Breaking Bad

I actually feel bad for Walter even if he is a villain now. He has caused so much suffering and traumatized everyone that mattered to him, especially Jesse. The only people left not permanently scarred are his two children, but for how long?

RIP, Mike. What a shame that the last words he had to hear was about getting his men's information from Lydia. Even when Walt is shocked and sorry, he is a complete bastard.

I keep thinking about Walt's motivation for all his actions, and it keeps coming back to Grey Matter.
Why doesn't he just don his evil heisenberg persona and threaten that rich couple into giving him what is rightfully his?
Its the only way I can see him getting closure, and any percentage of 2+ billion is way better money than his meth schemes.

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
cooler21 said:
I keep thinking about Walt's motivation for all his actions, and it keeps coming back to Grey Matter.
Why doesn't he just don his evil heisenberg persona and threaten that rich couple into giving him what is rightfully his?
Its the only way I can see him getting closure, and any percentage of 2+ billion is way better money than his meth schemes.

Because he walked away from it, and I don't see Walt ever crawling back to it. Even trying to forcibly get his "rightful" stake in the company from Elliot and Gretchen would probably be seen as cowardly and less than ideal. Heisenberg has realized that he doesn't need to regret the past anymore, because he can build his own empire. Or so he thinks...I'm hoping we actually get to see it go that far, before it falls apart.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
cooler21 said:
His motivations have already been spelled out on several occasions. He's prideful, and he thinks this is the only thing he can do of value in his life. The bitterness over Grey Matter was just a sort of bitter, volatile fuel from his past.

That's a fundamental misunderstanding of the conflict.

That sounds extremely unlikely, to me. The Grey Matter thing isn't something Walt thinks he can "fix." It's a past wound.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Still in season 2. Exploding turtle. :isidro:
You should probably stay out of this thread for a bit then. We do spoil tag things, but only the BIG stuff.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Still in season 2. Exploding turtle. :isidro:

Actually, stay off the internet for that matter. Don't look at video clips on youtube even if it's of scenes you've already watched. Don't google it since the latest articles titles often contain spoilers. Don't watch interviews with Vince Gilligan or anyone else on the show. Spoilers are EVERYWHERE.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Speaking of which, this episode's making of video is quite a nice tribute
and sendoff to Mike and actor Jonathan Banks.

http://www.amctv.com/breaking-bad/videos/contains-spoilers-making-of-episode-507-say-my-name-inside-breaking-bad

Needless to say, so don't watch it unless you're caught up to last night's episode (it literally has "spoilers" written in the url =).

I watched episodes 4 and 5 last night (off the new season). The heist was predictable, what happened after I didn't see coming. I think the best scene out of the two episodes was
Walter and Skyler's face-off where she tells him how she wished his cancer came back
. I wasn't very convinced by the way she behaved around him initially and the pool scene.
I can guess it was an attempt to get into the water where she wouldn't hear Walter talk his lies, but she didn't look like she would recover, sort of like an attempted suicide - which is out of character because she cares for her kids too much to do that
. I know I'm interpreting it wrong and there's possibly more to it. I fell asleep in the middle of episode 6 UGH, so it's 6 and 7 tonight.

Griffith

Well, you've got just about all the pieces, the reason she did it was a calculated move to protect the kids.

Speaking of their crumbling marriage, now that Walt's surely going to be meeting Lydia
to get those names and ordering the deaths of at least 9 people...
I think they should literally get into bed together. Heisenberg needs a high class gumar with insanity to match his own. His previous failure in this regard just won't do.
I bet she thinks killing Gus and Mike is sexxxy. :carcus:
Yeah, this probably won't happen, but a guy can dream
(remember how curious she was about who killed Gus? fanfic: what if she and Gus had been together before, I think if that were true Walt would totally go for it, now that he's essentially trying to be Gus in every way)

Walter said:
The Grey Matter thing isn't something Walt thinks he can "fix." It's a past wound.

Speaking of wish fulfillment, my dad and I have often fantasized about this coming up opportunistically, like if their paths or businesses were to cross again (like if Gray Matter used methylamine for something, obviously moot now). Like you, I think this is unlikely, but historically speaking, once a guy reaches the status where he can order kills, they tend to settle all their old scores. =) I'm still hoping he kills Ted on a whim, but his remorse
with Mike
the other night suggests he's still got some of his old humanity left (ironically theses are the only circumstances he shows it now).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
riverside.gif

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Griffith said:
(remember how curious she was about who killed Gus? fanfic: what if she and Gus had been together before
I'm almost certain Gus was a
gayman.

Man, that behind the scenes with Jonathan Banks was great. I fucking love this actor now. Mike really
was the best. Now I'm all choked up again.

Saephon

Griffith said:
I'm still hoping he kills Ted on a whim, but his remorse
with Mike
the other night suggests he's still got some of his old humanity left (ironically theses are the only circumstances he shows it now).

You know, that's actually the most interesting part of episode 7 to me. It actually threw me off a bit, until
he started saying "this could have been avoided, oops, Lydia has the names."

