Breaking Bad

Griffith said:
And for the record, I'm the absolute opposite when it comes to previews and superfluous material, I watch all the makings of and inside analysis for each episode because... why not? That stuff is a completely optional luxury you have to opt into, and it's pretty cool to get analysis from the makers themselves (imagine if Miura posted in the new episode threads =).

Yep, I do that for stuff I truly enjoy. With TV shows, I watch all the extra's or bonus material only after having seen the full season, not while it's airing.

Walter said:
How it ends: http://i.imgur.com/i55qMY5.png

:ganishka: someone's very happy about the situation.

It's funny because even though I don't watch it directly from TV, but keep up with it, I used to avoid any type of BB forums so I wouldn't get spoiled or find too much info. I started doing it anyway and have never been spoiled or disappointed with the episodes, in fact it somehow complements the show for me. The show is so good no one has ever really guessed what will happen on future episodes from the sources I read even though their user base is huge. It just makes me appreciate Breaking Bad even more.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
SrCraneo said:
The show is so good no one has ever really guessed what will happen on future episodes from the sources I read even though their user base is huge.
Nah... most of us here called the
"Walt poisoned Brock" thing a few episodes before it was revealed.

I haven't been reading this thread for that long. But still, I don't think that counts.
Unless you guys guessed that he was going to poison him before he was poisoned.
Otherwise there isn't that much merit to it imo.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
SrCraneo said:
I haven't been reading this thread for that long. But still, I don't think that counts.
Unless you guys guessed that he was going to poison him before he was poisoned.
Otherwise there isn't that much merit to it imo.
*shrug* I'm not saying it was a huge revelation or anything, but I can assure you that a very small percentage of fans at the time were in on that knowledge before the big reveal at the end of season 4.

Also I don't think the show has been THAT unpredictable. Or maybe it is and I just don't focus on that aspect of it.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
It's an unpredictable journey to a predictably practical conclusion. We know where certain things are likely going because it's being meticulously orchestrated before us, but often it will ultimately take a winding road full of unexpected twists and turns to get there until you have no idea how it's going to anymore (I think season 4 represents this well). I look at Berserk sort of the same way. I'm not surprised by a lot of the big moments because Miura very meticulously sets them up, they're well supported by the material and for him to satisfyingly deliver on the promise of it is expected, and he has again and again, but there's also plenty of whimsy and Sea Gods along the way. Stories that don't achieve this balance are the ones that become boring or go off the rails until they just "don't feel right" anymore, and it's what I appreciate most about the writing of both. They have a strong foundation and structure able to support and ground wild improvisation, which are each instrumental in the effectiveness of the other.

I couldn't have said it better than that.

Also I read Vince once again saying next episode is the tits:

VG: I think these last three episodes, not to overstate it, and you could say this about the last eight, but with these last three in particular you need to install a seat belt on your sofa, you need to wear a crash helmet and a diaper. [laughs] I tell ya, this next episode (entitled “Ozymandias”), I think for my money, is the best episode we ever had had or ever will have. It was written by Moira Walley-Beckett and directed by Rian Johnson.

Only one day and a half left :ubik:

(I haven't finished reading but apparently this link might have indicators of what might happen next so be careful)
http://www.tvfanatic.com/2013/09/breaking-bad-exclusive-vince-gilligan-teases-heart-attack-conclu/#ixzz2eqyRFhaB

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
SrCraneo said:
I tell ya, this next episode (entitled “Ozymandias”) ... directed by Rian Johnson.
Rian Johnson also directed "Fly" from season 3, which was a very polarizing episode. Some loved it, some hated it. Nevertheless, I liked Brick, so I always root for the guy.

Walter said:
Rian Johnson also directed "Fly" from season 3, which was a very polarizing episode. Some loved it, some hated it. Nevertheless, I liked Brick, so I always root for the guy.

Yeah he's pretty cool. There's an article on Rolling Stone about him directing the episode. I didn't know about him directing Brick, though. I've gotten recommendations to see that movie so I'll definitely check it out.

Griffith

Walter said:
Rian Johnson also directed "Fly" from season 3, which was a very polarizing episode. Some loved it, some hated it.

Very? I mean, I can see some people liking it better than others (it's like the only "evergreen" episode in the series), but it's hardly the best or worst (reminds me of 4 Days Out, which they may have even mentioned in the episode).
The biggest takeaway for me, aside from the humorous study of Walt's... eccentricities, was his guilt and almost confessing to Jesse about Jane's death. Speaking of, remember when Walt would habitually fuck up when he was fucked up? Hank should have gotten Walt high if he wanted a confession. Used to be his kryptonite, then it was poetry. Walt should have just gotten drunk at the backyard barbeque and told Hank to his face, "I'm Heisenberg you idiot! :daiba:"

SrCraneo said:
Yeah he's pretty cool. There's an article on Rolling Stone about him directing the episode. I didn't know about him directing Brick, though. I've gotten recommendations to see that movie so I'll definitely check it out.

