Battle with Wyald

I'm currently re-reading volume 11, and toward the end of the battle with Wyald, Guts slices through Wyald's hand and thinks, "I get it!"

Just what does he "get" exactly? Miura shows two panels of Wyald's sliced palm, which seems to trigger something in Guts' mind. Can someone explain just what happens here and what it is that Guts figures out?

It looked to me as if Wyald's palm was fusing back together and regenerating, and that Guts determines that he's going to have to go for the head in order to win the fight. Is this a correct interpretation?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
It's just a bad translation. The original line is: ".....そうか.....!!" and basically means "...Is that so...?!"

It simply indicates that Guts notices the regeneration of Wyald's hand.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
OmegaSeamaster said:
Ahh, that makes sense. Thanks. While we're on this topic, to what extent can apostles regenerate?
I imagine it depends on the apostle and what powers were granted to them.

...Though, I just noticed in 307, Grunbeld's face is healed after Guts cracked it. Then again, that could be just like a scrape to him.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
OmegaSeamaster said:
While we're on this topic, to what extent can apostles regenerate?

Depends on the apostle, like Gobs said. Most of them can regenerate to some extent and oftentimes it's pretty quick. The most extreme case so far was the Slug Count, who could regrow limbs almost instantly. Zodd's regeneration is quite impressive as well.

Gobolatula said:
...Though, I just noticed in 307, Grunbeld's face is healed after Guts cracked it. Then again, that could be just like a scrape to him.

Yeah, that doesn't mean much. By comparison I don't think he's much of a regenerator.

I'm assuming Wyald's slash wounds to his forearm, corner of mouth, palm and gut area (below his giant mouth) sealed up pretty quickly, as Miura doesn't show them in subsequent panels. It just made me wonder what the fine line was for killing an apostle - just how much damage needs to be done.

I've taken the series a bit slow (I've only read up to the beginning of book 14, so I don't know if this theory holds true for later apostle killings), but it seems that dealing significant damage to the head usually does it. The snake baron lost half of his, the count got decapitated, the female apostle got a cannon ball through the mouth, Wyald gets a dagger through his eye/brain.

Of course, getting severed in two by the dragonslayer or a Zodd backbreaker helps too, I guess... :ganishka:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
OmegaSeamaster said:
I'm assuming Wyald's slash wounds to his forearm, corner of mouth, palm and gut area (below his giant mouth) sealed up pretty quickly, as Miura doesn't show them in subsequent panels. It just made me wonder what the fine line was for killing an apostle - just how much damage needs to be done.

I've taken the series a bit slow (I've only read up to the beginning of book 14, so I don't know if this theory holds true for later apostle killings), but it seems that dealing significant damage to the head usually does it.

Again, it varies depending on the apostle. But yeah, going for the head is usually a safe bet.

I'm surprised you're only up to volume 14, by the way. You've got a lot of catching up to do!

Yeah...a home purchase, a layoff and getting accustomed to a new job got between me and Berserk for a little while.

Before getting new volumes I decided to start over to keep things fresh in my mind and perhaps pick up on things I hadn't noticed before. I'm up to volume 12 on the re-read at the moment but I own up to volume 18 and I plan on getting more in affordable chunks as I forge ahead.

At least the downtime let Miura-san get out some additional tankoubon so I have more to read before having to wait episode by episode like the long-time fans.

Top Bottom