Dark Souls

Dark Souls.

Ladies and gentleman, which of you are delving into this?

I began last night. It's gorgeous and plays noticeably smoother than it's predecessor. Opted to start as a female Knight since my character in DS was male. :slan: I spent around 15-20 minutes making my character actually look good. The game begins and cue me saying, "Oh, she's undead." :ganishka:

Is it just me, but does anyone else miss the Nexus? I feel like I'm going to get very lost in this game.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
At last!

Anyway, I'm also currently playing the game as you know. Don't worry, the world isn't all that big, you won't get lost.

any tips on special weapons? farm spots, etc.? I already have the drake sword. but i need dragon scale (drake scales?) to upgrade it.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Finally a thread. I stopped playing after I defeated the Gaping Dragon and had a bit of trouble in Blighttown but I'll be picking it up again soon hopefully.
jackalj said:
any tips on special weapons? farm spots, etc.? I already have the drake sword. but i need dragon scale (drake scales?) to upgrade it.
I'm also using the drake sword but I would suggest you save your dragon scales and don't bother upgrading it. Since the drake sword doesn't scale with any stats you won't get any bonuses as you progress so upgrading it is a waste. However, since it still does a good amount of damage for where I am in the game I'm holding onto it for now. But I do need to start upgrading a new weapon and soon. I'm just not sure what yet. I really don't want to waste souls or items needed to upgrade on something that won't turn out to be worth it. I'm using a shield and wielding the drake sword with one hand, but sometimes if the enemies are weak I'll go two-handed. I'm keeping my weight down so I can doge easily. I also have Havel's ring that allows me to carry a LOT more stuff, very useful.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
I just started this today, I rented it a few days a go to give it a try. I liked it alot! managed to get to Blightown for now. I"m playing a female cleric.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
jackalj said:

The key to getting powerful weapons is upgrading. Any standard longsword can be transformed into something quite powerful with enough upgrades. To upgrade you'll need Titanite Shards (there are many differents kinds). At first you won't be able to upgrade past a certain point but as you progress through the game more types of upgrades will be unlocked. The standard shards drop off Balder Knights, and they can also be bought from Andre of Astora (blacksmith). Keep in mind though that if you haven't even found dragon scales yet, it's unlikely that you'll be able to upgrade a weapon beyond the Drake Sword's damage at this point.

Oburi said:
I'm also using the drake sword but I would suggest you save your dragon scales and don't bother upgrading it. Since the drake sword doesn't scale with any stats you won't get any bonuses as you progress so upgrading it is a waste. However, since it still does a good amount of damage for where I am in the game I'm holding onto it for now. But I do need to start upgrading a new weapon and soon. I'm just not sure what yet. I really don't want to waste souls or items needed to upgrade on something that won't turn out to be worth it.

Dragon scales can only be used on specific weapons anyway, so as long as you're holding onto that Drake Sword I'd actually recommend you to upgrade it whenever possible. To be honest I find that sword to be completely overpowered given how early you get it in the game.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
I've put countless hours into this game since it came out. Best use of a $60 game I've bought in a hot second. The Drake Sword is incredibly powerful for the time in which you get it. Pretty much sets the game on easy mode. Personally, I don't think it's worth upgrading as the weapons later on that use Dragon Scales are more worth it. By time it's completely useless you'll most likely have found the lightning spear (weapon, not miracle), at which point you can just poke your way to the end game if you so choose.

Aaz did kind of hit it on the head though. You can make quite a few weapons viable with a little upgrading. Black Knight weapons are particularly powerful, albeit heavy, if you manage to drop one.

Currently, I'm playing a thief assassin type build based around stealth to off my enemies. Doesn't fly too well on bosses, but it's fun for the rest of the game.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I've killed two black knights with not a drop. Although one of them was incredibly stupid. It's at the bottom of Darkroot basin. I accidentally rolled off the edge and the stupid black knight ran after me after I died and killed himself. I missed his drop which sucked I would have rather took him on.

Viral Harvest

Every Knee Bent Too Shall Break
Haven't played this in about a week, but I just got to the Valley of the Drakes. I made it a point to play a sort of completely beast Barbarian (Warrior) class that feeds himself on Strength, Vitality, and Endurance (for the most part). I love the fact that this game keeps you on your toes and leaves little room for error, it makes the series of small successes that much more potent.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Delta Phi Zeta said:
Personally, I don't think it's worth upgrading as the weapons later on that use Dragon Scales are more worth it. By time it's completely useless you'll most likely have found the lightning spear (weapon, not miracle), at which point you can just poke your way to the end game if you so choose.

