Breaking Bad

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Just started watching this show and I love it. But hey I came here to post this: http://lareviewofbooks.org/article.php?type=&id=761&fulltext=1&media= It's a great read, but it's also filled with spoilers. If I was caught up with season 4, I'd consider watching the premier tonight, but I can't! (I don't have cable.)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Just started watching this show and I love it. But hey I came here to post this: http://lareviewofbooks.org/article.php?type=&id=761&fulltext=1&media= It's a great read
I don't think Breaking Bad and the Wire are similar at all. Breaking Bad is far more exaggerated and character driven.

Of course, looking forward to tonight's premiere. :daiba:

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
In related news Season 4 is now streaming on Netflix! For anyone who's trying to catch up but was annoyed that it was missing.

Very excited for tonight. Trying to make myself forget that it's a truncated season. :sad:

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
That was a good episode. I'm very interested in
the flash-forward scene in the beginning. I wonder what the hell happened.

Seeing Ted the way he was was a huge shock. Though I'm not convinced he'll stay quiet. He's gotta go.

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
Intriguing opening scene, eh? I wonder
how far ahead that is. He's got a new name, a pretty full head of hair, AND he's in New Hampshire if I heard correctly?

I was expecting a slow premiere - pleasantly surprised to get a little action already. It's also nice to see Hank walking around investigating with just a cane. Love that guy.

Gobolatula said:

Seeing Ted the way he was was a huge shock. Though I'm not convinced he'll stay quiet. He's gotta go.

I think Ted may stay quiet. He knows Skyler is a woman with a lot of money who can send goons after him; his fear may keep his mouth shut. I liked Walt wrapping his hands around his wife and saying 'I forgive you'. And why would Mike spraying out the security camera not be an immediate red flag that sends security guards to the front of the gate?

AND he's in New Hampshire if I heard correctly?

No, that's where his ID said he was from. He's supposedly somewhere that's 30 hours away from New Hampshire

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Saephon said:
Intriguing opening scene, eh? I wonder
how far ahead that is.

Well this season opens on his birthday. In the first episode of Season 1 he turned 50 and from what I can tell season 1-4 takes place over about a year or so. So I'm assuming this "flashfoward" is around (maybe a little more than?) a year after Gus gets his face blown off.

Saephon said:
In related news Season 4 is now streaming on Netflix! For anyone who's trying to catch up but was annoyed that it was missing.

Very excited for tonight. Trying to make myself forget that it's a truncated season. :sad:

Fuck me! LOL I just bought season 4 through Zune Video! :mozgus:

Delta Phi Zeta said:
Well this season opens on his birthday. In the first episode of Season 1 he turned 50 and from what I can tell season 1-4 takes place over about a year or so. So I'm assuming this "flashfoward" is around (maybe a little more than?) a year after Gus gets his face blown off.

That's just what his fake ID says.

I wonder why he left the 20 below his meal. Was it just his pride preventing him from accepting free food or was there some other motive?

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Hot damn, what an way to start off the season!

To be honest, I had completely forgotten about the fact that Walt, Jesse and Mike needed to cover their tracks following Gus's demise. One thing I've always loved about this show is the fact that they'll often start out with a seemingly impossible problem and come up with a wacky solution. After all the murder and plotting going on in the last season, it was nice to see Walt and Jesse back to their old antics, with the addition of Mike "I'm-too-old-for-this-shit" Ehrmantraut. What a team!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Wow, it didn't take long for Walt to go mad with power. "Because I said so." "We're done when I say we're done." "I forgive you." Which I assume was supposed to be somewhat comforting, only not at all. I think he literally went insane in the crawlspace and nothing much has changed since.

BTW, I've used all these lines on people already tonight. =)

Gobolatula said:
Reminded me of the penultimate episode of The Sopranos
with the assault rifle. Also, score one for the Scarface ending. =)

Gobolatula said:

He just better hope that's not what Walt thinks. :carcus:

I can see it going either way, not a good place for him to be in any case, and we already know he's not the brightest guy.

Groovy Metal Fist said:
And why would Mike spraying out the security camera not be an immediate red flag that sends security guards to the front of the gate?

"Because I said so."

Nobody was watching I guess; must have been for security recording rather than surveillance, like when they robbed the chemical storage in season 1. :griffnotevil: Anyway, yeah, gotta suspend your disbelief for that one. I thought the whole thing was a bit much, was imagining something simpler where you pull up on the street next to the building in broad daylight and nobody even knows.

Groovy Metal Fist said:
That's just what his fake ID says.
Could be the same day though. Not the the optimum way to hide, but otherwise it begs the question why he was acknowledging his fake birthday like that. It's not beyond the realm of possibility he'd find ironic significance in it, but...

Groovy Metal Fist said:
I wonder why he left the 20 below his meal. Was it just his pride preventing him from accepting free food or was there some other motive?

That was a hundie, so you can file it under ego/not giving a fuck/atonement/gratitude for the simple pleasantries.

