Breaking Bad

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
i'm watching episode 5 right now and reaaally struggling with the show. Please tell me this gets better.
The first season of most shows isn't representative of what it ultimately becomes. Season 4 is my personal favorite, but as Griff said, he thinks it peaked at 2.

Personally, I think it was around the end of 2 that I became hooked. Then again, that body/bathtub thing also got my attention preettttyyy quickly.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
Then again, that body/bathtub thing also got my attention preettttyyy quickly.

Come to think of it, the first three episodes are solid, but I can see why one might be put off by eps 4 and 5. Can leave one wondering which is the real show.

Nighty, I'd say watch episode 6, and if you like it at all watch the last episode of season 1 and the first three of season 2, but if you're still not into it by then it just might not be for you. You have to really get into Walter for the show to work. It's central, if you're not connecting with him or don't find him interesting that's a problem. It's a great show though, definitely worth your while.

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
Griffith said:
Also, season 2 is very well done (only one they plotted completely in advance), and still my favorite.

Seconded. I think the following two seasons are still very strong, but when I got to the last episode of Season 2 and everything "clicked"....that was a wonderful moment.

Griffith said:
Mike should have found another source of methylamine. I hate characters like Lydia, she's going to be an irritant to characters and viewers alike all season. Otherwise, loved it. BTW, one thing I've always liked about Mike is that at times he reminds me of a very serious George Carlin. =)

And yeah, another super creepy ending for Walter and Skylar. My girlfriend wondered aloud if he was going to rape her. That's where we are with Walt now.
I was thinking the same thing as your girlfriend and then shocked that i could even think that about Walt.

Griffith

THE BEAST said:
I was thinking the same thing as your girlfriend and then shocked that i could even think that about Walt.

Yeah, I never actually thought so, but let's just say I didn't exactly rush to deny it. The vibe of the scene and how loathsome Walt's been this season made it feel like a violation anyway. He's a creep. A predator. First time I've ever not been on his side, and that's saying a lot considering all he's done.

Just got around watching the new episode.
Jesse breaking down was as good as the subtle terror in Walter's tone of voice through this season so far. Walter's confidence is superbly shown, well acted and I can't wait to see the fall (in the situation) that leads up to what we see at the beginning of episode 1. Mike essays his character a lot better here than in episode 1. The interrogation scene and the one with Lydia were the highlights of the episode for me.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
So, question about this past episode...
Walt says he's $40,000 in the hole, after he repays Jesse. What the hell happened to all the money he had in the basement?

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Walter said:
Walt says he's $40,000 in the hole, after he repays Jesse. What the hell happened to all the money he had in the basement?

Did he mean money he had on cash stashed somewhere? Didn't Saul laundered the money into the car wash?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Th3Branded0ne said:
Did he mean money he had on cash stashed somewhere? Didn't Saul laundered the money into the car wash?
He laundered some of it, and of course Skyler cut a big ass check to Beneke. But at the end of Crawl Space, we clearly see him grabbing fistfuls of cash.

Griffith

Walter said:

I thought it was $400,000 and have been wondering the same thing since last season. Walt still had some money under the house and at the car-wash, not to mention he was supposed to be making millions in total (I guess they didn't get very far into production). It seems like they're playing fast and loose with his cash for the sake of motivation to cook again (not that he needs it), but I guess it's feasible he didn't really have that much left altogether (those fistfuls might not have amounted to much)or had to spend what he did on his final Gus offensive. Plus, I doubt he's really broke, he just needs disposable income above basic living costs (family, car wash, etc) or capital for the new business.

Good question, you think it went into
legal fees or that he was probably just saying that as his reason for cooking more/ show his motivating reason to cook more to Mike n Jesse? I suspect he has it, just not telling them about it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
It seems like they're playing fast and loose with his cash for the sake of motivation to cook again (not that he needs it) ... Plus, I doubt he's really broke, he just needs disposable income above basic living costs (the car wash still costs money) or capital going forward.
I'm glad you brought that up, because it's at the heart of the matter for me.

Walt describes his incentive to Jesse and Saul for wanting to cook again as: I need money (and Jesse needs money too! :carcus: ) But that's bullshit. Just like money wasn't the issue after he beat cancer. The real issue is, Walt can't break free of his criminal life. It empowers him. The money is simply a good excuse to get these guys cooking again, both for Walt and the writers as well. But I'll be honest. That part didn't sit well with me this past episode. It felt cheap. Like they weren't actually addressing the root problem here, but glossing over it. I feel like this season hasn't yet explored Walt's true motivations, or even dived into his head yet. I'm sure it's coming, but right now the character feels pretty alien to me, and that's layered by his unsettling personality changes these past two episodes.

