Dark Souls

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Draculoid said:
Don't forget new game + (++) (+++) haha .
Sure but this is breed's first playthrough, as I understood.

I'm on my second now and am about level 110 just finished with 4 kings.

Walter said:
Sure but this is breed's first playthrough, as I understood.

I'm on my second now and am about level 110 just finished with 4 kings.

Oh wow , if it is then my bad. I wasn't even comprehending someone being that level on their first playthrough and in that case I agree with you. At least it's cool that the game allows for that sort of thing, even if you aren't that great at the combat you can always level up to compensate.

Almost lvl 90 on my first play through, mostly for not knowing where to go so I farm souls. I am playing this like i did with demon souls taking my time and trying only to die at bosses if i cant beat them on the first shot.

So again alittle stuck not sure where to go I just got done with killing sif? i think the doggy with the sword? then went to vally of the drakes so not sure what to do there giant iron door cant open as far as i know the areas really short or I am def missing somethen.

Also been wearing the ring to protect the forest so I can get alittle pvp in won 2 times and lost once not to bad.

Breed, have you already met with Princess Gwynyvere? Have you placed the lordvessel? Have you acquired any lord souls? That would help give us an indication of what you should be doing next if you were stuck and needed help.|

On my own progress. I beat ng+++ last night (my first play through with the DLC content) and I used the soul of Manus to make pursuers. Now I need to beat him again on ng++++ to use the soul and get his catalyst. I've heard it does wonders for the dark sorceries if you also have a high STR stat.

I am level 206 at the moment, just ran through a big chunk ng++++ and this morning and beat O&S. I am well past the point of diminishing returns on leveling STR (70 +) and have just reached diminishing returns on INT (50) with (47) or so END and (49) VIT. I just got my 5th attunement slot, and am working on getting that stat up to 23 to get my 6th attunement.

Having Dark Bead, 2 crystal soul spears, and 2 souls spears at (50) INT made O&S a breeze in ng++++. Even without using any magic augmenting rings or equipment other than Master Logan's catalyst.

Its a shame that PS3, XBOX and PC players can't play together. I am worried that if I keep leveling, I will soon not find anyone to summon me. I also just joined the Sun Bro's covenant which should give me the unique perk of linking to members of Way Of the White, Princess Guard, and Sun Bro covenants to engage in jolly cooperation. Here's hoping.

I am about ready to go back into the DLC, but I am still worried about Manus on ng++++ since I needed the help of 2 coop summons and 1 NPC summon before I was finally able to beat him last time. But I was also still trying to use the Black Knight Great Axe at the time, not realizing its R1 attack had been stealth nerfed in patch 1.06

I have the lordvessel didn't do anything with it yet. After i got it I farmed for a while then did Butterfly,hydra,sif. Then went to the valley of drakes Not sure what to do here unless if its anything like the 2 bells then I will have to return later. Since all i can do is kill some drakes, I did kill the big dead looking dragon thing with arrows since I'm a cheap ass mofo. Also did the same with the hydra but had to fight the last three heads at its own area since it was hard to hit with arrows.

So this is how I played

Start area, to firelink, then undead burg/parish, then to depths, blight town, then queelags, got owned by discharge and left.

Didn't know what to do so farmed gapeing dragon for a bit and lvled my self and gear. Went to sens fort had trouble then roamed around alittle then went back and kicked its ass alittle at a time. Forgot to free the guy but will do it at some other time.

Then went to anor lando had alittle trouble cause of the stupid knights that had the dragon slayer bows on the ledge got lucky and passed that. Got furysword to lvl 4 (thank you sens fort) got hovels armor and am now using that and wish i could upgrade it.

Went to darkwood(or root?) and kicked the crap outta it except the hydra gave me a little trouble and sif i died once on.

Then went through darkwood or what ever it is I went to the valley of the drakes killed a few by an iron door that wont open got the ring and stuff. Moved up the path to the dead looking dragon but killed from afar with arrows got some stuff and went on to realize that's how i get to new lando and that is where i will be heading to.

