Breaking Bad

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Saephon said:
Maybe you weren't included in Grey Matter because you lack perspective and entrepreneurship Walt. :ganishka:

Well, Walt left them for bigger and better things. Another brilliant business move. :carcus:

Saephon said:
Also I think it's kind of funny that
they're cooking in an infested house considering Walt's previous experience with "contamination."
Walter said:
The new cook house(s) is a scary idea. The potential for meth lab explosion just increased exponentially. They have to transport, set up and then take down the equipment for each cook. That could cause some major problems... :magni:
Yeah, cool idea, but it has disaster written all over it. I mean, if it's not them contaminating the house with the meth lab, it's them contaminating the meth lab with bug gas. When they showed the meth gas spraying out into the yard with all the children's toys, I quipped, "Walt's not content to poison just one kid, he's going to poison every child in New Mexico!"

Walter said:
Also, of COURSE Walt a) blamed Skylar's breakdown on Beneke b) naively believes that's why she's been so weird the past week.

I don't know if he actually believes it, or just doesn't give a shit anymore (as evidenced by his move in; my GF noticed he just threw her shit aside in the drawer =). Maybe it's both.

TO BE CONTINUED... (at work)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
When they showed the meth gas spraying out into the yard with all the children's toys, I quipped, "Walt's not content to poison just one kid, he's going to poison every child in New Mexico!"
Also: The shot of the happy family waving goodbye as the crew unloaded meth equipment :ganishka: This show is so awesome.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Stopped mid-way through season 2, really wanted to enjoy it :sad: Maybe i'll get back to it on a later date.

Griffith

Walter said:
Walt's reaction to Jesse talking about his relationship, and then changing the subject to THE MONEY was stomach-turning. :sad:
Walter said:
As to Walt implying he's considering offing Mike, I can't imagine he'd go through with that. Logically and logistically speaking, it's an insane, stupid endeavor. But this is Heisenberg, of course.

All of which went into Jesse's "WTF" expression at the end. No wonder Walt needs an assault rifle, the way he's behaving it's already him against the world. Who are his true allies at this point? Jesse now, but even he sees something is off with this guy.

Walter said:
I don't think it's direct foreshadowing, necessarily. That would be rather ham-fisted. But the scene did show us that Skylar is afraid for how Walt's life of crime could end for their family. Catch Walt saying, "Everybody dies in this movie." ?

Best part was how he said it, like whooo fun! Fun for the whole family, even the baby (Walt watching Scarface with the baby is good enough by itself =). Then there's Walt Jr.'s invitation, "Join us, mom!" IN HELL!

NightCrawler said:
Stopped mid-way through season 2, really wanted to enjoy it :sad: Maybe i'll get back to it on a later date.

Which episode you end on? Peekaboo? If so that's too bad, the next episode, Negro Y Azul, is pretty memorable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxYrjWMvmdg

:ganishka:

Just watched episode 3 of the new season, gripping. Mike and Walt
kinda going at it got me all excited and I'm equally glad nothing happened *phew*. It's one of those moments when you know shits going to go down. I can see Walt messing around with the people he has to pay to keep quiet, maybe see how he could take them outta the equation - possible kill em? Don't know if it's even possible, those guys are in jail or in custody, but just thinking out loud.
Walt's demeanor when he's with Skylar is just chilling ... like whenever he puts his head down a bit and looks straight into the camera. I feel for Jesse and I feel like he's going to be
broken by either Walt directly or the situation Walt puts him in unbeknownst to him and it ain't gonna be pretty

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
:isidro: HOLY fucking shit, that episode....

What isn't there to say? The pool scene, the "Waiting for what?" The cinematography was fantastic this week. And screw everyone who hates Skyler; her scenes are making me feel so uncomfortable. What good acting.