It really makes me wonder where his character's going. You could really see Walter White for a few seconds in his face.

Griffith said:
Well, you've got just about all the pieces, the reason she did it was a calculated move to protect the kids.

Speaking of their crumbling marriage, now that Walt's surely going to be meeting Lydia
to get those names and ordering the deaths of at least 9 people...
I think they should literally get into bed together. Heisenberg needs a high class gumar with insanity to match his own. His previous failure in this regard just won't do.
I bet she thinks killing Gus and Mike is sexxxy. :carcus:
Yeah, this probably won't happen, but a guy can dream
(remember how curious she was about who killed Gus? fanfic: what if she and Gus had been together before, I think if that were true Walt would totally go for it, now that he's essentially trying to be Gus in every way)

I didn't realize it before I read your post
about Walt trying to be like Gus
and now I see it. Lydia though, wild card.
She must be grateful to Walt that he took Mike out of the equation but he also voted to kill her during the let's-call-the-DEA scene. Gus then Mike, Walt is mighty dangerous!

Griffith

WOW, I can't wait for next week's epi... awwww FUCK!

That was a stupid thing for Walt to leave lying around, I thought it was going to click much more randomly for Hank. Like he'd just see something blue in the house and BOOM, like lightning. This is real evidence (Gale's handwriting) as if Walt had just left a big bag of blue meth lying around. Nice callback on the W.W. thing, but did we actually see Gale give Walt that book or a gift at some point? If not, kinda cheap.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
That was a stupid thing for Walt to leave lying around, I thought it was going to click much more randomly for Hank. Like he'd just see something blue in the house and BOOM, lightning strike. This is real evidence (Gale's handwriting) as if Walt had just left a big bag of blue meth lying around. Nice callback on the W.W. thing, but did we actually see Gale give Walt that book or a gift at some point? If not, kinda cheap.
Agreed on all counts. Feels slightly hokey. But the effect of it overwhelms that feeling. It's a moment we've all been waiting for, and I can't wait to see this play out.

Also, the painting Walt focuses on. I'd recognized it instantly thanks to a recent reviewing, and the new light it's cast in was pretty interesting. Other than that, a pretty hum-drum episode that still leaves several loose ends before a year long break.

Makes a deal with Lydia for Czech Republic, then hangs it up? What's Walt's game here...? Maybe that's where we'll leave him at the end of the series.

Also, that prison sequence had to be one of the most violent things I've ever seen on television. Wow.

Griffith

Walter said:
Agreed on all counts. Feels slightly hokey. But the effect of it overwhelms that feeling. It's a moment we've all been waiting for, and I can't wait to see this play out.

Unfortunate choice of words. =)

Walter said:
Also, the painting Walt focuses on. I'd recognized it instantly thanks to a recent reviewing, and the new light it's cast in was pretty interesting.

Nice catch.

Walter said:
Other than that, a pretty hum-drum episode that still leaves several loose ends before a year long break.

Makes a deal with Lydia for Czech Republic, then hangs it up? What's Walt's game here...? Maybe that's where we'll leave him at the end of the series.

For a while I thought he might not be able to get out. Like when he worked for Gus, if he just stopped production that's a lot of money that stops flowing and a lot of angry, desperate people left in the lurch. Thought that would have been ironic. Oh well, this works. Think Walt would use the poison on Hank if it was "him or me?" =)

Though, the most interesting question is what Hank's going to do.

Saephon

There's gotta be something more to it than just
"I'm out." I mean, certainly the show likes to take surprising twists, but given the direction the show's been steadily going in for five seasons and what we've heard from Vince Gilligan himself, this seems difficult to take at face value. Who's to say Walt isn't just lying to Skyler because now that he's shifting his business internationally, he'll end his local operations? Makes sense to me at least. Cover up all evidence in the ABQ to Phoenix area, make it seem like it's over even to the people who knew about it. Meanwhile in Europe....

The ending was nice, though I am pretty sure we never saw Walt receive the book in real time. We did know he had it, because in an earlier episode he picked it up and smiled. But I'm not too bothered by this, partially because I spend a lot of time analyzing the show between episodes. :slan:

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
That was a funny way for
Hank to find out. To be honest, I was expecting Hank to have a much more pissed off look on his face.

The episode itself was pretty good. The prison killing scene was scary and like you guys said, very violent.

I don't recall when that Walt Whitman book was introduced... Hm...

There is no way that Walt is just "out."

Griffith

Of course he's not out, now he needs to kill his extended family! :ganishka:

BTW, my dad's ending prediction (before this episode, to be fair), was that whatever Walt has up his sleeve with the assault rifle is going to work just like all his plans do, but then he'll die of cancer. Hand of God.

I have to commend the show for tying up all the most obvious loose ends that any viewer would guess, but then calling back to that one seemingly inconsequential note you thought Walt had taken care of within a few seconds.

I also believe that Walt isn't really out. He said he was in the empire business after all and will probably find some other hidden place to stash away his cash.

Also, I wonder if the cancer's back. What other reason would there be to show that MRI scene?

I can't believe I have to wait a whole fucking year!

Top Bottom