Just took out Manus with the help of an NPC Summon in NG++++. This is the fight I was worried most about, even more than the 4 kings. Since I needed 2 coop summons and 1 npc summon to beat him the first time in NG+++. However it turns out my biggest folly then was trying to use an eagle shield +15 to fight him. Even with 84 stability, the 95% physical damage blocking made it a much more panicked fight.

As soon as I switched to the great shield of artorias the fight became a piece of cake. Now I'm going to try Kalameet by myself. I already got his tail last play through so I just need to kill him.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
I just got through the tutorial section of the game. The port cleans up pretty nicely with that DSfix (thanks for the link, Walter!) and an adjustment to the camera speed, which was getting me a bit carsick. I'm not really big on mods, so that'll probably be all for me, unless someone is merciful enough to put together a mod that replaces the Xbox button graphics with ones for the PC. :ganishka: Anyway, a few initial thoughts:

- The cutscene narrator is driving me nuts. The lines themselves aren't especially cheesy, but her delivery is killing me.
- I went for a Bandit without looking at any guides. NO REGRETS!
- I'm kinda getting down with my zombie self, I don't know if I want to go back to normal! Takes me back to ME2.

I'm hoping to read though the thread for tips soon, but am a bit worried about spoiling anything until I'm further along. In the meantime, I'll just be working on memorizing the controls. :judo:

Unless you want to summon some help everywhere you go, you'll be spending more time in your undead form.

Been playing the DLC content for the first time and it's been kicking my ass. I swear that every boss in it resists Magic damage. Just my luck to try my hand with an Intelligence-based character who uses the Moonlight Greatsword.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Dark Souls 2 is coming. Trailer was shown at the Video Game Awards tonight. Will post trailer when it's available.

http://kotaku.com/5966786/here-is-dark-souls-iis-debut-trailer

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Walter said:
Dark Souls 2 is coming. Trailer was shown at the Video Game Awards tonight. Will post trailer when it's available.

http://kotaku.com/5966785/dark-souls-ii-is-coming
Good deal. I haven't gotten deep into it just yet, but I really have to stress that since you like this game, have a friend lend you his PS3 and play Demon's Souls. It's literally the exact kind of game. Something to keep you entertained while staying at the house and all.

Walter said:

http://kotaku.com/5966786/here-is-dark-souls-iis-debut-trailer

That looks awesome. I really like those masked guys. I wonder when/where it will take place.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
untitled-1a1js3.gif

I agree, very psyched for this game. Great music in the trailer too. Wonder when this will be coming. I'd guess fall or winter 2013 based on their previous schedule.

As for when/where, I don't think the trailer reveals very much. At first I thought we saw what looks like Anor Londo on the horizon a few times, but it's a bit different actually. There are also some everlasting dragon corpses, so on first blush I'd guess that its at least around the same time as DS if not a bit afterwards (being a sequel afterall). After Gwyn's age at any rate. Yes, we see a dragon in the trailer, but it could just be a drake, and either way, we learned through Dark Souls that
not all the everlasting dragons were killed.

My question is... Wonder which ending will be canon. I'm hoping for Kaathe.

UPDATE:
From their press release issued after the debut:

Hopelessness, Despair, and Impending Doom Arrives With Dark Souls II

SAN JOSE, Calif. – December 7, 2012 – Leading video game publisher and developer NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc. today proudly announces that the critically acclaimed Dark Souls™ saga marches forward with Dark Souls™ II, currently in development at FromSoftware in Tokyo, Japan. Dark Souls II will continue a legacy of goading its passionate fan base with unrelenting challenge and suffering that are considered a hallmark of the series; while presenting new devilishly devised obstacles for players to overcome. Dark Souls II will be available for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, and PCs.

Built upon the foundation established by Souls series creator and Dark Souls II Supervisor, Hidetaka Miyazaki with development helmed by FromSoftware Director Tomohiro Shibuya, Dark Souls II will feature a new hero, a new storyline, and an unfamiliar world for players to survive in while delivering its signature brand of unrelenting punishment that players hunger for. Epic battles with gruesome enemies and blood-thirsty bosses await adventurers as they traverse through a devastated world filled with death and despair; only those who are strong willed or cunning can survive this journey to achieve great glory. Players seeking to share their experience will discover a revamped server-based multiplayer mode that will put a distinct Dark Souls II twist on the concept of playing with others.

