The Razer™ Switchblade

Infinte

They see me rollin', they hatin'.
The Razer Switchblade is an upcoming portable gaming device developed by Razer. It is still in development, and the release date is still unknown.
The Switchblade's main goal is to provide gamers with the functionality of a Windows computer, combined with the portability of a handheld device. It features a multitouch LCD screen and an adaptive keyboard that changes keys depending on the game you play. - Wikipedia

It also features 3G, Wifi and uses Windows 7.

ayafq1.jpg

For more information you can get into their site: http://www.razerzone.com/switchblade

A dude with an awesome voice explaining The Razer™ Switchblade: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiQ0AnlfBu4&feature=player_embedded

Well for me this is the dream handheld but something I'm wondering about is what is it's specs, as you can see from the video is that it can handle Quake, WC3 and WoW but I've read somewhere(forgot the source :farnese:) that it's CPU is the Intel Atom and that it can only handle 1.8 GHz(hopefully those are just rumors and won't be true).

The reason i think it's my dreamhandheld is that I would be able to play the PC games i love on a Handheld without the game changing or differating(?) to much from the original but for now I will stay sceptical about and won't but to much into the hype and hopefully the price of won't be to expensive.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I'm familiar with the design of this device, but I still don't QUITE see the appeal here. Essentially it's a gaming laptop that only plays games. The customized buttons are neat, but again I don't think it'd provide you with any significant advantage over playing on a traditional keyboard, and you're still obviously going to need a mouse, so it's not really portable in the same way as a handheld.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Re: The Razer™ Switchblade

Isn't this just a concept design? As in, it's not even in development for production yet, and may never be if it isn't feasible; like, if it's too cost prohibitive for what it is, especially when one can just get something like this cheaper and cheaper these days.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Griffith said:
Isn't this just a concept design? As in, it's not even in development for production yet, and may never be if it isn't feasible; like, if it's too cost prohibitive for what it is, especially when one can just get something like this cheaper and cheaper these days.
It was more of a prototype for a long time. But recently, Razer put an ad in the WSJ regarding it:

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/124785/razer-declares-pc-gaming-lives
We have all heard the rhetoric about the demise of PC Gaming—the stories that console gaming will take over all gaming and that PC gamers will be left with shoddy ports of console titles.

The rumors of our untimely demise have been greatly exaggerated. We are more than 300 million PC gamers worldwide and this legion is growing every day. Today there are more PC gamers than all console gamers combined and we have been silent in the face of the closed gaming systems that have been propagated.

We, the PC Gamers, have been here since the beginning and have seen the industry grow to surpass movies and music, and we look forward to an open world where console and PC gamers will stand side by side as gamers in arms.

We are here today to tell you, that on the 26th of August, we will seek to end the silence and bring a new age of openness and innovation to all gaming. Together we shall remind you - that PC Gaming is NOT dead.
Basically implying that this could soon be a product that they will sell. We'll know in 2 days.

Personally I think this whole "demise of PC Gaming" angle is utterly ridiculous. They're essentially farting in the face of their future customer base. Classy.

Griffith

Before you even updated your post I was already writing how that "open letter" is embarrassingly fucking stupid. :ganishka:

Now I know this is a stay away, and as you point out it's basically appointing itself the savior of PC gaming by fundamentally changing PC gaming, which I think is just fine as it is according to PC gamers. In reality, aren't they essentially trying to make a gaming computer that's more like a console? Actually, that's what a console is, a computer that only plays games. Maybe that's why this thing seems like a contradiction. I'm not sure who it's for; console gamers that don't like PC gaming, or PC gamers... that don't like PC gaming? Uhh... I think it's for people that don't care and just like tech.

Anyway, it might be fun to play around with, but if the price isn't right you're better off just getting a PC for the money.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Infinte said:
The Switchblade's main goal is to provide gamers with the functionality of a Windows computer, combined with the portability of a handheld device.

In short it's a netbook.

Griffith said:
Before you even updated your post I was already writing how that "open letter" is embarrassingly fucking stupid. :ganishka:

Now I know this is a stay away, and as you point out it's basically appointing itself the savior of PC gaming by fundamentally changing PC gaming, which I think is just fine as it is according to PC gamers. In reality, aren't they essentially trying to make a gaming computer that's more like a console? Actually, that's what a console is, a computer that only plays games. Maybe that's why this thing seems like a contradiction. I'm not sure who it's for; console gamers that don't like PC gaming, or PC gamers... that don't like PC gaming? Uhh... I think it's for people that don't care and just like tech.

Right on.

Saephon

Die young and save yourself

PC gaming's only "dead" to people who were never all that interested in it in the first place. Outside of shoddy ports and the occasionally "streamlined" game syndrome ( :azan:), I'd like to think PC gamers are quite content with what we've got. I've still barely made a dent in my Steam Collection, and every holiday sale lengthens the backlog list.

Also, this thing seems kind of silly! Like it's trying to fill a niche that doesn't exist. Unless they're being crafty and trying to captivate would-be PC gamers ("I play on consoles because I'm too lazy to build a desktop, and I'm in denial as to how cheap you can buy a great computer these days, even though I've spent $300 on Xbox accessories, and besides, you smell bad.")

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The announcement relates to a gaming laptop by Razer with a small LCD screen that can display dynamic information and abilities on 8 keys. http://kotaku.com/5834737/razer-debuts-the-worlds-first-gaming-laptop

It's a pretty terrible idea, honestly. The custom-screen is on the right side of the keyboard. Meaning, in order to use those quick buttons, you have to take your hand off your mouse, or reach over really far with your left hand. Using that to switch guns instead of the traditional method... yeah that'll get you killed in any first person shooter. Similarly in an RPG, it doesn't make it any easier to switch between stuff than using your mouse. Totally fluff.

Griffith

Wow, $3000 for this novelty? Like I said before, you can get a gaming laptop or netbook for a fraction of that price and actually play PC games the way they were meant to be played.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Griffith said:
Wow, $3000 for this novelty? Like I said before, you can get a gaming laptop or netbook for a fraction of that price and actually play PC games the way they were meant to be played.
This is a gaming laptop though. It's not the same design as the Razer Switchblade.

Top Bottom