Groovy Metal Fist said:
It was a 100 dollar bill :slan:

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Walt was very arrogant this episode,
I feel bad for Mike having to put up with him. Seeing Ted like that made me happy in a way, I feel very sadistic towards Skylar and Ted, so that scene gave me a very bad sort of happiness. Also dread though, at the thought of another Ted/Skylar subplot getting in the way of actual interesting things.

Griffith said:
Nobody was watching I guess; must have been for security recording rather than surveillance, like when they robbed the chemical storage in season 1. :griffnotevil: Anyway, yeah, gotta suspend your disbelief for that one. I thought the whole thing was a bit much, was imagining something simpler where you pull up on the street next to the building in broad daylight and nobody even knows.
Yeah, I was thinking that too, feels like it would have been a bit easier to do and would have taken less time episode-wise. Although, when
the van tipped over I couldn't help but message a friend who was also watching with "FUCKING WALT"

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I love this show. While Walt and Mike argue over the logistics of their scheme, Jesse turns to the miracles of the Insane Clown Posse for the solution. :ganishka:

Another early episode lol: Walt stashing his dirty work in a garbage bag in his trunk. Relief... then remembers the plant, and ends up stuffing it in the bag too. :ganishka:

I appreciated that this episode wasn't content to be ruminative. It sped on ahead to the next immediate challenge: Cleaning up the mess left by Gus.

And I don't know about you guys, but when Mike said: "It's over. We're screwed." I didn't necessarily feel like: "Oh no!" It was more like: "Oh, yes! Now what will happen?" I think as viewers, we're all so far beyond the point of wanting these guys to get away clean that we're ready for the law to deal its hand. And that's a pretty unique accomplishment for a show with heretofore endearing characters. Btw did anyone else feel
that Mike's complicity with Walt and Jesse was a little out of character? Even him being upset at Gus' death seemed a little much. But maybe I simply have read the character wrong all along.

Like others have said, Walt is feeling more comfortable now than ever in the skin of Heisenberg. But the man we saw in the flash-forward looks like a synthesis between the two. Something's going to happen to shake his confidence. I'm guessing something by the end of this season, so that the opening here will answer the question of
why Walt needed that machine gun...

Also, that creepy hug at the end of the episode... masterful work.

PS: Could AMC have been more obnoxious during the commercial breaks? "TUNE IN FOR A 4 MINUTE PREVIEW OF THE WALKING DEAD TUNE IN FOR A 4 MINUTE PREVIEW OF THE WALKING DEAD TUNE IN FOR A 4 MINUTE PREVIEW OF THE WALKING DEAD TUNE IN FOR A 4 MINUTE PREVIEW OF THE WALKING DEAD. And the coup de grace: "Tune in to the first commercial break of Small Town Security to see previews of next week's episode of Breaking Bad!" :femto:

I fell asleep while watching because I was just tired from the stuff I was involved with throughout the day but I got to the half-way point on the episode.
Walter said:
Btw did anyone else feel
that Mike's complicity with Walt and Jesse was a little out of character? Even him being upset at Gus' death seemed a little much. But maybe I simply have read the character wrong all along.

Yep, totally.

Walter said:
Btw did anyone else feel
IncantatioN said:
Yep, totally.

I myself thought that behavior was some excellent foreshadowing on what is to come!

It's been hinted that Mike knows something about Gus' mysterious past in Chile, which probably justifies the off-character panic and the desperation which led him to ally with Walt. The gravity of Mike's words when he shouted something along the lines of "Do you know what you have done/who it is you've killed" gave off an ominous feeling somehow, much more serious than a 'simple' "You've killed a drug kingpin". I may be reading too much into it myself, too.

The revelation of Gus' past is one of the things I'm really looking forward to in season 5. Back in the 80's Don Eladio told Gus that "The only reason you're not dead like your partner is because I know who you really are". That may also explain the uneasy alliance the cartel had with Gus over the years, instead of simply wiping him out. If the Don of the Juarez cartel himself is hesitant to kill him, we can only imagine what trouble Walt has unwittingly gotten into. Will he face retribution from the mysterious big bosses of Madrigal Electromotive? :isidro: The second episode of this season is after all named "Madrigal".

Fun little trivia (although I think it was mentioned in this thread sometime in the past) is that during the Los Pollos Hermanos ad you can see Madrigal Electromotive GmbH referenced in tiny letters. -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIQ2F3T1ydM

Man, I'm so pumped. This season is going to be awesome!

I have a few questions, mostly from season 4.

When Gus and his good friend are in Mexico, pitching the idea to the cartel to sell Meth (in the flash back.) His friend is killed, and he is spared. The cartel guy tells him "I spared you because I know who you are, stick to chicken..." Does this imply that Gus is apart of another cartel family? If so I guess we could expect from hearing from them? If not why did they in fact spare him?

Walter used Flower of the Valley to convince Jesse to trust him again and turn on Gus. (He keeps stooping lower and lower.) Leaving Jesse to believe that Gus poisoned Brock. At some point I would think that Jesse would have a heart to heart with Mike about Gus trying to hurt Brock. Mike wouldn't know anything of it, and that would indirectly spark Jesse again to suspecting Walt manipulating him. Anyone else think thats possible.

