Author Topic: New Miura Interview  (Read 5617 times)

Online Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of the Abyss
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
New Miura Interview
« on: February 10, 2003, 02:31:24 PM »
This was found and translated by Puella. She is having technical problems right now, so I'm posting it for her.

Cool stuff.

-------------------

"Dororo" is my favorite manga by Tezuka Osamu.
It had a great influence on my work. Berserk is blended of my favorite novels and mangas. I've always wanted to make a dark and grotesque fantasy where something like mosters are likely to appear.

I think the big sword of Guts,the main character could be some kind of consequence to make readers feel extreme reality. I made the two main charcters like this:Guts goes through the ground mixed blood and mud while Griffith, antagonist, stays in some high place with white wings.

I heard Hirasawa(composer of berserk anime) saying "I think Guts' sword represents a penis and the monster's destroyed by it represent women's genetalia." I think he noticed some symbolic things play an important role in the story development.

I made the one-eyed child show up to Guts in vol. 1 as a symbol of the 'weakness' which Guts hates. But I also think the child is connected to the image of Griffith(vol. 10-12) in my subconciousness who lost the freedom of his body because of the horrilbe torture when he was still young.

For this reason, I think I made a setup which the child played a role to accept his spirit when Griffith as a demon king got his new body(vol.21). The story gets much bigger because of this. Honestly, I myself don't know when it will end. I just draw with my pen thinking only of each day's assignment.

Is my drawing going well as much as the serilaization goes on? Sometimes I feel a great pain that I can't endure when I look at the drawings I did long ago. This could mean I've got better. I think it is good to change continuously because when the drawing doesn't change anymore, then that means that the story is set.

As I work on detail, unknowingly I get to have more lines. I think I gave a lot of attention to the line I drew with G pen. I can feel a fiery spirit from it. A drawing done like that seems to reply "I've waited" when the one who drew asks "what do you think?". I love such a kind of manga and I want to draw that way.

--- From an interview when Miura got the 2nd Tezuka Osamu prize (2002)

-------------------

Thanks Puella!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2003, 02:34:51 PM by Walter »

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
Re:New Miura Interview
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2003, 11:18:48 PM »
Very nice stuff. :) Thanks Puella!

Offline Eddie

• Of the Vortex
  • Who wants to eat my meat?
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2003, 01:47:47 AM »
I heard Hirasawa(composer of berserk anime) saying "I think Guts' sword represents a penis and the monster's destroyed by it represent women's genetalia." I think he noticed some symbolic things play an important role in the story development.
lol that sounds like something theblakeman would say...

Thanks Puella[/b]
My adventures in Japan: http://mvbennett.wordpress.com/

Offline Wereallmad

• Of the Nexus
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2003, 05:21:15 AM »

leave it to the guy who writes songs about robot transexuals to be the only one to say it.....

Offline Doc AntMan

• Of the Interstice
  • I honestly think i sorta look like Guts
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2003, 05:58:26 AM »
wow, thats really mind blowing thanx puella
Hi! I'm Tony

Offline puella

• Gourmet Elf
  • Of the Abyss
  • Popopopopopopopo!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2003, 02:09:47 PM »

I've never thought about this. What cool inspection the creator has!

I made the one-eyed child show up to Guts in vol. 1 as a symbol of the 'weakness' which Guts hates. But I also think the child is connected to the image of Griffith(vol. 10-12) in my subconciousness who lost the freedom of his body because of the horrilbe torture when he was still young.

This, either. I've never thought that the deformed child could be connected to Griffith's image. I think it also could represent Griffith's weakness he supposedly got when he got tortured.
and MAYBE! It could imply:
All of Griffith's unstable states, something like his confusing feeling for Guts or new life as both an evil king and a human Griffith.

Offline theblakeman

• Of the Interstice
  • theblakeman- your local pervert
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2003, 03:52:31 AM »
lol that sounds like something theblakeman would say...

Thanks Puella[/b]

You know me all too well...

Also, about what he said about his drawings, I think that comparing the work he does now and the work he did back in volume 1...well I think that it has improved incredibly.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2003, 03:55:34 AM by theblakeman »

Offline Eddie

• Of the Vortex
  • Who wants to eat my meat?
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2003, 03:17:58 AM »
leave it to the guy who writes songs about robot transexuals to be the only one to say it.....
really? he has songs about robot transexuals?!
My adventures in Japan: http://mvbennett.wordpress.com/

Offline Wereallmad

• Of the Nexus
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2003, 07:52:31 AM »
really? he has songs about robot transexuals?!

Well, kinda. I think there are some similar concepts in a few of his songs. I think that was the basis of Siren, or maybe it was Sim City. I know Nurse cafe (title of one of his songs) is the name of a transexual bar in Tailand.  

http://www.nifty.ne.jp/forum/famiga/SHintro/eng-1.html

Hardware always have some restrictions, but Hirasawa seems to have enjoyed them on the contrary. Breaking common sense, he intentionally misused those restrictions and always achieved innovative sounds. Not allowing himself to stick to one style, he has kept creating new forms with his gifted sense: "Hard Electro-Punk", "New-Wave with Impact Sound", "Healing music made from the sound of calculating process of fractal figure", "Fictitious land's album interpreting Shemale of Thailand as Cyborg", and so on. All songs and melodies have unique and dynamic electronic sounds and beats. Besides, they are always filled with humanity which has no avant-garde-like difficulty at all.

The translation is kinda funky, there's some more funny shit.

4. Have you ever let AMIGA speak Thai? And what do the Thai voice say in "Haldyn Hotel" and "Cyborg" in this connection?

A: AMIGA cannot speak Thai. The intonation is a problem. For example, when you let AMIGA speak "he" in Thai and type it, AMIGA will pronounce a word meaning "female genitalias" by the intonation of it. By the way, do not say "Coffee" in Thailand. * * Coffee is pronounced "Koh-hee" in Japanese. It means "Give me female genitalias". I cannot tell you about the Thai words in my songs here because of the problem of copyrights.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2003, 07:58:08 AM by Wereallmad »