Dark Souls

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Breed1Ghost said:
I cant seem to get to them i have poison arrows and the stuff that makes weapon in right hand poisend havent had to much luck also have no power yet to try again waiting tillni get power while staying at my in laws house.

My main weapon is the lightninig spear as of when i found it think i made it lvl 2
You will probably want to get a different main weapon for an upcoming boss fight, who has an affinity for lightning.

Dar Klink said:
Are you using resin at all? It might up your damage just enough to be bearable. Or maybe an elemental weapon since at that level scaling means shit.

I use a fire longsword +10, so no resin for me. I started with the enigma, so all my stats are at 11. That of course means that I can't use that many weapons, that longsword is a good as it will get. I do have 8 great combustions and an ascended flame +3 which I could up to +5, but one shot of those takes longer than a stab does, so they are actually more risky. I got him down to about 25% last night but couldn't repeat that. Currently, if he wants to end the fight, he does :sad:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gaahl said:
I use a fire longsword +10, so no resin for me. I started with the enigma, so all my stats are at 11. That of course means that I can't use that many weapons, that longsword is a good as it will get. I do have 8 great combustions and an ascended flame +3 which I could up to +5, but one shot of those takes longer than a stab does, so they are actually more risky. I got him down to about 25% last night but couldn't repeat that. Currently, if he wants to end the fight, he does :sad:
I don't get it, why are you choosing not to level up? What's the benefit of intentionally gimping yourself like that? Did I miss the secret entrance exam for the super-macho Dark Souls club?

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
Walter said:
Did I miss the secret entrance exam for the super-macho Dark Souls club?

Well actuallyyyyy....there is the Soul Level 1 playthrough club. :slan: Not sure how many goats you have to sacrifice, but apparently it's possible.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Saephon said:
there is the Soul Level 1 playthrough club. :slan:
Sounds boring. :schierke:

Just beat Ornstein and Smough on New Game+. Took 6 tries instead of 1 this time :farnese: Though at that last fight, I had them both on a string. Only used 2 flasks. After that, I had enough souls to finally buy enough titanite to level all pieces of the Black Knight armor (my favorite in the game) to max. I... I think I'm finally nearly done, guys.

After I head through the DLC area, which I skipped my first playthrough, I plan to hang it up for good. Fucking love this game. Absolutely can't wait to see what From comes up with next.

Walter other than the DLC, did you already to all the other optional stuff? Specifically, the great hollow, ash lake, painted world, return to undead asylum, Battle Gwyndolin in Anor Londo?

Walter said:
I don't get it, why are you choosing not to level up? What's the benefit of intentionally gimping yourself like that? Did I miss the secret entrance exam for the super-macho Dark Souls club?

I've beaten the game multiple times with different Chars, so I wanted to see how far I could get without leveling. To me the great thing about this is that I have to actually pay attention to what I'm doing again. Even on my NG++ char, bosses just die in a couple of hits. With the small one I really have to pay attention to every move and keep the concentration up. It kind of recreates the feeling I had when I played the game for the first time.

Edit: I got him!!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Jaze1618 said:
Walter other than the DLC, did you already to all the other optional stuff? Specifically, the great hollow, ash lake, painted world, return to undead asylum, Battle Gwyndolin in Anor Londo?
I've already done all of those except Ash Lake, which I still haven't really found, and Gwyndolin, which I have no intention of doing
(since I believe that it requires offing my princess, WHO I AM SWORN TO PROTECT)
:azan: .

Gaahl said:
To me the great thing about this is that I have to actually pay attention to what I'm doing again. Even on my NG++ char, bosses just die in a couple of hits. With the small one I really have to pay attention to every move and keep the concentration up. It kind of recreates the feeling I had when I played the game for the first time.
Okay I can see that. The first few bosses on New Game+ for me were embarrassingly easy. I felt really overpowered after taking Sif down in the first attempt... Also, the areas haven't been scaled up appropriately in difficulty either. Then it started scaling up. Silver Knights could take me down in about 4-5 hits (of course I could kill them with a single parry/riposte...) But S&O were definitely much tougher this time around.

Next for me is 4 kings, then I'll have my first discussion with Kaathe.

Edit: I got him!!
Congrats! I can't wait to fight him... A little intimidated based on what I've heard. But that's a good feeling at this point in the game.

Walter said:
I've already done all of those except Ash Lake, which I still haven't really found, and Gwyndolin, which I have no intention of doing
(since I believe that it requires offing my princess, WHO I AM SWORN TO PROTECT)
:azan: .

You don't need to kill Gwynevere to fight Gwyndolin, even if you kill him she stays, together with the sunlight. To gain access to him without killing her you need to find the darkmoon seance ring in the catacombs.

What Gaahl says is correct. Also you may find this out from speaking to Kaathe but I am pretty sure you can only pick it up from reading the lore in various item descriptions:
Gwyndolin is the youngest child of Lord Gwyn and the last remaining god in Anor Londo. The real Gwynyvere left Anor Londo long ago when she married the God of Fire, Flann. The Gwynyvere that the player meets is an illusion created and maintained by Gwyndolin. Gwyndolin supports his father's agenda and the Gwynyvere illusion is designed to trick/coerce the chosen undead [you] into bringing the Lord Vessel to King Seeker Frampt, who leads you towards the path of linking the fire at the very end of the game. [imo the "bad" ending a.k.a. the player was tricked by gwyndolin].

Also Walter, did I read correctly that you said you HAVE been to The Great Hollow but not to Ashe Lake? Both are pretty unique locations and I recommend you check out all the game has to offer. The entrance to Ashe lake is
through The Great Hollow.

I suggest you do these Gwyndolin/Great Hollow/Ashe Lake before the DLC areas, because compared to the length and challenge of the DLC, you may find these underwhelming by comparison.

