Episode 325

I don't like the fact that Puck is kinda useless. I was thinking about that if he was with Guts now, he could heal him or something... But maybe he'd die with the first heartbeat. But this Isidro - Puck comic relief annoys me so much. :schierke:
I hope Guts will recover... He must, or the story will end :ganishka:
Anyway, I think this fight is very exciting, I don't really want them to arrive in Elfhelm yet, we need more cool fights like this :ubik: And when they're really messed up, they can go, have a rest, drink a beer and have fun.

But what I want to see now is what's our lovely Griffith and everyone doing in Midland/Falconia :griffnotevil: Because I'm afraid Guts will be very surprised to see what he has to face when he gets back...

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Gillia said:
I don't like the fact that Puck is kinda useless.

Just because he doesn't have a use at the moment (what could an Elf do against the Sea God anyway?), doesn't mean he's useless. Guts might not have lived through his experiences as The Black Swordsman if it weren't for Puck. Once the gang gets to Elfhelm, I think his role will move to the front of the stage once more.

Gillia said:
But this Isidro - Puck comic relief annoys me so much. :schierke:

What annoys you about it? Obviously, humor is subjective, but I'm just curious why you find them so annoying.

Gillia said:
But what I want to see now is what's our lovely Griffith and everyone doing in Midland/Falconia :griffnotevil: Because I'm afraid Guts will be very surprised to see what he has to face when he gets back...

I'm hoping we get a glimpse or two of what's happening/been happening in Falconia during this chapter, as well.

Rhombaad said:
Once the gang gets to Elfhelm, I think his role will move to the front of the stage once more.
That's what I hope. I'd like to see him in his normal form more, not just that chestnut thing, and having a more seroius role.
Rhombaad said:
What annoys you about it?
There aren't real jokes, just stupid SD faces, or Puck tranforming into some random thing like Yoda or Doraemon... This isn't really original humor, just some fooling around, there were much better jokes in Berserk before.

And another thing: it wasn't clear for me how long this break will be, the next episode comes around December or something?
If it does, then it's not that bad, enough time to reread the series. And I hope that means that Miura will come up with something big and cool next time for which he needs more time to make it perfect for us, fans :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Mage said:
By the way, there's probably a simple explanation as usual, but I wonder why Guts didn't try using his arm cannon prior to collapsing?

It really doesn't look to me like any kind of projectile weapon would be effective in the current situation. Rather Guts would run the risk of blowing himself up if things went wrong.

Gobolatula said:
I do have a bad feeling about his hearing now. And his eyesight. On the boat in volume 33 while he was watching Casca, his vision started to get messed up for a moment. The look on his face was "OH GOD NO..."

And he's had problems with his taste before (on the beach in volume 27). Not to mention trembling fingers and the like. If the armor's side effects are piled on top of the damage he's taken during the battle against the Sea God it's going to be pretty bad...

Gillia said:
I'd like to see him in his normal form more, not just that chestnut thing

Puck's design is based on a chestnut both in "normal" and SD form. Just like Ivalera's is based on a cabbage.

Gillia said:
There aren't real jokes, just stupid SD faces, or Puck tranforming into some random thing like Yoda or Doraemon...

Yes they are, you just don't understand them.

Gillia said:
there were much better jokes in Berserk before.

Which ones, when? Better how?

Gillia said:
And another thing: it wasn't clear for me how long this break will be, the next episode comes around December or something?

Yeah.

I've always really enjoyed Puck's sense of humor. Back before we had a traveling party, I felt he brought a really nice balance with the gruesome fight scenes and then afterward fit right in with Isidro. And the fact that he's able to crack jokes when I'm wide-eyed and fearing for Guts' life makes me envious of his confidence. I have a lot of faith in Guts, but I think Puck must know something I don't to remain that cool.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Gillia said:
I don't like the fact that Puck is kinda useless. I was thinking about that if he was with Guts now, he could heal him or something... But maybe he'd die with the first heartbeat.

With the amount of damage Guts sustains these days there's not much Puck can do for him anymore. Both piskies healing abilities are exhausted just trying to help his long-term recovery afterward. Puck is far more useful to Isidro at this point.

As for Puck in general, I rather like his current role in the story. Most of his more "serious" observations concerning Guts have been taken on by other characters, most notably Schierke, and I don't think it's for the worse since Puck is a largely static character by design and we've heard most of what he has to say about Guts already. Though, because of that, when Puck does say something serious now, it carries extra weight because of his seniority with Guts. As for his comedy role, well, that's been his #1 duty since Lost Children, and he's always lightened the mood, which is all he's supposed to do with his little asides and cultural references (which are probably lost on most, myself included). Any less and it would feel like his role was diminished, any more would only be more distracting from the main event, if you see it that way.

i'm really curious as to how this battle will conclude. i somehow see isma joining the crew on their journey to elfhelm... that's what i hope for at least... :iva:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
RaWManiac said:
i'm really curious as to how this battle will conclude. i somehow see isma joining the crew on their journey to elfhelm... that's what i hope for at least... :iva:

Unfortunately for you it doesn't look very likely at this point. The merrows might accompany the Sea Horse for a while, but eventually they'll have to part ways, and I think Isma will stay with her mother. Her place is in the sea now.