I'm enjoying the ride so far, but I think there needs to be a little bit more character exploration for me to feel comfortable with things, the way that they are. Maybe that's just me.

Griffith

Walter said:
right now the character feels pretty alien to me, and that's layered by his unsettling personality changes these past two episodes.

I'm enjoying the ride so far, but I think there needs to be a little bit more character exploration for me to feel comfortable with things, the way that they are. Maybe that's just me.

Nope, not just you, but I think it might be intentional. Alien is the right word, because these last two episodes I've felt totally alienated him. We're suddenly on the outside looking in with him, just like everyone else, and it's not a pretty picture. Like I said, first time I haven't been rooting for him, and beyond that he's actually been kind of repulsive.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Nope, not just you, but I think it might be intentional. Alien is the right word, because these last two episodes I've felt totally alienated him. We're suddenly on the outside looking in with him, just like everyone else, and it's not a pretty picture. Like I said, first time I haven't been rooting for him, and beyond that he's actually been kind of repulsive.
Sure, them not addressing his behavior is certainly an intentional way to go about making his character seem unrelateable. But that's a pretty cheap trick, and I hope there's a bit more to it than that, as far as what ultimately turns the audience against Walt (among those who aren't already there, of course).

Griffith

Walter said:
Sure, them not addressing his behavior is certainly an intentional way to go about making his character seem unrelateable. But that's a pretty cheap trick, and I hope there's a bit more to it than that, as far as what ultimately turns the audience against Walt (among those who aren't already there, of course).

I think there will be more to it, that's actually only been one aspect to it so far, the other being that the insights we've gotten haven't been very nice ("Because I said so," "I forgive you," and the twisted "it gets better" scene). For now I think it serves as a contrast to last season when, despite all he was doing, he seemed sympathetic because he was so desperate and up against the wall (maybe that was the trick). He hasn't done anything worse since then, but we remember what he did, and he's not nearly so sympathetic now. Still, I find it hard to believe they'd commit to portraying him in this light the whole season (though that would accomplish the mission statement of making him the villain). More likely, when the going gets tough, Walt's characterization will get going... just nowhere good.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
More likely, when the going gets tough, Walt's characterization will get going... just nowhere good.
Sounds good to me :ubik: And yeah, things are going smoothly now. When shit inevitably hits the fan, I imagine he's going to be acting and treating people much differently.

Btw, that's one aspect of this season that's already very effective—the looming sense of dread that comes from watching the domino effect after Gus' death. Everything he held together is falling apart, piece by piece. Despite the fact that Walt is acting like he's in control, and building up a new meth empire, clearly it's all going to come crashing down in a matter of episodes. And it's going to be ugly.

Griffith

Walter said:
Sounds good to me :ubik: And yeah, things are going smoothly now. When shit inevitably hits the fan, I imagine he's going to be acting and treating people much differently.

Yeah, much worse! :zodd:

Walter said:
Btw, that's one aspect of this season that's already very effective—the looming sense of dread that comes from watching the domino effect after Gus' death. Everything he held together is falling apart, piece by piece. Despite the fact that Walt is acting like he's in control, and building up a new meth empire, clearly it's all going to come crashing down in a matter of episodes. And it's going to be ugly.

Once again Walt's having delusions grandeur with no idea what he's actually stepped in. Walt's feud with Gus became his entire world last season, but it was still only a part of Gus' world. It's going to be interesting to see how Walter copes with learning all he's actually stirred up. There's still a ton of loose ends, and Mike is really in the best position to take the lead on handling them (I can't wait to see how they're going to clash over who's really in charge).

Sneak peak:

http://www.amctv.com/breaking-bad/videos/sneak-peek-episode-503-breaking-bad-hazard-pay

I couldn't help but laugh.
I think it was Mike's face as he gets up. And just like that, Walt's likable again! Wheeeew.

Also, these little post-ops with Vince Gilligan and the actors are pretty insightful, or just cool if you're into the show:

http://www.amctv.com/breaking-bad/videos/inside-episode-502-breaking-bad-madrigal

It's like the episode analysis we're doing but from a literal insider perspective (it's basically cheating when the head writer tells you what he "thinks" a character's motivations are =).

Saephon

One thing that's getting me a little sad about this season so far is that when it comes to Mike,
I get this vibe that he's being set up to die tragically at the end of the series. The fact that he's the most experienced when it comes to Gus's universe, combined with the incremental gleams of humanity/morality we see from him, I suspect he's going to be a parallel but opposite element to Walt's progression. I completely see him turning against Walt in the end, and I want him to, but I'm 99% sure he'll die in the process. And I think this woman he spared in the last episode will be involved. No half-measures Mike. :sad:

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Walt is such an
evil prick. I did not know what to make of that look he gave Brock. What a scumbag.

