Episode 325

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Rhombaad said:
Do you think that's a combination of both the Sea God's attacks and the effects of the armor, or just the Sea God's attacks?

I also think that Guts' condition is due to the effects of the Sea God and his surroundings rather than the armor, but I wonder if the armor could counter that better if given more... free reign. :beast:

Then again, if he's truly getting the full benefit of the armor's power then the forces being exerted on him may simply be beyond its/his limits.

Walter said:
Because she isn't actually there.

:ganishka:

Yeah, I don't think she'll be feeling the physical effects. Though, Ganishka's lighting did drive her out of her Guts before, so if he's hit hard enough by something in there the same thing could theoretically happen. Looks like the Sea God's defenses are down though.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Love the panel of Guts on page 10 of this issue, and that look on 14 is always welcome.
Too bad it was just pride before the fall, not used to seeing that from Guts.

:guts: "OH YEAH? WATCH THI-SHIT!!"
gutsbarf.gif
"I... meant.. to do... that."

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Too bad it was just pride before the fall, not used to seeing that from Guts.

I think it shows nicely and definitively how Guts isn't up against the same caliber of enemies anymore. The time of the Snake Baron is long gone. Sheer force of will isn't cutting it anymore, nor is even the Berserk's armor apparently. We're not in Midland anymore. :griffnotevil:

Aazealh said:
I think it shows nicely and definitively how Guts isn't up against the same caliber of enemies anymore. The time of the Snake Baron is long gone. Sheer force of will isn't cutting it anymore, nor is even the Berserk's armor apparently. We're not in Midland anymore. :griffnotevil:

It does make you wonder how much further Guts can be pushed before he has to raise his game even further. Apostles aren't the only adversaries he has to worry about now, things have just reached a whole new level.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
And Midland won't be there anymore when he gets back. :sad:

Which makes the current events and what will happen in Elfhelm all the more important. You know what this reminds me of? When he was fighting Boscone and having a hard time, but remembered his confrontation with Zodd and took heart from the fact it wasn't as bad as that time. Maybe the next time he faces Grunberd he'll smile at how easier it is than facing the Sea God (though of course it might actually not be easier).

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Guts sure is having a rough time in there. Even the Sea Horse is trying everything it can, as I see on the 2 page spread, some cannon fire. I'm assuming Guts getting back on his feet with whatever he has left of strength to help out as well.

THANK YOU! Love every panel showing the ship vs the Sea God, the latter's moving away from the ship fairly quick. Crackling thunder! Uhhhm, the (lack of) viciousness of the tentacles is a bit disappointing. Also surprised there were just a handful of sea monsters protecting the heart. Seeing Guts get up every time stamped this stupid grin on my face.

EDIT:

Walter said:
Because she isn't actually there.
Ohh cool, thanks ^_^

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Fantastic episode. Love those shots of Guts. Made my heart go out to the big guy... :sad: But I think the merrows' song will give Guts the opening he needs to finish off the Sea God.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
But I think the merrows' song will give Guts the opening he needs to finish off the Sea God.

Yep, then it's light's out for a little while. :guts:

I really enjoyed this episode, especially the section with Guts and Schierke.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Man, I am glad that Guts is still awake. From that preview, I was afraid that he'd be knocked out. Schierke screaming GUTS-SAN is intense. Their whole scene was so awesome.

Great episode! I was hoping to see the Sea God in its entirety in this episode. But seeing the Sea Horse trying to fight the god was just as good. I can’t wait to see if the Merrows’ song will mesmerize or if, like the Sea Gods’ heart harms Guts, will cause damage/pain to it.

I can already imagine how this is going to turn out…

Guts is down and out. He’s just about to give up when the Merrows’ song slowly puts the Sea God to sleep. The hearts’ eyes close.

Noticing this, Schierke shouts,” Guts! Now’s the time! You have to strike!”

Guts, barely able to see or find his bearings, slowly and uneasily climbs to his feet and stumbles towards the heart, dragging his sword behind him. As he nears the heart, he uses the last of his strength to swing the Dragon Slayer wildly like a blindfolded kid trying to hit a piñata.

The Dragon Slayer slices into the heart, jolting the eyes awake before they close once more. This time due to the greater sleep, death. Guts, completely exhausted, passes out.

As the Sea God dies, his body “dissolves” into an ocean’s worth of sea life, all of the creatures the god had absorbed into himself over the years.

Silence fills the air as the crew of the Sea Horse realize that the Sea God is truly dead. Beneath the waves, the Merrows swim through countless bodies as they search for the one who struck the god down. They swim past the corpses of fish, squid, sharks, eels, sea cucumbers, the villagers, and the Boss and his pirate crew.

A Merrow swims on. She stops suddenly, her eyes wide. In front of her floats a seemingly lifeless Guts, the magnets of his metal arm clinging to his sword, next to the shriveled, blackened heart of the Sea God.

“It can’t be…,” the Merrow thinks.

