Breaking Bad

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I kept thinking about the
train heist
sequence all damn day. Probably one of the best scenes in the show. They keep topping themselves.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
After the magnet, the tents, and the business in Hank's office, I actually thought it was a BIT much. It was fun and all, but if they're going to keep going to this much trouble they might as well just rob banks or something. Enough of the kingmaking and all the setbacks just to get back to square one, let's see the king already. Which, was what depressed me about the ending... it might be over before it really happens.

Part of the reason the train wasn't as suspenseful to me is they were clearly not going to be caught, as soon as the train heist was explicitly introduced the drama was when the kid was going to show up and what would happen to him, and it was, unsurprisingly, the worst case scenario. Now, this is a great turn for the show (some real aftermath after all the hijinks), but a bummer for the gang considering the damage done all around, especially since it was needless by virtue of the plan as long as they quickly covered their tracks, which would have been a lot less risky than Walt bugging Hank's computer with his bare hands for instance, and now that's only going to be harder. Also, I never thought Walt would just draw down on the kid considering the above, he'd more likely kill Todd now for pulling a Victor, "flew too close to the sun." Or because Jesse's going to go apeshit either way, but if Walt just lets it slide... It's a tragedy in any case, whether you feel for the kid or the guys that killed him.

Edit:
Oh, I missed the preview. Nevermind, I guess my fears were unwarranted, the "empire" business it is.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
I kept thinking about the
train heist
sequence all damn day. Probably one of the best scenes in the show. They keep topping themselves.
I didn't think it was THAAAAT good. There are much more memorable scenes in this show.

After watching the preview for next episode, I wanted to take this opportunity and humbly say that I was utterly wrong about what Walt's motivations would be this season—100% wrong.

Griffith

Walter said:
After watching the preview for next episode, I wanted to take this opportunity and humbly say that I was utterly wrong about what Walt's motivations would be this season—100% wrong.

Do tell? They've been hinting at this since season 2, but it never goes anywhere, and Walter's basically still stuck on the same plateau he's been at since season 3, or below ("this is less than with Fring!"). Again, short of a dramatic montage, I don't see how he's going to get there before something earthshaking stops him in his tracks. Looks like he's going to be taking this event in stride though, "C'mon Jesse, you didn't know this one! Er, uh.."

Speaking of wrong, I remember when I caught up on the thread after finishing season 4 that some people thought Walt was done cooking, like emphatically. My only worry was we'd never get to see him reach full potential with it, and I'm glad to see he at least has that aim in mind. =)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
some people thought Walt was done cooking, like emphatically. My only worry was we'd never get to see him reach full potential with it, and I'm glad to see he at least has that aim in mind. =)
I was one of those people. :sad:

It seemed to me that throughout season 4, it seemed like Walt had lost his luster for cooking. And the destruction of the old meth lab, plus shaking hands with Jesse and saying goodbye, it all seemed to me like he was hanging it up. What he did after he was free... well, I honestly didn't expect he'd just go back and do the same thing again.

I've been rewatching the series this past week, and some of his decisions now make a lot more sense having revisited his origins. It had been a while for me, and I'd forgotten about how much that Grey Matter shit burned Walt internally.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
I just finished season 4, and have managed to avoid all spoilers to DATE. The only one I know of is the Aztec singing its final song. But, other than that, this is the first series I've stayed clear of spoilers for in a LONG time.

Also, I fucked LOVE this show. It took me a while to get caught up because the show was depressing me too much to keep watching.

Griffith

Walter said:
I was one of those people. :sad:

It seemed to me that throughout season 4, it seemed like Walt had lost his luster for cooking. And the destruction of the old meth lab, plus shaking hands with Jesse and saying goodbye, it all seemed to me like he was hanging it up. What he did after he was free... well, I honestly didn't expect he'd just go back and do the same thing again.

I've been rewatching the series this past week, and some of his decisions now make a lot more sense having revisited his origins.

Good points all, but it was circumstantial (his life was in direct jeopardy at all times), and like you allude to, this is the one thing he can redeem his genius with (I joked during last week's latest insanely over-the-top caper, "Why don't Walt and Jesse just cure cancer?"). This is why Over is one of my favorite episodes, besides it's most famous scene.

Walter said:
It had been a while for me, and I'd forgotten about how much that Grey Matter shit burned Walt internally.

In the end he was pretty external about it too, "FUCK YOU." :ganishka:

BTW, Breaking Bad: based on a true story?

http://crime.blogs.tuscaloosanews.com/12950/walter-white-wanted-for-making-methamphetamine/

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
heisenberg.gif
"Everybody wins."

Walter said:
heisenberg.gif
"Everybody wins."

Vintage Heisenberg :ganishka:

2 Episodes left, holy hell. I have to wait another year for the rest?! :mozgus:

In all seriousness, I'm OK with it. It's gonna be bitter sweet when it's over

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
Chaos said:
2 Episodes left, holy hell. I have to wait another year for the rest?! :mozgus:

In all seriousness, I'm OK with it.