“Dark Souls II retains the core essence of Dark Souls while evolving to present new twists and challenges that are sure to please longtime fans and attract new comers to the series,” says Carlson Choi, Vice President of Marketing at NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc. “FromSoftware is going to take a very dark path with Dark Souls II; players will need to look deep within themselves to see if they have the intestinal fortitude to embark on this journey.”

“This new chapter in the Dark Souls saga presents opportunities for us to drive innovation in gameplay design, develop an entirely new story, and expand the scope of the world in which the player interacts with the game. We have taken these necessary steps with Dark Souls II in order to evolve the overall experience of the Dark Souls series,” says Tomohiro Shibuya, FromSoftware Director on Dark Souls II. “The entire development team is striving to make Dark Souls II an experience that is fresh while not forsaking its roots in presenting players with challenging gameplay. Our goal is to surprise and delight our fans with new experiences and plot twists while enticing new players to join our dark journey.”

More details surrounding Dark Souls II will become available in the months leading to its release. Begin your Dark Souls II journey at www.DarkSoulsII.com or join the Dark Souls II conversation on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/DARKSOULS or follow us on Twitter at www.Twitter.com/Filthierich
So it's a new world, and a new setting. Makes some sense. The only reason Dark Souls had a different name from Demon's Souls is to sidestep legal headaches. So this one may as well be called Demon's Souls III.

Still, after being so invested in the world set out in Dark Souls, it's a little sad they'll be essentially starting over.

By that same token... a whole new world and setting to explore :daiba:

Cool! Thanks for the info, Walter! It scares me that they say they're now going to take a "very dark path" in the second game. I may be crazy, but I thought the story/world of the first game was utterly dark and depressing. So it scares me to think of where they could go from there. :magni:

SlimeBeherit

[FIGHT][SPELL] [SACRIFICE][ITEM]
The Good Reverend Skeleton said:
I may be crazy, but I thought the story/world of the first game was utterly dark and depressing.

It's that damn Firelink Shrine song! makes me wanna give up before i even start up a play session.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome news! And I'm glad they're going for a new world/setting. Dark Souls' world was rich, but its tale had been told.

Are we sure it's a completely new story with absolutely no relation to Dark Souls lore?

I mean the first line "You are of the Undead..."

The story of Gwyn and Lordran has been told for sure, but there are other Gods specifically mentioned in Dark Souls that never show up at all, only referenced.

Dark Souls II will feature a new hero, a new storyline, and an unfamiliar world for players to survive...

I think by unfamiliar world, he simply means not Lordran.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
Are we sure it's a completely new story with absolutely no relation to Dark Souls lore?
I think by unfamiliar world, he simply means not Lordran.
We're not really sure of anything, but when they say new world and new story, I take it to mean the difference will be along the same lines as Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. That being said, Lordran is a kingdom (the realm of lords) in the world of Dark Souls. Other kingdoms include Carim, Catalina, Thorolund, Vinheim, etc. But I wouldn't call those "worlds," necessarily.

Some new info from Edge magazine:

Speaking with the publication, game director Tomohiro Shibuya explained that Dark Souls 2 will differ in more ways than one from its predecessors.

"I am personally the sort of person who likes to be more direct than subtle," Shibuya said. "[Dark Souls 2] will be more straightforward and understandable."

Shibuya and Yui Tanimura replace former game director Hidetaka Miyazaki.
They're toeing a very dangerous line here. But I have faith that they know what made Dark Souls great, and will follow up on it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
The story of Gwyn and Lordran has been told for sure, but there are other Gods specifically mentioned in Dark Souls that never show up at all, only referenced.

They worked well enough as background lore though, while all the main guys were all taken care of. If it built upon what happened in the first game, I'd expect it to introduce new characters and reuse only little from the first game. I'd like to see Velka I guess, but that's about it.

Walter said:
They're toeing a very dangerous line here. But I have faith that they know what made Dark Souls great, and will follow up on it.

Yeah... Not being straightforward is one of the reasons I liked Dark Souls so much.

Top Bottom