A second Merrow swims to the scene. She is just as shocked as the first Merrow. “That armor,” she says,” Is it…”

“Yes,” a third, much older Merrow responds as she slowly swims towards Guts,” That is the armor of the swordsman who helped us confine the Sea God inside the island a thousand years ago.” :SK:

Ok, that probably won’t happen. But a boy can dream, right? :serpico:

C

cajunman380

is it really that farfetched?

I mean it isnt likely but i find it suspicious that a being of that size would have such tight defenses around its heart. I almost get the feeling that it was something it dealt with before and this time it came better prepared to deal with the possibility of someone attacking its heart.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone else notice Isidro's hand breaking through the frame on page 2? That's not a technique I've seen Miura employ before, at least not memorably. He's got some new tricks up his sleeve!

...Great Episode before a break...
I need explanation about the Berserk Armor. At the end of the episode Guts is down... but the armor still in "Berserk mode". Why? Because of Schierke's Od?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
cajunman380 said:
is it really that farfetched?

I mean it isnt likely but i find it suspicious that a being of that size would have such tight defenses around its heart. I almost get the feeling that it was something it dealt with before and this time it came better prepared to deal with the possibility of someone attacking its heart.

If someone had successfully attacked its heart back in the day then one would think it would have died once and for all.

flagawax said:
I need explanation about the Berserk Armor. At the end of the episode Guts is down... but the armor still in "Berserk mode". Why? Because of Schierke's Od?

There isn't a rule that stipulates exactly when the armor is supposed to deactivate itself.

Slime_Beherit said:
Why was one of Isma's moms speech bubbles all cluttered?

Because she was calling her by her "mana" (her real name). It's so that the reader can't see it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
For those of you (everyone of course :femto:) who are getting volume 36, the posters are pretty cool. One of them is the color page we'd had in YA #8 (along with episode 319) and the other is a group shot of Schierke, Isidro & Isma hanging out together with Puck & Ivalera. Neat stuff.

And "Isma" is the confirmed official spelling for the name, by the way. Another one we got right. :guts:

Walter said:
Anyone else notice Isidro's hand breaking through the frame on page 2? That's not a technique I've seen Miura employ before, at least not memorably. He's got some new tricks up his sleeve!
Heh, at the end of Vol 36, there's a promo page for the next episode/ volume I guess and you see him do it kinda again ^_^

IMG_8447-1.jpg

A lot of people are quite "bitter" about this more pirate-focused portion of Berserk. I hear a lot of the same answers when I ask when they thought the series was weakest, and they'll draw their circles roughly around that laughable eyepatched, peg-legged pirate. Let me first say, it is a difficult thing to make a best-to-worst or worst-to-best list with something like Berserk. It's all good, and it all looks good. Even with the pirate, or a slower part of the story, I can always count on Guts to be consistently awesome throughout, and he has been for me.

But what I really want to say is that, unlike the masses (which doesn't seem to be the case here!), I have enjoyed this particular tale with the pirates and the merrows. Because, though Guts does play a role in it, I really see this little story with Isidro in the main role. Easily done by Miura. He has always had this amazing ability to make such likable children, such as Schierke, Jill from the Lost Children Arc (?), and I really connected with the circus performer girl from the Dreamcast game if you'll let me play that. You've made good, solid characters when you really like them like that. And Isidro is no exception.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Handmade_lion said:
A lot of people are quite "bitter" about this more pirate-focused portion of Berserk. I hear a lot of the same answers when I ask when they thought the series was weakest, and they'll draw their circles roughly around that laughable eyepatched, peg-legged pirate. Let me first say, it is a difficult thing to make a best-to-worst or worst-to-best list with something like Berserk. It's all good, and it all looks good. Even with the pirate, or a slower part of the story, I can always count on Guts to be consistently awesome throughout, and he has been for me.

But what I really want to say is that, unlike the masses (which doesn't seem to be the case here!), I have enjoyed this particular tale with the pirates and the merrows. Because, though Guts does play a role in it, I really see this little story with Isidro in the main role. Easily done by Miura. He has always had this amazing ability to make such likable children, such as Schierke, Jill from the Lost Children Arc (?), and I really connected with the circus performer girl from the Dreamcast game if you'll let me play that. You've made good, solid characters when you really like them like that. And Isidro is no exception.
There are a few of us here who have been following Berserk for more than 10 years, episode by episode. Trust me when I say that there have always been, and will always be people who claim that the current chapter and arc are the most boring and the most slow-moving. "Are they still not on the boat yet?" merely changes to "Are they still on that boat?!"

That is of course because their perspective is chained to the episodic release of the series. The forest for the trees. The pace seems slow because you are experiencing it episode by episode, and not in the huge chunks of volumes that many are initiated to the series through. This also causes people to ignore significant events when they happen, because they're only looking for the things they expected to happen. The best advice I can give is to just ignore morons.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Burn Me Alive said:
I can't blame people for wanting to get as much of the story as quickly as possible. It's human nature to want as much of a good thing as you can get when you can get it, especially when it comes to a masterpiece like Berserk.
I can blame people who say the quality of the series has degraded simply because they're impatient. That's what Handmade_Lion was referring to.

Top Bottom