Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 70507 times)

Offline Sankari

Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #450 on: June 30, 2014, 02:46:16 PM »
Getting his tail is much, much harder than taking him down. I tried doing it a number of times before looking up the stats on the weapon that drops and seeing it wasn't worth it for my build, gave up.

I gave up as well, its really hard to score hits on his tail. I was trying with halberds, black knight greatsword, doing vertical swoops, but didn't manage to get his tail once , I tried maybe 20 - 30 times before I gave up and killed the bastard. Still, interesting boss

Offline Delta Phi

• Sylph Sword
  • Falconian
  • Of the Nexus
  • Grail Serpico!
« Reply #451 on: June 30, 2014, 03:22:03 PM »
If you can summon it makes it much easier. I got lucky and found someone to summon and we managed to cut if off, shortly there after the phantom got wrecked and I had to solo something like 70% of his health. That was also the first time I beat him. He has a couple rare attacks that I never managed to learn how to bait, but they leave his tail open for attack.

If you have to solo, it's a painstaking process and you'll be at it for a long time, but you'll get it just as long as you play it safe.

Offline Jaze1618

« Reply #452 on: July 03, 2014, 12:50:27 AM »
I believe you can bait a tail  slap attack from him by standing directly behind him after he dashes at you. That will make his tail vulnerable to melee for 4 to 5 seconds. He almost never does that attack, which it's the real problem. But it should be pretty deterministic if you stand directly behind him after his dash attack.

Search on YouTube and I bet you will find a video that shows it well.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 05:31:08 AM by Jaze1618 »

Offline ThePiedPiper

« Reply #453 on: September 23, 2017, 06:47:51 PM »
resurrecting this thread!

This year has seen my first real playthrough of the game. I'm currently on NG+, farming Souvenirs of Reprisal, as I'm trying to get all weapons, miracles, sorceries. I fear having to face Seethe again, I HATE getting cursed. I'm hoping that tanking all of his curses is still an option on NG+, because focusing on curse resist last 'run' was the only strategy that was successful for me.

I regrettably had to kill babe Priscilla for a second time because I didn't get her tail in the previous run  :sad: I am really looking forward to tackling the DLC again, I played through the entire thing except for the last boss. I was wanting to do the final DLC boss after the boss in the main game but because of its ending it went right into NG+ and I couldn't.

I can't shake how epic this entire game is, and how iconic all of the characters, enemies, and the setting is. I get the impression there won't be another game like this in the series (I've only played Demon's Souls and Dark Souls; the former I like even more than this one). I like this game so much that I almost feel like playing a third run, even after getting the platinum trophy.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 06:59:05 PM by ThePiedPiper »

Offline rockvoanjd

« Reply #454 on: September 23, 2017, 08:37:25 PM »
Give Bloodborne a try. I find myself always playing it over and over. FromSoftware games are just Fucking awesome

Offline Griffith

• The Millennium Falcon
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
  • My posts are better.
« Reply #455 on: September 23, 2017, 08:48:27 PM »
I'd also recommend Dark Souls III if you get tired of replaying NG+; unlike DS2 it's a true sequel and very much a love letter to the original Dark Souls, and I'm told Demon's Souls as well.

As for DS1 I had issues with NG+ because I used a fully upgraded Divine Claymore in my initial run and it was just too weak against most NG+ bosses for my taste. But then upgrading weapons to +10 can be a pain in the ass so I didn't want to be screwing around experimenting to find what I liked, so I just tried the Black Knight weapons and they're ridiculously powerful and relatively easy to upgrade to their +5 max with twinkling titanite. The axe does crazy damage, but halberd isn't far behind and is much faster with an better moveset. I think I read later it's possibly the best weapon in the game (and technically you can get it from a random drop in the first 10 minutes).

As for Seath, if I recall the Paladon armor should still work... or you can just cheese him to death with arrows. =)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 09:50:35 PM by Griffith »

Offline Eluvei

« Reply #456 on: September 23, 2017, 10:23:46 PM »
I can't shake how epic this entire game is, and how iconic all of the characters, enemies, and the setting is. I get the impression there won't be another game like this in the series (I've only played Demon's Souls and Dark Souls; the former I like even more than this one). I like this game so much that I almost feel like playing a third run, even after getting the platinum trophy.

I played Demon's Souls years after Dark Souls and was surprised with how much I loved it. Ended up being one of my favorite games of all time. But yeah, try DS2 and DS3 out, they're both inferior to the original, but worth giving a shot if you've got the time. I actually thought DS2 was okay, and played through it a bunch of times, but really didn't like 3.

Offline Griffith

• The Millennium Falcon
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
  • My posts are better.
« Reply #457 on: September 24, 2017, 05:03:55 AM »
I played Demon's Souls years after Dark Souls and was surprised with how much I loved it. Ended up being one of my favorite games of all time.

*sigh*

But yeah, try DS2 and DS3 out, they're both inferior to the original, but worth giving a shot if you've got the time. I actually thought DS2 was okay, and played through it a bunch of times, but really didn't like 3.

Interesting, DS2 was my first and I have a real love/hate relationship with it to this day; I want to love it and always end up sort of hating it. DS1 was an on again/off again experience until I finally found my groove and then it was really ON, just an all-time classic that lives up to the legend. That enthusiasm carried over to DS3 for me in a big way and I played the hell of it from every angle, numerous NG+'s, all the DLC, even elements I usually rather avoid like the various forms of multiplayer were embraced. Though, as definitive as it tries to be I realize it's ultimately just as derivative. And strangely, I've put the most time into 2 (over 200 hours between the original and SOTFS) even though it's my least favorite, the one I'm least adept at, and I've yet to complete its final DLC or try its more comprehensive and intriguing NG+. I guess that's why it's the one I still fire up every once in a while; unfinished business, and I'm still looking for something I think is there but haven't quite found. I never quite mastered it and never quite figured out if it was worth it.

Offline Johnstantine

« Reply #458 on: September 27, 2017, 02:34:57 PM »
Bloodborne is the best, though.