Prometheus

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
hellrasinbrasin said:
I think the beauty of it is that right now everyone has there own working theories about what Prometheus is or isn't.
What flavor Kool-Aid are you drinking?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
hellrasinbrasin said:
I think the beauty of it is that right now everyone has there own working theories about what Prometheus is or isn't.

One could say such pap in vague praise of any movie, e.g.:

"I think the beauty of Dude, Where's My Car? is that right now everyone has there own working theories about what where the car is or isn't."

Same answer as Prometheus too: Alien, dude.

Walter said:
What flavor Kool-Aid are you drinking?

I only caught a whiff of it and this was my reaction:

hi_michael_bolton.jpg

Anyway, the best part of that generously reverent take on the relevancy of this coming motion picture event is that absolutely nobody here has been genuinely intellectually curiosity or enthusiastic about what exactly Prometheus is (other than to say, "It looks like this, but I hope not"). As it stands, the meaning of "Prometheus" is the potential of the film to be good or even great, and how it lives up to that is how it will ultimately be judged, not on the potential itself. Speaking of which, Ridley Scott on Prometheus, the film, the ship, or whatever the thematic/symbolic meaning:

"When the first Alien movie and Blade Runner were made, I thought that in the near future the world will be owned by large companies. This is why we have the Tyrell Corporation in Blade Runner, and Weyland-Yutani in Alien. They sent the Nostromo spaceship.

The Prometheus is owned by an entrepreneur called Peter Weyland, who is played by Guy Pearce. That's the connection between the two films, and nothing more. Prometheus is a new film, a new world, and is full of new ideas."

Full disclosure on why I'm so pessimistic (not really a spoiler, but a downer for sure =):
I was carefree about spoilers early on and saw something I didn't much care for. Hopefully it wasn't what it seemed.
Since then I've basically been avoiding everything on it and hoping it was nothing, the less known the better. So, I should definitely avoid the International Trailer then? It might reignite my enthusiasm though, but then that would raise my expectations! :magni:

H

hellrasinbrasin

... From what has been shown in the Trailer and this is my assumption.

- The planet is a Garden of Earthly Delights. The Derelict is a vessel used for the planting of creation matrix's on uninhabited worlds. The Urns become whatever life forms they are programed to form. The world is teeming with parasitic lifeforms that self-evolve
upon entering a new organism.

- The Snake in the Ampule Chamber is in its base form. Its 2nd incarnation can be seen emerging from a dead scientists mouth in the Ampule Chamber with a familiar mouth.
(1st/2nd cut of Launch Trailer)

This's what I think Prometheus really is -
it's the name of the ship that the crew is on (OBVIOUSLY hehe), you hear them call that in the trailer(s). It's sort of like the ship itself is out there to make discoveries or contact with other life and bring that knowledge or whatever back to Earth, similar to mythology where Prometheus steals from the Gods for humans. That's my analogy of it.

The trailers collectively give out a lot of spoilers -

1. You see Rapace's character being infected with a bloated belly and in subsequent scenes with greenish blood walking in the hall-way with a cut on her belly. This would mean she had the baby cut out of her or whatever that was in her cut out of her.

2. You see old man Weyland (Pierce) in a wheelchair on the ship after Rapace has had the thing cut out of her. Maybe he got on board the ship without their knowledge? Fassbender is kinda shown to be awake before everyone else so he could easily hide Weyland during that time.

3. Rapace meets a Space Jockey towards the end or something smaller because they're supposed to be really tall/ big boned. Maybe it's the Space Jockey in it's early child form? Which may mean maybe it's a hybrid after the infection with the substance Fassbender brings back with him on ship. That's why they don't want the other ship to go to Earth cos the green stuff successfully mutates with humans to form Space Jockey's. In one of the scenes we see SJ pods like sleeping pods or something, so maybe they're a) a dying race and b) calling species to them (?) to see if they have a match on making more of themselves using the green substance. When they see it successfully playing out with humans, they decide to go to Earth for mass-produce. So if humans turn into SJ's post infection and transformation, I think somehow the SJ gets infected by a hybrid and his ship crashed, chest busted and the new being is a Xenomorph we see in Alien. Far fetch, doesn't make sense considering this movie's supposed to happen years before Alien. But I can see SOME ideas coming true, not the whole thing haha!