Is anyone else worried about possible foreshadowing though? There was a lot of talk about Walt Jr. driving and speeding....What if he dies in an auto accident? I'm trying to piece together how and why Walt goes on the run as we saw in the season premiere. I think the biggest question is: Does it happen before or after Hank finds out? Because I can't imagine how he could just up and leave without accelerating the gears in Hank's brain. Ah man, there's so much to take in and think about. I rarely react out loud verbally, but this show does that to me.

The ticking watch at the end...You can't help but love the blatant, but effective symbolism.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Well that makes the first panic attack of this season! When
Skyler was just standing there near the pool while Walt was talking, I just kept thinking OHFUCKOHFUCKOHFUCK GETAWAYFROMTHERESKYLERFUUUUCKKK!! Lydia is going to be a big problem.

I love all the symbolic stuff in this show. The little loose thread sticking out of the Heisenberg hat.

And judging by next week's preview, it looks like not only do they
not kill Lydia, but she's gonna be helping out.
I'm glad. I actually really dig her.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
I"m going to miss the Aztek.

Now Walt really knows how Skyler is feeling about him and how afraid she is of him. Hank taking the promotion, I think will give Walt a bit more time , since Hank's boss said he would miss having a field guy like him. I just find it creepy how Walt comes at the end and talks to Skyler as if it was just another husband and wife argument. :magni:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
A more subdued episode than normal, but that was refreshing after the breakneck pace this season has been running at since it started. Walt and Skyler finally laid their cards on the table. I think she's now a prime candidate to rat Walt out, taking the kids with her to witness protection. Of course, that would be too easy. And this show never takes that road :void:

Jesse sticking up for Lydia... :schierke: Mike should have slapped the kid. Jesse may serve as the voice of reason, but he's made bad choices the entire series. It's hard for me to sympathize with him.

The watch was a clever touch, though I caught the significance of it as soon as I saw it. The tick tick ticking was a little ham-fisted, but gets the point across.

Saephon said:
And screw everyone who hates Skyler; her scenes are making me feel so uncomfortable. What good acting.
Yeah I'm sure you've been rooting for her allll along :guts: Still, that was nice of them to give her something to do for the first time in a full season.

Th3Branded0ne said:
I"m going to miss the Aztek.
I really loved the opening sequence this episode--Walt and Walt Jr. being stupid about their cars again put a smile on my face. :ganishka:

Hank taking the promotion, I think will give Walt a bit more time
I don't think so. Did you see the look on his face when he was faced with that choice?
We've seen how self-destructive Hank can be when he's dedicated to a case. He took the promotion, but do you really think he's going to stop chasing this case when he sees how incompetent his successors are? He'll do whatever it takes, even if that means jeopardizing his new gig.

BTW, Hank is awesome. I'm still holding out for a spinoff series where Hank gets kicked out of the DEA for being a loose cannon, and he teams up with Mike and they have a sort of Magnum P.I. type of show. They can even bring in Saul. Best show of all time?

I just find it creepy how Walt comes at the end and talks to Skyler as if it was just another husband and wife argument. :magni:
It clearly wasn't _just_ another one. That was a pretty serious fight.

Griffith

Great episode, I actually thought it was the most "action-packed" since the first, and my favorite this season. Not a lot of physical action, but some serious gears were spinning.

First, love the opening with the Heisenberg hat, but like Branded was sad he gave up the car. It was a good feint since I thought Walt was as sentimental about it as I was, but nope! Now I know he's truly lost his way. =) And the car scene in the driveway out of an MTV show was probably the most out there opening since Negro y Azul (the one with the music video and Danny Trejo's head on an exploding turtle). Great stuff, I was laughing by the end. And I had the same thought as Saephon, but was thinking getting hurt will do. CONSEQUENCES! Anyway, that and the watch ending make it one of the more gimmicky episodes I can remember (in a good way)

I agree with (our) Walter that Hank's not done with the case and it could be his undoing at work, but it's still a break for Walt because he's going to be distracted while agents that don't share his outlook and passion for the case waste time trying to close it while Hank says, "look again!" Of course, he could just put Gomey on it and basically keep working it with him.