We'd also be remiss if we didn't point out that he directed Looper, as well as "Fifty-One" from last season, which definitely featured some highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGhkgzvucHU

Other memorable moments included the TICK TICK TICKing watch
and of course that nasty fight where Skyler announces her plan to wait for the cancer to kill Walt, who had seemingly forgotten his impending mortality until she pointed it out.
So, they're not messing around, one of writer from "Fly" also, as well as last season's finale "Gliding All Over."

Speaking of messing around though, remember the Breaking Bad webisodes? Probably not, they're clearly from before it had achieved "best show ever" contender status. Walt would have used this as insurance in case Hank ever found him out, except it's incriminating for all involved:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AukT8zRV6iI

Yep, and there's your DEA super sleuth. BEST SHOW EVER! =)

P.S. Half hour until show time, wanna take bets on if Walt ends the episode getting in the red minivan, bound for the Granite State?

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Man...
I was holding out a hope that Hank (and Gomie) would make it out alive, but I guess it was unavoidable. I can't help but feel like Hank's death was foreshadowed a little too heavily in the previous episode, where he called Marie and said he loved her. Maybe the writers intended it that way? Hard to tell.

All-in-all, there have been stressful moments throughout the show, but I have never been this uncomfortable over the course of an entire episode. Bomb after bomb, and still two episodes left? :magni:

Johnstantine said:
I watched Jane die.

My jaw hit the fucking floor.

I'm still reeling! The
flashback at the beginning of the episode is adding insult to injury. While it's been the case for a few episodes, it just hit me tonight that there's no going back for those two.
:sad:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Skeleton: You're lucky that you aren't a betting man.

Also looking back at something Jesse said: "
Walter Whit is the devil."
From the looks of it Todd is the devil and hell is a meth lab you can't leave.

Deci

Haha, well done Griffith!

That phone call between Walt and Skyler is one of my favorite moments in TV history at the moment.

Griffith

Grail said:
Man...
I was holding out a hope that Hank (and Gomie) would make it out alive, but I guess it was unavoidable. I can't help but feel like Hank's death was foreshadowed a little too heavily in the previous episode, where he called Marie and said he loved her. Maybe the writers intended it that way? Hard to tell.

Well, it was certainly made more pivotal by Marie's actions and their consequences. I don't know if that makes it better or worse for people over-scrutinizing this aspect of the show. =) I mean, would a guy like Jack ever, especially after a bigger score than he could ever dream of, let a loose end like Walt walk away with the goods on him? Good thing my disbelief is suspended.

Grail said:
All-in-all, there have been stressful moments throughout the show, but I have never been this uncomfortable over the course of an entire episode. Bomb after bomb, and still two episodes left? :magni:

Agreed, I had to towel off after!
Spoiler: Gross.

Grail said:
I'm still reeling! The
flashback at the beginning of the episode is adding insult to injury. While it's been the case for a few episodes, it just hit me tonight that there's no going back for those two.
:sad:

What do you mean? Whether he knows it or not Walt is well on his way to saving Jesse right now...

Deci said:
Haha, well done Griffith!

There was just no other way.

Deci said:
That phone call between Walt and Skyler is one of my favorite moments in TV history at the moment.

Yeah, the understanding between them there was the weirdest sweet moment ever. Also, "Found him" and "Let's cook." Chilling. Maybe he isn't coming to rescue Jesse with that gun, yeesh. I think the most amazing thing was him driving away with Holly, just stunning and a new low when I thought it was no longer possible.

Anyway, I'll cast my dye early this time since it seems somewhat clear at this point (famous last words). We'll see Walt's shitty new life in New Hampshire, a transition episode ending with him heading back to save his family from the cops, go after Jesse and/or just plain get revenge for stealing his money and destroying his life (I'm sure Todd will keep it as under wraps as possible that Jesse is his meth monkey so he can take all the credit, but if Walter still follows the scene at all, maybe through Saul, and gets wind of the quality, he'll know). So, in the finale, Walt enacts brilliant plan, goes full Heisenberg and neutralizes the DEA and Nazis in one fell swoop, saves his family and Jesse along the way, and then, perhaps even with Walt's blessing, Jesse kills him for Jane and as final karmic retribution for Wayfarer 515, and we come full circle. Whew, after all that tension I'm feeling better already just thinking about this inspirational story of redemption! =) Yeah, wishful thinking; it'll probably be far uglier.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Ahhhhhh! :ubik:
What else can be said? Who is rooting for Walt now ? In my opinion it will take a while for other show to make me feel as anxious to wait for an episode or season. I remember exactly where I was in 2008 when the first episode aired, it feels so long and yet so vivid .

