Does a lot of gaming affect you ...

... or has it already affected you in any way?

Recently I picked up a Caanoo and I've been playing a lot of NES, SNES, Nestron games. The last games I played actively were Duke Nukem 3D and Quake 2 about a decade ago. Studying and work left me no time for games, but I've tried to make a good effort recently. Since getting the Caanoo, I've been playing games at home or when I travel.

Yesterday I played Contra in the subway for 40 minutes and got out. I noticed my vision blur around everything, I couldn't see facial features (of the people I walked past) clearly and it took like 3/4 minutes to get my vision back to normal (after a lot of funny squinting hehe). I'm not sure if the disorientation was because I wasn't used to gaming all this while and suddenly got into it actively or whether it was normal to have after looking into a small screen constantly. I haven't had this problem with marathon movie/ anime/ tv series watches.

I have a case of Myopia, I don't wear glasses and the number I have is around the 1.00 range in both my eyes. I've never needed to wear glasses per say, but I'm contemplating it. Nothing sits on my phat long wonky nose.

Share your experiences!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
No, but like staring at anything too long it can tire my eyes, though I can usually go as long as I want without bother. Though, I was also able to stare at a 3DS screen on full blast all day right out of the box and not feel phased, while some people get a headache or sick just at the sight of it, so maybe I'm already beyond hope from a lifetime of gaming/computering. I do feel tired from staying up all night playing Infinite Space the last two days. =)

Anyway, your problem sounds like it might have more to do with you, your gaming layoff, playing on the subway, or some combination. Heck, maybe you just got up too fast.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The only instances of games affecting me aren't serious conditions or anything, just odd occurrences.

When I was young, playing Game Boy too long made those tinny, high-pitched sounds echo in my head throughout the day. I swear I could hear them even when they weren't playing.

When StarCraft first came out, I played it so much one night that when I was supposed to wake up for school, I was trying to reason out how to move my units with right click in order to brush my teeth, and was puzzled why it wasn't working.

Anyone familiar with Tetris Attack or as it's known on the DS, Planet Puzzle League, can attest to this being a real thing: after you play it enough, you can literally play it in your head almost as well as the real thing. I'm doing it right now, and I'm doing pretty good! Great game.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:

Not really.

IncantatioN said:
I have a case of Myopia, I don't wear glasses and the number I have is around the 1.00 range in both my eyes. I've never needed to wear glasses per say, but I'm contemplating it. Nothing sits on my phat long wonky nose.

You should know myopia evolves with age. Until a certain point your brain can correct your vision (what a wonderful organ, isn't it?) but it's possible that with age (that's right, you're old now) your vision has gotten worse. Consult an ophthalmologist to know for sure.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
You should keep in mind how long you've been up while playing these games. Even good eyes get blurry after being up for too long.

As for what gaming has done to me, nothing. I'm kinda burned out from games now, I read more instead.

I notice that I hold my breath unknowingly when I'm too engrossed in games. Of course, you will breathe again, but I think it cuts off the oxygen to your brain and might lead to the scenario you experienced.

As Mr Miyagi points out, "Remember to breathe!!!"

I'm allergic to all video cards in modern videogames and computers. I can play as far as the PS2/GC era of videogames and emulating Playstation 1 (without OpenGL plugins) with no problems, but if I try anything more modern than that my eyeballs burn and go red within minutes. The last game I played to completion, I think, was Portal 2, and I had to use anti-allergy eyedrops for days.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Eluvei said:
I'm allergic to all video cards in modern videogames and computers. I can play as far as the PS2/GC era of videogames and emulating Playstation 1 (without OpenGL plugins) with no problems, but if I try anything more modern than that my eyeballs burn and go red within minutes. The last game I played to completion, I think, was Portal 2, and I had to use anti-allergy eyedrops for days.

How can one be allergic to a graphics card? The terminology must be wrong or something...

Aazealh said:
How can one be allergic to a graphics card? The terminology must be wrong or something...