Walt having to deal with Skyler freaking out is making him human again, even if he's a rotten human (he sort of always was). Actually, in many ways I feel like the season didn't really start for these two until this episode. The tension between Walt's home and work life now has real meaning again (oh, and the return of the cancer has been officially prophesied). Speaking of which, I feel like Walt's humanity has also reemerged in his new-found neediness as a victorious crime boss; expectant of the birthday adulation and respect he deserves. Perhaps a national holiday will do? Anyway, I'm still annoyed with Skyler's hysterics even though I appreciate the rationale and what she's doing for the plot, BUT she's fucking up Heisenberg's plans! =) He needs to dump her and hook up with Lydia or something. Double crazy timebomb sex must be amazing. Looks like Jesse already has a soft spot for her though. Ugh, she could be Jane 2.0., c'mon Jesse, I hope it's just cause you're too nice (though it would be poetic justice if Walt breaking Jesse up with his girl undid him, just like the magnet caper leading to the hazard pay being lost).

I felt bad for Mike after his telling line about Lydia; he's already working with a crazy timebomb that's going to get him killed or thrown in jail. I enjoyed his excuse about giving her a pass because he's sexist (always a man's man, even when he's being soft =). Can't wait to hear what Walt's master plan is concerning her, but it was a great moment of affirmation for him as BOSS after last week's humiliation.

Finally, Walt's pitch to Skyler at the end was beautifully Walter White: there's no danger, and you're going to come around like my best friend that was going to shoot me in the face (said braggingly). I forget that he's insane sometimes, little moments like these are a great reminder.

Until next time... tick tick tick tick tick tick... :guts:

Saephon

Noticed something neat after watching it a second time:
in the last scene with Skyler smoking, she's using a coffee mug as an ashtray. The mug says 51 on it. Yeah, that cancers coming back.
:beast:

Griffith

Saephon said:
Noticed something neat after watching it a second time:
in the last scene with Skyler smoking, she's using a coffee mug as an ashtray. The mug says 51 on it. Yeah, that cancers coming back.
:beast:

Skyler was looking hard in that scene. =) And considering the hysterics are at least somewhat contrived, she still has real potential to come into her own (watch out Heisenberg, the greatest threat is at home!). I liked how she was basically blowing her cigarette smoke at him as he walked away, like she was trying to bring the cancer back single-handedly through secondhand smoke.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Griffith said:
Skyler was looking hard in that scene. =) And considering the hysterics are at least somewhat contrived, she still has real potential to come into her own (watch out Heisenberg, the greatest threat is at home!). I liked how she was basically blowing her cigarette smoke at him as he walked away, like she was trying to bring the cancer back single-handedly through secondhand smoke.
To me, the craziest thing about the situation between
Walt and Skyler is that she doesn't even know that Walt is using her affair with Beneke as the "official" excuse for her behavior. When that bomb gets dropped, I would seriously be worried for Walt... if, you know, he weren't all evil and everything. :casca:

Griffith

Grail said:
To me, the craziest thing about the situation between
Walt and Skyler is that she doesn't even know that Walt is using her affair with Beneke as the "official" excuse for her behavior. When that bomb gets dropped, I would seriously be worried for Walt... if, you know, he weren't all evil and everything. :casca:

Yeah, I was waiting to see if it came up last night, but at this point it almost seems like fair play: Skyler is in the game, playing for keeps. Also, it's hard for me to believe that Marie didn't blab about the second they were alone in the bedroom, but stranger things have happened.
What I'm wondering is how far Walter would take it, like would he use Beneke as a chip, "Ya know, I don't know if we can trust him, maybe I'm going to have to do something about him... unless you can give me a reason not to." Though, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear from Ted again, barring the kind of twist callback they love to do on this show, "Hey, remember that one!"