X

Xem

Man poor Guts is once again taking quite a beating and though I'm sure he'll survive I'd be surprised a little if his sight and hearing didn't suffer immensely from all this. I'm really surprised Schierke hasn't been pushed out yet, but if she does, we might see the Beast resurface... does the armor take over if Guts loses consciousness (similar to The Guyver)? I'm not sure if we've gotten that information yet.

Also, going further into speculation, does anyone think that maybe the merrows know a little about the happenings in the world now? It'd be pretty cool to get some more insight after all this is over... like perhaps now that the game has changed a bit killing off monsters might not be the best idea, but subduing or relaxing them. Perhaps the Sea God does serve some higher purpose that is not exactly evil afterall...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
does the armor take over if Guts loses consciousness (similar to The Guyver)? I'm not sure if we've gotten that information yet.

If he's truly unconscious, as in knocked out for good, then I don't think the armor would keep on fighting. It "enhances" and manipulates the wearer but I think there's a limit to what it can do.

Deci said:
Also, going further into speculation, does anyone think that maybe the merrows know a little about the happenings in the world now?

Probably, yeah. They might give our friends some information once the battle is over.

Deci said:
Perhaps the Sea God does serve some higher purpose that is not exactly evil afterall...

I wouldn't bet on that.

Deci said:
Man poor Guts is once again taking quite a beating and though I'm sure he'll survive I'd be surprised a little if his sight and hearing didn't suffer immensely from all this.

Yeah, I'm also worried about what's happening to Guts' senses. The worst case scenario - Guts emerging from the fight with Sea God, permanently blind, deaf and paralyzed :magni:
But then again, even if that were to happen, it would probably be nothing that Elf King couldn't fix :guts:

Deci said:
It'd be pretty cool to get some more insight after all this is over... like perhaps now that the game has changed a bit killing off monsters might not be the best idea, but subduing or relaxing them. Perhaps the Sea God does serve some higher purpose that is not exactly evil after all...

The sole reason why Guts, Roderick and Co. wouldn't want to kill Sea God that I can possibly think of, if there was a scenario with Sea Horse getting wrecked and sinking altogether, and them no longer possessing a suitable vessel to transport them to Elfhelm with, as a result. So then, they'd have the merrows use their vocalizations to hypnotize Sea God into allowing Guts and everyone else hop on top of him, and ferry them all the way to elf island. And then fucking off back to the open ocean, once Guts and the Co. reach their destination :ganishka:
So there ya have it..... free ride to Elfhelm - Sea God's only possible higher purpose that is both logical to our heroes and that which wouldn't be exactly evil after all :iva:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Señor Caudillo said:
But then again, even if that were to happen, it would probably be nothing that Elf King couldn't fix :guts:
So, they'd have the merrows use their vocalizations to hypnotize Sea God into allowing Guts and everyone else hop on top of him, and ferry them all the way to elf island.
The stupid shit you come up with never ceases to amaze me.

Anyway, who says the Sea Horse is doomed?

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Th3Branded0ne said:
Instead. Why dont all the survivors after the destruction of the sea horse in your theory, hop each on a merrow and ride in the open sea. :schierke:
that sounds like so much fun! but knowing that there are sea serpents and giant sea monsters, i would not even get near the water.

Aazealh said:
Puck's design is based on a chestnut both in "normal" and SD form. Just like Ivalera's is based on a cabbage.
I didn't know that, but it's interesting (and kinda disappointing because I thought Ivarela is a beautiful flower or something). By chestnut, I meant the SD form.
Aazealh said:
Which ones, when? Better how?
I could say a lot, like the "Are you homo?", or the Kama Sutra... The best jokes were before the Eclipse I think.
But there were also good ones later, like Puck playing with the eyeball with the fairies in Misty Valley...
There are still good ones, for example how Isma reacted when she realised she has a fish tail.
I like these kind of jokes/funny scenes because it's more realistic. I know it's fantasy, but I think these make the characters more human and I like them more.
I think, making SD faces and referring to random other series can be cute and make me smile sometimes, but too much of them is annoying. And we see Puck more in SD form than normal...
But never mind, maybe just my taste of humor is different. :iva:

As for Guts' health, maybe merrows can have some healing technique like piskies, and they can keep him alive until the group arrives in Elfhelm.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gillia said:
By chestnut, I meant the SD form.

I know what you meant, I clarified that he's always a "chestnut".

