Breaking Bad

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
The one thing I wanted to add to the ongoing conversation here is that Jesse's involvement upsets a delicate balance that Walt and Hank had worked out over the past three episodes. Walt had it all worked out. But now what?

Well, in addition to whatever consequences Jesse can bring against Walt himself (like burning his house, though it seemed pretty structurally intact later), there's of course the potential of drawing unwanted attention, and/or when he breaks off from this he could start talking to the authorities (looked like he was downtown in the preview, and is telling somebody Walter is the devil anyway). The game is going change again though now that Heisenberg's meth is moving back into New Mexico. It's literally coming back to haunt him. =)

Of course, if Jesse finally goes far enough that Walt wants/needs him dead (he may still be reluctant, frozen gun and all), Todd (who Jesse is just as much a threat to) and his gang could be useful, though I'm sure not worth the price ultimately.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
The game is going change again though now that Heisenberg's meth is moving back into New Mexico. It's literally coming back to haunt him. =)
Yep, which is actually where I think it's headed with the M60 in Walt's trunk. If Todd's gang starts recirculating blue meth locally, "Heisenberg" could live on beyond Walt. I doubt he'd be too happy with that. Maybe that gun is his way of ending his legacy.

Then again, there's the whole Ozymandias thing...

BTW, rewatching the episode, there's some incredible acting from Bob Odenkirk and Aaron Paul in this episode. It's neat that each episode so in many ways focused on a particular character: Hank, then Skylar, then Jesse.

Also, regarding Walt Jr.,
his inevitable realization is building into one of my most anticipated moments of the season. I really hope they go for the gold with it. The kid literally has Walter's name. That kid is FUCKED.

Also... sorry, I keep thinking of things... At the end of the Hank and Marie scene, she asks: "What do we do...?" Scene should have ended with Hank saying: "We do it anyway." :azan:

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Xbox video hasn't updated the episode list yet for some ungodly reason and all the spoiler text and non-spoiler exclamations in this thread is driving me crazy. I want to see this episode!

Griffith

Walter said:
Also... sorry, I keep thinking of things... At the end of the Hank and Marie scene, she asks: "What do we do...?" Scene should have ended with Hank saying: "We do it anyway." :azan:

That's what I thought was coming,
but Hank is out of Walt's league. For one thing, for all his talk, Hank is scared to go through with it. Not just because of the blowback on him, but in part because he's still a nice guy that doesn't want to light the fuse that's going to blow up the lives of everyone he cares about, thus all the stalling while Walt outmaneuvers him and gives him a great reason not to go through with it anyway. Meanwhile, Walt doesn't even enjoy winning anymore, it's just par for the course, "It worked. We're fine." Now, Jesse on the other hand is perfectly willing to light that fire, as we can see. =)

Groovy Metal Fist said:

That was hilarious. Dean Norris seems like a very funny guy, you can easily imagine him and Cranston clowning around on set all the time :guts:

That voicemail Meth Damon left at the beginning of the episode could very well be the evidence that Hank is looking for. That kid sure has a big mouth, and you can't really blame Walt for not informing his former partners in crime of his current predicament - he's seen how Lydia reacts to "heat": exactly like he does. No half measures :carcus: Also, as you said Griffith the house doesn't seem burnt at all in the flash forward...maybe Walt Jr.'s at home and that stayed Jesse's hand?

And just how effective could Jesse Pinkman's testimony be? Walt could easily incorporate it into his "Evil Mastermind Hank" story by pointing out the beatdown Jesse suffered at Hank's hands and how Hank is intimidating Jesse into a false confession.

The writers are just outdoing themselves with every episode. Man, what a great show.

Griffith

Look what I found knocking at my local Toys R Us...

bbtoy.jpg

$17.99. Even action figure Heisenberg will rip you off. Though, he's a good conversation starter with female cashiers that are fans of the show (she picked "Team Jesse" unfortunately =).

bbtoy2.jpg

For some reason the packaging has an extra clear plastic mold over his face, distorting the view. You can still tell it looks pretty good (as you'll see on the back).

bbtoy3.jpg

Also look for Walter White bobblehead and assorted plushies! Plus, the figure obviously includes bag of money, hat and sunglasses! And a gun obscured behind the blister pack art but which you can clearly see in the picture on the back. But you know what else it includes that's neither directly, indirectly, or otherwise advertised or made clearly visible?

bbtoy4.jpg

That's right, toy Heisenberg is surreptitiously holding toy meth inside Toys R Us! This toy is the danger.

^ :ganishka:

Gotta get that figure and those bobble heads.

I was going to say something but you guys already covered everything and so much more. As much as I´d like to, Im not re-watching the episodes (savoring it for some yummy complete box set down the line) so its hard to think of points to discuss, but its indeed interesting reading you guys´ speculations and thoughts.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I love that toy meth is included. I was already surprised they were selling Breaking Bad figures at Toys R Us, but the meth takes it to a whole new level.