I'm glad someone is, 'cause I'm certainly not. :azan: We should be only halfway done with a season.
But yeah, I'm sure once the show is over, I won't care.

So possibly my new favorite reaction from Jesse now goes to
him drinking his water during the awkward dinner. So good.

Griffith

Well, this was indeed a good week for a Grey Matter refresher.

Walter said:
heisenberg.gif
"Everybody wins."

His face in that scene too, just could not give less of a fuck about Mike's anger or his gun, was mocking even, like Mike's beneath him with such antics.

Anyway, wasn't what I expected, in season's past the whole episode would have been about dealing with the death of the kid, and while it hung over business, it was still business as usual while Walt was otherwise whistling Dixie (not much better than Todd's creepy smile as he looked at his trophy; so much for remorse). Nothing stops this train now, so it's on to the next plan... Will everybody win as promised, or will Walt teach them all a lesson in taking liberties, like Victor did in his mind? If they had the time they could ripoff Lydia's wired supply to make up Walt's share, and let those guys take the fall. Probably not, but knowing Walter he'd like to use the opportunity to get the money, keep the methylene, and take out his "competitors" in one fell swoop. Again, it'll probably something more straightforward, but we'll see what he comes up with (evey time I think that they end up robbing a train or something). In any case, Heisenberg is definitely being deployed; the title in combination with next week's preview are pretty great.

Saephon said:
I'm glad someone is, 'cause I'm certainly not. :azan: We should be only halfway done with a season.

It's kind of ruinously hanging over this little half season. Just an awful thing, more sordid than anything Walt and the gang are up to on the show. =)

Saephon said:
So possibly my new favorite reaction from Jesse now goes to
him drinking his water during the awkward dinner. So good.

That scene was painfully funny, emphasis on painful.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Well, this was indeed a good week for a Grey Matter refresher.
Yeah, I know right? What a weird coincidence for me in particular...

His face in that scene too, just could not give less of a fuck about Mike's anger or his gun, was mocking even, like Mike's beneath him with such antics.
When he said "Everybody wins," I couldn't help but think it would end up the opposite way. The music at the end of the episode sounded like after a Mortal Kombat fatality. :void:

it'll probably something more straightforward, but we'll see what he comes up with (evey time I think that they end up robbing a train or something). In any case, Heisenberg is definitely being deployed; the title in combination with next week's preview are pretty great.
I imagine it has something to do with getting rid of the competition, while also taking their money. But I have no idea how he'd manage that without killing them. Even if they're picked up by the DEA, they can easily ID Walter "You're Damn Right" White.

It's kind of ruinously hanging over this little half season. Just an awful thing, more sordid than anything Walt and the gang are up to on the show. =)
The half-season doesn't bother me, really. Sure, I'd like more episodes, but more isn't always better. This helps punctuate things. So long as they keep the story moving at a decent pace, I'm happy.

That scene was painfully funny, emphasis on painful.
One of the best scenes of the season, even the stuff building up to it. Walt drinking his liquor alone in his house, arguing with Jesse as if he has the higher ground here. He's rarely looked more sinister. I was so excited when Walt asked Jesse to stay for dinner. That sit down has been long overdue. It was fascinating to watch, too, considering what Skyler's assumptions of Jesse must be, even though he's basically the good guy here.

And yeah, Jesse's hilarious gulping of the water was masterfully done :ganishka:

Griffith

Walter said:
I imagine it has something to do with getting rid of the competition, while also taking their money. But I have no idea how he'd manage that without killing them. Even if they're picked up by the DEA, they can easily ID Walter "You're Damn Right" White.

Perhaps he'll actually destroy his enemies by making friends of them? Partner up and they get to upgrade their product while increasing their market share, and Heisenberg can finally be universally recognized as THE BOSS of New Mexico. Everybody wins! Well, except that it also looks like he's making enemies of all his former friends.

Walter said:
The half-season doesn't bother me, really. Sure, I'd like more episodes, but more isn't always better. This helps punctuate things. So long as they keep the story moving at a decent pace, I'm happy.

It's not a less is more or quality over quantity thing though, there's eight more episodes to "this season," we're just arbitrarily being made to wait a year for them. Given the choice between doing one or two more seasons, they chose a compromise that's basically the worst of both world's for their viewers, "Well, that's the end of this week's episode, stay tuned for next week's, coming a year from now." I'm hoping they'll find a satisfying stopping point (think they'll touch on that season opening tease?), but given the disregard for that already by the very nature of this bastard format, I'm not so sure. I do hope it's better for the cast and crew, but as a viewer it's just sort of ridiculous.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
It's not a less is more or quality over quantity thing though, there's eight more episodes to "this season," we're just arbitrarily being made to wait a year for them. Given the choice between doing one or two more seasons, they chose a compromise that's basically the worst of both world's for their viewers, "Well, that's the end of this week's episode, stay tuned for next week's, coming a year from now." I'm hoping they'll find a satisfying stopping point (think they'll touch on that season opening tease?), but given the disregard for that already by the very nature of this bastard format, I'm not so sure. I do hope it's better for the cast and crew, but as a viewer it's just sort of ridiculous.
My understanding is that they're calling it a two-part season, but filming it separately. So it's more like seasons 5 and 6 just have fewer episodes. Like Sopranos in a way (okay, bad example!). In the end though, this is merely a categorical thing that shouldn't really matter to viewers, so long as the story maintains a climactic build up before they take a year off. So yeah, I expect a good bookend to this half-season, and yeah I expect it will set us up to understand at least some of the circumstances Walt was in in the season opener.