When Gus slit the throat of the Mikes side goon with the box cutter, was it to send a message (well yes) but was it more so, that he tried to cook and ruined a batch? Putting Gus at a larger loss of time? Probably both right?

Poor Gus, by the end up of it all he ended up all...two faced... :judo:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
When Gus and his good friend are in Mexico, pitching the idea to the cartel to sell Meth (in the flash back.) His friend is killed, and he is spared. The cartel guy tells him "I spared you because I know who you are, stick to chicken..." Does this imply that Gus is apart of another cartel family? If so I guess we could expect from hearing from them? If not why did they in fact spare him?
We don't know the specifics, but it's implied that Gus was attached to some bad dudes from his mysterious past in South America, and possibly also with the corporation Los Pollos Hermanos is a part of.

Walter used Flower of the Valley to convince Jesse to trust him again and turn on Gus. (He keeps stooping lower and lower.) Leaving Jesse to believe that Gus poisoned Brock. At some point I would think that Jesse would have a heart to heart with Mike about Gus trying to hurt Brock. Mike wouldn't know anything of it, and that would indirectly spark Jesse again to suspecting Walt manipulating him. Anyone else think thats possible.
I don't think so. Why would Mike know about a plot like that when he was in Mexico recovering from his injuries?

When Gus slit the throat of the Mikes side goon with the box cutter, was it to send a message (well yes) but was it more so, that he tried to cook and ruined a batch? Putting Gus at a larger loss of time? Probably both right?
No, it was because he was seen at Gale's house after he was shot. It made him a liability. But yes, it's also a message to the others that Gus knows how to cut corners. :carcus:

Poor Gus, by the end up of it all he ended up all...two faced... :judo:
He will be missed :judo:

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Here's a thought about one of your questons, DMD.

Death May Die said:
I have a few questions, mostly from season 4.

My initial thought wasn't another cartel family, though it's possible. We know that Gus is originally from Chile and emigrated to Mexico in 1989. After a quick search on Wikipedia, it shows that Chile made its transition from the Pinochet regime to democracy at around the same time. Maybe he was a political refugee? I'm no expert on Chilean history though, it's just a random hunch. :ganishka:

Griffith

Walter said:
Btw did anyone else feel

I wouldn't say read wrong all along so much as just misread this instance. I mean, he just lost his meal ticket and longtime associate, that he supposed to protect and displayed some real loyalty to, and with whom his life was also completely tied up in (as the episode was sort of about). I mean, this completely fucks things up on a scale I don't think we're fully aware of yet, but he probably has some idea. Same reason he had to be complicit (along with his soft spot for Jesse). Nothing has really changed since the end of season 3, he'd like to kill Walt, but he needs him. His alternative was losing everything anyway; his good name, his family, etc. He's kind of in the same boat as Walter there, but he's not enjoying it as much. =)

Walter said:
We don't know the specifics, but it's implied that Gus was attached to some bad dudes from his mysterious past in South America, and possibly also with the corporation Los Pollos Hermanos is a part of.

I think that's basically going to be the answer to all our questions about last night's episode and the rest of the season, from Walt's purchase, to Mike's behavior, to the inevitable rise and fall of Heisenberg. Gus no doubt has powerful friends, partners, and even enemies that aren't going to be happy about what happened and how (from their point of view, some crazy fucking meth cook just killed their profit stream, on the other hand, it's an opportunity for "Heisenberg" to get respect from those that don't know him so well yet =); anyway some of them Walter can benefit from, probably help put him back in business and allow him to be their new Gus, but the rest... yeah, I don't think Walt is correct in thinking it's even near over and cleaned up
, cameras or no cameras.
Just think of the ramifications of Tuco's death and multiply it times... Gus. I'm especially interested in the mystery company that was bankrolling him, they pretty much have to be major players at this point.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
PROMO FOR SEASON 5 EPISODE 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6e9vLy4fjM

I've been thinking about this all day.
Who could that lady be? The one asking Mike, "Who killed Gus?" Also, is there a shot of Walt holding the ricin capsule? Shit.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:

Who could that lady be? The one asking Mike, "Who killed Gus?" Also, is there a shot of Walt holding the ricin capsule? Shit.
That's some hype for Madrigal. All those fast-food chains, likely all drug fronts :ganishka: What an awesome show.

As for the woman, too soon to tell.

Griffith

Gobolatula said:

Check out this scene from the next one (spoiler, obviously):

http://www.amctv.com/breaking-bad/videos/sneak-peek-episode-502-breaking-bad-madrigal

"DID YOU GET ALL THAT, HANK!?"
:troll:

Gobolatula said:
Who could that lady be? The one asking Mike, "Who killed Gus?"

Must be one of those former associates. More interesting to me is it seems Mike was convinced to form the triumvirate despite his reservations about Walt.

Gobolatula said:
Also, is there a shot of Walt holding the ricin capsule? Shit.

"Don't worry, Ted's not going to say anything."

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FZ2FA-epcE#t=0m46s

He sure isn't. :zodd:

Top Bottom