Walter said:
I want the Hank toy with the head on turtle figurine.

Hell yes. Make it happen, Mezco!

I love that Skyler used the Godhand's argument to change Walt's mind. "What's one more body on the path to your castle your family's safety? Pile up the bodies, Walt!"

Also, Jesse's fucked.

Skeleton said:
I love that Skyler used the Godhand's argument to change Walt's mind. "What's one more body on the path to your castle your family's safety? Pile up the bodies, Walt!"

Also, Jesse's fucked.

I keep on trying to figure out if there are elements in Breaking Bad and elements in Berserk that would draw people with similar tastes, or if the Breaking Bad fan base is large enough and passionate enough that it will overlap with pretty much everything else imaginable.

Griffith

So...

It's probably going to become a lot more complicated now that Todd's uncle's gang of neo-Nazi psychos is getting involved, and as many have already guessed, they're probably going to end up killing everybody and are perhaps also reason Walt needs such a BIG GUN in the future.

Speaking of the future, will Marie's newfound knowledge of hard to trace poisons make her a natural for suspecting the ricin? Am I overthinking? :griffnotevil: No, not on this show. :femto:

Oh yeah, and since Jesse is getting everyone killed instead of just going along with a simple plan that would've worked (a plan to get Walt, exactly what he wanted!), is it actually to Walt's advantage that Jesse's now "working" with Hank? I mean, if it's anything like their time together, Jesse is bound to fuck up the whole investigation with tragic consequences. Actually, he already did! Jesse working for the opposition is the best thing that could have happened to Walt. It already saved him from confessing to a wire. It was also quite funny to see poor Hank having to work with Jesse and playing the Walt role, "You druggie idiot!" Maybe he'll have a new respect for Walt after this. :ganishka:

Seriously, it was also nice to see that Hank's dark side and an acknowledgement that Jesse isn't some innocent in one fell swoop. Jesse on the phone with Walt was classic Jesse, fucking everything up with gusto.

Griffith said:
Oh yeah, and since Jesse is getting everyone killed instead of just going along with a simple plan that would've worked (a plan to get Walt, exactly what he wanted!), is it actually to Walt's advantage that Jesse's now "working" with Hank? I mean, if it's anything like their time together, Jesse is bound to fuck up the whole investigation with tragic consequences. Actually, he already did! Jesse working for the opposition is the best thing that could have happened to Walt. It already saved him from confessing to a wire. It was also quite funny to see poor Hank having to work with Jesse and playing the Walt role, "You druggie idiot!" Maybe he'll have a new respect for Walt after this. :ganishka:

The greatness of that scene, to me, was the fact that right before it Jesse was ranting about how Walt is the devil, he's too smart, he always wins, luck is always on his side, etc. Then he unknowingly saves Walt from putting the noose around his own neck, proving what he said about him. Before he got out of the van, he should've turned to Hank and said," You know what I said earlier? Watch. This is what I mean."

The fact that Jesse somehow managed to snatch Hank's defeat from the jaws of victory, help Walt get lucky one more time, and sign his own death warrant is golden. :ganishka:

Griffith said:
Seriously, it was also nice to see that Hank's dark side and an acknowledgement that Jesse isn't some innocent in one fell swoop.

Agreed! You know, it kind of reminded me of
the old Hank from the first season and part of the second before his shootout with Tuco. Remember how Hank used to be a jokester, having a (sometimes cruel) playful/humorous attitude. He would always make jokes about the druggies and criminals they were catching or trying to catch like when he was watching the video footage of Walt and Jesse trying to steal that barrel out of the warehouse. Or how he treated Wendy when he was trying to scare Walt Jr. straight.

His comment to Gomez was really interesting to me because it showed just how much he has changed. Tuco made him realize that he isn't as safe as he thought. The cartel's turtle bomb put the fear of god in him, making him realize that there are players in the game who are far worse than the typical junkie he was used to dealing with. And Walt infuriated him by making him realize that he isn't so intelligent after all while reinforcing the fact that the drug world is full of truly terrible monsters. The words themselves had a hint of the old Hank, but instead of highlighting his innocence and playfulness it shows just how dark and jaded he has become. His humor and innocence are long gone. The cruelness is all that remains.

To make a short story long, what you said. :serpico:

Groovy Metal Fist said:
I keep on trying to figure out if there are elements in Breaking Bad and elements in Berserk that would draw people with similar tastes, or if the Breaking Bad fan base is large enough and passionate enough that it will overlap with pretty much everything else imaginable.

:ganishka:

My personal favorite crossover:

http://breakingbadamc.tumblr.com/image/59809457153

Actually, http://breakingbadamc.tumblr.com/ has a ton of crazy awesome fan art/memes.