The ophthalmologist I went to didn't do any exams to determine the exact cause, but it's definitely an allergy that only happens when a graphics card is hot enough for the fans to spin slightly more than when it's idle. It happens while I'm around an Xbox 360, a Radeon or an Nvidia card while they're being used. That's all I know so far.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Eluvei said:
The ophthalmologist I went to didn't do any exams to determine the exact cause, but it's definitely an allergy that only happens when a graphics card is hot enough for the fans to spin slightly more than when it's idle. It happens while I'm around an Xbox 360, a Radeon or an Nvidia card while they're being used. That's all I know so far.
If you're serious, which I'm still not sure you are, you may have a case against manufacturers of these cards.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Eluvei said:

But why just graphics cards? Why not CPUs or PSUs as well? Seems a bit hokey to me, though I trust your feedback on the matter. Maybe an allergy to dust? But it'd be triggered by other things as well... And what if the X360 is far enough away, or what if the computer is below the desk and away from your eyes or something? I don't know man, it's hard to believe.

I did a bit of googling. The closest thing i found is this this.

The extent to which individuals experience visual symptoms often depends on the level of their visual abilities and the amount of time spent looking at the computer screen. Uncorrected vision problems like farsightedness and astigmatism, inadequate eye focusing or eye coordination abilities, and aging changes of the eyes, such as presbyopia, can all contribute to the development of visual symptoms when using a computer.

I think this might interest you, i believe that you should visit the doctor again (or maybe get a second opinion).

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Walter said:
Anyone familiar with Tetris Attack or as it's known on the DS, Planet Puzzle League, can attest to this being a real thing: after you play it enough, you can literally play it in your head almost as well as the real thing. I'm doing it right now, and I'm doing pretty good! Great game.
LOL, I played tetris attack alot as a kid and about a month ago i got an emulator of it on my phone and it's still loads of fun. and yes, after I finish playing, (usually by being brutally defeated by a computer) I have the tendency to chain combos in my head. :ganishka:

Walter said:
If you're serious, which I'm still not sure you are, you may have a case against manufacturers of these cards.

Well, I'm not joking. I dunno about having a case against them, guess I'll look into it when I have more time.

Aazealh said:
But why just graphics cards? Why not CPUs or PSUs as well? Seems a bit hokey to me, though I trust your feedback on the matter. Maybe an allergy to dust? But it'd be triggered by other things as well... And what if the X360 is far enough away, or what if the computer is below the desk and away from your eyes or something? I don't know man, it's hard to believe.

I don't know why the other components don't affect me, but it started when I bought a 9600 GT. I mean, the exact day. There's no way it's anything else. And all cards from both famous brands that are as good as or better than the one I mentioned also affect me. I haven't tested older ones yet.

And while I still didn't put enough effort into finding exactly what's my problem (like that allergy test where they get tears from your eye to analyze what's in them and stuff), it's only when the graphics card is being used. I guess it could be the CPU or something, but I think it's unlikely. It's not an allergy to dust or any substance that may be around the fans, or I'd be affected by the larger fans too, like you said. From what I could notice, it's just this simple: when a graphics card is being used by a program, this happens.

Rus said:
I think this might interest you, i believe that you should visit the doctor again (or maybe get a second opinion).

I'm also affected when I'm just around someone that is playing a videogame, I don't have to look at the screen or anything. And the symptoms get worst when I'm exposed for a long time: I start feeling a strong plastic-like smell and sometimes cough.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Eluvei said:
Well, I'm not joking. I dunno about having a case against them, guess I'll look into it when I have more time.
If you can scientifically conclude that certain graphics cards are producing a harmful effect on you, an effect which isn't warned by a user license or able to be avoided, that's an open-and-shut product liability lawsuit.

it's only when the graphics card is being used. I guess it could be the CPU or something, but I think it's unlikely. It's not an allergy to dust or any substance that may be around the fans, or I'd be affected by the larger fans too, like you said. From what I could notice, it's just this simple: when a graphics card is being used by a program, this happens.
Extremely strange. CPUs don't output anything but rudimentary heat, which is dissipated by heatsinks and fans. It's certainly not some foreign substance that could produce an allergy.

It could be that when electronic components heat up, they give off an odor that causes your sinuses to react badly. I assume this doesn't happen around cell phones though? My wife has asthma, and a strange side effect is that her sinuses react whenever I'm cooking meat and it gives off steam or a small plume of smoke. Yours could be ... uh... an extreme case?

Walter said:
If you can scientifically conclude that certain graphics cards are producing a harmful effect on you, an effect which isn't warned by a user license or able to be avoided, that's an open-and-shut product liability lawsuit.

That's very interesting!

Walter said:
It could be that when electronic components heat up, they give off an odor that causes your sinuses to react badly. I assume this doesn't happen around cell phones though? My wife has asthma, and a strange side effect is that her sinuses react whenever I'm cooking meat and it gives off steam or a small plume of smoke. Yours could be ... uh... an extreme case?