Did anyone here noticed the reappearance of
Walt's pants from the first episode
in last night's episode?
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/7408/jt5n.jpg

Griffith

Saephon said:
Can we go ahead and give Bryan Cranston the Emmy? This episode might be his best acting yet.

If they send this episode for consideration it should be a sweep in every category... but, they'll probably give it to Homeland again or Mad Men for the umpteenth time.

TheBranded1 said:
What else can be said? Who is rooting for Walt now ?

Always. :griffnotevil:

Hitoshura said:
Did anyone here noticed the reappearance of
Walt's pants from the first episode
in last night's episode?
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/7408/jt5n.jpg

"He has good eyes!" Even Michael Beard is impressed by that sighting.

Griffith said:
I think the most amazing thing was him driving away with Holly, just stunning and a new low when I thought it was no longer possible.

And hearing Holly say "Maa mama" or cry in the end all alone was pretty touching. I didn't expect him to give her back after talking to Skylar the way he did. Did he lie to her on purpose about Hank instead of coming clean? Show that he's the bad guy, so all the blame is on him ... maybe he knew the cops would be all over his place and he's trying to take the fall for everything to save the family from suspicion? Man, MAN! Maybe he's not all that bad after all.

I liked the opening scenes after the flashback, they got right to it.

A lot went down this episode. Jr now knows of his dad and didn't hesitate to call 911 and say his father was the first to attack while protecting Skylar. Todd saying "Sorry for your loss" shows his respect for Walt but I get a sense that ALL of him isn't as cold as his uncle. If it comes down to killing Lydia, he may have a big conflict of interest and maybe either try to fore-warn her or kill his uncle?

I agree with your prediction, Griffith. I think Walt telling Jesse about Jane will make Jesse probably kill him in the end when all the dust has settled. If Jesse was going to be tortured and killed, Walt had no reason to tell him about Jane. Most chilling moment this episode, for me.

Thinking about what I said above about Walt seeming to take the fall in that phone call - again, nothing really tied the empire to him (as we all discussed on here before), Hank had no evidence but now with this call, he talks about Hank's disappearance, threatens her the same fate and tells everyone he's the bad guy? Hhmmm. Trying to wrap my head around it, crap it's 5, time for a power nap.

Wow... Just too much epic shit in one go here.
Was so hard watching Walt miserably failing trying to handle the situation.

Why was Jr so anti-Walt and called the cops though? It wasn't like he was gonna cut Skyler now? Seriously?

Griffith

IncantatioN said:
I didn't expect him to give her back after talking to Skylar the way he did. Did he lie to her on purpose about Hank instead of coming clean? Show that he's the bad guy, so all the blame is on him ... maybe he knew the cops would be all over his place and he's trying to take the fall for everything to save the family from suspicion? Man, MAN! Maybe he's not all that bad after all.

That's precisely what he was doing and she knew it, which is why it was such a bizarrely sweet moment. At first I figured he was also giving them time to trace the call to Holly's location, but I guess I was over-thinking it.

Hanma_Baki said:
Was so hard watching Walt miserably failing trying to handle the situation.

There wasn't really anything he could do though, Marie's intervention was the final nail in the coffin, but it was over with Hank's death, sooner or later. I mean, MAYBE he could have explained with more time if he'd gotten them to go, but as it is Skyler wouldn't stand for it; Marie and especially Jr. had basically broken Walt's spell over her and reset her moral compass.

Hanma_Baki said:
Why was Jr so anti-Walt and called the cops though? It wasn't like he was gonna cut Skyler now? Seriously?

Consider the way his father was acting and all Jr. had heard, including that Walt had killed Hank, which Walt couldn't even convincingly deny, and then Walt ends up hovering over her with a knife... I mean, that whole scene, including the abduction, was just running on pure emotion.

Walter said:

Pretty much, as the opening signaled, this was the culmination of everything, and the whole series could have very well ended with the end of this episode. At this point, whatever comes next feels like it's just going to be an epilogue, though I'm sure I'll feel differently about it next week, and hopefully we won't be saying it should have ended this way in two. =) Gilligan has pretty much showed his hand saying there's no way they could top this, but then he might be cleverly managing expectations or setting up whatever else they have in store.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Hanma_Baki said:
The kid was THE most morally grounded person on the show. It's not a surprise at all. He did the right thing.

Top Bottom