Also, the Breaking Bad insider podcast is a ton of fun to listen to. The people behind the show drill down, analyze the show, the characters, and talk about all the crazy complicated logistics behind making this show a possibility. Each podcast thoroughly spoils the show up through the specific episode they talk about.

http://www.amctv.com/shows/breaking-bad/insider-podcast-season-5

When Anna Gunn (Sklyer) and Betsy Brandt (Marie) talked about their shattered relationship, they actually start to tear up.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Lots of tension in this episode, but it didn't really impress me overall.
Jesse may be acting smart at the end of the episode, but something tells me that Griff's right on this. The simpler path Hank had laid out would have been better. Something's going to backfire... That being said, Jesse is right that it would have been unlikely that Walt would have confessed to everything in one sit down...

My favorite bit:
all the rabid dog references, and then Jesse is actually treated like a dog by Hank, who tells Marie "He was a little keyed up, i gave him a couple sleeping pills." (and in the shot, he's laying on the bed, mouth wide open). :ganishka:

Griffith

Walter said:
Lots of tension in this episode, but it didn't really impress me overall.

Yeah, it's been ebbing and flowing every other episode so far, and like episode 2 this had a lot of nuts and bolts setup for greater things to come. Still, every episode has contained like a fan dream what-if scenario.

Walter said:
Jesse may be acting smart at the end of the episode, but something tells me that Griff's right on this. The simpler path Hank had laid out would have been better. Something's going to backfire... That being said, Jesse is right that it would have been unlikely that Walt would have confessed to everything in one sit down...

Except Walt has no idea Jesse is working with Hank, and like Hank recognized immediately from the facts, Jesse is Walt's soft spot. He's incapable of thinking clearly about him or else he'd have dumped him long ago. Same thing for Jesse as far as Walt goes, but in a sadder way because he doesn't realize Walt truly does care for him. I expect this to be the crux of the shows final tragedy, whatever that may be (Walt kills Jesse, Jesse kills Walt, everyone else they kill). I think the point is Walt would have spilled his guts and it would have been game over right there, and that in the end that would have been better for everyone, including Walt. Once you get the neo Nazis involved in your domestic issues, you're in trouble... =)

For example, Walt puts the hit out on Jesse not knowing he's mixed up with Hank... think these guys are going to know or care who he's with if they find them? Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Walt tries to call it off at the last second, or even goes full measure on them and stops it personally, getting on their bad side. Also, even though it's likely one or the other at this point, part of me even hopes Walt and Jesse have to come together again against seemingly unbeatable odds one last time. Their on again, off again partnership has been the shows pattern from the start. Together, there's nothing they can't completely fuck up!

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I was blown away by this episode.
I keep getting choked up whenever Jesse starts crying. I really feel for him. Especially when Hank confronted him while he was trying to burn down Walt's house.

I couldn't help but think, "Oh Jesse, you fucked up now," when he called Walt an asshole on the payphone. Things are about to get really messy. These are not going to be a pleasant last 4 episodes.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Yeah, it's been ebbing and flowing every other episode so far, and like episode 2 this had a lot of nuts and bolts setup for greater things to come. Still, every episode has contained like a fan dream what-if scenario.
That's true. I guess what I felt this episode was just a little impatience.

I think the point is Walt would have spilled his guts and it would have been game over right there, and that in the end that would have been better for everyone, including Walt.
But it's unlikely Walt would have spilled everything in a surreptitiously recorded confession to Jesse right there on the park bench. Maybe they'd get him on poisoning Brock... but somehow I doubt he'd specifically mention things that would get him convicted of a drug empire. Anyway, it's heresay now.

This last episode felt ... kinda similar to what Walter mentions. Or maybe it was just me erring in my expectations. I liked how you're shown
some character's kinda change ... Marie turned her bad on, Skylar turned her bad on taking it to a different level when she called for a hit on Jesse (man, that surprised me) and Hank too by the end of the episode with getting frustrated n such. I wouldn't be surprised if Jesse tries to get out of the Hank situation and try to take things in his own hands. Saul's hilarious with some of the best dialog in the episode. Walt Jr catching Walt's lies was pretty good, Walt's losing his touch.

I feel like Walt's gonna get Todd to bring Jesse to him, to reason with him. I don't think Jesse has it in him to hurt his family, did he mean his drug empire/ money? He doesn't know where it is ... unless he figured out the lottery ticket when he was over at his house? Naah, can't be.

What do you make of Jesse's scene checking out those books at Hank's place? Any meaning to the books on display or the one he picked?

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
I hate Jessie. I've hated his character since i started watching BB months ago. He's basically an excuse to keep tension high on the show. The writers must love him, because he's a cheap and easy way to stir the waters. The annoying fuckup. For me, he's just boring and predictable.
Hank, on the other hand (and a bit surpringly), has probably the most well-rounded and interesting character arc of the show. Shoud've been more prominent, right after Walts.

Top Bottom