Griffith said:
So, I should definitely avoid the International Trailer then? It might reignite my enthusiasm though, but then that would raise my expectations! :magni:

I would at least watch the previous 2 minute international trailer. Its quite good, if anything watch it just for the old Alien trailer sound effects towards the end. Avoid the latest 3 minute international trailer.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
I want to be in the podcast and defend the flawed masterpiece that is Alien 3 (the assembly cut). :iva:

NightCrawler said:
I want to be in the podcast and defend the flawed masterpiece that is Alien 3 (the assembly cut). :iva:
That would be cool ... though I feel like that movie is beyond saving. Whether Fincher was dicked over or not, seeing the final product isn't a proud moment for any fan of the franchise (I'd like to believe that haha)!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I actually haven't seen Alien 3 yet. I'm going to watch it before the recording. :void:

Walter said:
I actually haven't seen Alien 3 yet. I'm going to watch it before the recording. :void:

If you have the time watch Theatrical AND Director's. You can't 'get' the Director's Cut unless you've seen the Theatrical. I say you experience the film as the majority of us did and stick to what was shown in theaters.

Walter said:
I actually haven't seen Alien 3 yet.

...Why?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
If you have the time watch Theatrical AND Director's. You can't 'get' the Director's Cut unless you've seen the Theatrical. I say you experience the film as the majority of us did and stick to what was shown in theaters.
I should watch a movie that most people say was crap TWICE? :ganishka:

Well, the answer is embarrassing. I'll talk about it on the podcast.

Walter said:
Make it easy for me. Tell me which I should see.
Director's cut >Theatrical cut.

Alien Resurrection too?

Btw, I said earlier that between the end of Prometheus and Alien the time gap is 2 or something years - wrong - sorry about that, it's 30 years instead.

Walter said:

Most people are fucking morons. Alien 3 isn't crap. People's hard on for the Director's Cut of Alien 3 is just that, a hard on. It's not on the same level of it's predecessors. I don't want to spoil anything for you. Go in and enjoy Weaver in this one. That is all. Oh and enjoy Charles Dance and Charles S. Dutton. Alien 3 has some solid performances in it. Bad CGI, really bad CGI, but solid acting.

Alien Resurrection? Yea...don't watch that. FUCK IT. Watch it to see what a BAD Alien movie is. DO IT.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:

Exactly, what a joke. You should watch the theater version, and for one simple reason: it's shorter.

H

hellrasinbrasin

You wanna watch a crap Alien film twice watch both Avp films.

Aazealh said:
Exactly, what a joke. You should watch the theater version, and for one simple reason: it's shorter.
Hahaha! He's right too.

I hear you Proj, but you have to look at the movie as a whole without singling out the acting or the CGI or the script or the directing or the cinematography. But you get to see Fincher's pissed off interview if you have the Blu Ray set. There were what 3/4 re-writes of the script!?

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Proj2501 said:
Most people are fucking morons. Alien 3 isn't crap. People's hard on for the Director's Cut of Alien 3 is just that, a hard on. It's not on the same level of it's predecessors. I don't want to spoil anything for you. Go in and enjoy Weaver in this one. That is all. Oh and enjoy Charles Dance and Charles S. Dutton. Alien 3 has some solid performances in it. Bad CGI, really bad CGI, but solid acting.

Alien Resurrection? Yea...don't watch that. FUCK IT. Watch it to see what a BAD Alien movie is. DO IT.

I agree completely, and i'll also add, it has undoubtedly the best score from any Alien movie, and in my opinion the best acting. Even though Sigourney's oscar nom for Aliens was deserving, i think Alien 3 has better character interaction.
Also, the love for Alien 3 has been growing, mainly because people have detached themselves from Aliens throughout the years. That attachment was the main reason why fans hated Alien 3, because they kill off two (or 3) main characters right from the beginning. And since people love the gun-ho and clichéd cardboard characters from Aliens (something that Cameron excels at doing), they wanted Alien 3 to be Aliens 2. Actually most stupid fans just want fucking space marines vs xenomorphs, for them that's the essence of the Alien franchise. When you're a kid, you'd be glad with that. But nowadays i see many people going against Aliens for it's dated look, the over the top cheesy acting and dialogue, and for ruining the Alien life cycle. It's still probably the best action movie on par with Die Hard, an intense roller-coaster ride.

What Alien 3 tried to do, and in many parts succeeded, was to finish Ripley's story and bring back the bleak atmosphere of the original. In many ways being more harrowing due to it's nihilistic tone.
I can see why people hated the movie, doesn't follow Aliens, it's a complete downer (it's probably one of the most pessimistic, despairing, distressful blockbusters i've ever seen), it has too many unrecognizable characters with thick english accents, no guns, no action, almost no technology.