Speaking of which, preview for next week:

http://www.amctv.com/breaking-bad/videos/sneak-peek-episode-505-breaking-bad-dead-freight

SPOILERS FROM THIS CLIP:
But, evilness aside, looks like Walt's using honey instead of vinegar, helping Skyler's agenda in a transparent attempt to get on her good side (shades of season 3, right down to Skyler's bitter "Welcome home"-like congrats). The cold war even determines what they're calling their son at this point (kind of a dick move by Skyler since even Walt Jr. dropped Flynn already) Also, deploying: HEISENDAD! "WHY? Gimmie one good reason!?" "Because this is MY territory." :ganishka:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Raspberry-Candy-Crystals-Pound/dp/B005SWKZG4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344378174&sr=8-1&keywords=blue+rock+candy

Check "customers also bought." :ganishka:

breaking-bad-cosplay.jpg

Griffith

Walter said:
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Raspberry-Candy-Crystals-Pound/dp/B005SWKZG4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344378174&sr=8-1&keywords=blue+rock+candy

Check "customers also bought." :ganishka:

:ganishka: :ganishka: :ganishka:

The only other role I had known Giancarlo Esposito before Breaking Bad was Buggin' Out in Do The Right Thing. Had I not seen the actor's name, I never ever would have guessed that Gustavo Fring and Buggin' Out were played by the same man. If I could think of any character who was the complete opposite of Gus Fring, it would be Buggin' Out and he nailed them both.

Another fun fact:

Don Eladio is played by the same actor who played Manolo/Manny in Scarface.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Holy shit what an episode. The whole
train heist thing was fantastic. I KNEW something was going to go wrong. Fucking Todd caps the kid. What a great introduction for a character.

Looks like
Mike's bailing next episode? We'll see how that goes.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
What a nerve-racking episode... Christ..!
That kid though, sorta saw that coming from the suspiciously indulgent opening. Just not that he'd get offed right then and there. Before Todd pulled that trigger, I was thinking he could be some kind of undercover agent. He's just been too capable, too eager to help. But killing a kid without hesitation? Guess that theory's a dud. Todd's just a monster.

PS: I like Todd. :ganishka:

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
I was basically having an anxiety attack once
the train heist began. Walt's almost snide comment to Skylar when she accused him of burying bodies was fantastic. Also, looks like Todd is REALLY gung ho about his new job...
Loved this episode.

Saephon

Not gonna lie, I expected Walter to be the one to
shoot the kid. You know, to start the gears turning in Jesse's head about what happened to Brock. Guess we're not that far into the deep end yet :ganishka:

This must be the same part of my brain that rooted for Tom instead of Jerry, but I remember thinking 'Don't spare the lives of the engineers, just kill them like you did Gale and Krazy-8.' I can't help but wonder if they had gone with a plan intended to kill the engineers that the life of the child might have been spared. Not that I know; it's just pure speculation.

I also liked how Walt could give a guarantee to Lydia no problem, but refused to swear on the lives of his children. I thought it was charming when he decided to be frank when she threw that in his face.

Walt's bugging maneuver at the beginning where he just barely plants everything with only seconds to spare was also an entertaining foreshadowing of the much more elaborate maneuver they would need to pull.

It is strange that robbing a train was the only to get their hands on a decent amount of methylamine. When one driver, distributor, dealer, or plant goes down on this show, Mike always seems to be able to find a replacement with enough time and effort, but it seems so unusual that for this one ingredient that they couldn't work out a deal with a different supplier.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Things just keep amping up by each episode.
At least Jesse was the one coming up with the plan this time around, still Walt's show either way. At the beginning I was like, what is this kid going to be for in the episode, only to see his demise at the end. Mike might want out, but I think he's into deep now. No quitting now .

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
I don't know what you guys are so excited about, that was depressing.
Sure, the ending. But by nerve-racking I meant the whole train sequence. Was on the edge of my seat the whole time.

Just remembered something about the episode:
Walt stresses to Todd that no one can ever find out about what they're doing. Todd's just doing his job, guys!

Top Bottom