Board games?

You love them (i hope), I love them so lets talk. What board games do you play? I am big into board games play mostly Fantasy Flight games like Chaos in the old world and just got into Warhammer Invasion i find it hard to find players for which makes me said but anyhow what games are you into?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I play Settlers of Catan at any opportunity I get. I actually keep the base game in the trunk of my car, just in case I'm at a dinner or party where people are interested in it. Or, ya know, get stranded or something. :guts: It's a love it or hate it game with most people.

I also enjoy Carcassone though I only get a chance to play that about once a year with my family, as I don't own a board of it.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I have a friend that's into board games and whenever he comes to visit he'll have something new for us to play like Pandemic, Zombies!!!, and Ticket to Ride.

FYI, James Rolfe, the Angry Video Game Nerd, does non-angry reviews of some "classic" board games in a feature called Board James. Very nostalgic and interesting, especially for those games you only saw the commercials for but never played. One of my favorites is Dragonstrike for the cheesy video that came with the game (I had a Star Wars game with a similar video featuring a fake Darth Vader mocking you), but the game looks pretty cool... if you're a nerd. =)

Griffith said:
I have a friend that's into board games and whenever he comes to visit he'll have something new for us to play like Pandemic, Zombies!!!, and Ticket to Ride.

FYI, James Rolfe, the Angry Video Game Nerd, does non-angry reviews of some "classic" board games in a feature called Board James. Very nostalgic and interesting, especially for those games you only saw the commercials for but never played. One of my favorites is Dragonstrike for the cheesy video that came with the game (I had a Star Wars game with a similar video featuring a fake Darth Vader mocking you), but the game looks pretty cool... if you're a nerd. =)

Yeah, I love board game James. It brings me back to my child hood days. :serpico: I enjoy Risk and Monopoly. I think the Trivia Pursuit games are my favorite. I prefer the "Office" and "Family Guy" versions lately.

Viral Harvest

Every Knee Bent Too Shall Break
Scrabble, but with people who do more than 3 or 4 letter words, or bullshit two letter words that they clearly wouldn't know existed if they didn't play the PC or console versions :mozgus:

Uno, Risk, Taboo, and HERO QUEST! (I actually never figured out how to play, but I used to steal the figurines from my uncle when I was a kid to perch on castles made of wooden blocks)

Apples to Apples can be fun given the right crowd too.

I love Settlers of Catan granted I don't win to much. Ticket to ride is also a good game i miss playing it.

I just recently learned how to play a game called 7 Wonders anyone ever play that?

Breed1Ghost said:
I just recently learned how to play a game called 7 Wonders anyone ever play that?
tama chan said:
I purchased Pandemic after hearing some great things, and I haven't regretted getting it; Very fun cooperative game.

Both great games. You should check out Ghost Stories from Asmodee. Its a fantastic co op game, that is more difficult than Pandemic. Also Pandemic has a nifty expansion too.

7 wonders is fun. Its nice that it only takes 30-45 min, unlike some games which can take up to 5 hrs
My favorite game is Game of Thrones. Its an epic strategy game, but it doesn't have those annoying dice like risk.
If you want something a bit tougher try Agricola, you develop a farm with crops and animals but you are always feeling rushed to make sure your farmers have enough food
If you are more into card games, dominion is by far the best. With lots of expansions and different types of cards there are pretty much unlimited variants of the game.
Other fun titles: Puerto Rico, Powergrid, Ora and Labora (if you want to play a game with absolutely no chance, but so complicated it makes your brain hurt), Civilization

Wyrm

HEMA
What is this "fantasy" you speak of?
There is no "fantasy"...
In the Grim Darkness of the far fond future there is only War! :beast:

frankencowx said:
Fantasy or 40k???

I enjoy the Fantasy side of Warhammer. I played alot of the table top rpg I had the best thief I ever played in any fantasy game. Through out his life I managed to only lose one finger. Gained a femail vampire npc ally and almost reached assassin.

I never got into 40 but read one comic graphic novle involving the sapce wolves I think. It was ok I dont like warhammer in a scifi setting it never interested me.

Does anyone here play Dungeons and Dragons, Pathfinder or any games that are similar? I've never tried any of these but have always been interested. The one thing I couldn't find an answer to when I searched online is that I'm not really comfortable doing roleplaying or pretending to be my character; do you have to do this in order to play these games? I like the idea of rolling dice, checking stats and having skills I just wasn't sure if the roleplaying is essential or if you can just read from the book.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
It depends on the people you're playing with. Some groups go all out and talk in character voices and everything, some just go 'arright, I'm hitting the undead guy with searing light. Can I tell he's a vampire? Should I roll a knowledge check? OK so I hit him for 18 points.' and the 'roleplaying' amounts to not letting your party's barbarian chop off any non-aggressive kobold NPC's heads if you're supposed to be a good cleric or something.

tama chan said:
Does anyone here play Dungeons and Dragons, Pathfinder or any games that are similar? I've never tried any of these but have always been interested. The one thing I couldn't find an answer to when I searched online is that I'm not really comfortable doing roleplaying or pretending to be my character; do you have to do this in order to play these games? I like the idea of rolling dice, checking stats and having skills I just wasn't sure if the roleplaying is essential or if you can just read from the book.

If you aren't comfortable with 'getting into character' it sounds like you should give the D&D Adventure Board Games a try. They are board games with pieces and stripped down mechanics from D&D. Context and story elements are still provided in a scenario book, but you don't have to act out a character. You still get to roll dice and check stats and use skills. You don't even need a DM as the enemies are controlled by the game itself.

The three games in the series are:

Castle Ravenloft
Wrath of Ashardalon
Legend of Drizzt

Check them out on Amazon or BGG. The price is pretty sweet on them as they've been out for a while.

That sounds great! I will check them out. I think I wouldn't mind trying roleplaying but it would have to be with friends and after I get more comfortable with these games. Those sound like a good start.

I agree with starting out with the D&D board games they are just like 4.0. 4.0 is kinda playing an rpg board game. If you try D&D I would sugjest playing 3.5 its more simple makeing chars and its def more into stats. Best thing about D&D is that you really dont have to role play to enjoy your self if you just dont mind saying what you want to do you should be fine.

I wanna play some board games ^.^ whos up for it?

Top Bottom