I have absolutely no idea. The only thing that gives me similar symptoms is when there's an extremely dry weather, and even then it's nothing in comparison to how I get when I play modern videogames. This is the first time I had any health problems of this kind. Guess I'll go see an allergy doctor and check this out real soon.

turkitage

ターク
IncantatioN said:
Yesterday I played Contra in the subway for 40 minutes and got out. I noticed my vision blur around everything, I couldn't see facial features (of the people I walked past) clearly and it took like 3/4 minutes to get my vision back to normal (after a lot of funny squinting hehe).

I think like mentioned earlier that it has a lot to do with staring at a screen then suddenly looking away. If I'm in the first few rows of a movie theater then I get out of that dark theater into light it takes my eyes a while to adjust again. Same thing really if you've been staring are varies of LCD screens (especially small ones like you said to be even MORE stressful on your eyes) for a long period of time I think this could happen. If you know your vision is not the best you might as well check out an eye doctor. I've never wore glasses until like.. two months ago.. it gave me headaches the first few weeks to adjust but it's well worth it to see things clearly now. I think that even though you say you have a "phat long wonky nose" (hah) you'll probably find the right pair of glasses as usually they have a ton of different selections for different types of faces, if that's what you're interested in doing. Plus, they'll usually help you out to pick one that doesn't pinch or anything. -glasses Pinching reminds me of the George Costanza eps where he notices the glasses he trades were ladies glasses and they pinched! .. but couldn't find the youtube video to link. :judo:

IncantatioN said:
Share your experiences!

It's been a long time since I played a game for a long period of time before I get bored with it but when I got Demon's Souls a while ago I ended up staying up all night playing it. The first day was like 6 hours non stop and I was like.. wow this is good. The second day I pretty much played at like 8PM till like 11AM the next day and didn't even notice the day had changed until around 8/9AM when the sun was coming out. I didn't even need to sleep that day as I had a lot of energy from playing. I was still dazed and after sleeping normally and finishing the game that weekend the next week or two nothing could peak my interest and everything was so boring compared to that enthralling experience I had. Almost similar to when I had played WoW for like two years straight, every night and weekend. When I finally stopped... everything was so empty and boring and I couldn't even imagine what to do with my time and why I wasted so much of it. So I'd suggest, whatever you do, do it in doses! Too much of anything is a bad thing.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Eluvei said:
it's only when the graphics card is being used. I guess it could be the CPU or something, but I think it's unlikely.

The graphics card is "being used" as soon as you start the computer though. Not as intensely as when you're playing a game obviously, but it's used nevertheless.

Eluvei said:
I have absolutely no idea. The only thing that gives me similar symptoms is when there's an extremely dry weather, and even then it's nothing in comparison to how I get when I play modern videogames. This is the first time I had any health problems of this kind. Guess I'll go see an allergy doctor and check this out real soon.

Maybe it could be something akin to dry eye syndrome? But coughing and smelling plastic doesn't fit with the symptoms... I don't know man but it seems odd to me. I don't see what could be the cause. Especially if your computer case is closed (or your console 2 or 3 meters away) and the room well ventilated. If you ever find out what's causing it please give me an update.

Aazealh said:
I don't see what could be the cause. Especially if your computer case is closed (or your console 2 or 3 meters away) and the room well ventilated. If you ever find out what's causing it please give me an update.

A ventilated room and opening the case make it more bearable, which is why I assumed it has something to do to the heat that comes out of the card (it's what I meant with "being used"), or something like that. Well, I'll let you know when I go to the doctor.

That's pretty interesting Walter and Eluvei.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll see what the doctors here would charge for a normal eye-check up considering I don't have medical insurance because I can't afford it (ha ha ha >_>' it's true). I've also honestly not had to time to do research on what carrier to go with and didn't end up having it ever since I got out of Oxford's payment plan of $350 (approx) a month ... like 3 years ago. I felt the same disorientation of my vision this morning too after a 40 min gaming spree on the subway and adjusting my focus took the same time as before.

Agree with you Aaz on the brain helping correct one's vision over time. I always believed wearing glasses would restrict me to that particular power or number (however one calls it).

Time to grab some carrot juice!

