bad news, it's only 8 episodes and then we have to wait another year for what amounts to another short season. Hey AMC, cal it whatever you want, but a year break doesn't make a split season, it's not even a season, it's TWO seasons! I feel like they're determined to ruin the Breaking Bad experience before it's over, and just when you thought there wasn't enough time/episodes left, they come up with this shit. Are they trying to make up for screwing Cranston out of a potential 4th consecutive Emmy so channel favorite Mad Men's Jon Hamm could not win again? Fuck you, AMC.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The set is very interesting. I wonder about that... Cooking again, in an abandoned warehouse?

Griffith

I like the direction this is pointing. :guts:

Groovy Metal Fist said:
How much money does he have left at this point? He's had so many major setbacks.

He had plenty at the end of season 4 actually, just not enough to pay the exorbitant disappearing fee for his entire family. Perhaps enough capital to reinvest in the business. :carcus:

Man I hate DISH Network. Not only does my cable go out when it's slightly cloudy outside but now they're dropping AMC too. You heard me right. They're dropping AMC right before the final fucking season of Breaking Bad.

Apparently DISH broke a deal they had with AMC Network, AMC sued, and DISH decided to screw over us customers in retaliation...

http://www.keepamcnetworks.com/facts said:
THE REAL REASON DISH IS DROPPING AMC NETWORKS…

In a ruling filed on Thursday, April 26, 2012, the Appellate Division of the New York State Supreme Court denied DISH’s application to further appeal a prior trial court decision sanctioning it for bad-faith destruction of evidence in the ongoing VOOM HD/DISH litigation. The case has now been set for a trial beginning September 18th..

The case began in 2008, when VOOM HD (an indirect subsidiary of AMC Networks) sued DISH Network for breach of contract. The case concerns a contract in which DISH agreed to carry a suite of HD networks known as VOOM for 15 years. In early 2008, DISH improperly terminated the VOOM contract, and VOOM HD filed suit, seeking over $2.5 billion in damages.

In a pre-trial ruling, the trial court judge ruled that DISH had destroyed evidence in the case, citing DISH’s “pattern of egregious conduct and questionable – and, at times, blatantly improper – litigation tactics.” The Appellate Division recently affirmed the trial court ruling, writing that DISH “acted in bad faith in destroying electronically stored evidence.” And on April 26, 2012, the Appellate Division denied DISH leave to further appeal the decision The trial court has now set the trial date.

Within days of the denial of DISH’s final avenue of pre-trial appeal, DISH informed AMC Networks of its intention to drop its award-winning networks.

In response to DISH’s decision, AMC Networks released the following statement: “AMC Networks has some of the most acclaimed programming on television, with shows like “Mad Men,” “The Walking Dead” and “Breaking Bad.” In fact, AMC’s “The Walking Dead” is the number one scripted drama with DISH subscribers.*

It is unfortunate that, because of setbacks in an unrelated litigation, DISH even suggests that they might deny their customers access to some of their favorite networks and shows that are offered by every other major satellite and cable TV provider.”

*Source: Nielsen Media Research 4Q11-1Q12 A18-49 (000) Dish Universe

The channels are gone from where they were. Luckily they haven't yet dropped them completely. They just moved the channels to the trash bin numbers, the numbers no one goes to where they put channels they're about to drop. So I'm really hoping they keep the channels there long enough for me to at least see the first half of the season.

Anyways, AMC Network has a website where you can message DISH Network and beg tell them to keep AMC, IFC, and the like. It can be found here. If you guys could, would you please send them a vile, vulgar, hate-filled rant strongly worded email asking them to please keep AMC? I'd really appreciate it!

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Wow Reverend, talk about inconvenient. I don't have Dish myself, but I sent an email on your behalf with the hope that they won't drop the axe until the last season is over. Good luck!

Grail said:
Wow Reverend, talk about inconvenient. I don't have Dish myself, but I sent an email on your behalf with the hope that they won't drop the axe until the last season is over. Good luck!

Thank you so much, Grail! I really appreciate it! Hopefully we can make a difference. :)

Griffith

That sucks, my cable company is losing the Lakers next season to the evil Time Warner. I hate all these guys. Thank God for the Internet (until they do the same hing to this).

Anyway, there's a nice season 5 billboard in Westwood, and while looking for a season 5 billboard picture I found this:

breaking_bad_got_no_proof.jpg

:ganishka:

Griffith

Promo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_jphULKZ4E

:carcus:

News according to the actors, minorly spoilerific (pretty broad expositional stuff obviously, but if you want total radio silence):
According Aaron Paul it's already the most violent and dark season yet just in the early going. According to the actor that plays Gus, and obviously from the clip, it picks up right where it left off and he hints we still have more to learn about Gus (why else would he be involved). This ties in to other news that hasn't hit the net (I read it in my mom's copy of EW =), according to Cranston there's going to be an international force that comes into play, perhaps Gus' people back in Chile as I suspected, or maybe simply the cartel (or CIA? =). Also, Skylar is conflicted about but exploring the depths of her new loose morals (who cares).

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
Okay, I'm getting irrationally excited for this season. I just wish it wasn't cut in half. :mozgus:

Funny side note re: the DISH and AMC fiasco - Apparently as an act of retaliation DISH abruptly disabled the channel AMC programming usually airs on, and moved it to some hilariously high number. As compensation they replaced the original channel with....a Nickelback concert. :ganishka:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-dishamcfeud-20120604,0,4463370.story

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
Saephon said:
Funny side note re: the DISH and AMC fiasco - Apparently as an act of retaliation DISH abruptly disabled the channel AMC programming usually airs on, and moved it to some hilariously high number. As compensation they replaced the original channel with....a Nickelback concert. :ganishka:

It'll be fine, AMC will retaliate by dropping an ATM on DISH network's head. Or at least say it did.

Griffith said:

These are all magical.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Griffith said:
Promo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_jphULKZ4E
I wanted Walt to give Saul a little kiss on the lips after he said,
"We're done when I say we're done."

Fucking can't wait.

EDIT: I now realize the whole reason behind that scene where Saul
gets upset, having to deliver the checks to Jesse's girlfriend and her kid. It shows us that he was probably involved with poisoning the kid somehow. I know we already pieced that much together with Huell's patdown of Jesse, but it's another one of those great clues that were sprinkled in there without me realizing it. I have a feeling Saul isn't happy having to help poison kids.

Top Bottom