Haha good job Walter! I was actually really embarrassed when I found out through this thread I had never been to The Great Hollow or Ash Lake. Immediately started playing again to see them and now excited about doing DLC again. Walking out into Ash Lake was beautiful, I can't believe I almost missed it completely!

Nice Job Walter. Took me a minute to realize the 2nd pic must be from Gwyndolin's hall. Not sure if you play a faith build, but I recall you get a unique miracle from that hall. I hope the trek to Ashe lake was worth the time it took to get there. Fortunately you got the Lord Vessel first and can just warp out of there. The hike isn't so fun on the way back.

Enjoy the DLC please update us on your experience. Same to you Draculoid.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Jaze1618 said:
Enjoy the DLC please update us on your experience. Same to you Draculoid.
Well, I was all set to launch into the DLC tonight. Buuuuuut, I'm trying to play the Kaathe route, so I have to go through the 4 Kings before I can use the Lordvessel, and I'm having much more difficulty than last time with these asswipes...

In the very first match, I had them dead to rights, wailed through three of them with little trouble, then the fourth spawned and instantly launched a slow homing missile (unblockable--you have to run away for 15 seconds, or wait for it to hit you, usually at an inopportune time) + sucked me in (unblockable unless you run away and not locked on), then after that, the unblockable homing finally arrived, stunning me and bringing me to almost zero life. While I was stunned, he did his unblockable AoE... :mozgus: :mozgus: :mozgus: Along with these bullshit attacks, they have an insane, almost unpredictable range. Could they be any cheaper?

After that, I lost my composure in the rematch along with 19 souls, so after a few more utter failures, I said fuck it for the time being.

So yeah, fucking lousy night for me with Dark Souls. Extremely frustrated. I'll be back tomorrow though :femto: . I welcome any advice aside from any magical routes. I'm using Queelag's Furysword +5 and it's not doing a terrible amount of damage... suggestions?

4 Kings on NG+ where incredibly tough for me as well. After countless tries, this is what I did in the end: Dressed up in full Smoughs Armor, equipped the BKGA+5 as well as the Greatshield of Artorias+5 and just tanked through everything the did, eating green blossoms whenever they would run out. That was before the BKGA got its damage reduced, so today I would probably just use my Demons Great Axe+15, which does way more damage per swing anyway.
I blocked the magic and most of the time simply poised through the normal attacks. Fully upgraded Giants would be even better for that then Smoughs.
Oh, and I think I did use Beatrice. I hear that you shouldn't use her in this fight as the kings get more life when summons are present and her damage doesn't offset this on NG+, but it worked out.

Funny, the four kings were really easy for me on NG+. Killed them on a first try, but I had great problems with S&O.
For defense I used a combination of black knight armor and Havel’s armor and shield, and I had Great sword of Artorias. Can't remember the damage but it took several swings to bring one down. I just tanked through their magic, maybe got hit 3-4 times, healed and hacked away and that’s it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Of course I beat it on my first try today, after getting some sleep. I was probably just exhausted from everything yesterday. Was a breeze with Power Within, two handed Queelag and just taking the hits, rolling when I could.

Hmmmmm, can't quite place my finger on where I've seen such armor before! :carcus:

Walter said:
Of course I beat it on my first try today, after getting some sleep. I was probably just exhausted from everything yesterday. Was a breeze with Power Within, two handed Queelag and just taking the hits, rolling when I could.

Green Blossoms, Power Within and High Poise. That was my key to success in NG++++.

I recently got a close friend of mine to pick up and play. I made a new character just to help him with his first playthrough. It's quite a jolt going from a level 273 character to brand spankin' new one.

This game's like an onion, so many layers and sometimes it makes me cry. PvP is really becoming my thing. Giant's Armor fully upgraded makes Smough's armor look meh. I'm always learning new techniques and strategies. I'll admit, when an invading phantom would spawn, I would give them no quarter in fear they would end me in 2-3 hits. Now, being a little for more comfy, I take a bow and try to PvP like a gentleman. The Stone Greatsword/Lifehunt Scythe, Repair Powder and the Pursuer spell. :daiba: Bring. It. The. Fuck. On.

Anyone around the 270 level on PS3?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Breed1Ghost said:
I will be in around 200 or alittle less levels lol. Been doing good lately farmed for a while.
Jesus.... Isn't that making the game too easy? I finished it at 80 something, and that felt about right challenge wise.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
I beat it at 72 and didn't even got anything special besides havel's armor . For me it was more getting my stamina up and strength up. That way, I would hit bosses with more hits and make them stagger.

Thanks for the tip about the Giant's Armor Proj. I've been using the full set of Smough armor and didn't realize there was anything better for me.

Walter said:
Jesus.... Isn't that making the game too easy? I finished it at 80 something, and that felt about right challenge wise.

Don't forget new game + (++) (+++) haha .

Just beat Gwyndolin for the first time today on my new game +, had completely forgotten about him originally! At first I thought it was tough since i had to hide by the columns to avoid the little homing attack and since his big attack went straight through but i very quickly got it down by like my fourth try. Just run at him straight most of the time and move side to side :guts:. Also swapped out my Smoughs armour for fully upgraded Giants. My faith character is pretty much complete I think!

Jaze1618 said:
Thanks for the tip about the Giant's Armor Proj. I've been using the full set of Smough armor and didn't realize there was anything better for me.

No prob. Just realized myself not too long ago.

Walter said:

Core game does become a little easier I admit. Unless you become sloppy. I'm enjoying being invaded by powerful people and subsequently handing their asses to them. The thrill is comparable to beating bosses on your first play through solo. That's my main reason for continuing to level up

Top Bottom