Turkitage said:
I think that even though you say you have a "phat long wonky nose" (hah) you'll probably find the right pair of glasses as usually they have a ton of different selections for different types of faces, if that's what you're interested in doing. Plus, they'll usually help you out to pick one that doesn't pinch or anything.

It's been a long time since I played a game for a long period of time before I get bored with it but when I got Demon's Souls a while ago I ended up staying up all night playing it. The first day was like 6 hours non stop and I was like.. wow this is good. The second day I pretty much played at like 8PM till like 11AM the next day and didn't even notice the day had changed until around 8/9AM when the sun was coming out. I didn't even need to sleep that day as I had a lot of energy from playing. I was still dazed and after sleeping normally and finishing the game that weekend the next week or two nothing could peak my interest and everything was so boring compared to that enthralling experience I had. Almost similar to when I had played WoW for like two years straight, every night and weekend. When I finally stopped... everything was so empty and boring and I couldn't even imagine what to do with my time and why I wasted so much of it. So I'd suggest, whatever you do, do it in doses! Too much of anything is a bad thing.
Hehe yeah, I have a typical long bumpy nose but I'll give it a try, thanks! Those are some longass hours ... I'm addicted to older games on NES, SNES, Nestron, NeoGeo and new ones are just too fancy for my tastes. It's so much fun to beat Super Contra or Contra Hard Corps or those plane games without cheats or using any Continues. Games were challenging back then, phew and enjoyable. Now everything's so fast and eye-candy, plus I just can't keep up.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Eluvei said:
A ventilated room and opening the case make it more bearable, which is why I assumed it has something to do to the heat that comes out of the card (it's what I meant with "being used"), or something like that. Well, I'll let you know when I go to the doctor.

Not sure how's that supposed to work (not like the heat generated by a graphics card is specific, is it?) but... Ok.

IncantatioN said:
I'll see what the doctors here would charge for a normal eye-check up considering I don't have medical insurance because I can't afford it (ha ha ha >_>' it's true). I've also honestly not had to time to do research on what carrier to go with and didn't end up having it ever since I got out of Oxford's payment plan of $350 (approx) a month ... like 3 years ago.

Dude honestly with all the money you blow on statues and other stuff like that I have a hard time believing you can't pay for medical insurance. Get your priorities in order and find the time to get covered. You'll be glad you did sooner or later.

turkitage

ターク
IncantatioN said:
That's pretty interesting Walter and Eluvei.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll see what the doctors here would charge for a normal eye-check up considering I don't have medical insurance

A lot of mine was covered by insurance but It was about $450 for the checkup + the glasses/frame total without insurance.

That's not too bad sounding Turkitage, thanks for sharing. I'll check out a local eye specialist and find out.

Aazealh said:
Dude honestly with all the money you blow on statues and other stuff like that I have a hard time believing you can't pay for medical insurance. Get your priorities in order and find the time to get covered. You'll be glad you did sooner or later.
I'm on the bend with paying for medical insurance because a lot of times you have to pay extra for covering things like vision or dental. I was paying Oxford $320 something for over a year before I decided to get off it because I don't fall ill or rephrase, I have not fallen ill in the past 4 and a half years since I got here and that's a lot of money going out for a possible prescription I don't need. I haven't even had to get a Tylenol or whatever else people pick up for a cold (touchwood). But, I haven't shopped around for rates recently so I don't know how expensive it must be in NYC to get coverage for medical + vision + dental. I also know it's better to be safe than sorry in case of an accident, but I'll weight my options at that time, if anything happens. Right now I cannot afford to pay 300+ on a monthly medical insurance program where there is no benefit to me. I'd feel like I was paying for someone head-honcho's party at the insurance agency every month.

Oburi

All praise Grail
IncantatioN said:
I'd feel like I was paying for someone head-honcho's party at the insurance agency every month.

Dude that's ridiculous and you know it. Those parties are $1,000 minimum, easy.

-Guitar Hero
I know if I play guitar hero for hours and look up at the wall or something I can see my posters and what not, shift and twist.

-Fall Out/ Oblivion (Or general first person shoots)
Any FPS on a HDMI influenced LED and Plasma HD TV can easily make me a tad dizzy at first. I think this has to do with frame rate or sharpness. When this happens usually I pun the phase to my friends "This looks so good, I think its hurting my eyes." Occasionally with some movies (Watchmen) I have to turn down the sharpness to ease the image on my eyes. With the sharpness high its makes it seem like the footage is just a tad to fast.

Top Bottom