Dark Souls

Infinte

They see me rollin', they hatin'.
Oh sorry my bad, my build have been somewhat of a hybrid one which primarily focuses on the melee stats (Vit, End and Str) while also going for Faith and Int. The closest class in usual RPGs I can come up with would be a spellsword, my playstyle has mainly been a melee one where I occasionally use spells/miracles/pyromancies and lightning/fire/magic weapons depending on the bosses and the enemies weaknesses.

I have for the most of the time throughout the game been using Ring of Favor and Protection and while using other rings depending on the situation and the thing I would like to do in NG+ is continue being a spellsword and being able to use high poise armor like the stone armor.

P.S. I won't do PvP that much with this character so is there some things I should ignore while going for a full PvE build.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I'm stuck on the four kings right now but from what I've gathered before starting new game + you should upgrade and buy everything you can and even kill all npcs for there items too. Also you might want to kindle as many bonfires as possible to make it easier.

I also did a lot of multiplayer last night and I must say, it was a delight. The people I fought were very kind and bowed before and after every battle (even though I got my ass kicked) and I helped a bunch of people defeat such bosses as the wolf Sif and and Ornstein and Smough and the iron golem. It was a lot fun. First time I really spent time on multiplayer. Played four hours straight!

Infinte

I would love to coop with someone as I only need to coop two more times (and defeated the area boss of course) to join the sunbros (Warrior of Sunlight) covenant but it seems that everytime i put down a sign no matter where I can't join someone else's world only time it worked where at The Gravelord Nito's place and I have tried at other bosses too. By the way I play on Xbox (Gamertag: Rarasec) and my Soullevel is 75.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Infinte said:
I would love to coop with someone as I only need to coop two more times (and defeated the area boss of course) to join the sunbros (Warrior of Sunlight) covenant but it seems that everytime i put down a sign no matter where I can't join someone else's world only time it worked where at The Gravelord Nito's place and I have tried at other bosses too. By the way I play on Xbox (Gamertag: Rarasec) and my Soullevel is 75.

Well I first layed down my signs I didn't get summoned either but then I figured because I'm sl 65 I should prolly lay it down near a boss that would need people around that level. So as I said, iron golem, ornstein & smough and Sif. Worked for me anyway. Lay your sign near the four kings tonight at around 1 in the morning. :serpico:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/122/1224905p1.html

Console people will be getting PC content this winter! :ubik:
Even better, the game's coming to Steam, not just Games for Windows Live. :ubik:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Just found out the DLC is called "Artorias of the Abyss", which was easily my favorite piece of lore in the game, so now I'm definitely getting it. :puck:

Can anyone be a pal and place a summon sign outside of Smough-Ornstein location. :sad: I'm on NG+ and just got my game back from a pal who had it for over 2 months. Needless to say, I'm rusty and I couldn't even beat it solo when I was on point. I'll even make time and play when it's convenient for you. :casca: PS3 btw.

I'm at Soul Level 178 on NG++++ and about to head into the depths for the first time this play through to claim the Souls of the Gaping Dragon.

I bought and played through the game into NG++ back in October/November of last year. Picked it back up after a long break late May and have been trying to bring my int up (Originally focused on STR/VIT/END) to make the most of the game's magic system.

It's been interesting to see some of the changes that have been introduced in the few patches FROM SOFTWARE put out, but I may be running out of steam again soon until the DLC comes out in December. Even on NG++++ it takes a decent amount of time to farm up the souls needed to level up, but I still need to level up more to be able to use Crystal Soul Spear and Dragons Breath magic spells.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
I"m on level 98 and only have Gwyn to defeat to finish the game. If anyone on the PS3 needs some assistance or wants to play a bit add me on the PS3. TH3branded1 is my tag.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Jaze1618 said:
Anyone loving the new prepare to die edition content?
Haven't got to any of it yet, but I'm having fun playing with a few friends that just started with the PC edition. :guts:

Infinte

I preordered my PC version quite some time ago and I still haven't got it but I'm pretty sure it will be tomorrow and for those of you who already have the PC version or are planning to get it on their PC, I really recommend you getting Durantes Dark Souls fix as it not only unlocks the locked(it renders it at 1024x768 no matter what resolution you choose) framebuffer(?) and forces the game to render on at least 1080(if you get at anyhere more then that then the game will be supersampled or something like that, I'm not quite sure on what it is called). It also adds 16AF(Antisotropic Filtering for those who don't know), there is also a way to add MSAA if you are using an Nvidia graphicscard but then you will have to use the Nvidia controlpanel and register the game as skyrim or something.

P.S. It also adds Depth of Field in the newest version of Durantes fix.

Here is a video on how it might look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTAlZLXAS_s

Here is an ingame screenshot.

34q79xw.png

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
A better example of the high resolutions possible with Durante's fix: http://i.minus.com/ihVB47Z3eNInj.png & http://i.minus.com/i929cm9FNXGWa.png & http://www.thejayzone.com/pics/dsouls/ds1.png

Pretty incredible stuff. Too bad the framerate kinda blows (at least on my machine).