Griffith

Walter said:
My understanding is that they're calling it a two-part season, but filming it separately. So it's more like seasons 5 and 6 just have fewer episodes. Like Sopranos in a way (okay, bad example!).

Yeah, I almost mentioned again how they popularized this abominable trend. I hated it then, I hated when Lost did it, it helped turned me off from The Walking Dead, and I really hate that my beloved Breaking Bad is now in this infamous category. I'd like to see this stopped for good.

Walter said:
In the end though, this is merely a categorical thing that shouldn't really matter to viewers, so long as the story maintains a climactic build up before they take a year off.

Of course it should matter to viewers, it's a year's wait for the other half of the season, or half a 6th season or whatever it's being categorized as; it's a lousy way to drag out the show's run, and I do worry it's going to affect the storytelling (it's an odd setup). It's definitely affecting the viewing experience for many (I'm glad you're thus far immune, but let's see how you feel by the end of episode 8 or a year from now =). If breaking it up was the only way they could get 16 episodes, so be it, I understand that, but the year in-between is what I find to be a bit much, not even The Sopranos or Lost pulled that. Let me put it this way: this is a CAPCOM move. =)

Walter said:
So yeah, I expect a good bookend to this half-season, and yeah I expect it will set us up to understand at least some of the circumstances Walt was in in the season opener.

I hope you're right, but what you said about maintaining that climatic build, I haven't felt it. It still just feels like the first half of a season, not something building to the completion of a satisfying mini-season or whatever. We'll see if that changes in the next two episodes (the show has proven that two episodes is more than enough to completely change things).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
(the show has proven that two episodes is more than enough to completely change things).
Honestly, that's been in the back of my head this entire season: the way season 4 went in the very end. Just upended the table in the final 2.

Griffith

Walter said:
Honestly, that's been in the back of my head this entire season: the way season 4 went in the very end. Just upended the table in the final 2.

I was actually thinking of the last two episodes of season 3, but it's the same thing. This next episode definitely has the potential to take things to another level.

Funny aside, the last episode of season 3 was actually the first I was ever exposed to, and I say exposed because it was just on in the same room. I only caught glimpses but it was already absorbing, and it all seemed so dark and dangerous and alien because I had no idea what was going on (to the point it didn't even spoil the episode later). Based on his name and the appearance of everyone else I imagined that "Gus" guy they were trying to get in touch with as some grizzled ex-biker/hippie dude in a trailer. :ganishka:

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I am getting very fed up with Walter's shit. I kept wanting to yell at the TV this episode.
HE HAD AN OUT. Ugh... Then again, he doesn't want out.

His villainy is getting cartoonish in a sense. Very exaggerated.
Whistling after one of your guys kills a kid, "I'm in the empire business," etc.
Don't get me wrong; I am enjoying every bit of this. But I was really rooting against Walt
when he was trying to break free from Mike's restraints.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Saw this image and thought it was both funny and good for showing Walt's evolution in some ways.
LxY8c.jpg

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
Well....I think everyone saw it coming. Not that it makes it any easier.
Pretty sure tonight had clear evidence that Walt's pure evil now too:
He compared himself to the Yankees.

Griffith

:sad:

Well, it finally happened. Rather than focus on what a shithead Walt is ("Just realized this was completely unnecessary. SO SORRY!"), I'd like to celebrate Mike's warrior's death. He may not have been killed fittingly, but he died fittingly. Now I'll shut the fuck up about it and let him rest in peace.

As for next week, I can't help but hope for a Godfather-like bloodbath as the final coronation of Heisenberg.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
9 more episodes of this series. I wonder if there's going to be something HUGE next episode to cap off the midway point of this "season," or if they're just going to treat it like what it's "supposed" to be - the "middle of the season." I really hate this year-long wait we're going to have to go through.

I will really, really miss Mike. There were lots of signs of Mike losing his edge near the end. It was even clear that he wanted out of this shitty business when he was still working with Gus. And now very recently, letting Lydia live, Restraining Walter with plastic handcuffs... I completely love Mike as a character and feel so bad that he wasn't able to retire like he wanted to. I'm sure he was a bad, bad guy, but at least he had a heart.

Walter is a complete cunt and I can't wait for him to get caught. It's nice that I've also been rooting for Hank all along, even during the times I've been rooting for Walt. When Gomie showed up smiling at that lawyer with all the money, that was gold.

Top Bottom