Hmm, I don't know about that. I think you find some scales relatively early on
(one in Blighttown, one from the Zombie Dragon in Valley of Drakes, plus the Hydra in Darkroot Basin)
and that can help until you
get to Sen's Fortress and
find the Lightning Spear. Besides they can always be farmed later on if needed. But yeah it's not vital to upgrade it or anything.

Oburi said:
I've killed two black knights with not a drop. Although one of them was incredibly stupid. It's at the bottom of Darkroot basin. I accidentally rolled off the edge and the stupid black knight ran after me after I died and killed himself. I missed his drop which sucked I would have rather took him on.

Hahaha, I killed the first Black Knight you encounter in Undead Burg by cunningly luring him off a cliff. Only afterwards did I realize that Black Knights don't respawn. Lesson learned. It's weird that the other one you killed dropped nothing though. As far as I remember, they all do, even though later in the game it's mostly Titanite Chunks in my experience.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
Is it possible to reinforce the Drake Sword with Titanite?

Didn't you read the previous posts? The Drake Sword requires Dragon Scales and 10,000 souls to reinforce.

Good lord. Sif is pummeling me. PUMMELING!!! My bum is so sore, it's not even funny. 30+ times I've attempted this fight. I'm so close to copping out and fighting him like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViBmFbvm3RA&feature=related

If I do it that way though, I'll feel lame! Catch 22!

EDIT: I frickin' did it! The real, honest to goodness way! In all honesty, I did give the cheap way a shot. Twice. I was killed before even getting up the hill. It was surprisingly easy once you learn how to move around him. :ubik: Magical things happen on lunch breaks.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
EDIT: I frickin' did it! The real, honest to goodness way! In all honesty, I did give the cheap way a shot. Twice. I was killed before even getting up the hill. It was surprisingly easy once you learn how to move around him. :ubik: Magical things happen on lunch breaks.

Hehe, I mostly stayed under him during the fight myself. :guts:

Just like Demon's Souls, I'm loving every second of this game. Although currently, i want to smash all i own to pieces, because of the four Kings.
Not the ones you visit on your first playthrough, those where relatively easy. But on NG+, I just can't kill them.
I don't have Iron Flesh and my Build is mostly str, since I don't like the cookie cutter lightning/vit builds that everybody seems to use.
I want to avoid help, since I managed to do everything else alone, even Super Ornstein.
Guess I have to practice evading those stupid purple bolts of certain death...

I downloaded a patch this morning for Dark Souls on PS3 before heading to work. I noticed when I went back to pick up the souls I dopped where I had last died, it read REVIVAL as opposed to YOU REVIVED.

I did some searching (see blow) and noticed that the 1.05 patch addressed as slew of issues, along with translational corrections.

http://trendygamers.com/2011/11/16/dark-souls-patch-1-05-information-complete/

Can anyone confirm if U.S. servers received the 1.05 patch? :???: It's out in the U.S.

Started a new character today because of the patch and have to say, the game did get a little tame. I only played up to the shortcut after Taurus, but even there they smoothed out some rough edges:
The firebomb-throwing guys over the bridge behind the bonfire seem to no longer jump down randomly, making the infamous room behind the bridge less deadly
On to of the tower where you fight Taurus, the archer no longer stands directly at the end of the ladder, making it less tense to exit the ladder without being hit
The dragon on the bridge after Taurus takes longer to spit fire at you when you run across the bridge, allowing you to actually make it to the stairs without getting burnt
Enemies drop a lot more souls
You no longer have to pick up the loot from crystal lizards and black knights, the game gives you the loot like it does with bosses

I've heard 4 Kings and Capra are now easier as well. Somehow I feel glad I could play this game before this patch, even though i like the improvements they made to the online play and item balance

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I noticed the drops from Black Knights. There also have been changes to how equipment load is calculated. My character's able to carry quite a bit more than before.

dsds02.gif

Has taken over my free time.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hahaha, that pixel art is pretty neat! Missing some key "characters" though (and there's a few I don't recognize)!

Somehow i want to play a Dark/Demon's Souls Zelda-Like Adventure now...
Really nice work!
(although I think the Capra Demons should be darker)

Aazealh said:
Hahaha, that pixel art is pretty neat! Missing some key "characters" though (and there's a few I don't recognize)!

Yeah, it's nicely done!
It's normal if you don't recognize some of them... you didn't played Demon's Souls! :iva:

P.S. Yeah, yeah, I know! "send me your PS3 with the game and I'll be able to play it!" :ganishka:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
Gwyn = Holy hard. Whittled him down to 5% health, then Havel's shield broke and he promptly ended me. :judo:

He's surprisingly easy to kill if you just parry and riposte. Took me a little while to notice it.

Top Bottom