Dark Souls

Breed1Ghost said:
I am finding it really hard to get into this game. I don't know why I really liked Demon souls but just cant get into this as much as I want to.

Maybe it's the absence of a Nexus? I know that I had this feeling during the first Moments of the game, that I somehow felt lost and didn't want to press on because of the bonfire system. I was afraid I'd end up stuck somewhere where I couldn't escape from. Turns out this is what you are supposed to feel and after a while you get used to it.
In Demon's Souls I could always just die and return to the Nexus to try another world or go to the blacksmith or whatever.

Currently playing a sorcerer and for the first time ever I chose the master key as a starting gift.
Holy hell, it's insane how strong you can become before even the Taurus. I stayed level 3 for a long time, just ran around the world getting all sorts of upgrades and items. When I finally got to him, he was down in 3 shots. Now I somehow don't want to level up much at all, just to see how far I can go, but I also want to be summoned for bossfights and that is quite pain when you are way below the level range for a boss... Two weeks till the DLC, hurry up, time!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gaahl said:
I somehow felt lost and didn't want to press on because of the bonfire system. I was afraid I'd end up stuck somewhere where I couldn't escape from. Turns out this is what you are supposed to feel and after a while you get used to it.
You can almost always just run past dudes to wherever you need to get to. It's not difficult at all.

Walter said:
You can almost always just run past dudes to wherever you need to get to. It's not difficult at all.

Yeah, that is what I know now, but back then, on my first play through, I was really scared. It got better once I made it to the undead parish.
I pretty much blindly ran away from a baldur knight and just hoped to find a bonfire.
Luckily I took the right turns and ended up by the blacksmith. :guts:
That was when I realized I could just dash through sometimes. Somehow I never did that in Demon's Souls, I always slowly tanked my way through. But then again, in Demon's Souls I would not be limited to 5 (or 10) estus flasks, I could just stock up on grasses and go on forever...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gaahl said:
But then again, in Demon's Souls I would not be limited to 5 (or 10) estus flasks, I could just stock up on grasses and go on forever...
I think the bonfires are logically spaced, with a few exceptions (New Londo grrrr...). So it never really bothered me. I only ran past guys after I had already conquered that area, and was just traversing from place to place. The scope of your transportation will change halfway through the game, so I wouldn't fret too much over this aspect.

You'll have this figured out by now, but
you should have key that fits into the door at the beginning of the dragon bridge, where you first met Knight Solaire. If not, take good look around the Parish
That part had me a little disoriented at first as well. I remembered the guy at Firelink Shrine telling my something about the other bell being "down below", so I went to New Londo ruins, didn't end well...

Just finished Seath with my sorceress. Going through the game using the Dusk Ring (the one that gives more casts but halves HP) is something else. Those boars that guard the entrance to the archives were harder than some bosses, especially the second one, luring just behind the corner. It's getting to a point where everything one-shots my anyways, so I might as well equip the red tearstone ring. I am getting really good at dodging though :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gaahl said:
That part had me a little disoriented at first as well. I remembered the guy at Firelink Shrine telling my something about the other bell being "down below", so I went to New Londo ruins, didn't end well...
Yep, I did the same, as I imagine many people did. It's poorly explained, particularly because you don't know the layout of the place at that stage of the game, and the guy is basically saying it's "far down below ... oh, but not down THOSE stairs!"

Just got to blight town, The knight at the bottom killed me then went back to get my 40k souls and some how it ended up walking of the edge and dying anyone remember if it drops anything good?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Breed1Ghost said:
Just got to blight town, The knight at the bottom killed me then went back to get my 40k souls and some how it ended up walking of the edge and dying anyone remember if it drops anything good?
I don't remember a knight in Blight Town..? Do you mean Undead Burg?

Black knights all have a chance to drop a piece of their equipment, consisting of a large sword, shield, and armor. I got the sword on my very first black knight kill in Undead Burg. I didn't think much of it at the time, but realized later how lucky I was. It's a great weapon that can suit you for the rest of the game, if you level it.

Hmm maybe not a knight it looked like the evil cook in the depths. I didnt get to good a look since it kicked my ass the first time and then it killed it self.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Breed1Ghost said:
Hmm maybe not a knight it looked like the evil cook in the depths. I didnt get to good a look since it kicked my ass the first time and then it killed it self.
If it was a big fat ass, then they generally only drop dung, which isn't very useful...

BTW, if you're in Blighttown for the first time, be prepared to get poisoned—a LOT. There is a shield that can help you with that.