He cannot seriously be thinking of going up against Mike. Ugh...

Great episode.

Griffith

Well, first there was the assault rifle, and now make that a big TWO for the Scarface ending! :guts:

There was some vintage Walt stuff here, like his box factory experience (:ganishka:), but even that immediately gave way to business. Scary part is how the two are one in the same with him now, effortlessly. Like how he blamed Skylar's breakdown on her affair with Ted, which was exactly what I thought he was going to say (WWWWD). Then, he doesn't even talk to her about it! Incredible. I bet he's pissed too, I thought he'd at least chew her out, "What are you doing? :schierke:"

Mike and Walt clashing after the first cook is faster than even I expected. I can't say I blame Walt; not that he's in the right, about anything, but that take is just too small for him, and Mike should show more respect for the new Jesse James. =) In all fairness Mike did sort of spring this on them, could have sold it better too, let Walt know these guys possibly could give his description to the DEA. Anyway, Walter's already looking to his patron saint Gustavo and contemplating killing Mike (I love his new delusional, self-serving interpretation of the box cutter), and Jesse could take it as a warning as well (don't interfere again). Also, love his newfound fatherly role with Jesse immediately giving way to, "Who cares!? I'm talkin' about the money!"

Gobolatula said:
Walt is such an
evil prick. I did not know what to make of that look he gave Brock. What a scumbag.

This week's winner of the coveted "most uncomfortable moment of the episode" award! Seriously, felt like I was watching To Catch a Predator or something.

Saephon

Wowzers, the suspense is killing me. :isidro:

I really liked Jesse's business insight at the end. Maybe you weren't included in Grey Matter because you lack perspective and entrepreneurship Walt. :ganishka: Also I think it's kind of funny that
they're cooking in an infested house considering Walt's previous experience with "contamination."

I was wondering what the purpose of Mike saying "Should we take a vote?" was. Why did they include that line?

I have to say that when watching this episode, I just kept thinking of all the problem areas where everything could collapse. Would it be Brock who gave Walt the strange look? Would it be Lydia who still lives? Would it be Skyler going insane and revealing some large detail? Or would it be Walt having the audacity to try to kill Mike's men?

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Wow, that Scarface scene was some blatant foreshadowing, or at least a nod to the fact that this week is Mob Week on AMC. :troll: I know it's a pretty obvious thing to think of when it comes to a drug lord, but the more important part, to me, was Skylar hearing the gun sounds in bed. Also, if you didn't catch it last week:
http://i.imgur.com/Vgzm7.jpg
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046816/
Maybe some more foreshadowing? :isidro:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The new cook house(s) is a scary idea. The potential for meth lab explosion just increased exponentially. They have to transport, set up and then take down the equipment for each cook. That could cause some major problems... :magni:

Also, of COURSE Walt a) blamed Skylar's breakdown on Beneke b) naively believes that's why she's been so weird the past week.

Walt's reaction to Jesse talking about his relationship, and then changing the subject to THE MONEY was stomach-turning. :sad:

As to Walt implying he's considering offing Mike, I can't imagine he'd go through with that. Logically and logistically speaking, it's an insane, stupid endeavor. But this is Heisenberg, of course.

Griffith said:
In all fairness Mike did sort of spring this on them, could have sold it better too, let Walt know these guys possibly could give his description to the DEA.
I agree it wasn't really handled well. But to Mike's point, I don't think he felt he should have to sell it to Walt. It's an imperative that their ends be covered. Btw, I lol'd at Walt's whiny line about this being less than with Gus.
:ganishka:

Groovy Metal Fist said:
I was wondering what the purpose of Mike saying "Should we take a vote?" was. Why did they include that line?
It underlines the fact that to Walt, this is not a business partnership. It's a dictatorship.

Dar Klink said:
Wow, that Scarface scene was some blatant foreshadowing, or at least a nod to the fact that this week is Mob Week on AMC. :troll: I know it's a pretty obvious thing to think of when it comes to a drug lord, but the more important part, to me, was Skylar hearing the gun sounds in bed. Also, if you didn't catch it last week:
Maybe some more foreshadowing? :isidro:
I don't think it's direct foreshadowing, necessarily. That would be rather ham-fisted. But the scene did show us that Skylar is afraid for how Walt's life of crime could end for their family. Catch Walt saying, "Everybody dies in this movie." ?

Top Bottom