Walter, do yourself a favor, watch the assembly cut (it's not a directors cut, there's no such thing, because Fincher never did it - he stayed away from the movie for most of his career, but i've seen some recent interviews where he sounds like he warmed up to it), it's a different film in many ways, it's not like your average "directors cut" with added scenes, many plot points are changed, so much that some pivotal scenes in the plot are completely different from the theatrical cut, and make way more sense in the story.
You already know that the movie is flawed, no one questions this, it had a really troubled production, but it is a fitting end to the franchise.
I love it, always did, and i'll always defend it.

My bad, it's the Assembly Cut ... about 25-30 minutes of added footage and the story is different, as NightCrawler rightly pointed out.

I like Aliens but it's not pure horror like Alien.

I don't know if anyone's noticed but for some reason the Director's cut (don't remember about the Theatrical) on Aliens looks less crisp or less beautiful/ rich than Alien. I noticed it on the BR release.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
I didn't mind Alien 3 so much, but when I read some of the other scripts and routes they could have gone...it left me wanting more and more. The performances were definitely better than Aliens, and the characters were a bit better, too. Not worlds better, but definitely more substance to them. It's a little bit easier to do that when you have a group of flawed individuals, as opposed to a group of space marines ready for action (which is why I like Aliens to begin with).

Alien Resurrection was shit, but it's sort of my guilty pleasure movie.

H

hellrasinbrasin

This sounds like an R-Rated Scott film to me.

Fox released an audio file 1 Minute in length containing dialogue from a scene in the film. Below is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aIWERkzeHkk

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
You guys should continue analyzing Aliens to convey just how vital Alien 3 is. That says it all, really. =)

There's a reason one is the measuring stick by which you're trying to quantify the other positively, and it's not because the stick is broken. So, trying to make Alien 3 look better by comparison to Aliens will get you nowhere with me. For starters, everything listed as flawed about Aliens is worse in Alien 3. Dated visuals, cliche characters, over the top dialogue and acting, but without the focus, ambition, or payoff (even the finale is riddled with cliches). I mean, it's a hodge-podge of a story (you probably know the disastrous production history better than I do) that amounts to a goose egg unless you're literally projecting some sort of abstract meaning on it all, and being essentially rudderless helps people do just that.

Which is also why people still don't like the way they killed off the principles from Aliens, because it was just an arbitrary dump (literally, they just didn't know what to do with them in any of their scripts) that didn't pay off in any meaningful way (unless you count a crass autopsy scene, "eww gross!" =). One could forgive it if there was some thematic purpose to their deaths, or even if they told a worthwhile story after, but they really didn't unless you're into movies about filthy bald British stereotypes (was it really directed by a young David Fincher, or Guy Richie?) and... not much else, unless you're also into the reformed black preacher man/magical negro cliche. So really, it's no less generic, it just appeals to a different sort, and the perception that it's different is part of that appeal (or specifically, like Nightcrawler, you could have just liked it when you were young and grown the movie in your mind over the years; not so different in principle than being a kid into Space Marines =). Actually, Alien 3 is much more generic considering how many movies out there are stylistically like it, only better, and how few ever did what Aliens set out to do (or as well). There's a reason people so desire(d) another movie like Aliens, and a reason nobody has been able to deliver it despite giving us all the Aliens, army men, and even Predators we can handle. It's just too bad to hear it being taken for granted now.

Anyway, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'll give Alien 3 another chance when David Fincher does. I'm clearly not pro-Alien 3, but even I want to like it. I just need some better reasons, because when I watch it, I don't see a misunderstood movie so much as a very flawed one that had big shoes to fill.

Johnstantine said:
Alien Resurrection was shit, but it's sort of my guilty pleasure movie.

I can see that, but just think: in five more years we can seriously reconsider its merits as a film! Worst Alien movie, or the most avant-garde!? By then Alien 3 will be an undisputed classic, so we can challenge its safeness in comparison to the do-anything, nothing-is-sacred daring of Resurrección. :troll:

H

hellrasinbrasin

In all the build up to Prometheus everyone has forgotten about another Alien Universe project Aliens : Colonial Marines.

If that's the new game that's sort of coinciding with Prometheus's release date, then I've already pre-ordered it ... I think 2/3 months ago.

Top Bottom