Sounds like it was Maneater Mildred, a black phantom NPC invader. She only drops a few bits of Humanity and a pretty unremarkable Butcher Knife weapon.

Yeah i made a bad it was the fat ass. And yes i get toxic way to much i hate blighttown. this part of the game sucks for me this is like one of the lvls in demon souls it's just this time they want revenge.

Anyone know a good place to farm souls that is not a boss? I need a decent area just to kill some regular mobs for souls, I wish for an area like in 4-2 i believe in demon souls were you can just one shot the reaper with a bow and get 10k+ souls. Could almost get 1mill in souls in an hour or under...oh that was the best place.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Breed1Ghost said:
Anyone know a good place to farm souls that is not a boss? I need a decent area just to kill some regular mobs for souls, I wish for an area like in 4-2 i believe in demon souls were you can just one shot the reaper with a bow and get 10k+ souls. Could almost get 1mill in souls in an hour or under...oh that was the best place.
That sounds pretty boring to me. I didn't "farm" much in Dark Souls, but there is a verrrryyy cheesy spot you can farm in, if you've already faced the Forest Guardians, near the Seal of Artorias.

The bonfire before Smough and Ornstein is a handy spot. Just get good at riposte and it should be a piece of cake. Just got to level 211 on NG++. Pvp'ing at Kiln. Anyone near same level wanna try and join up? PS3 here.

Breed1Ghost said:

How far into the game are you?
Anor Londo is a good place to farm: Start on the bonfire at the spiral staircase inside the cathedral and work your way towards Ornstein&Smough, killing all the silver knights on the way.

Another Method would be in the forest: start at the Bonfire behind the hidden wall next the door you open with the crest of Artorias from Andre. Go through that door, engage all the forest NPC's and position yourself behind the stairs, so that you are right in the corner, the ledge to one side, the stairs to the other. The NPC's will run up the stairs, then try to fall down to you. If you position yourself right and raise your shield, the will be pushed over and behind you, falling off the ledge. Very effective in terms of souls per hour, but a little risky, sometimes the won't behave as planned and you have to fight them in that space. Can be a little nasty. Oh, and make sure you are not in the forest hunter covenant when doing this :iva:

Thank you for the help. I am not to far or I am mid game?... I am in blighttown and hate it so much I went back to just farming gapeing dragon but the summons have slowed down way to much i think its time to press on.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Breed1Ghost said:
I am in blighttown and hate it so much I went back to just farming ...
If it's the poison bugging you in Blighttown, a Spider Shield will really help you out. If you want to know where it is:
You can find it in a room behind where you first encountered that butcher/cook above the Depths.

Walter said:
If it's the poison bugging you in Blighttown, a Spider Shield will really help you out. If you want to know where it is:
You can find it in a room behind where you first encountered that butcher/cook above the Depths.

hmm thank you I will look for this!!

Also anyone know how bleeding works? def doesnt seem to be the same as in Demon souls. I been using the barbed long sword from Kirk and the 300% bleed doesnt seem to work on anything i hit. Is it just for pvp lets say?

It's definately not just for pvp. I don't know how bleeding worked in Demon's Souls but in Dark Souls see the wiki:
http://darksouls.wikidot.com/bleed

I think in Demon Souls it went by how much dmg you delt in a number of hits you conected with. Or it went by how many hits you conected with, or it felt that way i dont remember any meter build up so it was super easy to get bleed going. almost every curved sword had bleed in demon souls I need to get used to the weapon changes now also.

But now I understand how it works.

DLC arrives today! 5:00 pm can't arrive fast enough...

Beat the sanctuary guardian on my second try. :beast: That one stamina draining attack is a killer if not dodged. Found out afterward I could have cut his tail off (hello NG+++).

Talked to Liz the Shroom, saw a giant black dragon, got scared and homeward boned outta there. So happy there's more Dark Souls to sink my teeth into.

Proj2501 said:
DLC arrives today! 5:00 pm can't arrive fast enough...

Beat the sanctuary guardian on my second try. :beast: That one stamina draining attack is a killer if not dodged. Found out afterward I could have cut his tail off (hello NG+++).

Talked to Liz the Shroom, saw a giant black dragon, got scared and homeward boned outta there. So happy there's more Dark Souls to sink my teeth into.

I am on NG+++ already and I had only just beaten the Capra demon last time I played. I progressed through blight town and rang the 2nd bell last night. Hoping to beat O & S tonight, then be at the DLC by the end of tomorrow.

Trying to kick the crap outta sens....but it kicked the crap outta me =(. 3 demons down in the pit 1 more lucky demon to go...oh ittle be on like donkey kong!

Top Bottom