Gillia said:
But never mind, maybe just my taste of humor is different. :iva:

If the scenes you cited are what you think are the best jokes in the series then yeah, we certainly will have to agree to disagree. So please be nice to other fans a favor and don't call something "stupid" just because it doesn't fit your fancy.

Gillia said:
As for Guts' health, maybe merrows can have some healing technique like piskies, and they can keep him alive until the group arrives in Elfhelm.

I doubt that. Besides, Puck & Ivalera can do the keeping alive thing on their own (they've done it in the past, quite frequently as a matter of fact, it's kind of a routine for them now). And Guts isn't on the brink of death just yet.

Sorry about that humor thing, I just don't like that Berserk is becoming less realistic, but never mind, it's still awesome.
Aazealh said:
And Guts isn't on the brink of death just yet.
To be honest, he does look like he is... He was coughing blood, so those sounds could cause internal bleedings, which is not very easy to heal with medieval methods... I hope losing his senses doesn't mean that his brain is damaged, thats not something Miura done before to anyone.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gillia said:
Sorry about that humor thing, I just don't like that Berserk is becoming less realistic, but never mind, it's still awesome.

I'm sorry myself but I don't think what you're saying here makes much sense. The series wasn't more "realistic" 20 years ago than it is now.

Gillia said:
To be honest, he does look like he is... He was coughing blood, so those sounds could cause internal bleedings, which is not very easy to heal with medieval methods... I hope losing his senses doesn't mean that his brain is damaged, thats not something Miura done before to anyone.

He's coughed blood before, and it's not like he'll be treated with leeches and enemas. They're using magic. It does wonders.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
There are many times the Guts looks "at the brink of death." And it gets me every time when he makes it. It's one of those things where I'm reading it and I KNOW that Guts won't die. But when he pulls through I cheer.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Page 3, middle panel... is that lightning above the Sea God? Man, this is awesome. Can it manipulate the weather?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
Page 3, middle panel... is that lightning above the Sea God? Man, this is awesome. Can it manipulate the weather?

Either that, or its very presence causes the weather to take a turn for the worse.

Rhombaad said:
Either that, or its very presence causes the weather to take a turn for the worse.

Whether it's Sea God's special ability or mere presence, for some reason, there isn't a slightest expression of fear or intimidation on Roderick's face. Anyone noted that? In fact, he looks quite content by Sea God's seeming attempt at manipulating the weather. Is he somehow planning to use the Sea God-summoned thunder storm or a tornado as a strategic maneuver of some kind for the Sea Horse?
And also, this episode may also warrant a re-assessment of Sea God. Seeing how Sea Horse's well-aimed and consistently sustained cannon fire from a close range is causing Sea God to bellow in distress, this just might be an evidence that externally, he isn't as 110% invincible against conventional firepower as previously thought. The fact that it has provoked Sea God to scream in rage and trying to cook up some kind of extreme weather change, it makes me doubt that those cannon fire salvos that he's been receiving are merely tickling him, rather than causing him at least some sort of stinging pain.

X

Xem

Señor Caudillo said:
Whether it's Sea God's special ability or mere presence, for some reason, there isn't a slightest expression of fear or intimidation on Roderick's face. Anyone noted that? In fact, he looks quite content by Sea God's seeming attempt at manipulating the weather. Is he somehow planning to use the Sea God-summoned thunder storm or a tornado as a strategic maneuver of some kind for the Sea Horse?
And also, this episode may also warrant a re-assessment of Sea God. Seeing how Sea Horse's well-aimed and consistently sustained cannon fire from a close range is causing Sea God to bellow in distress, this just might be an evidence that externally, he isn't as 110% invincible against conventional firepower as previously thought. The fact that it has provoked Sea God to scream in rage and trying to cook up some kind of extreme weather change, it makes me doubt that those cannon fire salvos that he's been receiving are merely tickling him, rather than causing him at least some sort of stinging pain.

I'm pretty sure the Sea God's heart is racing mostly because of Guts, and Roderick (being the Captain as well as having faith in Farnese' shield) is simply remaining calm and confident under fire.

Also, Miura often uses the weather to reinforce dread in a setting. It's completely possible the Sea God is causing it, but it's also a method of story-telling.

Hey guys,
Thanks, I can't wait to read puella's translation. I think it's just me on this one, but page 17 of episode 325 kinda reminded me of Page 6 from episode 305. Femto vs Ganishka and the world get's covered in that spiritual light.
Reading this episode, raised a few questions for me. I wonder what the merrows will actually do to the sea god, i'm guessing they will hinder his movement in some way. This will create the needed opening for Guts to strike, but how will he come out, he can barely move as it is.

Walter said:
Nice that you mention it, i never would have guessed something like that. If this is true, the ship might be in serious trouble. I think that when the Sea god's is near death, the weather will turn for the worse too (but i realize that it's too early, for me to believe something like this)

Btw, this is my first post, nice to meet you all. Excuse me for any mistakes, English is not my native language.

Top Bottom