Your music player(s)

What do you guys use to play your music at home? Listen to it on your laptop speakers/ computer speakers/ iPod dock/ etc.?

I'm trying to zero in on something for myself soon, can't pick what I want yet. Since moving on from my Sony Discman, I picked up a 160 GB iPod 2 years ago and listen to it on my headphones when I travel. At home, for my vinyl I use an Ion Profile LP Player. I use my laptop for my CDs but I'm looking to change that with probably a stand-alone CD player with/ without iPod integration. I'm happy with the performance of my OE2 Bose headphones, so I need to check their Wave systems to see if the punch is the same or if the bass output is more, like those Dr. Dre Headphones (eeehhh lame).

So yeah, post your set-up, take pictures if you like!

I've got a pretty basic 5.1 setup from my computer, as well as an Asus Xonar Essence STX Headphone sound card and amp, with a pair of Sennheiser 555's.

For mobile, I'm looking to pick myself up one of these - http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/01/cowon-x7-pmp-review/

Also a little iPod Shuffle for working out or just walking when I don't care for a playlist.

I don't have any kind of real home theater setup yet, however I do recommend Klipsch Image S4 Earphones. They make everything that comes out of my mp3 player sound ten times better.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Sennheiser PC 350 headphones plugged on the computer, and I've been using Winamp with a Super Metroid skin since it first came out.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Sennheiser HD 555s. They're decent high-end headphones but I don't think they're quite as good as my old pair of HD 460s I had for about 8 years before they died. I miss those cans :sad:

I usually end up listening to music through iTunes because that's just where my library is, as an iPhone user. But I'll also listen to a lot of music on YouTube and RDIO, a subscription service that I chip in $5/month toward for a huge library of streaming music. I find it more useful than Spotify because it's a better way to find music. You can follow your friends, see what they've been listening to, and discover new music.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I have an MD player and play music on my computer with Winamp classic. Partyin' like it's 1999. :badbone:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
MrSmit said:
I use foobar2000, awesome audio engine!
Stupid name for a program, but I tried it out and it's pretty awesome. Intuitive design and it's very responsive. I might use this for a bit!

foobar2000 is pretty good if you're an audiophile.

My record player broke down, I went through 2 cables so this time around I'm going to pick up one with a 'direct drive' - leaning towards a Technics SL1200-MK2.

I picked up Audioengine's A2 speakers this past Wednesday. My plan is to get an AMP or a DAC to hook the speakers to. I want to be able to play everything through that, so I'll hook up my Cassette player, CD player, TV and the record player to it in my living room.

Itching to try out the new speakers, I hope I don't have to return them, I hate returning stuff!

Anyone listen to CDs or cassette's or records? Or is it just digital format for the convenience of it/ space/ budget? Ordering Blackmetal records from Europe kills because of high shipping, there's the issue of space, etc. and there's a lot to deter anyone from getting into physical formats these days, but the reward is incomparable and depends on personal taste. Open a CD, smell the booklet (for that printing press sort of aroma), read the thank list, check out the CD-artwork or what's behind the transparent base - FUN stuff, even more so if it's a Digipak! So yeah, merits and demerits eeehh.

: / I found out today that the A2's won't go with the AMP/ Receiver plan that I had in mind. GODFRAKKINDAMNIT. That's the bad news, the good is I found a reliable seller for the Technics SL1200 and I asked him some questions, so I'm hopefully that works out. In unrelated news, I need another milk crate ...

Top Bottom