What the Future Holds for Rickert

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
rickert1.jpg

It's been a long time since we last saw Rickert, as Guts and Casca departed on the long journey to Elfhelm. Rickert and Erica were left behind at Godot's home, with no clear future carved out for either of them. And in such a changed world, where might they land?

There are a few things that are peculiar about Rickert that make me think that Miura has something special planned for him. First and foremost, he alone was spared when his comrades were killed in the first wave of apostles, just prior to the eclipse. The Skull Knight intervened just as he was about to either be eaten by The Count, or enlisted involuntarily by Rochine.

rickert2.jpg

Why bother to spare him at this critical moment? Is there something in store for him?

rickert3.jpg

A purpose beyond merely providing fairy dust to Guts and Casca after their injuries in the eclipse?​

At this point in the story, Rickert has been given a choice by both Guts and Griffith to choose the path he wants to take. He was spared the life of revenge that Guts was thrust into after the eclipse. Rickert was allowed to grow up and move beyond the death of his comrades. And when Griffith visited him on the Hill of Swords, he invited Rickert to join him among his ranks, as before. But now that Rickert knows the full story, where will he go?

Falconia will surely be an inviting place for humans trying to escape the wilds of Fantasia. I imagine it will become one of the last secure strongholds in a chaotic world. My hope is that Rickert will be drawn there, even with his baggage with Griffith. He'd be able to provide readers with an interesting perspective within Falconia, as someone not taken in by Griffith or his minions, but someone who truly knew him during his days as a human.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I just had a thought. What if you're right and Rickert heads to Falconia. Him and Erica both. After all, he needs to be somewhere pretty safe. Who knows what horrors he might see there? Maybe he'll ask Griffith why he did what he did. "IS IT TRUE??"

Maybe he'll provide weapons to this new band of the hawk. And maybe, when Guts returns, he'll somehow be a major key. He'll know the ins and outs of how things work. Maybe he'll sneak Guts into the city.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Rickert and Erica were left behind at Godot's home, with no clear future carved out for either of them. And in such a changed world, where might they land?

You know, I think a major component of Rickert's future is Erica, whom you haven't really addressed. She's the reason he stayed behind in volume 22, and I think by the time we see the two of them again they might very well be a couple. Knowing what he does about Griffith, would he take her to Falconia? Despite Guts' words, it was clear that Rickert had no sympathy left for Griffith after learning what happened to everyone, and he's also well sensibilized to the danger posed by apostles.

To me, for the two of them to go to Falconia there would need to be an external incentive. For example, with the advent of Fantasia their quiet little spot in the mountains could have become inhospitable because of hostile astral beings. Although from what we know, the cave at least used to be populated with elves. Maybe in time they'll return and rebuild it?

In my opinion there's really a lot of roles Rickert might play in the future. Would Falconia be the best possible use of his character? Possibly. But after all, we've got people like Raban, Owen, Foss or even Charlotte (and Anna) who could clue us in with a unique perspective (not to mention Silat, who's been a trusty observer during the war). Personally, I think it would be nice if Rickert was used to give us an insight on how things are in the rest of Midland, the parts were humans have to rely on themselves to survive against this new world.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Yeah, Rickert was messed up about what Guts told him. But in the end, he could never HATE Griffith, as per what Guts said. You make a very interesting point. But, after hearing that Griffith actually has his own capital city, that he's become king, Rickert could be curious to see Griffith's dream realized with his own eyes.

But on the other hand, Rickert moved on during the 2 years Guts left him with Erica, Godot, and Casca.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
You know, I think a major component of Rickert's future is Erica, whom you haven't really addressed. She's the reason he stayed behind in volume 22, and I think by the time we see the two of them again they might very well be a couple.
I didn't mention her and their potential as a couple because I'd already written that off as an inevitability. I'm sure wherever Rickert lands, Erica will be right there next to him. I didn't see that as being in question.

To me, for the two of them to go to Falconia there would need to be an external incentive. For example, with the advent of Fantasia their quiet little spot in the mountains could have become inhospitable because of hostile astral beings.
Yep, that's the basis of my thought on why he'd go to Falconia, even knowing what Griffith has become.

In my opinion there's really a lot of roles Rickert might play in the future. Would Falconia be the best possible use of his character? Possibly. But after all, we've got people like Raban, Owen, Foss or even Charlotte (and Anna) who could clue us in with a unique perspective (not to mention Silat, who's been a trusty observer during the war).
But these people were only observers of Griffith. They didn't know him as well as Rickert. Furthermore, the people you mentioned, aside from Silat, are also tucked comfortably under his wings. For that reason, I don't think they would be very reliable narrators.

Personally, I think it would be nice if Rickert was used to give us an insight on how things are in the rest of Midland, the parts were humans have to rely on themselves to survive against this new world.
Yeah, could be. One other thing that hasn't been mentioned is his background as Godot's apprentice. He's got a knack for weaponry. I think that's sure to play a role in whatever future he ends up with? It'd be neat if he was a part of some fledgling human village defending themselves against waves of creatures.

I think another part that's missing from this puzzle is, of course, we have no idea what the civilized world is like now, nor what Falconia is like within its walls. There are just so many elements of what the future holds that are currently uncounted for.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
I didn't mention her and their potential as a couple because I'd already written that off as an inevitability. I'm sure wherever Rickert lands, Erica will be right there next to him. I didn't see that as being in question.

Hehe of course, but we must think of the casual reader. :slan:

Walter said:
But these people were only observers of Griffith. They didn't know him as well as Rickert. Furthermore, the people you mentioned, aside from Silat, are also tucked comfortably under his wings. For that reason, I don't think they would be very reliable narrators.

Agreed, but a big part of the appeal for me would be to see doubts start to creep into their minds as they become aware of disturbing facts. Slowly realizing that Griffith isn't what he appears to be. And on a side note, I'd say Charlotte certainly came to know Griffith quite well, in the Biblical sense of the word. :iva:

Walter said:
Yeah, could be. One other thing that hasn't been mentioned is his background as Godot's apprentice. He's got a knack for weaponry. I think that's sure to play a role in whatever future he ends up with? It'd be neat if he was a part of some fledgling human village defending themselves against waves of creatures.

Yeah, that's the kind of stuff I was imagining. Rickert the tough smith being a key element of a "frontier" outpost's harsh struggle for survival.

Walter said:
I think another part that's missing from this puzzle is, of course, we have no idea what the civilized world is like now, nor what Falconia is like within its walls. There are just so many elements of what the future holds that are currently uncounted for.

Indeed, and that's it could turn out so many different ways. Makes me all the more excited to see what Miura's got in store for us!

Top Bottom