How is everyone playing this game on PC? With keyboard and mouse or controller? I haven't played it yet and was thinking about picking it up, but have read numerous complaints about it being unplayable on PC without USB controller?? Is that true??

turkitage

ターク
those screenshots look great. I really like how they did the Lore in the Souls series. Though, I haven't beat the game yet on ps3. I have been following up with a youtube channel EpicNameBro and all the story/lore and details he shares about the game is amazing.

frankencowx said:
How is everyone playing this game on PC? With keyboard and mouse or controller? I haven't played it yet and was thinking about picking it up, but have read numerous complaints about it being unplayable on PC without USB controller?? Is that true??

From what I have read very few people are playing this with Keyboard and mouse, and that it is far harder to control that way than USB controller.

Also for anyone interested direct2play is having a sale for 21.99$ through tomorrow I think.
http://www.direct2play.com/243-dark-souls-prepare-to-die-edition-pc-game-steam-digital-download-multilanguage.html

Some people have reported that its a bit of a hassle to get it from direct2play but that once you are registered it plays on steam just fine.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/667257-dark-souls-prepare-to-die-edition/63859966

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
frankencowx said:
You will want to get a controller for this game. What I use is a USB adapter that allows me to use an old PS2 dual-shock analog controller. Works fine. The only trouble is I cant rebind the buttons, and two of the placements are weird. I could download third-party software to change it, but I'm just lazy... :void:

Still absolutely loving this game, guys. I don't want to oversell it, but it's one of my favorite games of all time. I've felt this kind of exuberance for a game maybe 3 times in my life. I've gotten out of bed to play it in the middle of the night, only to be found out and berated by my wife. The last time this happened was 1987 with Super Mario Bros., when my mom found me playing at 1 a.m. on a school night. This game is absolutely amazing. When I'm not playing it, I'm thinking about it.

I also think people too often overstate the difficulty of this game, and that may scare some people away. It's not that it's impossibly hard or anything. It just requires you to learn all of its nuances through experience, not a tutorial. There are no glowing, pulsating red weak points on enemies. But once you learn the basic rules of combat, get a feel for your weapon and equipment, and how to handle each type of enemy, the game's honestly pretty easy, so long as you're cautious and aware of your surroundings. It's when you encounter one of the hundreds of curve balls the game throws at you as you progress through it that it's truly challenging.

It's that tension and sense of accomplishment when you succeed that makes the game so unique and exciting to me.

Turkitage said:
those screenshots look great. I really like how they did the Lore in the Souls series. Though, I haven't beat the game yet on ps3. I have been following up with a youtube channel EpicNameBro and all the story/lore and details he shares about the game is amazing.
The lore and story of the game world is indeed cool. I love learning about it piece by piece, but honestly I think the way that it's conveyed is far too obscure. The game deserves better than that, imo. You have to really piece things together yourself, which of course goes hand-in-hand with the way the other game's systems are constructed. But for story, I wouldn't mind it being placed at the forefront instead of buried in menu-based item descriptions.

Walter said:
Still absolutely loving this game, guys. I don't want to oversell it, but it's one of my favorite games of all time. I've felt this kind of exuberance for a game maybe 3 times in my life. I've gotten out of bed to play it in the middle of the night, only to be found out and berated by my wife. The last time this happened was 1987 with Super Mario Bros., when my mom found me playing at 1 a.m. on a school night. This game is absolutely amazing. When I'm not playing it, I'm thinking about it.

I haven't felt that way about a game in a loooong time. You've borderline convinced me to get it.

frankencowx said:
I haven't felt that way about a game in a loooong time. You've borderline convinced me to get it.

I'd also like to point out the obvious, that if you don't already have a USB controller you can get the game on sale at direct2play to offset the cost of having to buy one. However, I would say that this is my favorite game in at least the past 5 years, and its worth so much more to me than even the full retail price.

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
Wow, that's some enormous praise. I'm curious if any of you guys have played the first one, Demon's Souls, and if you can compare Dark Souls to that one? I've played Demon's for many hours on my PS3, and I'm wondering if there's anything that this game does better.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
I have about 210 hours with 3 different characters. I played the first one with no knowledge at all, the second one I didn't know about the second serpent ,and in my third play through I'm just trying to get as much as I can of items

Saephon said:
Wow, that's some enormous praise. I'm curious if any of you guys have played the first one, Demon's Souls, and if you can compare Dark Souls to that one? I've played Demon's for many hours on my PS3, and I'm wondering if there's anything that this game does better.
They both play very similarly, have the exact same combat mechanics, similar penalties for death, and hell, even have the same character development system. If you've played Demon's, then you'll be perfectly at home with Dark. The biggest difference between them is largely in how the worlds are assembled. Demon's takes place in five separate levels that are accessed from a central hub, while Dark takes place in a larger and (mostly) seamless world. It can seem a little confusing at first, as it's not always clear where exactly you're supposed to go, a sizable chunk of the game is completely optional, and it's easier than ever to go someplace where you could get in over your head. But depending on who you are, that could add to the charm. It certainly does for me. Dark Souls is a hell of a lot bigger than Demon's Souls, and in my opinion, has better level design, enemies, and boss encounters overall.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
I'm also enjoying Dark Souls on PC quite a bit (with the fan-made resolution patch and xbox 360 controller).

The game is very fun and im glad that i can finally play it after seeing my friend play it on his PS3.

currently in Sen's Fortress (lvl 52). :ubik:

Top Bottom